What is the drama with Resurrection F?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What is the drama with Resurrection F?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:51 pm

dva_raza wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:47 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:35 pm Well, did Vegeta "deserve" the kill more than anyone else? No. I don't know why fans on reddit and YouTube are constantly still bitching about Resurrection F.

Happy with that answer? For the record, I agree with you; my confusion came moreso from not knowing where the drama came from.
No LMAO. I like you Demon Prince, I don't understand why exactly you are trying to dismantle me opening this discussion (even though you say you're not at the same time that is literally what you've done in every one of your replies so far)

Anyway, this is the question:

So when you say “Vegeta deserved the kill” tell me.
If his victims never got THEIR revenge, why does Vegeta deserve his?
(CONSIDERING ALL THIS):
Vegeta being subjected by Frieza was KARMATIC. He simply got what he deserved for who he was. Vegeta was just as evil as Frieza, the only thing that differentiated them was he wasn’t as powerful, other than that, Vegeta and his father were villains before Frieza came along and Vegeta has done more harm to others than the harm he got from Frieza.

PS regarding the "drama", you would know what I mean if you scrolled down the comments on one of those videos. Maybe I spend too much time on Youtube since I started watching Dragon Ball Super and that has overwhelmed me.
Me asking this on this forum was precisely me trying to see perspectives on other sites
I edited that before you finished typing your reply, my apologies for wording it that passive aghressively/harshly. Wasn't the best idea on my part, and I don't want to come off like that. :)
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:55 pm

jamiljamtheman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm I really liked and still like RoF, and agree that people blow Frieza’s death out of proportion.

However, I felt the way the movie very deliberately “teased” vegeta finishing the fight, only to reverse it back in a very “ha-ha” moment, was a little jarring. Funny, perhaps, and in character for both Frieza and Vegeta definitely, but jarring. :lol:
I agree on the funny part, but why was it jarring though? I swear I didn't even notice this when I saw Super, like I had no clue who killed Frieza it seemed that irrelevant. What sticked to my mind was the earth exploting and Whis reversing time. Then after watching reviews and comments on Resurrection F, I finally saw the movie now with the whole "kill steal" in mind, and still didn't get the sense that Vegeta was "done dirty" in any way considering who he is.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:00 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:51 pm
dva_raza wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:47 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:35 pm Well, did Vegeta "deserve" the kill more than anyone else? No. I don't know why fans on reddit and YouTube are constantly still bitching about Resurrection F.

Happy with that answer? For the record, I agree with you; my confusion came moreso from not knowing where the drama came from.
No LMAO. I like you Demon Prince, I don't understand why exactly you are trying to dismantle me opening this discussion (even though you say you're not at the same time that is literally what you've done in every one of your replies so far)

Anyway, this is the question:

(CONSIDERING ALL THIS):
Vegeta being subjected by Frieza was KARMATIC. He simply got what he deserved for who he was. Vegeta was just as evil as Frieza, the only thing that differentiated them was he wasn’t as powerful, other than that, Vegeta and his father were villains before Frieza came along and Vegeta has done more harm to others than the harm he got from Frieza.

PS regarding the "drama", you would know what I mean if you scrolled down the comments on one of those videos. Maybe I spend too much time on Youtube since I started watching Dragon Ball Super and that has overwhelmed me.
Me asking this on this forum was precisely me trying to see perspectives on other sites
I edited that before you finished typing your reply, my apologies for wording it that passive aghressively/harshly. Wasn't the best idea on my part, and I don't want to come off like that. :)
I don't mind that.
I just genuinely cared to know your opinion of my point, if you disagreed with it

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:10 am

No, I agree with your point. I used to see it differently, but I don't think Vegeta "deserved" the kill. I still would have been happy with it, sure. But while watching the film (not the greatest, but I'm OK with it) it's not that shocking that the film will have Goku be the one to win at the end. I think the dub had some fans thinking that Vegeta deeply cared for the Saiyans and his planet, so him defeating Freeza would have been justice for that and for him killing him. So that adds to the feelings, I suppose.

Anyway, yeah with YouTube, that's what you're going to get. You usually get the most complaining on there. I did used to check comments much more frequently, whereas now I pretty much never do, so I guess I wouldn't have known if it was there or not. :lol:
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:13 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:21 pm How old is Stuckmann's review at this point? I'm not saying there wasn't drama surrounding Goku "stealing" the win, but you're making it sound like it's still a current thing. I don't see many fans complaining about it nowadays since we've gotten a lot more since Resurrection F.
Vegeta stans still crying about it actually. They think Vegeta is the victim of something Frieza does, thus deserves revenge. They actually dont like that in truth his story is simply about pride and pure rebellion without a cause.

There is a reason why Frieza was always Goku's enemy rather than Vegeta's and that doesnt have anything to do with Super Saiyan power. Goku and Frieza were always on a scale bigger than Saiyan nationalism. Goku's motivation is himself wanting to defeat a intergalactic villain. And Frieza wants to stop the threat to his universal reign.

Vegetas talk before his death actually don't factor that much into Goku. He might have somewhat accepted his heritage, he just doesnt place importance on it to the extend Vegeta does. Meanwhile Vegeta himself doesnt care about the Saiyans themselves, he was just trying to appeal to Goku's sense of kindness with his story and how Goku should revenge them as "Kakarot". But after that', what stands out to Goku is Vegeta's pride, still not the Saiyans, and he even said "For all the Saiyans and alll the other people you killed" as a overall hero not as a Saiyan. Vegeta has always wanted Goku to be a Saiyan, not only to be ruthless but also to understand his sentiment as a prideful nationalist, which Goku never.

As for Frieza, the Saiyans were just one of the races he wants to rule over. They are low lifes to him, and he never took Vegeta seriously. Pride and nationalism can't be his nemesis if you are as evil as he is.

It's the same motivation from Goku and Frieza in ROF. It's a sporting match even, between two people who do not care what Vegeta thinks. Goku wants to fight because Frieza is strong (and also a villain), and Frieza still didnt give a damn about Vegeta except to still viewed him as can be his soldier. and wanted to settle the score between him and GOKU, not Kakarot. At least until Vegeta himself transformed.

As for Vegeta, he knows this in ROF. he might have known right after he was revived in Frieza Saga. That Frieza was not his nemesis, and he was over him right away. I remember in 2015 when spoilers were out, everyone booed Vegeta for acting nervous when Goku said it's his turn to fight Frieza. I think he was just nervous because Goku was teasing him. He even said "He came here to fight you, not me." Shows how over Frieza he is. The scene when he beat Frieza and transform just gives him closure that he was always more powerful and fights with more honor than Frieza does. He doesnt need to "kill" him, didnt "deserve" it, didnt want it, and knew this.
Last edited by nhienphan2808 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:15 am

nhienphan2808 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:13 am Vegeta stans still crying about it actually. They think Vegeta is the victim of something Frieza does, thus deserves revenge. They actually dont like that in truth his story is simply about pride and pure rebellion without a cause.
Ah, I see. I suppose a lot of that is, again, misconception due to the old Funi dub (not trying to turn this into a dub vs. sub thing, but still). I remember thinking it would have been justice for Vegeta, but I wasn't as familiar with the manga/sub at that time.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:48 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:10 am No, I agree with your point. I used to see it differently, but I don't think Vegeta "deserved" the kill. I still would have been happy with it, sure. But while watching the film (not the greatest, but I'm OK with it) it's not that shocking that the film will have Goku be the one to win at the end. I think the dub had some fans thinking that Vegeta deeply cared for the Saiyans and his planet, so him defeating Freeza would have been justice for that and for him killing him. So that adds to the feelings, I suppose.

