Long Live Chris Ayres

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Long Live Chris Ayres

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:31 pm

Rest in peace. He was without question my favourite actor from the English dub. You could just tell from his performance that he loved his craft. He even pushed through and continued to play Freeza in Broly and the Super anime while he was sick. If you've watched him in interviews he was so passionate about his work and you could see that he was such a genuine and loving person.

Incredibly sad. He'll be dearly missed. My heart goes out to his family and the people that were close to him.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:18 pm

Rest in peace to THE Frieza. He gave us such incredible work.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:20 pm

This is so horrible. Rest in peace. He clearly had such a positive impact. He will absolutely be missed.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:02 am

Just came to pay my respects.

You did a wonderful job, Chris. You loved the work, you loved the community and the community loved you back.

You breathed life into US Frieza, gave his voice this amazing edge like water sizzling, about to burst out of the tank. Which is what Frieza was all about.

Rest in Peace.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:16 am

Even knowing Chris's health issues, this is no less devastating than it would have been had we not known anything at all.

Rest in peace to an extraordinary VA and extraordinary person.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:40 am

He was one hell of a voice actor. And he loved playing Frieza. I still can't believe he did the Broly movie with oxygen tanks waiting for a double lung transplant.

I was really happy seeing him and his brother Greg Ayers voice Frieza and Frost together in Super.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:53 am

Devastating news. As has been said Ayres was not only perfectly cast as Freeza, but he was also a great guy, so full of life and humour.

To Chris Ayres, wherever you are now, your work as Freeza in Kai, Super, and the last two movies will forever be cherished. We thank you for all of it, and how you persevered to keep going even when you didn't have to.

RIP.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

GhostEmperorX
Regular

Post by GhostEmperorX » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:34 am

The bad news just about came out of nowhere. His performance was true to the original idea & execution of Freeza’s character by Nakao. Gone too soon, didn’t even know that his ailment was this bad.
My condolences to all those in his immediate life for their loss.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:41 am

I'll never forget Kai's first English airing, and all of the speculation and hints from people in the know about the new English Freeza, and finally, when he makes his appearance, it's Chris Ayres. But it's the tail end of the episode, and some people (myself included) felt a little bit underwhelmed, because it ALMOST seemed that he was slightly tapping into the same kind of voice Newstone and Young gave the character, but it was only a brief line at the very end of the episode.

It didn't take long for it to become apparent how amazingly perfect he really was to be cast as Freeza. His performance excited me to watch every upcoming episode of the Freeza arc of Kai more than I already expected to be. It's become a huge nostalgic memory from my time in the Dragon Ball fandom, probably rivaling my sentimental feelings for having watched the old Saban-era FUNimation dub as a very young kid.

I'll always cherish those memories, and I'll always cherish Ayres and his performance as Freeza. It's a huge loss, and I'm going to miss him greatly. May he rest in peace.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:19 am

Oh no, I can’t believe it! Man, I respected him a lot for his voice of Freeza...he will be missed
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

The Accountant
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Accountant » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:56 am

Heartbreaking. Wasn't expecting this at all. May you rest in peace.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:57 am

i loved him. He was so awesome. I wish that he's at peace now.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:10 am

Very sad news. RIP Chris . Condolences to his family and friends

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:00 am

One of few people associated with Funimation i respected. :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:12 am

Really sad news, never been a fan of english dub, but I was happy for the english audience when Chris was announced as the voice of Freeza, after the atrocious Z dub from before.

Even more, when I was curious and heard his performance for the first time in Kai dub on youtube and later in some games,
he was really the closest thing to Ryusei Nakao's Freeza and nailed the character in his own right.
His was one of the real stand-out performances in the new dub.

My condolences to a great performer and actor.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Dragon Sponge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Sponge » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:49 am

These are really Sad news, i myself did know only passivly about him, but from what i saw and heard about him, he was a really great Guy and will deeply be missed. And when it comes to his Frieza Voice from the Clips i saw, i have to agree that he did an Awesome Job there indeed.

My Condolence to his Family and Friends, may he Rest in Piece...

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:47 am

Oh so sad, he was so young, may he rest in peace. Freeza was one of the few characters whose VA in japanese, english and spanish always sounded similar to me.

It's sad and shocking to see people we've grew up on pass away. Bulma's japanese VA, Gohan's latin VA, Freeza's english VA...

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:08 am

He was sick for awhile right? Pretty sure he hasn't been the voice of Freeza even before Fighterz.

But yeah..of all the new VAs from Kai, Ayers impressed me the most with his version of Freeza. Just really well done that captures the quiet monstrosity of that character. Rest in Power, mah dude.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:15 am

kemuri07 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:08 am He was sick for awhile right? Pretty sure he hasn't been the voice of Freeza even before Fighterz.

But yeah..of all the new VAs from Kai, Ayers impressed me the most with his version of Freeza. Just really well done that captures the quiet monstrosity of that character. Rest in Power, mah dude.
He had COPD for the last 5 years or so. He was still sharing the role with Daman Mills, as in the Resurrection F arc of Super he handled most of the speaking dialogue while Mills did the more strenuous parts. And later on in the TOP, Mills played Frieza on the TV version while Chris Ayres went back and recorded all the lines himself for the DVD releases. And Ayres also played Frieza in DBS Broly with no assistance, which I believe was his final role.

Daman Mills is a great substitute for Ayres, though. Only more astute viewers will notice the difference (Mills is a bit rougher while Ayres is more soft-spoken and elegant)
Last edited by jjgp1112 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:17 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:15 am
kemuri07 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:08 am He was sick for awhile right? Pretty sure he hasn't been the voice of Freeza even before Fighterz.

He had COPD for the last 5 years or so. He was still sharing the role with Damian Mills, as in the Resurrection F arc of Super he handled most of the speaking dialogue while Damian Mills did the more strenuous parts. And later on in the TOP, Damian Mills played Frieza on the TV version while Chris Ayres went back and recorded all the lines himself for the DVD releases. And Ayres also played Frieza in DBS Broly with no assistance, which I believe was his final role.

Damian Mills is a great substitute for Ayres, though. Only more astute viewers will notice the difference.
Yeah, I had been under the impression it was Ayres the entire time watching Super, and remember being shocked to learn it wasn't. And I'm normally pretty good at telling vocal differences. Mills was stellar.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.