DBZ Remastered Dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: DBZ Remastered Dub

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:24 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:12 pm They could’ve afforded to change more of the bad dialogue from the old season 3 dub. Why were “mondo cool” and Freeza’s backscratcher joke kept in tact?
Seriously, i don't get why face palm inducing lines which were laughably bad attempts at comedy like those were left in. Or for that matter stuff like the "Your shoes came untied" bit. They highlight why the script rewrites were so awful and the "punching up" that the writers did all over the place back then.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:46 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:24 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:12 pm They could’ve afforded to change more of the bad dialogue from the old season 3 dub. Why were “mondo cool” and Freeza’s backscratcher joke kept in tact?
Seriously, i don't get why face palm inducing lines which were laughably bad attempts at comedy like those were left in. Or for that matter stuff like the "Your shoes came untied" bit. They highlight why the script rewrites were so awful and the "punching up" that the writers did all over the place back then.
The “your shoes are untied” joke being kept at least has the excuse that Sean Schemmel didn’t redo any of his dialogue. Plus, Freeza’s dialogue stopped being redubbed at that point, for whatever reason.

Honestly though, I wish FUNimation would stop with the revisionist history, and do a ‘Rock the Dragon’ style re-release for their season 3 content. Hell, release the entire broadcast dub on Blu-ray, assuming it still exists.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:05 pm

Tbh I don’t think changing any of the bad dialog was a priority. I think some of the shitty dialog was ad libbed back in 1999 and the only “change”’for the redub was the actors reading from the recording scripts. That’s probably why most of the redub dialog is exactly the same as the original dialog.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:05 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:46 pm Honestly though, I wish FUNimation would stop with the revisionist history, and do a ‘Rock the Dragon’ style re-release for their season 3 content. Hell, release the entire broadcast dub on Blu-ray, assuming it still exists.
It definitely still exists, and in fact, this was the original pitch and plan for the Rock the Dragon set. It would have been a generally-available DVD release covering the entire original broadcast dub; Ocean 1-53, Funimation 54-276, all as-aired on their first run.
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:05 pm Tbh I don’t think changing any of the bad dialog was a priority. I think some of the shitty dialog was ad libbed back in 1999 and the only “change”’for the redub was the actors reading from the recording scripts. That’s probably why most of the redub dialog is exactly the same as the original dialog.
It's also why some dialogue is actually less accurate; fixes made in the booth by the actors who asked to check the direct translation (which did happen from tiem to time) were not applied.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:35 pm

It definitely still exists, and in fact, this was the original pitch and plan for the Rock the Dragon set. It would have been a generally-available DVD release covering the entire original broadcast dub; Ocean 1-53, Funimation 54-276, all as-aired on their first run.
It strikes me as odd that this wasn't done when actually making the release, but instead they put out only the episodes and three movies that the Ocean cast dubbed. Including the entire 1999-2003 in house dub (no matter how crappy it was production and voice wise) along with that like the initial plan i think would've been a win win because then those folks who watched it back in the day could affordibly own the dub they grew up on. Even still it would make the original version of that a more widely available product without having to spend almost a fortune hunting down the old 80+ volumes of single discs, at least as far as the fans who would want that nostalgia trip of watching the show the way it was truly aired on Cartoon Network/Toonami.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:05 pmIt definitely still exists, and in fact, this was the original pitch and plan for the Rock the Dragon set. It would have been a generally-available DVD release covering the entire original broadcast dub; Ocean 1-53, Funimation 54-276, all as-aired on their first run.
That would have been the ideal release to have in Walmart. People always talk about the "casual buyers" who don't watch the Japanese version. A dub-only run of standard edition DVDs with the broadcast dub sold at a lower MSRP than any of the "season" sets would be perfect for such a market, especially if they retained Dale Kelly's narrations all the way to the Cell arc.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:27 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:11 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:05 pmIt definitely still exists, and in fact, this was the original pitch and plan for the Rock the Dragon set. It would have been a generally-available DVD release covering the entire original broadcast dub; Ocean 1-53, Funimation 54-276, all as-aired on their first run.
That would have been the ideal release to have in Walmart. People always talk about the "casual buyers" who don't watch the Japanese version. A dub-only run of standard edition DVDs with the broadcast dub sold at a lower MSRP than any of the "season" sets would be perfect for such a market, especially if they retained Dale Kelly's narrations all the way to the Cell arc.
Agreed.

Totally boggles my mind that they didn't do this. It would've sold like gangbusters.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:27 pm
Agreed.

Totally boggles my mind that they didn't do this. It would've sold like gangbusters.
Add that Rock the Dragon was released around the time of Toonami’s revival and I’m surprised they didn’t take advantage of that. “Toonami is back now watch the most popular show on Toonami the way it originally aired!”