Anyway, yeah with YouTube, that's what you're going to get. You usually get the most complaining on there. I did used to check comments much more frequently, whereas now I pretty much never do, so I guess I wouldn't have known if it was there or not. :lol:
Right I forgot about that. The dub taking some artistic liberties in that scene is probably in huge part the reason for this massive headcacon of Vegeta being entitled to be the one to kill Frieza.

That's the main drive I have to "argue" these things, I don't mean to be negative I just feel it's crazy how many Vegeta hardcore fans are straight up ignoring major aspects about him, like the fact that he DIDN'T really care about his planet. This missconceptions lead to them forming expectations that are not met, and then, they blame the writers. This is what I find insufferable, the bashing of the people who created the very character they obsess about.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:20 am

dva_raza wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:48 am Right I forgot about that. The dub taking some artistic liberties in that scene is probably in huge part the reason for this massive headcacon of Vegeta being entitled to be the one to kill Frieza.

That's the main drive I have to "argue" these things, I don't mean to be negative I just feel it's crazy how many Vegeta hardcore fans are straight up ignoring major aspects about him, like the fact that he DIDN'T really care about his planet. This missconceptions lead to them forming expectations that are not met, and then, they blame the writers. This is what I find insufferable, the bashing of the people who created the very character they obsess about.
Those hardcore types are usually the ones who will go out of their way to (wrongfully) paint Vegeta as a much better person than Goku, as well. Usually when people are overly devoted to a particular character or version of a character, they tend to be biased in every respect, overemphasizing the positives and undervaluing the negatives. Granted, with how popular Vegeta is, I understand wanting him to get the win. That's the perspective I think Stuckmann was coming from, especially with his SS Blue reveal being kept under wraps and being this sort of big reveal in the film (it's been years since I watched his review). But yes, if anything is the #1 culprit of fans thinking Vegeta deserved the win due to his past with Freeza, it's the dub/Funi. Sure, Kai came later, but for a lot of these fans, the dub is what they frame their outlook on.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:21 am

nhienphan2808 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:13 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:21 pm How old is Stuckmann's review at this point? I'm not saying there wasn't drama surrounding Goku "stealing" the win, but you're making it sound like it's still a current thing. I don't see many fans complaining about it nowadays since we've gotten a lot more since Resurrection F.
Vegeta stans still crying about it actually. They think Vegeta is the victim of something Frieza does, thus deserves revenge. They actually dont like that in truth his story is simply about pride and pure rebellion without a cause.

There is a reason why Frieza was always Goku's enemy rather than Vegeta's and that doesnt have anything to do with Super Saiyan power. Goku and Frieza were always on a scale bigger than Saiyan nationalism. Goku's motivation is himself wanting to defeat a intergalactic villain. And Frieza wants to stop the threat to his universal reign.

Vegetas talk before his death actually don't factor that much into Goku. He might have somewhat accepted his heritage, he just doesnt place importance on it to the extend Vegeta does. Meanwhile Vegeta himself doesnt care about the Saiyans themselves, he was just trying to appeal to Goku's sense of kindness with his story and how Goku should revenge them as "Kakarot". But after that', what stands out to Goku is Vegeta's pride, still not the Saiyans, and he even said "For all the Saiyans and alll the other people you killed" as a overall hero not as a Saiyan. Vegeta has always wanted Goku to be a Saiyan, not only to be ruthless but also to understand his sentiment as a prideful nationalist, which Goku never.

As for Frieza, the Saiyans were just one of the races he wants to rule over. They are low lifes to him, and he never took Vegeta seriously. Pride and nationalism can't be his nemesis if you are as evil as he is.

It's the same motivation from Goku and Frieza in ROF. It's a sporting match even, between two people who do not care what Vegeta thinks. Goku wants to fight because Frieza is strong (and also a villain), and Frieza still didnt give a damn about Vegeta except to still viewed him as can be his soldier. and wanted to settle the score between him and GOKU, not Kakarot. At least until Vegeta himself transformed.

