Did you know the original English Gohan was in a Friday the 13th movie?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Did you know the original English Gohan was in a Friday the 13th movie?

Post by Kid Buu » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:10 pm

So I just rewatched the 8th Friday the 13th, Jason Takes Manhattan, and it competely slipped me that Gohan is in the film!

Saffron Henderson, who was an Ocean voice actor for Gohan, loses to a guitar in the film. Guess her power level wasn't high enough!
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Did you know the original English Gohan was in a Friday the 13th movie?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:13 pm

*insert dodge joke*

Guess we know who would win between Gohan and Jason.

Also Gohan’s original English VA lowkey be kinda hot. Haven’t been this confused and aroused since having it pointed out that Fiona Dourif looks like her dad.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:33 pm

I had no idea JJ was Gohan.

Her parents finally came through, so I guess Goku and Chichi bought that guitar.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:48 pm

Wow, that's cool! She's my favorite Kid Gohan voice.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:08 pm

Very interesting! I knew there was a reason I liked JJ so much.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:11 pm

Yep, and Kelly Hu is also in the movie. She wasn't in DB, but it's interesting nonetheless. Jason Takes Manhattan is truly one of the worst in the series.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:14 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:11 pm . Jason Takes Manhattan is truly one of the worst in the series.
If only they had named it “Jason takes a cruise and then poses at Time Square for 5 seconds before killing in Vancouver”

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:08 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:14 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:11 pm . Jason Takes Manhattan is truly one of the worst in the series.
If only they had named it “Jason takes a cruise and then poses at Time Square for 5 seconds before killing in Vancouver”
Well that's all they could afford to film, there's a reason why many movies and TV shows film in Toronto doubling for NYC, filming there gets expensive real quick. Anyways I personally had fun with that movie, too bad thanks to that lawsuit it'll be a while before we get another F13 movie though.

She was also in "The Fly 2", another underrated horror sequel.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:44 pm

As a horror fan I'd seen the movie countless times before someone on here mentioned Saffron Henderson being in it a few years back. I always liked her Gohan, and think about it every time I rewatch Jason takes Manhattan.
ABED wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:11 pm Jason Takes Manhattan is truly one of the worst in the series.
I enjoy it for what it is, mindless fun. It's better than Jason Goes To Hell and Jason X at least.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:26 pm

Yeah, I knew. Saffron Henderson was pretty gorgeous when she was young.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:41 pm

Dang she cute! Love her look!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:05 pm

Yeah. Memorable character and kill.

Part VIII at least tried to mix things up a bit after the previous films. I've always considered it to effectively be the finale to the series, given the move to New Line and the subsequent films.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:16 pm

Just realize I also like her Kid Goku voice better than Nadolny's; I watched the BLT dub years ago. Unlike Nadolny, she made her voices for the two of them very distinct to match their drastically different personalities. Never thought I'd be attracted to a VA for Kid Goku/Kid Gohan, but there ya go.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:28 am

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:33 pm I had no idea JJ was Gohan.

Her parents finally came through, so I guess Goku and Chichi bought that guitar.
You just won not only this thread, but this whole entire forum. :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:22 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:14 pm
According to Cinemassacre movie review, at least locals had fun, seeing Jason walking around Manhattan :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:34 pm

Jason Takes Manhattan predates the earliest English dubs by at least 8 years right? I wonder if she auditioned or they just randomly plucked her name out of a hat, thats so random, cool tidbit though.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:23 pm

I've known about this for a while, it's pretty cool.

Someone recently pointed out to me that Ted Cole (Yamcha in the Ocean dub) was a background character in Scary Movie.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:02 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:34 pm Jason Takes Manhattan predates the earliest English dubs by at least 8 years right? I wonder if she auditioned or they just randomly plucked her name out of a hat, thats so random, cool tidbit though.
It predates Dragon Ball's BLT dub (1995, in which she voiced Goku for the first 13 eps) by 6 years, and DBZ by 7.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:05 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:34 pm Jason Takes Manhattan predates the earliest English dubs by at least 8 years right? I wonder if she auditioned or they just randomly plucked her name out of a hat, thats so random, cool tidbit though.
I would imagine she had to audition. It is pretty cool that a lot of the Ocean Group cast members have done live action roles even if it’s mostly bit parts.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:05 pm
I would imagine she had to audition. It is pretty cool that a lot of the Ocean Group cast members have done live action roles even if it’s mostly bit parts.
Yeah, a lot of them are regulars in the Vancouver television scene. I remember watching Rookie Blue when it was airing on ABC and being shocked when I reaized that Enuka Okuma--who had played Lady Une in the dub of Shin Kidou Senki Gundam Wing and Artificial Human #18 in the Ocean Group dub--was doing on-camera work. Small world.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf