Long Live Chris Ayres

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Long Live Chris Ayres

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:55 pm

Rest in peace. It was always so sad reading about what he had to go through in his last years. Truly heartbreaking.
JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:08 pm
I didn't want to bring this up so soon but I definitely hate seeing how our healthcare system is so broken like this. There is zero reason a sick person should have to worry about goddamned bills when he have the resources to compensate insure nobody--patient or healthcare worker--should have to worry their livelihood.

My dad was on oxygen for the last few years of his life. I know what it's like seeing someone slowly physically erode. It's not pleasant. Most of my dad's bills were covered by his military retirement. There's no reason anyone else should be denied that grace.

Anyway, fuck FUNimation, fuck capitalism and fuck our healthcare system. Ayres should not have had to worry about that shit in his final days.
Honestly, this. Free healthcare should be top priority for any country that doesn't have it and the alternative is fucking barbarism.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:09 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:26 pm I don’t know if being able to afford the bills would have improved his situation, but I still believe Funimation should have given him more insurance (if they didn’t give it at all). He was a well respected voice actor for DBS, after all!
In non-union productions (which the dub of DBS was), actors are legally considered independent contractors. As such, they do not qualify for employer-sponsored health insurance. In union productions, actors are indeed classified as employees and have the chance to qualify for health insurance through SAG-AFTRA...but even then, in order to qualify, they need to make a certain amount of money in union job earnings.

Not to go off-topic and turn this into a discussion about the U.S. healthcare system, of course, but...yeah, whether a single-payer healthcare system would have saved Chris or not, it is admittedly pretty messed up that the richest country in the world doesn't have a single-payer healthcare system like pretty much every other developed country.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:54 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:09 am
PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:26 pm I don’t know if being able to afford the bills would have improved his situation, but I still believe Funimation should have given him more insurance (if they didn’t give it at all). He was a well respected voice actor for DBS, after all!
In non-union productions (which the dub of DBS was), actors are legally considered independent contractors. As such, they do not qualify for employer-sponsored health insurance. In union productions, actors are indeed classified as employees and have the chance to qualify for health insurance through SAG-AFTRA...but even then, in order to qualify, they need to make a certain amount of money in union job earnings.

Not to go off-topic and turn this into a discussion about the U.S. healthcare system, of course, but...yeah, whether a single-payer healthcare system would have saved Chris or not, it is admittedly pretty messed up that the richest country in the world doesn't have a single-payer healthcare system like pretty much every other developed country.
The long and short of it is its far easier for smaller well-developed countries to have single-payer healthcare then a massive one with many different states like ours. The cost to switch over to single-pay would be astronomical and i'm not sure higher taxes alone would even cover it.

Don't get me wrong I wish we had it, but logistically speaking it's not hard to see why it isn't been implemented here yet.

Funimation isn't to blame for what happened to Ayers, don't agree with that at all, he just got dealt a bad hand by life.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:37 am

KingVegetto wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:54 amFunimation isn't to blame for what happened to Ayers, don't agree with that at all, he just got dealt a bad hand by life.
I certainly don't want to give the impression that I was blaming FUNimation for this, so I apologize if I did. The majority of the VO industry is non-union at this point anyway.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:14 pm

This is so incredibly sad, over the past few years I really thought there was a chance he was pulling through. There’s been so much death this past year, don’t take anything for granted and know how short life can be. Try to see the good even in the midst of all the bad. Know that people love you even if it may not always seem that way.

Farewell to the greatest English Freeza.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:48 pm

This was Krystal in Freeza cosplay, right? With Ayres doing the impression behind her?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7va89HDSB4
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:30 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:48 pm This was Krystal in Freeza cosplay, right? With Ayres doing the impression behind her?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7va89HDSB4
I believe that is the case. There is also a video of Chris and Krystal cosplaying as the Seventh Doctor and Ace (one of my favorite Doctor-companion pairs). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L6rb6v9H2M
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:26 pm

In memory of the great Chris Ayres I'd like to say that as much hate as the Nicktoons cut of Funi Kai gets Ayres absolutely nailed the TV-safe dialogue and made it fun to listen to.

Worth noting the dialogue in the Nicktoons dub wasn't drastically different from what was put on the home releases. In this case Funimation replaced "etch this into your skull" with "burn this into your mind" and "to die in disgrace at the hands of your master" with "to be crushed like an insect at the whim of your master".

Nonetheless, whether edited or uncut Ayres was always a joy to listen to, and the shining star of both versions of the Kai dub, and everything where we had Freeza since (Super, Resurrection F, Broly).

The man was with us for a good time, not a long one, but what a good time it was, for Freeza to finally be done right in English.

With a performance like no other, Ayres you will never be forgotten. :thumbup:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:15 am

Now that you mentioned it I also liked that Chris was all for more new people watching Dragon Ball. That said, he was nice enough to say that while Toonzai edited a lot out of the show people shouldnt hate kid friendly broadcasts.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:59 pm

Condolences to his friends and loved ones.

May they find solace knowing that his phenomenal voicework will be here forever.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:35 pm

@kingvegetto yeah but I think the healthcare system needs an overhaul that can work for America. the affordable healthcare act wasn’t the right way to go about it I don’t think. the current system is beyond awful.