As for Vegeta, he knows this in ROF. he might have known right after he was revived in Frieza Saga. That Frieza was not his nemesis, and he was over him right away. I remember in 2015 when spoilers were out, everyone booed Vegeta for acting nervous when Goku said it's his turn to fight Frieza. I think he was just nervous because Goku was teasing him. He even said "He came here to fight you, not me." Shows how over Frieza he is. The scene when he beat Frieza and transform just gives him closure that he was always more powerful and fights with more honor than Frieza does. He doesnt need to "kill" him, didnt "deserve" it, didnt want it, and knew this.
They actually dont like that in truth his story is simply about pride and pure rebellion without a cause.
This is what amazes me the most, how much denial or missunderstanding there is of their favorite character
As for Frieza, the Saiyans were just one of the races he wants to rule over. They are low lifes to him, and he never took Vegeta seriously.
I actually wanted to mention this on my original post but didn't want to make it too long.
Frieza barely cared about Vegeta here, he wanted to fight Goku. Why wouldn't Goku be allowed the kill? To have Goku finish what he didn't back in Namek makes great sense to me.
He doesnt need to "kill" him, didnt "deserve" it, didnt want it, and knew this.
Totally agree. Vegeta getting the kill would've cheapend the story in my opinion. His resolution should be with himself, not with another villain who happened to overpower him while at the same time Vegeta himself didn't care about his own people and was a villain himself. I'm glad the writers know this and don't go for cheap fanservice.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:34 am

It didn't bother me that Goku kill Freeza because he finished on what he started on Namek. It wraps up the story between the two characters in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:30 am

dva_raza wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:55 pm
jamiljamtheman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm I really liked and still like RoF, and agree that people blow Frieza’s death out of proportion.

However, I felt the way the movie very deliberately “teased” vegeta finishing the fight, only to reverse it back in a very “ha-ha” moment, was a little jarring. Funny, perhaps, and in character for both Frieza and Vegeta definitely, but jarring. :lol:
I agree on the funny part, but why was it jarring though? I swear I didn't even notice this when I saw Super, like I had no clue who killed Frieza it seemed that irrelevant. What sticked to my mind was the earth exploting and Whis reversing time. Then after watching reviews and comments on Resurrection F, I finally saw the movie now with the whole "kill steal" in mind, and still didn't get the sense that Vegeta was "done dirty" in any way considering who he is.
I didn’t see it in Super, so the best I can give is my experience watching this in the movie theater. Basically, the way the movie was going (Frieza shows up, the underlings and Z fighters battle, then Goku and Vegeta fight Frieza, even Golden Frieza doesn’t really stand a chance against SSB, etc), it looked like the “predictable” path was that Vegeta was ending the fight and that would be the movie. Then in its final moments, the movie takes a hard left turn, blows up earth, informs us that Whis can CONTROL TIME, and forces Goku to kill Frieza beforehand.

I guess at this point I don’t think it’s something like “Vegeta deserves the kill” or “Vegeta got snubbed”, it’s more like the resolution and ending coming out of almost nowhere (remember, this was in the theater with only Battle of Gods to go off of) when it would have flowed well and made total sense for the fight to have ended with Vegeta.

Still funny tho. He took to long running his mouth, and Earth almost paid the price for it :lol:

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:37 am

It all happens so fast, in fact, that it almost seemed like the movie was going extra-out-of-it’s-way to find some way for explicitly Goku to kill Frieza instead of Vegeta. I suppose the DBZ movies are no strangers to writing bizarre last-minute plot armors in order for Goku to win in them (spirit bomb punch, Broly one-hit-KO, spirit bombing the tree of might, etc).

If nothing else, RoF is a classic DBZ movie through and through. That’s probably why I like it so much :D

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:53 am

I don’t think Vegeta deserved to kill Freeza at all, actually. I just think it would have been a much better finale for the film than fricking Whis reversing time.

The whole film was a disappointment anyways, so I don’t know why people keep wingeing about it.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:08 am

dva_raza wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:49 pm I recently saw Chris Stuckman’s review of it and even HE complaints about this thing with the “stolen" kill?

Adding to every DB youtuber who I’ve seen make videos expressing the same opinion and the comment sections saying things like “Vegeta was done dirty”… he “DESERVED the kill” “he NEEDS to have the kill”….
I just want to get this off my chest because it feels crazy to be the only one who disagrees with this and man.. I find these statements so insufferable. Mostly because of the entitled way they affirm them as if their opinion of how things “should” be is the correct one, even when the writers CLEARLY disagree with them.

First, I don’t get this obsession with somebody having to KILL somebody to reaffirm the value of their character or to make the story better. The only thing it would seem to do is make the story predictable and fanservicy. I’m glad they didn’t do that. And I liked the whole thing with the time reversal and Goku stepping in. Why wouldn’t he?
The notion of Vegeta being “entitled” to be the one to kill Frieza seems like a great example of a headcanon blown out of proportion. Nobody is entitled to any kill and certainly not Vegeta. Which brings me to my second point, which is an unpopular opinion, but I do not see the Vegeta’s “revenge” argument at all.

The only drama I was aware of was Yamamuro drawing over a prominent animators piece.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:31 am

Aim wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:08 am
dva_raza wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:49 pm I recently saw Chris Stuckman’s review of it and even HE complaints about this thing with the “stolen" kill?

Adding to every DB youtuber who I’ve seen make videos expressing the same opinion and the comment sections saying things like “Vegeta was done dirty”… he “DESERVED the kill” “he NEEDS to have the kill”….
I just want to get this off my chest because it feels crazy to be the only one who disagrees with this and man.. I find these statements so insufferable. Mostly because of the entitled way they affirm them as if their opinion of how things “should” be is the correct one, even when the writers CLEARLY disagree with them.

First, I don’t get this obsession with somebody having to KILL somebody to reaffirm the value of their character or to make the story better. The only thing it would seem to do is make the story predictable and fanservicy. I’m glad they didn’t do that. And I liked the whole thing with the time reversal and Goku stepping in. Why wouldn’t he?
The notion of Vegeta being “entitled” to be the one to kill Frieza seems like a great example of a headcanon blown out of proportion. Nobody is entitled to any kill and certainly not Vegeta. Which brings me to my second point, which is an unpopular opinion, but I do not see the Vegeta’s “revenge” argument at all.

The only drama I was aware of was Yamamuro drawing over a prominent animators piece.
You’ve never heard of the many Vegeta fans’ complaints that Goku stole his killing of Freeza?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:02 am

I get why they want it but don't feel Vegeta getting some form of payback against Freeza is cathartic.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:02 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:31 am

You’ve never heard of the many Vegeta fans’ complaints that Goku stole his killing of Freeza?
Aren’t these usually the same people that idealize Prince of Destruction Vegeta?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:50 am

Aim wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:02 am
Aren’t these usually the same people that idealize Prince of Destruction Vegeta?
Hell, the complaints came from more than just Vegeta fanboys. I may not have been a fan yet in 2015, but I got the impression that this was a widespread issue back then.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:41 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:50 am
Aim wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:02 am

Hell, the complaints came from more than just Vegeta fanboys. I may not have been a fan yet in 2015, but I got the impression that this was a widespread issue back then.

And the complaints and drama around it are very present now. Just one example is about 3 weeks ago, Saiyan Scholar put up a video called "How RoF should've ended" in which he edited the last minutes of the film and has the comment section flooded with hate thowards Toriyama because of the fact that the real film didn't end like that. Also, if you follow the manga and the reviews that these youtubers make after every chapter comes out, you see people throw hate on Toriyama for not "letting" vegeta have a win, almost always referencing Resurrection F and how his win there was "stolen". They reference this movie as one of the main "proofs" they have that the creators hate Vegeta.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:47 pm

Something tells me that if Toriyama truly hated Vegeta, he wouldn’t have made him the secondary protagonist of the Super era.