If you had the power to change DBS Anime how would you change it to make it better?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

If you had the power to change DBS Anime how would you change it to make it better?

Post by super michael » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:26 am

Let says you are given authority to change DBS Anime however you want, what kind of changes would you do?

You can change anything, there is no limit to what you can change. You can add anything extra you want, edit existing scenes and episode or even delete existing things.

If you want to add extra saga or extra episode, that is more than welcome.

I am curious to see what replies I will get here.

Edit you can change characters personalities, characters power level and characters transformations however you like.

Basically you are free to do as you like.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: If you had the power to change DBS Anime how would you change it to make it better?

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:40 am

A longer production schedule, Shintani designs from the beginning, no Roushi, more girls, 100% openly queer and a living wage paid to everyoje involved in production.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: If you had the power to change DBS Anime how would you change it to make it better?

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:47 am

To me it was already perfect. And judging by the reaction certain episodes got, to a lot of other people as well.

And by "Perfect" I don't mean "It had no flaws", because everything has flaws; I mean "I found it enjoyable and am glad that I watched it".

Things like "Make the movie retellings better" are easier said than done. Toei was smart to capitalize on the success the movies had, they made Super very quickly to capitalize on that success; but if they waited more time to make more quality retellings, Super might have lost some of the impetus from the movies. In the end Super still got notoriety even if it was for that infamous ep. 5, but bad notoriety is better than no one talking about you.

If we are talking about specific scenes and not general production stuff, then I would remove those Future Trunks/Kid Mai scenes in the Future Trunks arc because they give me borderline pedo vibes, especially when Future Trunks is holding Kid Mai's hand like he's proposing to her and she's blushing. Now obviously I know this wasn't Toei's intention and you aren't supposed to feel that way, but it still made me cringe.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:10 am

I wouldn't lean so hard into all of the things that fans made Goku into (him being dumb and next level bad family man). I would also lay off the fan service (Vegetto was not necessary). In fact, I might get rid of everything to do with the future Trunks arc. It is a great story for Super, but it telies on nostalgia too much. I would also give the new characters much more prominence and not focus heavily on the likes of Kurilin, 17, Tenshinhan, Roshi, etc. I would still include them, but if they were all more or less retired in Z, I wouldn't have them fighting.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:10 am

Skip the retellings. Fix the wonky powerscaling. Use the ToP shading and animation for the entire show.
I would remove a lot of filler episodes that are plain bad. Watagash, agghh... Potaefu arc is painfully bad as well. It would make it easier to re-watch the show. Maybe leave it at 100 episodes or so.

Roshi, Tenshinhan, all those recruitmen episodes also go out the window.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:19 pm

It's been 3 years since I watched it, so I'm touching on surface-level aspects rather than plot details. But some things that come to mind are:

1. Goku's characterization. I understand that Goku's ultimate goal is to keep getting stronger and keep facing stronger opponents.I understand that he tends to put that before the needs of everyone else, even though he'll always ultimately do whatever it takes to protect his friends, family, and the Earth. I just think Super leaned far too hard into the side that doesn't take anything seriously, and they made him literally unfathomably stupid at times, as opposed to just an uncultured hick. Goku's made questionable calls before, like giving Cell a senzu, but even that was a strategic move where his Saiyan nature got the better of him. He wasn't a mindless buffoon. And let's not even talk about the kissing thing. :wtf:

2. Skip the recap arcs. The movies did them much better with higher production values and (obviously) they take less time to watch.

3. The shading and general animation quality from the TOP arc should have been present for the entire series.

4. While I enjoyed recruitment arc episodes such as Krillin and Gohan's, I'd also have cut the Roshi and Tien ones. Furthermore, while I love the human characters overall, I'd rather they not be brought back just to be useless fodder. Either add some aspect to the human lore to give them believable boosts within the story, and make them significant, or just leave them in the dust like the Boo saga did. Goten and Trunks should have been in the TOP in place of Tien and Roshi, with Boo taking the roster in Krillin's spot, and in general they should have gotten more character development by now, as opposed to just being the kids running around getting into mischief. And they should have been gradually aging by now (before anyone mentions Kid Goku, he did subtly age before his massive growth spurt by the 23rd).

