Anyone wish we got more variety in DB when it comes to character designs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Anyone wish we got more variety in DB when it comes to character designs?

Post by Seekeroftruth » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:56 am

Like just once I wish we got 4 legged fighter for Goku and friends to fight against or a character that has a non-humanoid appearance. I find the constant 1 v 1 fight with humanoid characters to be getting old and the series needs a fresh start with giving us a little bit more variety. After all, DB is a fight often with aliens vs aliens and yet all of them just happened to have humanoid size/shape.

For example, let's take some inspiration from Bleach in which we actually get to see a fight played out between a 4 legged fighter and a humanoid fighter.

https://youtu.be/0FoYNXPVlyE

Do you agree we need more variety when it comes to character design?

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Re: Anyone wish we got more variety in DB when it comes to Character designs

Post by The Iron Fjord » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:24 pm

I don't know what you're talking about Dragon Ball has some pretty varied character designs, even in Super. Just look at the likes of Toppo, or Magetta.
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:04 am

The Iron Fjord wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:24 pm I don't know what you're talking about Dragon Ball has some pretty varied character designs, even in Super. Just look at the likes of Toppo, or Magetta.
Design wise, restricting to only humanoid base characters is limiting in character design. All characters mention before have humanoid base designed.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:23 pm

Of the examples in the OP, I only recognize Bleach. And bleach is an odity because they've started with weird and unorthodox character design. All of the characters go through radical changes as their powers grow and evolve.

But look at Dragonball's main contemparories like One Piece and Naruto. Now, I'm not so far into those series but from what I gleam from time to tiem are those also two arm/two legs for the most part?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:47 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing more kaijuu-style creatures. I think the series could benefit from more giants in battle.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:05 pm

I'm a big fan of the Angels from Shin Seiki Evangelion, so I think enemies like Ramiel and Armisael would be cool because they would change how Gokuu and the others have to fight while also being simple to draw.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:08 pm

I don't know. I mean each universe did look different enough (Justice Troopers, magical girls, etc) despite the employment of variants (Frost - Frieza, Champa-Beerus, Saiyans from different universes).

But I wonder if too much design variety can lead far away from your original design aesthetic and whether that should be done.

I did enjoy some of the parodies employed though (Botamo - Winnie the Pooh, Hit - Star Platinum).
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:44 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:05 pm I'm a big fan of the Angels from Shin Seiki Evangelion, so I think enemies like Ramiel and Armisael would be cool because they would change how Gokuu and the others have to fight while also being simple to draw.
So glad someone else is an Eva fan in this forum. I agree, the Angels are pretty cool and unique villains, and it would be neat for the characters to fight something like them in a future arc.

Actually, we need to go even further: Dragon Ball, but with the experimental storytelling and thematic depth of Evangelion. Basically turning it into the exact opposite of what it currently is. Asuka and Vegeta are basically the same character anyways.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:29 pm

ZeroIsOurHero wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:44 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:05 pm I'm a big fan of the Angels from Shin Seiki Evangelion, so I think enemies like Ramiel and Armisael would be cool because they would change how Gokuu and the others have to fight while also being simple to draw.
So glad someone else is an Eva fan in this forum. I agree, the Angels are pretty cool and unique villains, and it would be neat for the characters to fight something like them in a future arc.

Actually, we need to go even further: Dragon Ball, but with the experimental storytelling and thematic depth of Evangelion. Basically turning it into the exact opposite of what it currently is. Asuka and Vegeta are basically the same character anyways.
Eva is so, so important to me. Not just because I consider it the best TV series and The End of Evangelion the best film of all time but in the lead up to me hatching it was super important in helping me realize how much I emphasized with women in media. Misato and Asuka are so flawed but also so cool and cute, I definitely saw myself in their personal struggles. Misato's struggle to be a responsible adult and Asuka's charade of aggressive strength hiding deep psychological scars had me engrossed so much that I watched Eva three times a year in 2016-2018. As a write it also taught me how to think more in terms of pacing as a director. Anno, Tsurumaki and Masayuki's storyboarding totally changed how I understand the use of sound and with visuals, the rhythmic use of repetition and the use of stillness and simplicity. Episodes #15-26 blow my mind every time I watch them.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:11 am

I was still quite happy with the variety with got in the Universe 6 tournament, and later in the Universal Survival arc. Humanoids, sure, but they felt very different to what had been seen in Dragon Ball prior. Botamo, Magetta, Ribrianne, and especially the Trio de Dangers stand out as favorites to me.

I wouldn't be against another type of fighter necessarily, but the Super tournaments gave the the variety I wanted as far as designs and technique.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:34 am

I never had a problem with that. However, all faces not looking the same would be something I'd definitely like.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Anyone wish we got more variety in DB when it comes to character designs?

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:20 pm

Moro’s old goat design was fairly unique for a post-Freeza Dragon Ball antagonist, but by the time he absorbed 7-3, his design reverted to looking more like a typical Dragon Ball villain.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:24 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:20 pm Moro’s old goat design was fairly unique for a post-Freeza Dragon Ball antagonist, but by the time he absorbed 7-3, his design reverted to looking more like a typical Dragon Ball villain.
Same trapezoid eyes, pointy nose, and shit eating smirk
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:34 pm

Drawing different kinds of designs on such short notice is hard. We should demand longer production schedules for all Dragon Ball projects and promotional art so as to increase the variety of designs.
She/Her
bisexual milf