My dream Dragon Ball home release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

My dream Dragon Ball home release

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:16 pm

I dream of a world....where we Dragon Ball fans finally have a perfect home release, something that outclasses the Dragon Boxes and the Level Sets both. Something that can answer the golden question: "What is the best way to buy and watch Dragon Ball in North America?" Here is what I want in my dream release.

1: A three-in-one release that encompasses Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball GT.
2: A separate release that encompasses the four Dragon Ball movies, the 13 Dragon Ball Z movies, the two TV specials, and the the GT TV special.
3: A remastered English dub track for Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, because their subs SUUUUUUCK
4: The video will be in 4:3 aspect ratio, and at 1080p resolution. It's fine if you want 4K, but I'm fine with 1080p.
5: To get the footage to 1080p, they will perform a frame by frame remastering process for the video on the same level as the Level Sets.
6: The audio will come from the original broadcast, which is in FUNimation's hands at the moment.
7: The New dub will also extend to the movies and TV specials.

But yeah, those are just my ideas of a dream Dragon Ball home release. What would yours be?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: My dream Dragon Ball home release

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:31 pm

I guess I'd be over-the-moon happy if Toei just did a Blu-ray release of the three series with no DNR or green tint off of the original film. I would be more than happy with that. As for Funimation releases, if they did their Level Set treatment with the original film. The Level Sets are highly regarded, but knowing they they're still not remastering the original film would make me feel like it's still not as ideal as it could be.

Otherwise, I'd love an Ocean/Westwood abs Blue Water dub release. I don't even care about the video quality--it's all for high quality audio. If they did a release that looked worse than the Orange Bricks but had high quality audio, I'd be over the moon. Oh, and Ocean Kai.

So yeah, it really just comes down to releasing the best possible video presentation for me (except the Canadian dub). Otherwise, I wouldn't even want then to bother.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:57 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:31 pm I guess I'd be over-the-moon happy if Toei just did a Blu-ray release of the three series with no DNR or green tint off of the original film. I would be more than happy with that. As for Funimation releases, if they did their Level Set treatment with the original film. The Level Sets are highly regarded, but knowing they they're still not remastering the original film would make me feel like it's still not as ideal as it could be.

Otherwise, I'd love an Ocean/Westwood abs Blue Water dub release. I don't even care about the video quality--it's all for high quality audio. If they did a release that looked worse than the Orange Bricks but had high quality audio, I'd be over the moon. Oh, and Ocean Kai.

So yeah, it really just comes down to releasing the best possible video presentation for me (except the Canadian dub). Otherwise, I wouldn't even want then to bother.
I just gave up on FUNimation by now. It's clear they'll never create a competent home release ever again. Which is why they need to GET THEIR DBZ LICENSE FUCKING REVOKED

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:07 pm

Broadcast audio.

I will never support an official release without the broadcast audio.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:13 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:57 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:31 pm I guess I'd be over-the-moon happy if Toei just did a Blu-ray release of the three series with no DNR or green tint off of the original film. I would be more than happy with that. As for Funimation releases, if they did their Level Set treatment with the original film. The Level Sets are highly regarded, but knowing they they're still not remastering the original film would make me feel like it's still not as ideal as it could be.

I just gave up on FUNimation by now. It's clear they'll never create a competent home release ever again. Which is why they need to GET THEIR DBZ LICENSE FUCKING REVOKED
I don't think I agree with that. They've become the definitive English version of the series. But yes, their releases are absurd. It's puzzling, really. They're doing so well everywhere else. They've really become an anime juggernaut and their app is great (navigation sucks, but it's so rich in content). And yet, they just keep striking out with Dragon Ball. But I think ditching them at this point would harm the series in English-speaking markets because they really are the English version of the Dragon Ball series.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 pm

People acting like in a hypothetical scenario where FUNimation loses the license and a new company picked up the license the new company wouldn’t just continue to use the Funi dub. The only things that would change would be

1. Possibly better home video releases
2. Possible loss of U.S music option
3. Maaaaaybe a new cast for any new content (but let’s be real any potential new licensee would probably continue to use the Texas cast out of fear of alienating fans)

Like, no company is going to redub 800+ episodes , 20 movies and 3 specials worth of content. The Funi dub is going nowhere regardless if FUNimation ever lost the license.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:11 pm