5. This one is minor, but considering how Super got to EoZ, the main cast's outfits should change (well, the ones who actually change clothes, not so much Piccolo). It's one reason I love Goku and Vegeta's training outfits from RoF; they're different, showing a different point in time as opposed to before, and I wouldn't have minded if these were their main outfits for the series. Have Gohan wear Piccolo's gi like in the manga, etc. But if anything, Vegeta should have just kept his Boo saga duds, sleeveless with the gloves. Goku could gradually evolve to the blue-green EoZ gi. Again, this is very minor, but the changes in clothing add authenticity to passages of time in Dragon Ball.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed Super, all this notwithstanding. Once I get to re-watching the series, the list may grow, but for now these are just a few aesthetic-based aspects I could think of.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:22 pm

Oh yes, the outfits. You can't tell if it's DBS or DBZ (Cell/Buu saga), when you can tell what Z arc it is based on their outfits. I know it's suppose to still be Z, but even Z had more outfit variety.

Or maybe just don't introduce RoF outfits and stop the new outfit teasing if that's all that it was going to be.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:43 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:22 pm Oh yes, the outfits. You can't tell if it's DBS or DBZ (Cell/Buu saga), when you can tell what Z arc it is based on their outfits. I know it's suppose to still be Z, but even Z had more outfit variety.

Or maybe just don't introduce RoF outfits and stop the new outfit teasing if that's all that it was going to be.
Yep. Z consistently introduced new outfits throughout the arcs for certain characters. Even small subtle changes would be nice. Heck, for all the hate it got due to his character at that point, I even found Gohan's green tracksuit a refreshing change of pace. Granted, the Mystic Gohan outfit being Goku's gi was a fresh outfit for Gohan when it was new, but still. Super having everyone's default look being their most popular looks for Z doesn't allow it to visually distinguish itself enough.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:50 pm

Screw the retellings
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:49 pm

Honestly, I'd change a little bit of everything. Each arc has great concepts and characters but poor execution. Even the idea of redoing the movies and fleshing them out was a fantastic idea, but they decided to instead redo the movies and pad them out which mostly just wasted everyone's time and provided some of the worst episodes in Super.

That said, it's best to focus on the main thing I'd want to see changed and that would be the run up to the Tournament of Power and the tournament itself. I've been tinkering with the idea of a fanfic for a while, but this legitimately should be the magnum opus of Super. In its current form it actually already is, but I think it could have been so much more compelling.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:45 pm

Completely restructure the Tournament of Power to encompass the entire series as a "champions league" kind of competition that takes place in different locations across all of the universes - this ensures that we actually get to experience and enjoy the other universes rather than just have a mashup of randos that we couldn't possibly care less about. We can also increase the participant pool and institute a kind of seeding system so that even if Goku completely demolishes a planet's strongest fighter, it still matters if Tien doesn't pull his weight in his class. Inject the overarching plot with Zamasu and the gods into the story of the Tournament of Power, build the intrigue of this part of the story with participation from the non-combatant characters, e.g. Bulma can still be buddy-buddy with Whis and that's how the audience gets their look into the goings-on of the gods and destroyers. Bring these events to a head so that Zamasu's will to destroy all life and Zenno's threat to destroy all but one universe collide in an interesting way.

It all could've been SO much better.

EDIT: Oh and make Goku not a fucking idiot
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:54 pm

That all sounds more complicated than it's worth.

Like most here, do away with the retellings.

Don't bring back Freeza.

Make Roshi not an attempted rapist.

I'd push back on Goku's being more childish, but that said, I'm more than fine with Goku putting the world in danger for the sake of a fight because it's not "dumb" it's who he always was.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:57 pm

Definitely want to see the build up to the ToP mixed in with the tournament itself to break up the action more. Honestly, while I prefer maybe just 26 episodes in total for the arc (if that) I'd also be fascinated by them literally covering one minute per episode as a joke.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:41 am

I would ban everyone who has non-ironically uttered the phrase "power scaling" within the last 5 years.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:44 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:41 am I would ban everyone who has non-ironically uttered the phrase "power scaling" within the last 5 years.
What about the people who said "power-scaling is stupid"?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:49 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:44 am
Kamiccolo9 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:41 am I would ban everyone who has non-ironically uttered the phrase "power scaling" within the last 5 years.
Them too, just to be safe. When you're cutting away rotting flesh, you don't just stop at the black stuff, you take off a bit of the surrounding part just to be sure.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:51 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:49 am
PurestEvil wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:44 am
Them too, just to be safe. When you're cutting away rotting flesh, you don't just stop at the black stuff, you take off a bit of the surrounding part just to be sure.
You sure you're not Saddam Hussein?

