Long Live Chris Ayres

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Long Live Chris Ayres

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:22 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:15 am And Ayres also played Frieza in DBS Broly with no assistance, which I believe was his final role.
Apparently, Ayers the LEGEND had to bring oxygen tanks into the recording studio to recite his lines, and he still did a fantastic job.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:14 pm

Really sad news. He was so young. I'm really going to miss him. For me, he was the star attraction of the "modern-era" of English Dragon Ball dubbing (Kai-onward). One could tell he really enjoyed voicing Freeza from the energy and charisma he brought to the role. I can't imagine what his family and loved ones are going through. I wish them all of the strength and positive vibes in the world during this tough time.

At least he's at peace now. Rest in power, Mr. Ayres. Thanks for everything.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:48 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:22 am
jjgp1112 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:15 am And Ayres also played Frieza in DBS Broly with no assistance, which I believe was his final role.
Apparently, Ayers the LEGEND had to bring oxygen tanks into the recording studio to recite his lines, and he still did a fantastic job.
Not only that, in doing so he was also working with less than 50% lung capacity. Crazy to think Ayres put in such magnificent performances despite all that in Super Broly. I'd argue he was still the best that dub had to offer.

It takes real talent to deliver such ridiculous lines while still sounding so devious and menacing.

Ayres was a mighty man, and his loss will be greatly felt in the English dubs of Dragon Ball for years to come.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:02 pm

RIP Mr Ayres. You made Freeza a truly despicable love-to-hate villain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmL1Nh4muV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be0emSD5ywo

I truly thought he was becoming well and was making progress from his illness. I hope he did not suffer too much at the end.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:29 pm

Sorry to hear that

Mexican voice actors are dying too. This year they shot Gohan's voice.

May he rest in peace.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:38 pm

Man himself confirmed that :( https://twitter.com/chrisayresva/status ... 0140349441
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:44 pm

coola wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:38 pm
Man himself confirmed that :( https://twitter.com/chrisayresva/status ... 0140349441
wow, he had a twitter...I always feel uncomfortable reading through tweets written by a recently deceased person.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:27 pm

This one hurts a lot. Normally I don't get sentimental about deaths outside the family like this, but I've been studying Chris's voice for the past 2 years. I've been actively trying to sound like his Freeza voice and now he's gone, it hurts deep. He had something special about his voice that so far no understudy or impressionist has captured IMO. Daman Mills is great and he still has a lot of promise, but I can hear the subtle difference, no English Freeza hits quite like Ayres to me. I'm glad Ryūsei Nakao, my all-time favorite VA for Freeza is still around, but the Japanese cast is getting older, I don't want any more bad news. I should have prepared myself for this day, but that doesn't make it hurt any less. RIP There will never be another Freeza like Ayres IMO. Godspeed!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:02 pm

Was Broly really the last time he voiced the character?

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:29 pm

RIP Chris Ayres. A fantastic Frieza and a great actor. From what I've seen in interviews he was a really down to earth guy who cared about the fans. It's insane he went on voicing Frieza for all that time. True dedication.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:57 pm

coola wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:38 pm
Despite all of that, he still managed to sound incredible. What an absolute legend.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:40 am

https://youtu.be/9HbDfCBH4gc

One of my favourite scenes, Chris really nailed every scene he was in, but this one I’ll always remember.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:02 am

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:02 pm Was Broly really the last time he voiced the character?
Yes it was. Daman Mills was Freeza in Dragon Ball Z Kakarot, so it seems that after Super Broly Funimation was prepared for the inevitable where Mills would be in the role fully.

I have to say when Mills started off about halfway into episode 26 of Super I did notice his Freeza voice was slightly deeper and more malicious sounding than Ayres. In episode 27 I want to say there was still some Mills in there, but it wasn't as apparent and his and Ayres' performances more or less blended together.

Mills did the best job that I think could be done in terms of emulating Ayres' Freeza, I'm sure TheBlackPaladin could explain in more detail that recasts should always start with their own take rather than sounding exactly like the actor that came before them, but I think whatever preparation Ayres gave Mills was right for his performance to feel natural and flow with what came before.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:10 am

RIP Mr. Ayres. You were by far the best dub Freeza.

I saw him fairly often at a small con I used to go to semi-regularly (I've heard he tended to stay away from the bigger cons and preferred the smaller ones). He always carried a huge mug with him. I never spoke to him personally, but he was a pretty cool guy to watch in panels.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:53 pm

Not only was he a fantastic Frieza but also seemed to be a great guy as well. May he rest in peace.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:01 pm

Always sad when a VA passes. I don't think there was a point I didn't enjoy his Freeza. I still recall not thinking much of Resurrection F except for the parts with Ayres, his performance really carried that film. He was a special talent.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 pm

Always found if disturbing that Ayres needed to resort to a GoFundMe fundraiser to help pay for his medical bills. Shameful that Funimation didn't do more to help. I don't care if his contract stated no health benefits, you're a multi-million dollar company and one of your VAs was literally dying. Take care of him what whatever he needs. RIP Chris.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:08 pm

TVfan721 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 pm Always found if disturbing that Ayres needed to resort to a GoFundMe fundraiser to help pay for his medical bills. Shameful that Funimation didn't do more to help. I don't care if his contract stated no health benefits, you're a multi-million dollar company and one of your VAs was literally dying. Take care of him what whatever he needs. RIP Chris.
I didn't want to bring this up so soon but I definitely hate seeing how our healthcare system is so broken like this. There is zero reason a sick person should have to worry about goddamned bills when he have the resources to compensate insure nobody--patient or healthcare worker--should have to worry their livelihood.

My dad was on oxygen for the last few years of his life. I know what it's like seeing someone slowly physically erode. It's not pleasant. Most of my dad's bills were covered by his military retirement. There's no reason anyone else should be denied that grace.

Anyway, fuck FUNimation, fuck capitalism and fuck our healthcare system. Ayres should not have had to worry about that shit in his final days.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:26 pm

I don’t know if being able to afford the bills would have improved his situation, but I still believe Funimation should have given him more insurance (if they didn’t give it at all). He was a well respected voice actor for DBS, after all!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:29 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:26 pm I don’t know if being able to afford the bills would have improved his situation, but I still believe Funimation should have given him more insurance (if they didn’t give it at all). He was a well respected voice actor for DBS, after all!
The weight of medical bills absolutely destroy a person's mental health.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter