Is there a dominant person in Vegetto and Gogeta or not?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Is there a dominant person in Vegetto and Gogeta or not?

Post by dva_raza » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:39 pm

I know this has been discussed but it's still not clear.

It's seems like the most official take is that "there is no dominant personality", because of the fact that it wasn't officialy stated.

But then if you google this, the first answer that comes up says that there IS. Giving various reasons with the most important being Vegetto naming himself using Kakarotto instead of Goku, which Goku obviously wouldn't do (even if he doesn't mind that name, that's not the name he calls himself).

I've also seen that this is not correct and that the only reason they ended up using this name for the potara fusion is because the movie 12 had already used the name Gogeta for the dance fusion and that there is no dominant personality.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is there a dominant person in Vegetto and Gogeta or not?

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:03 pm

The games at least treat it this way, with Gogeta leaning on the Goku side and Vegetto leaning on the Vegeta side, but in the series proper there's not enough evidence outside of Vegetto using Kakarot like you said. But we don't see enough of either of their real personalities to draw conclusions - Gogeta barely had any screen time in either of his movie appearances, and then in Z/GT both he and Vegetto are putting on arrogant showboat facades to provoke Omega Shenron and Buu, respectively.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:18 pm

I don't think there is. I feel like both represent different aspects of Goku and Vegeta but in equal proportion. Vegetto represents the more playful side of Goku along with the cockier side of Vegeta, although he possesses the latter's cunning as well. Gogeta represents the "time to get down to business" aspect of both Goku and Vegeta, although he is shown to occasionally be humorous like in GT. Both seem to have Goku's more relaxed demeanor and self-assured nature in general, but still with Vegeta's intensity and show of arrogance (although the arrogance is usually a battle tactic to throw the opponent off, not so much actual arrogance).

So anyway, to sum it up, I think both are equally Goku and Vegeta, even with some traits being predominant.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:55 pm

Potara and metamoran fusions aren't really characters, is the thing. They're techniques with a quirk. The series doesn't seem interested in providing any vision or nuance as to what being merged with another person would actually be like. The best you can get is that Goku + Vegeta = excess confidence and arrogance, but the issue with that is that every fusion has that. Gotenks, Kefla, Vegetto and Gogeta are basically only distinguishable from each other by their voices and designs. The experience of being a fusion is never really touched upon, you could replace the entire concept with any team-up attack and it basically wouldn't change anything.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:05 pm

Shaddy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:55 pm Potara and metamoran fusions aren't really characters, is the thing. They're techniques with a quirk. The series doesn't seem interested in providing any vision or nuance as to what being merged with another person would actually be like. The best you can get is that Goku + Vegeta = excess confidence and arrogance, but the issue with that is that every fusion has that. Gotenks, Kefla, Vegetto and Gogeta are basically only distinguishable from each other by their voices and designs. The experience of being a fusion is never really touched upon, you could replace the entire concept with any team-up attack and it basically wouldn't change anything.
I mean Goku did mention in db heroes that he was the dominant one in Gogeta. Even if it's not canon there's a reason why some people are inclined to think Vegetto is basically Vegeta dominant.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:30 pm

Shaddy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:55 pm Potara and metamoran fusions aren't really characters, is the thing. They're techniques with a quirk. The series doesn't seem interested in providing any vision or nuance as to what being merged with another person would actually be like. The best you can get is that Goku + Vegeta = excess confidence and arrogance, but the issue with that is that every fusion has that. Gotenks, Kefla, Vegetto and Gogeta are basically only distinguishable from each other by their voices and designs. The experience of being a fusion is never really touched upon, you could replace the entire concept with any team-up attack and it basically wouldn't change anything.
Vegetto and Gogeta were deliberately hamming it up in their more substantial appearances, though. In the Zamasu arc and Broly, they're fairly generic if a little cocky.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:08 am

dva_raza wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:05 pm I mean Goku did mention in db heroes that he was the dominant one in Gogeta. Even if it's not canon there's a reason why some people are inclined to think Vegetto is basically Vegeta dominant.
jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:30 pm Vegetto and Gogeta were deliberately hamming it up in their more substantial appearances, though. In the Zamasu arc and Broly, they're fairly generic if a little cocky.
Not really my point. Whichever one is "dominant" makes very little difference because they act basically the exact same either way. I can think of plenty of scenarios where Goku would act different from Vegeta, but I can't think of any situation where Gogeta would have a different opinion or somehow make a different decision from Vegetto.

All I'm really saying here is the fusions are poorly-developed and not really used for anything interesting.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:24 am

I think we can only say so in Z, with Vegito and Movie Gogeta. One is a jerk and the other one is more stoic and to the point, but then GT, and DBS has them being pretty much the same.