What is the drama with Resurrection F?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

What is the drama with Resurrection F?

Post by dva_raza » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:49 pm

I recently saw Chris Stuckman’s review of it and even HE complaints about this thing with the “stolen" kill?

Adding to every DB youtuber who I’ve seen make videos expressing the same opinion and the comment sections saying things like “Vegeta was done dirty”… he “DESERVED the kill” “he NEEDS to have the kill”….
I just want to get this off my chest because it feels crazy to be the only one who disagrees with this and man.. I find these statements so insufferable. Mostly because of the entitled way they affirm them as if their opinion of how things “should” be is the correct one, even when the writers CLEARLY disagree with them.

First, I don’t get this obsession with somebody having to KILL somebody to reaffirm the value of their character or to make the story better. The only thing it would seem to do is make the story predictable and fanservicy. I’m glad they didn’t do that. And I liked the whole thing with the time reversal and Goku stepping in. Why wouldn’t he?
The notion of Vegeta being “entitled” to be the one to kill Frieza seems like a great example of a headcanon blown out of proportion. Nobody is entitled to any kill and certainly not Vegeta. Which brings me to my second point, which is an unpopular opinion, but I do not see the Vegeta’s “revenge” argument at all.

Vegeta being subjected by Frieza was KARMATIC. He simply got what he deserved for who he was. Vegeta was just as evil as Frieza, the only thing that differentiated them was he wasn’t as powerful, other than that, Vegeta and his father were villains before Frieza came along and Vegeta has done more harm to others than the harm he got from Frieza.
So when you say “Vegeta deserved the kill” tell me.
If his victims never got THEIR revenge, why does Vegeta deserve his?

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: What is the drama with Resurrection F?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:21 pm

How old is Stuckmann's review at this point? I'm not saying there wasn't drama surrounding Goku "stealing" the win, but you're making it sound like it's still a current thing. I don't see many fans complaining about it nowadays since we've gotten a lot more since Resurrection F.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:39 pm

Goku stealing the kill was one of my favourite parts of RoF. It was just funny, especially Vegeta having 0 context why Goku decided to do such an asshole move

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:46 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:21 pm How old is Stuckmann's review at this point? I'm not saying there wasn't drama surrounding Goku "stealing" the win, but you're making it sound like it's still a current thing. I don't see many fans complaining about it nowadays since we've gotten a lot more since Resurrection F.
Because I follow him and I just watched the film for the first time. Then I went to his channel to search for his review cause I knew he had it.
And I saw recent comments on the video and the other Youtubers videos.
Not sure what relevance is there to "when" it happened, I just became aware of these opinions and they are still there.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:47 pm

As much as I consider RF to be a terrible movie, the complaint about how Goku “stole” Vegeta’s kill never made sense to me. Why does Vegeta “deserve” to be the one to kill Freeza? It’s not like Vegeta was an innocent victim whose life Freeza ruined. Vegeta was more than happy to carry out his job as a genocidal space pirate. He even made it clear back in the Freeza saga that he didn’t care about the genocide against his race.

Vegeta hated Freeza because having to serve a being more powerful than him was an insult to his pride, not because Freeza killed his father or forced him to be a bad person.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:57 pm

Goku always getting the win has been a complaint amongst fans throughout the entire series, not just Resurrection F.

I don't think Vegeta's genocidal past or his being evil somehow makes him any less deserving of the kill. I'm not saying I agree that he deserved the kill, just that his past crimes aren't relevant.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:00 pm

dva_raza wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:46 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:21 pm How old is Stuckmann's review at this point? I'm not saying there wasn't drama surrounding Goku "stealing" the win, but you're making it sound like it's still a current thing. I don't see many fans complaining about it nowadays since we've gotten a lot more since Resurrection F.
Because I follow him and I just watched the film for the first time. Then I went to his channel to search for his review cause I knew he had it.
Not sure what relevance is there to "when" it happened, I just became aware of these opinions and they are still there.
Because you literally titled the topic "What is the drama with Resurrection F" when there isn't much of any drama right now, at least not anywhere on this forum. I didn't say you couldn't discuss it.

