Looking back, most transformations in Z were just lazy ways to extend the fight

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Looking back, most transformations in Z were just lazy ways to extend the fight

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:57 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:55 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:24 pm For example, people often say that Cell looked creepier in his first insectoid form, but it can't be denied that Perfect Cell is far more marketable, popular, iconic, well-known than every other form of Cell...
Hmm... I wonder why?... :think:
The design was...perfect
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Looking back, most transformations in Z were just lazy ways to extend the fight

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:26 pm

I like Frieza's 3rd form, not just because it's a cool reference to Alien, but because it furthers the message that everyone is completely and hopelessly screwed. We'd had transforming villains before Frieza, but he has multiple transformations, which makes him all the more scary. Like even if they beat the next form he still has another, and he never seems truly afraid.

I also like that his forms get increasingly more OTT, then his strongest form is a smaller and much more basic design.

Cell made sense because his whole story was built around attaining said forms.

I love the reveal of Evil Buu because it's such an unsettling moment. Up to that point Buu had been an unstoppable killing machine, but you always got the sense that he was more dangerously naive than truly evil. Evil/Super Buu was scary because he had all that power and was genuinely a sadistic monster at his core. He did feel less creepy and intimidating when he started absorbing people, but the forms still looked cool at least, and his mind games with Gohan made that fight more interesting.

Kid Buu was insane and unpredictable, which made him feel distinct enough from the other Buu's to justify his existence.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:00 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:47 am
Jord wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:45 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:54 am I can’t believe a villain becoming more powerful is a useful storytelling technique to heighten the tension!!!!! Whaaaat?
It's not when it's earned. When it comes out of nowhere it's an ass pull.
Can you give examples of coming out of nowhere?
Fat Majin Buu splittling in 2 and then becoming Super Buu.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:57 am

Jord wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:00 am

We can accept his transfiguration powers and his ability to put himself back together but the demonic genie splitting himself into two, when that was the established backstory of another character that involves just that, is too much?
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:03 am

Jord wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:00 am

The circumstances of it renders that moot. Everything's an "asspull" if you give it enough scrutiny. What's more important is if it's executed well.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:14 am

Yeah, Buu is a magical genie made of flubber that can regenerate from nothing and has people living inside of him. Later on, his split is explained, so where's the rub?

I like Buu's transformations, I like that his final, real form is weaker than his previous forms but at the same time it's the most dangerous.
Like a reminder that the level of power they are dealing with is still more than enough to blow up everything, only they have been using it "wisely", but just a drop of it will fuck everything up for good. So it's not about how powerful you are, but how you use that, so be glad Cell never aimed down.

Being like a child goes great with the spontaneity of his behaviour.