I mean, i caved and got the Dragon Boxes because realistically i'm not betting on FUNi getting their act together and putting out a better release of DBZ. It wasn't by any means an easy or ideal option but didn't have much of a choice as far as having a complete and consistent 4:3 collection of the series. Given that the other available releases are mediocre to awful, i knew that was my only real option pricey though it was.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:59 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 pm Like, no company is going to redub 800+ episodes , 20 movies and 3 specials worth of content. The Funi dub is going nowhere regardless if FUNimation ever lost the license.
Unless Funi tried to charge them an extortionate amount to license their dubs. If that were the case, I could picture a new company preferring to just produce their own dub instead with the added incentive of having complete control over the scripts and casting (because they might not want to deal with previous actors and pay their price tags going forward). Also, from a marketing perspective, "dubbed faithfully for the first time" (regarding the series at least) would be enough to turn heads and drum up some interest.

Not saying it's realistic in this day and age, just that it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility if Funi weren't willing to negotiate a fair deal. I think only a company the size of Netflix or Amazon would be willing to front the money for a complete series redub though.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:17 am

NitroEX wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:59 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 pm Like, no company is going to redub 800+ episodes , 20 movies and 3 specials worth of content. The Funi dub is going nowhere regardless if FUNimation ever lost the license.
Unless Funi tried to charge them an extortionate amount to license their dubs. If that were the case, I could picture a new company preferring to just produce their own dub instead with the added incentive of having complete control over the scripts and casting (because they might not want to deal with previous actors and pay their price tags going forward). Also, from a marketing perspective, "dubbed faithfully for the first time" (regarding the series at least) would be enough to turn heads and drum up some interest.

Not saying it's realistic in this day and age, just that it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility if Funi weren't willing to negotiate a fair deal. I think only a company the size of Netflix or Amazon would be willing to front the money for a complete series redub though.

If FUNimation loses the license they don’t have the ability to charge anything for it. It reverts back to being Toei’s property.

Also the actors are notoriously paid low so I’m not sure where this high price tag is coming from.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:19 am

Honestly if Funimation didn't lose the license over the whole outtakes scandal (and for the record even back when it happened I didn't think they would lose it) I don't think they ever will. It would have to take a huge buyout from someone like Disney, or as has been said Amazon (possibly not Netflix, as I don't believe their business model of being funded by debt is sustainable and will eventually bite them in the ass) for them to ever consider selling or not renewing their license. TOEI will also likely always be happy to let them renew as the two companies are in great standing with each other.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:48 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:17 am If FUNimation loses the license they don’t have the ability to charge anything for it. It reverts back to being Toei’s property.

Also the actors are notoriously paid low so I’m not sure where this high price tag is coming from.
I don't know the details of their contract so it's difficult to say for sure, but Toei and Turner theoretically had the opportunity to utilize the Funimation dub of Super for SEA but chose to make a brand new one with Bang Zoom. We can't always predict what large companies will do or if Funimation's option comes with added cost.

Most of the Funimation cast are paid low, but at this point, the older cast members have negotiated better deals for themselves, Chuck Huber alluded to this on twitter. You also have guys like Schemmel who have leverage and almost certainly used it to negotiate himself a better deal, he wouldn't still be doing it otherwise as he lives and works outside of Texas, it's one of the only anime roles he still does with Funimation outside of Mars Red. And then you have Sabat who owns the recording studio and is apparently an influential guy at Funimation. I don't think he'd go along with whatever a new company wanted unless he was paid rather well. He was always on salary with Funimation even when they first went in-house.

This doesn't even consider company politics, if there were sour grapes at Funi over losing such a license, how would the higher-ups view actors who worked for the new company? Would they still cast them for other anime roles as frequently? Would those actors want to risk no longer being in the good graces of Funi for one DB role? I don't know if a lot of them would want the trouble unless Funi gave it the go-ahead.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:41 am

NitroEX wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:48 am
I don't know the details of their contract so it's difficult to say for sure, but Toei and Turner theoretically had the opportunity to utilize the Funimation dub of Super for SEA but chose to make a brand new one with Bang Zoom. We can't always predict what large companies will do or if Funimation's option comes with added cost.
Again we’re talking about a hypothetical scenario where FUNimation loses the license. If they lost the license they would have no say. None. Zilch. Dragon Ball is not their IP. They don’t get to charge for something they don’t have the rights to. The only thing they would retain the rights for is maybe their music (I say maybe because plenty of dubs where the original dubbing company that used their own music lost the license didn’t cause any issues). So at most any company that obtain Dragon Ball’s license just wouldn’t be able to include the Johnson/Faulconer/Menza music which wouldn’t be a problem since Z and GT’s dubs have defaulted to the Japanese music since 2007.