As for your question, I think in people's minds, Goku got to deliver the finishing blow to Freeza on Namek, and then Trunks literally did in the Android arc. Fans of Vegeta naturally wanted to see him get the finishing blow since he's hasn't gotten one against a major villain. I've come around to it in the time since RoF, but I remember being slightly annoyed at the time. And I like Goku more than Vegeta.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:05 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:57 pm Goku always getting the win has been a complaint amongst fans throughout the entire series, not just Resurrection F.

I don't think Vegeta's genocidal past or his being evil somehow makes him any less deserving of the kill. I'm not saying I agree that he deserved the kill, just that his past crimes aren't relevant.
Which is kind of a silly criticism, since Piccolo Daimao is the only major powerful villain Goku has defeated/killed on his own (that I can think of). He beat Freeza on Namek, sure, but Trunks actually got the kill. And the Genki Dama against Kid Boo was a collective effort with everyone, much like against Vegeta in the Saiyan arc. Maybe I'm forgetting something from GT, but Goku is the main character, so he should occasionally get the KO. But it's happened MUCH less than people realize.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:06 pm

Christ, this movie was six years ago? I was literally still pretending to be a guy when the film came out.

Anyway, the movie is six years old. Why is there drama about Gokuu killing Freeza when Vegeta barely says or experiences anything in the film? This was Gokuu's film.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:11 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:00 pm
dva_raza wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:46 pm
Because you literally titled the topic "What is the drama with Resurrection F" when there isn't much of any drama right now, at least not anywhere on this forum. I didn't say you couldn't discuss it.

As for your question, I think in people's minds, Goku got to deliver the finishing blow to Freeza on Namek, and then Trunks literally did in the Android arc. Fans of Vegeta naturally wanted to see him get the finishing blow since he's hasn't gotten one against a major villain. I've come around to it in the time since RoF, but I remember being slightly annoyed at the time. And I like Goku more than Vegeta.
there isn't much of any drama right now,.
There is drama. This movie exists in space and time, along with the opionions which come at any moment, like I said I saw recent comments on these vids.
"at least not anywhere on this forum"
I never said it was on this forum, I'm talking about youtube and also reddit.
Fans of Vegeta naturally wanted to see him get the finishing blow since he's hasn't gotten one against a major villain."
What you are mentioning here is what I already know. Do you have an answer to my question taking into account what I said?

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:14 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:06 pm Christ, this movie was six years ago? I was literally still pretending to be a guy when the film came out.

Anyway, the movie is six years old. Why is there drama about Gokuu killing Freeza when Vegeta barely says or experiences anything in the film? This was Gokuu's film.
What is people's obsession with "how long ago" something was? Whats the problem with discussing a movie that came out 6 years ago? Dragon Ball Z started many more years and people are having discussions about it still. I have recently discovered Dragon Ball Super and the movies after not following Dragon Ball ever since Z ended which is why I JUST became engaged in the "community" online. What is the problem?

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:17 pm

Have you thought to ask people on Reddit or YouTube about this? I promise I don't mean this in any way detrimental to you, but I'm not sure any way I answer this will be the answer you want to hear. I don't follow YouTube or Reddit and I doubt many members here do, and I don't preoccupy myself with that "drama." I answered your question based on the only perspective I understand, I can't answer for some at large drama in spaces I don't keep up with.

You make these topics, but when people don't respond with answers you like, you get overly defensive. What is your objective here? Are you trying to have a discussion, or are you trying to get a specific answer you agree with?
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:20 pm

dva_raza wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:14 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:06 pm Christ, this movie was six years ago? I was literally still pretending to be a guy when the film came out.

What is people's obsession with "how long ago" something was? Whats the problem with discussing a movie that came out 6 years ago? Dragon Ball Z started many more years and people are having discussions about it still. I have recently discovered Dragon Ball Super and the movies after not following Dragon Ball ever since Z ended which is why I JUST became engaged in the "community" online. What is the problem?
What exasperates me is that this isn't really an issue. It doesn't harm real people, it's just a boring film.

But yeah, six years ago? Lord, time flies.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:22 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:57 pm Goku always getting the win has been a complaint amongst fans throughout the entire series, not just Resurrection F.
Except Goku literally DOESN'T always get the win.

Goku's latest direct win was Frieza in Namek.
Tell me who has Goku won against after that?
His only 2 other wins are against Buu and Moro through other peoples energy, a wish being made to restore his energy, and other people distracting the villain.
So let's say Goku has 3 wins in the whole series. Why an exvillain should get a direct kill against a villain when not even the protagonist has that privilege?

Which is a very strange opinion and like I said, the writers disagree with you. You not understanding that is precisely why you are frustrated with the ending of the movie.
Last edited by dva_raza on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:30 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:17 pm Have you thought to ask people on Reddit or YouTube about this? I promise I don't mean this in any way detrimental to you, but I'm not sure any way I answer this will be the answer you want to hear. I don't follow YouTube or Reddit and I doubt many members here do, and I don't preoccupy myself with that "drama." I answered your question based on the only perspective I understand, I can't answer for some at large drama in spaces I don't keep up with.
Yes I am commenting constantly on Youtube, basically arguing my point, even before watching the movie as I had seen all of these videos already. It's just two days ago that I finally watched the films and searched for Chris's review and I really wanted another place to discuss this

You didn't reply to my question
You make these topics, but when people don't respond with answers you like, you get overly defensive. What is your objective here? Are you trying to have a discussion, or are you trying to get a specific answer you agree with?
What are you talking about, when did I get defensive? I have n oidea why you are saying I'm looking for a certain answer. Where did I give that impression?
My objective is to have answers to what I asked, and yes also discussions. Again, you didn't reply to the question.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:35 pm

Well, did Vegeta "deserve" the kill more than anyone else? No. I don't know why fans on reddit and YouTube are constantly still bitching about Resurrection F.

For the record, I agree with you; my confusion came moreso from not knowing where the current drama came from. Might be a misunderstanding that Vegeta care about his home planet and people, I honestly don't know.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm

I really liked and still like RoF, and agree that people blow Frieza’s death out of proportion.

However, I felt the way the movie very deliberately “teased” vegeta finishing the fight, only to reverse it back in a very “ha-ha” moment, was a little jarring. Funny, perhaps, and in character for both Frieza and Vegeta definitely, but jarring. :lol:

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm

People were seriously complaining about THAT? Oh man i've never been so happy to be out of the loop on something. Anyways I think the movie is decent but not great, surprised Stuckman and others would care so much about something this insignificant but oh well.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:38 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:47 pmWhy does Vegeta “deserve” to be the one to kill Freeza? It’s not like Vegeta was an innocent victim whose life Freeza ruined. Vegeta was more than happy to carry out his job as a genocidal space pirate. He even made it clear back in the Freeza saga that he didn’t care about the genocide against his race.

Vegeta hated Freeza because having to serve a being more powerful than him was an insult to his pride, not because Freeza killed his father or forced him to be a bad person.
EXACTLY this. I don't get where the revenge narrative fits when Vegeta literally didn't care about his planet nor his race, he made this clear in many instances during the show, I don't see him deserving of revenge when he dismissed his own race himself

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:47 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:35 pm Well, did Vegeta "deserve" the kill more than anyone else? No. I don't know why fans on reddit and YouTube are constantly still bitching about Resurrection F.

Happy with that answer? For the record, I agree with you; my confusion came moreso from not knowing where the drama came from.
No LMAO. I like you Demon Prince, I don't understand why exactly you are trying to dismantle me opening this discussion (even though you say you're not at the same time that is literally what you've done in every one of your replies so far)

Anyway, this is the question:

So when you say “Vegeta deserved the kill” tell me.
If his victims never got THEIR revenge, why does Vegeta deserve his?
(CONSIDERING ALL THIS):
Vegeta being subjected by Frieza was KARMATIC. He simply got what he deserved for who he was. Vegeta was just as evil as Frieza, the only thing that differentiated them was he wasn’t as powerful, other than that, Vegeta and his father were villains before Frieza came along and Vegeta has done more harm to others than the harm he got from Frieza.

PS regarding the "drama", you would know what I mean if you scrolled down the comments on one of those videos. Maybe I spend too much time on Youtube since I started watching Dragon Ball Super and that has overwhelmed me.
Me asking this on this forum was precisely me trying to see perspectives on other sites