Pol

Post by Pol » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:02 pm

Ok, final post from me.
This is a pretty surprising amount of feedback, and although I personally am fine with the re-dub, OCEAN RULES. JUST WATCH THE OCEAN DUB FOR BUU SAGA (seriously it's quite good compared to the Fun-house dub) :yawn:
This, I believe is the best rep for the re-dub. https://youtu.be/CwwTD4ql9ak

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:42 pm

Precisely, other franchises like Looney Tunes have DVDs aimed at collectors and more casual ones you see in Walmart for families to grab on a whim, no reason at all why Funimation can't do the same.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:52 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:35 pm
It strikes me as odd that this wasn't done when actually making the release, but instead they put out only the episodes and three movies that the Ocean cast dubbed. Including the entire 1999-2003 in house dub (no matter how crappy it was production and voice wise) along with that like the initial plan i think would've been a win win because then those folks who watched it back in the day could affordibly own the dub they grew up on. Even still it would make the original version of that a more widely available product without having to spend almost a fortune hunting down the old 80+ volumes of single discs, at least as far as the fans who would want that nostalgia trip of watching the show the way it was truly aired on Cartoon Network/Toonami.
It's weird that FUNimation hasn't yet re-released the original broadcast Toonami dub especially for its 20th anniversary of airing.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:25 am

Pol wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:33 am People really don't give it enough credit.

It sounds almost like Kai in terms of VA work, especially the Ginyu Saga.
Now, of course, there are weak links (Linda Young's Frieza and Goku, since the majority of their voice work is from the 1999 OG dub), but it holds up well.

What do ya'll think?

(This is about to be a shitstorm, get ready :lol:)
Need those who actually fit their characters to come back, like Scott McNeil. Also want a more accurate Son Goku. Voiced not only as a kid but as an adult as well. Seriously don’t want Luffy voicing Gohan or Son. May as well have Luffy be Kuririn then, but typical American fan base needs the ‘big boys’ or else they lose testosterone :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:23 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:52 am
It's weird that FUNimation hasn't yet re-released the original broadcast Toonami dub especially for its 20th anniversary of airing.
Yeah, Funimation seem very determined to bury that dub and pretend as if the remastered dub is what aired back in 1999-2003. I don't know if it's that their not proud of their original dub, or if they don't think the demand is there, but clearly in missing that anniversary they have very strong reasons for not re-releasing it. It's definitely a miracle in that regard Rock the Dragon happened when it doesn't even feature the cast their loyalty lies with. Maybe it was simply to promote the narrative the "Ocean dub" (which they called it, as if it wasn't theirs) was the censored for TV version and their remastered dub was the true English dub true fans should want. If so, it's a real shame, because the remastered dub is still not an uncut product when it comes to scripting no matter what way Funimation slice it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:16 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:23 am
JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:52 am

Yeah, Funimation seem very determined to bury that dub and pretend as if the remastered dub is what aired back in 1999-2003. I don't know if it's that their not proud of their original dub, or if they don't think the demand is there, but clearly in missing that anniversary they have very strong reasons for not re-releasing it. It's definitely a miracle in that regard Rock the Dragon happened when it doesn't even feature the cast their loyalty lies with. Maybe it was simply to promote the narrative the "Ocean dub" (which they called it, as if it wasn't theirs) was the censored for TV version and their remastered dub was the true English dub true fans should want. If so, it's a real shame, because the remastered dub is still not an uncut product when it comes to scripting no matter what way Funimation slice it.
I mean, i get quite a few people even within FUNimation itself don't especially Sabat and Schemmel in particular, they'll be among the first to admit they were not good at the time voice performance wise in general is and the dub as for the most part was a poor product. Quite a few people from the early days who were involved in the dub's direction and creative (or lack thereof) decisions such as Barry Watson and Daniel Cocanougher have long since departed from the company. That said, i just find if a shame since the Rock the Dragon set would've been a great opportunity to release that part given it hadn't really been available since the single discs went out of print and quite a few cost more now than even when they were originally released. I really think they should have included the edited 54-276 run as was first planned in the multi set, for they definitely could've made made some mad money from those nostalgic old school Toonami era fans who would most likely buy it. The fact that they even still released the portion with the Ocean Studios cast, especially despite how much they seemed to want to bury it when the uncut redub of those same eps came in around 2004 and how they want to pretend they weren't involved with it when that's simply not true was a surprise in of itself.

But no matter what they try to claim, the Orange Brick/remastered partial redub is simply NOT what aired on Cartoon Network/Toonami over those four or five years.