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:39 am

super michael wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:26 am Let says you are given authority to change DBS Anime however you want, what kind of changes would you do?

You can change anything, there is no limit to what you can change. You can add anything extra you want, edit existing scenes and episode or even delete existing things.

If you want to add extra saga or extra episode, that is more than welcome.

I am curious to see what replies I will get here.

Edit you can change characters personalities, characters power level and characters transformations however you like.

Basically you are free to do as you like.
Longer production schedule. Talented team like for One Punch Man.

Skip movie retellings unless Toriyama had more stuff he wanted to add. Less to no filler.

No SSGSSKK or SSGSSE.

Goku Black works like he’s supposed to, with a Super Saiyan form and Rosé.

Two SSGSS’ can take on Zamasu.

Keep Toppo closer to manga.

Future Trunks SS2 hair actually different.

Caulifla and Kale not reach SS2.

Kales form in line with manga, which I assume is closest to Toriyama vision.

Different original OP for the start of series.

Different character designs if possible have it in line with “Yo! Son Goku and his friends return!”.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:53 am

Off the top of my head:
- Clarify exactly how the hell Goku's (and Vegeta's) god powers work. If Goku absorbed the power of Super Saiyan God into his normal forms, why can he still transform into a Super Saiyan God? Talk about having your cake and eating it to.

- Fix Resurrection F. I have no idea how, but something needs to be done about it.

- Goku and Vegeta should've kept wearing their RF outfits. I'm sick of seeing them in their late-Z duds.

- Either Trunks just gets the W against Zamasu and lives happily ever after, or the shitty bad ending of that arc gets incorporated into the Tournament of Power in that the whole thing was instigated by the heroes wanting to use the Super Dragon Balls to restore Trunks's timeline.

- There's no transformation associated with Ultra Instinct. Goku just learns how to move without thinking in his existing forms.

- Bardock isn't in the Granolah arc.

- Goku should definitely be wearing his end-of-Z turquoise gi by the time of DBS: Super Heroes.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:48 pm

-Make any use of actual god powers after first arc instead of throwing non-god ki antagonists for majority of time with Zamasu and Toppo being the only exception here

-Make UI work as intended, instead of making it another transformation and power up even though it's completely not what it was supposed to be + never turn Goku's hair white. Omen version looked MUCH better

-Erase Goku Black from existence completely and make weak but immortal Zamasu a main villain, with proper writing and more complex personality than repeating single word

-Move entire Zamasu arc to Zamasu's actual universe to make actual use of entire multiverse lore other than meeting their fighters at tournaments and remove Future Trunks and his timeline from that story completely as well

-Remove pre-ToP tournament completely

-Shorten pre-ToP team gathering to 2-3 episodes so we don't fall asleep waiting for actual tournament

-Shorten entire ToP by at least 50% as nobody cared about all the forgettable and irrelevant opponents which was like 90% or more of fighters. Manga did it good by making Kale beat most of random fighters in few panels so they could focus on those who matter in any way.

-Remove Broly with lipstick and her crybaby form, that was insluting. Once again, manga's approach was fine, both with base and berserk Kale.

-Make Toppo a main antagonist of ToP instead of the most generic and boring character i could ever imagine. Toppo was completely fine and had some personality at least.

-Give Mr. Buu any respect as a character

-Remove Pilaf's gang entirely. They were not funny at all.

-Keep RoF outfits for the rest of series

-Make Vegito actually relevant instead of throwing him in as quick fanservice + give him new outfit based on RoF outfits of Goku and Vegeta

-Remove copy vegeta, that space parasite and whatever non-slice of life filler else there was (baseball was cool)

-Make Kefla weaker and let Gohan fight her like in manga

-Remove SSBE completely, that was just silly consolation for Vegeta's fans for Goku having UI. I actually think it would be more badass if Vegeta defeated whoever he would fight now (as Toppo is now main foe) without using new form showing that he doesn't need anything beyond what he has.

-Make U7 lose a tournament at the very end. We all knew everything is going to be okay anyway because EoZ exists so why not make it less obvious? Even if we kept Jiren as main foe, make him redeem himself and bring back all the other universes.

-Make Goten and Trunks GROW UP lol
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta