Long Live Chris Ayres

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Long Live Chris Ayres

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:37 pm

Guys... I'm here to bring you some very sad news...

Our beloved English voice of Freeza, the legendary Christopher Ayres... has passed away... :(

I can't believe I just typed those words... I'm still in shock...

He will forever be an amazing Freeza, maybe the definitive English voice of Freeza.

My heart goes out to Krystal, his wife, and the rest of his family.

Thank you very much, Mr. Chris. For all the good memories. May you Rest In Peace.

:cry:
Last edited by Dragon Ball Gus on Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caulifla best girl! :)

pixie_misa
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Long Live Chris Ayres

Post by pixie_misa » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:37 pm

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:41 pm

Heartbreaking
I knew it was coming when I heard what he had, but still...
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:03 pm

I say with no reservations that Chris Ayres is the single greatest performer to ever work on a Dragon Ball dub. His Freeza is close to the top of my personal list of greatest dub performances of all time. But beyond all that, Chris Ayres was kind, funny, and just and all-around great person from everything I saw and heard about him. My heart breaks for the fandom, for his loving girlfriend, Krystal, his brother, Greg, his mother, his cat, and everyone else who loved him whether they knew him personally or just enjoyed his work. Rest in peace, Mr. Ayres, and thank you for being such a great part of our favorite franchise.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:05 pm

What a tragedy.

A phenomenal voice actor and a great person

RIP Chris Ayres

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:10 pm

May he Rest In Peace.

Kinda knew this was a possibility given what he had, but I always hoped for the best.

Very sad day for the Dragonball community. Loved his work.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:20 pm

I....i can't believe he's gone. Chris nailed Freeza and was great as the character from Kai onward. He's hands down the definitive voice of Freeza in English to me, definitely the best take aside from the great Ryusei Nakao. It will be hard to adjust to him not being around to perform the voice anymore but i guess Damon Mills (Who has done a great voice match on games and other projects when Chris wasn't available) or whoever else will carry on even though it won't be the same.

RIP, Chris. You will be missed by a great many Dragon Ball fans. :(
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:21 pm

So sad.

He said something I really loved - he doesn't like to say anything bad about any of the roles he's done. Even if he didn't enjoy the part, maybe that's someone's favorite of his and he didn't want to ruin it for them.

He sounds like one of the good ones. RIP.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:35 pm

Wow...terrible news for those of us left behind. His performance as Freeza blew me away when I first heard it in Kai; it was actually the biggest part of what got me into Kai. Glad that he was able bring joy to so many people, Devastated for Krystal.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:44 pm

Just heard about this through Geekdom, he posted an absolutely heartbreaking video of him reacting to the news and talking about it. Even as someone who kinda preferred Young's take on Freeza and who wasn't much into Kai, I always did appreciate and respect how much effort Ayers put into making his Freeza more true to the original, so this news was like a gut punch. I mean I knew he was sick but I didn't see him dying so soon.

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:46 pm

My heart stopped when I read the news a few minutes ago. Such a shame: Ayres was a great actor, and he captured Frieza’s personality incredibly well. Any future installments of the dub just won’t feel the same without him. See you in the next dimension, Lord Frieza.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:54 pm

Here's Geekdom's video on it, him and Ayers were close friends(and Ayers helped him get over a bad breakup by telling him about all the times he'd gone through heartbreak) and his father died of the same condition, so the death was especially hard on him:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWQ0w9EJhGg

coltigore

Post by coltigore » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:00 pm

Honestly the best voice in the dub, and a true tragedy. My heart goes out for his family and close friends. :( Sad day for the dragon ball fandom indeed.

Kefla
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kefla » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:13 pm

Terrible news indeed, R.I.P. sir.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:30 pm

It's such a tragedy. Even putting aside how amazing he was as Freeza, he was just a great guy in general. Not to mention incredibly funny...years ago, Ohayacon held a roast of Chris Sabat, where Chris was both the host and a speaker...and my god, he was so. Damn. Funny.

May he rest in peace.

PS: I can't help but be moved by the fact that #LordFrieza is trending on Twitter.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:33 pm

Did not really watch Kai (nor really anything he's dubbed) however my sister and brother would always talk him and how awesome he is lol

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:53 pm

Sad day. Voice actor Jack Angel (Astrotrain, King Zarkon, Ultra Magnus) also passed today. Still RIP Mr. Ayres. Was hoping to meet him at a convention one day. Great Frieza. Was good in Sengoku Basara as well. RIP. :(

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:54 pm

This fucking sucks.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:15 pm

Damn man.. My mom actually just texted me the news once she saw someone share it on her Facebook and I came here to see if you guys were already aware..

It’s a shame man, I guess he never got over whatever his throat condition was and going by the post on Twitter it really did a number on him physically, he didn’t even look the same, it’s scary..

May he rest peacefully in all of Freeza’s Regal Glory..
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:30 pm

Aww damn man 😥😥. R.I.P Chris Ayres.

I grew up with Linda Young voicing Freeza but Chris Ayres to me was the best English dub voice actor for the character