Most of the Funimation cast are paid low, but at this point, the older cast members have negotiated better deals for themselves, Chuck Huber alluded to this on twitter. You also have guys like Schemmel who have leverage and almost certainly used it to negotiate himself a better deal, he wouldn't still be doing it otherwise as he lives and works outside of Texas, it's one of the only anime things he still does with Funimation outside of Mars Red. And then you have Sabat who owns the recording studio and is apparently an influential guy at Funimation. I don't think he'd go along with whatever a new company wanted unless he was paid rather well. He was always on salary with Funimation even when they first went in-house.

This doesn't even consider company politics, if there were sour grapes at Funi over losing such a license, how would the higher-ups view actors who worked for the new company? Would they still cast them for other anime roles as frequently? Would those actors want to risk no longer being in the good graces of Funi for one DB role? I don't know if a lot of them would want the hassle unless Funi gave the green light.

Which is why there’s a very low chance that in this hypothetical scenario a new company would use a new cast to record any new material. But all the existing stuff? Nah it would be the same Funi dub.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:27 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:41 am Which is why there’s a very low chance that in this hypothetical scenario a new company would use a new cast to record any new material.
I think you meant to say the other way around. There's a higher chance of using a new cast for newer material to avoid the Funi baggage.
But all the existing stuff? Nah it would be the same Funi dub.
Depends on the series and who has the license. I couldn't see anyone bothering with a new dub for GT but DBZ is still popular enough that it could be considered, especially if the company was a streaming giant like Amazon or Netflix. They'd be making their money back over a longer period of time the dub would be exclusive to their platform. If it was just a one time home release by some low-end distributor then yeah, they'd be more likely to just reuse old material.
Last edited by NitroEX on Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:51 am

NitroEX wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:27 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:41 am Which is why there’s a very low chance that in this hypothetical scenario a new company would use a new cast to record any new material.
I think you meant to say the other way around. There's a higher chance of using a new cast for newer material to avoid the Funi baggage.
No, I definitely meant low. It’s really doubtful the actors would cause any trouble or be too expensive.

Depends on the series and who has the license. I couldn't see anyone bothering with a new dub for GT but DBZ is still popular enough that it could be considered, especially if the company was a streaming giant like Amazon or Netflix. They'd be making their money back over a longer period of time. If it was just a home release by some low-end distributor then yeah, they'd be more likely to just reuse old material.
No. Redubbing 291 episodes when people are so attached to the current dub to practically treating it like religion isn’t going to happen. It wouldn’t be worth the cost. I know fans want to believe in a chance for a faithful redub but it just isn’t going to happen. The Funi Z dub and cast is too well liked to be bothered. Netflix and Amazon wouldn’t spend money doing all that regardless if they could because they stand to make more money leaving it as is.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:06 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:51 am No, I definitely meant low. It’s really doubtful the actors would cause any trouble or be too expensive.
I've already given reasons as to why this wouldn't be as straightforward as you imply but you want to ignore it so whatever.
No. Redubbing 291 episodes when people are so attached to the current dub to practically treating it like religion isn’t going to happen. It wouldn’t be worth the cost. I know fans want to believe in a chance for a faithful redub but it just isn’t going to happen. The Funi Z dub and cast is too well liked to be bothered. Netflix and Amazon wouldn’t spend money doing all that regardless if they could because they stand to make more money leaving it as is.
There would be disgruntled fans but Netflix in particular is no stranger to that, if anything they seem to enjoy causing controversy, or at the very least sparking discussion about a show they have. You're also assuming a whole series needs to be dubbed in one go, it would be paid off on an ongoing basis. As long as demand is consistent and rising (in other words, people keep watching and subscribing), new dubbed episodes would be paid for and added to the service. There's also the exclusivity of a new dub vs the old dub that everyone has seen before. The only way to see their version would be behind a paywall (and possible a home release later down the line).

It's not a sure thing by any means but there are plenty of arguments in favour of a redub for a streaming business.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:30 pm

NitroEX wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:06 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:51 am No, I definitely meant low. It’s really doubtful the actors would cause any trouble or be too expensive.
I've already given reasons as to why this wouldn't be as straightforward as you imply but you want to ignore it so whatever.
I didn’t ignore it nor did I saw it was straight forward. I never dismissed the possibility of a cast change. But you seem to be under the impression that FUNimation owns the actor’s souls and pays them millions of dollar per episode. They may be paid better (the legacy actors anyways) but they’re not exactly getting mansions paid for by FUNimation. Given the potential risk of pissing fans off with a new cast a potential new licensee would probably just match the actor’s existing pay to keep them. But again I fully concede that a company may also decide to save money by hiring sound a likes.

I gotta say I find it amusing you think a company wouldn’t be willing to match the Texas cast pay for future products but would go through the effort and cost of completely redubbing Z.

Like…just think about that for maybe a second.

There would be disgruntled fans but Netflix in particular is no stranger to that, if anything they seem to enjoy causing controversy, or at the very least sparking discussion about a show they have. You're also assuming a whole series needs to be dubbed in one go, it would be paid off on an ongoing basis. As long as demand is consistent and rising (in other words, people keep watching and subscribing), new dubbed episodes would be paid for and added to the service. There's also the exclusivity of a new dub vs the old dub that everyone has seen before. The only way to see their version would be behind a paywall (and possible a home release later down the line).

It's not a sure thing by any means but there are plenty of arguments in favour of a redub for a streaming business.

It’s like you’re completely ignoring reality.

Redubbing 291 episodes is not cheap. And especially when the current dub still sells well and is constantly getting re-released? There is absolutely no incentive for any company to bring on a new dub. This isn’t like Neon Genesis Evangelion which only had 26 episodes and was never near as popular as Dragon Ball was or Sailor Moon where the property was completely wiped from the west for over a decade and had missing episodes and a whole undubbed season.

When it would be significantly cheaper and thus more profitable to release the already completed uncut dub as is? Yeah as some point you need to apply common sense.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:45 pm

I honestly have no idea why people are still hoping for a redub. I mean, even if they stuck to the original series, Z, and GT, it would still be 508 episodes, 3 specials, and 17 movies they would have to dub. No dubbing studio would try dubbing such an inhuman amount of material in a reasonable time span. And besides, there isn't much demand for it either. Outside a vocal minority of critics, most people are fine with the dub, and some people even love it. If they redubbed the show, the general reaction would be either indifference or rage.

My main wish for an ideal Dragon Ball release would be mainly focused on video and audio quality. Use upscaled Dragon Box footage like the upcoming Latin American release will, but with mild grain reduction and color correction. If Toei ever lets them use it, use the broadcast audio for the Japanese version, but if they don't, try enhancing the optical audio instead. I'll probably put my full concept for the set in the home release ideas thread.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:52 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:30 pm But you seem to be under the impression that FUNimation owns the actor’s souls and pays them millions of dollar per episode.
I never said or implied that. I just gave valid logical reasons why actors might not want to jump on board a new production by a different company when they're tied so closely to Funimation. In the case of the main two (Sabat and Schemmel), they wouldn't likely receive the same special treatment with a new company. All of that is completely valid but your conclusion is that I'm just dumb...

Honestly, you seem have a habit of jumping to the worst possible interpretation of what's being said, it comes across as arguing in bad faith, that or you're just lacking in comprehension.
They may be paid better (the legacy actors anyways) but they’re not exactly getting mansions paid for by FUNimation.
No, but the VAs working out of Texas rely on consistent jobs from Funimation as it's the only game in town for anime dubs, outside of places like LA. And again, I'm not saying Funimation were paying them generously just for Dragon Ball recordings, Schemmel might be the exception to that because he's not relying on Funi's anime work, but the rest of them will be factoring in the total work across all the shows they dub (and most of the time it's for Funi).
Given the potential risk of pissing fans off with a new cast a potential new licensee would probably just match the actor’s existing pay to keep them. But again I fully concede that a company may also decide to save money by hiring sound a likes.
If the negotiations with the old cast worked out and they agreed to the terms of the new company, but it's no guarantee those negotiations would go smoothly. Particularly if many of those actors relied on work from Funimation, or if Funimation disapproved of actors working on that dub.

You're assuming a Netflix/Amazon places such a high value on not pissing off the nostalgic fans in the first place. We don't know what their priorities might be with this, especially if they eventually planned on dubbing future material with a new cast. If that was the case they'd be expecting backlash regardless. And as I've already said (which you've predictably ignored) Netflix is no stranger to controversy.

Now I will add that Netflix tends to push for live-action versions of anime properties they acquire as that's something they can own, so their focus may be on gauging the franchise reception for that eventual goal instead. But something like DBZ is a big deal in the anime content landscape. It would be hard to acquire and would be treated as a massive event similar to Evangelion if they did get it. It would be a series they'd milk for years to come for audiences new and old. They wouldn't have to just be prioritising the needs of nostalgic fans alone, they'd also want to recommend it to new viewers but the quality of the dub is questionable to new viewers, especially those who didn't grow up with it. The possibility of a redub wouldn't be unthinkable for a company with such deep pockets, I think they'd be smart enough to at least consider the option.
I gotta say I find it amusing you think a company wouldn’t be willing to match the Texas cast pay for future products but would go through the effort and cost of completely redubbing Z. Like…just think about that for maybe a second.
You're only thinking about them wanting the Texas cast to appease the old crowd regardless of how they themselves feel about the creative decisions behind that dub. What if they don't like Barry Watson's legacy casting choices and don't want that going forward? What if they don't even want sound-alikes? (shock horror!) The reality is the Funimation cast aren't A-list stars by any means, they're not beyond replacing to a Netflix executive.

If they felt they could present the series better with a fresh cast who also happen to be less expensive and with fewer demands, it's a win from their perspective. Has nothing to do with being cheap, it's that someone like Schemmel or Sabat might not be viewed as worth the extra cost to an outside company. They're just another anime voice actor to them.
It’s like you’re completely ignoring reality.

Redubbing 291 episodes is not cheap. [...] There is absolutely no incentive for any company to bring on a new dub. When it would be significantly cheaper and thus more profitable to release the already completed uncut dub as is? Yeah as some point you need to apply common sense.
Condescending as always. And I've already given incentives as to why a new dub would be appealing but I digress.

Everyone knows it's not cheap, but they wouldn't be taking the brunt of that cost upfront which is the point I was making. If it's dubbed over the course of years it's significantly more doable, the cost would be mitigated if it were to happen. Don't take that as me saying it will happen, it's just an if. Subscribers would naturally return when new episodes are added if they like the dub, if they didn't like it the Japanese version would be there.

I can agree that the home release model would never be realistic to finance a new dub at this stage. That well has been run dry by Funi themselves, but it is more of a possibility in the realm of streaming services which is why I brought it up as a possibility. But of course, it's only a possibility if, by some act of God, Funi lost the license and it landed in the right hands.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:30 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:13 pm
FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:57 pm

I don't think I agree with that. They've become the definitive English version of the series. But yes, their releases are absurd. It's puzzling, really. They're doing so well everywhere else. They've really become an anime juggernaut and their app is great (navigation sucks, but it's so rich in content). And yet, they just keep striking out with Dragon Ball. But I think ditching them at this point would harm the series in English-speaking markets because they really are the English version of the Dragon Ball series.
That's not why I said that. I said that because FUNimation has screwed us all over one too many times over now. From their shitty dubs to their lackluster home releases, to their questionable reputation and their controversial workers. From the Vic Mignogna allegations which nobody talks about anymore, to Monica Rial filing a lawsuit against Vic Mignogna's ass claiming that he sexually assaulted her in 2007.

All in all, FUNimation is a damn mess of a company and I wouldn't trust them with Dragon Ball even if my life depended on it.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:31 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:30 pm . From the Vic Mignogna allegations which nobody talks about anymore, to Monica Rial filing a lawsuit against Vic Mignogna's ass claiming that he sexually assaulted her in 2007.
Yeah you probably should just not…