GT vs Super

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Re: GT vs Super

Post by super michael » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:56 pm

How could they be more motivated?

Trunks wanted to fight in U6 vs U7, which there was nothing at stake.
Goten and Trunks wanted to go to the future to help Future Trunks.
Goten wanted to go to with Goku to train with Whis.
Goten and Trunks wanted to train with Vegeta.
Goten wasn't allowed to spar with Goku his own dad.

I say that is a lot of motivation.
Goku had to beg Krillin to join, even though he wasn't motivated. Bulma had to pay to get C18 to join the ToP.

Edit even if in Yo Son Goku Ova they were weak, they were allowed to fight. They got encouraged while fighting, which we will never see in DBS by the looks of it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:33 pm

And yet they did nothing. No one could stop them if they truly wanted it. In the Buu arc, no one could stop them from doing anything they wanted.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:55 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:33 pm And yet they did nothing. No one could stop them if they truly wanted it. In the Buu arc, no one could stop them from doing anything they wanted.
Rewatching the Boo arc not too long ago actually puts into perspective why the characters no longer wanted them around for important events in Super. They couldn’t be trusted to not clown around. Gotenks show boating ended up being a huge liability.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:54 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:55 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:33 pm And yet they did nothing. No one could stop them if they truly wanted it. In the Buu arc, no one could stop them from doing anything they wanted.
Rewatching the Boo arc not too long ago actually puts into perspective why the characters no longer wanted them around for important events in Super. They couldn’t be trusted to not clown around. Gotenks show boating ended up being a huge liability.
Which would be an excellent start for some character development.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:51 pm

super michael wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:56 pm How could they be more motivated?

Goku had to beg Krillin to join, even though he wasn't motivated. Bulma had to pay to get C18 to join the ToP.

Edit even if in Yo Son Goku Ova they were weak, they were allowed to fight. They got encouraged while fighting, which we will never see in DBS by the looks of it.
The first two were for good reason; Black and Zamasu were very dangerous and way out of Goten and Trunks' league. Plus, even if they were able to fight them, there's a high chance they'd fuck it up. They weren't allowed to go for their own good; they didn't want them to die and they have their own responsibilities, primarily Goten.

If Goten died against Goku Black, I'd expect Chi Chi to bitch at Goku for the rest of his life about it.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:04 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:51 pm

The first two were for good reason; Black and Zamasu were very dangerous and way out of Goten and Trunks' league. Plus, even if they were able to fight them, there's a high chance they'd fuck it up. They weren't allowed to go for their own good; they didn't want them to die and they have their own responsibilities, primarily Goten.

If Goten died against Goku Black, I'd expect Chi Chi to bitch at Goku for the rest of his life about it.
I don’t think it’s bitching when your child was murdered because your spouse was a moron.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:13 am

The only reason Goku Black and Zamasu are out of their league is because they are not allowed to train with strong warriors.

Future Goten died along with Future Chi Chi thanks to her rules. If Future Goten trained then he could survive against Goku Black.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:07 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:13 am

The only reason Goku Black and Zamasu are out of their league is because they are not allowed to train with strong warriors.

Future Goten died along with Future Chi Chi thanks to her rules. If Future Goten trained then he could survive against Goku Black.
SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta together barely survived Goku Black, Future Goten would not survive Black at all, specially with Chichi around being a liability Black would exploit.

I don't know why you still can't get over the fact they were NOT intended to be fighters by the end of Z or DBS. What you propose would go against the original manga ending.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:50 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:07 pm

SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta together barely survived Goku Black, Future Goten would not survive Black at all, specially with Chichi around being a liability Black would exploit.

I don't know why you still can't get over the fact they were NOT intended to be fighters by the end of Z or DBS. What you propose would go against the original manga ending.
Goku Black was new to Goku body, he couldn't even transform at all. It would be the same like Gohan surviving against Ginyu in Goku body. The only thing different is Goten didn't train.

Just because Goten stopped training in EOZ doesn't mean he stopped immediately. There is before EOZ and after EOZ. Don't forget in DBO Goten gets inspired by Gohan book, so he develops ki techniques for weapons. That is why he open his dojo.

The humans retired after the Cell Games and Gohan stopped training in the Buu Saga and didn't fight in EOZ, but he was involved in DBS. So why can't Goten and Trunks be given the same treatment like Gohan and the humans.

C17 didn't train and got to SSB tier level.
Gohan barely did any training and got to SSB tier.

There is the ROSAT which would make years into days of training.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:25 pm

super michael wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:50 pm

Goku Black was new to Goku body, he couldn't even transform at all. It would be the same like Gohan surviving against Ginyu in Goku body. The only thing different is Goten didn't train.

Just because Goten stopped training in EOZ doesn't mean he stopped immediately. There is before EOZ and after EOZ. Don't forget in DBO Goten gets inspired by Gohan book, so he develops ki techniques for weapons. That is why he open his dojo.

The humans retired after the Cell Games and Gohan stopped training in the Buu Saga and didn't fight in EOZ, but he was involved in DBS. So why can't Goten and Trunks be given the same treatment like Gohan and the humans.

DBO is a game, so that's that.
Black couldn't transform and still was way above Future Trunks, an adult, more experienced and stronger version of present Trunks.

We didn't know for sure if Gohan stopped training by EoZ, he just wears his glasses, he didn't get clear cut statements like the other kids, who vocally expressed their lack of interest in fighting and training. There’s no going around that.
Sure, it was implied Gohan stopped training, but after DBS we have to assume he just came from work or whatever, because DBS made him a fighter, and he keeps training even to this day. So, it’s sort of a retcon but actually it is not with Gohan.

The kids were set, from the get go, to reach EoZ completely sick of fighting and training, they say so, it's not something we assume based on their designs, therefore making them fight in DBS would contradict the original manga.
This time period was the time where they found new interests, this is the time period when they fall out of love, sort of speak, with training. Even if it's for just a while, even if after EoZ they make peace with it and become even stronger, this is the time when they take a break.

Everything you propose, would go against their pre-destined lives written by the author.

I won't argue that there were better ways to make that journey much more organic and natural for them(like on another thread another user proposed), than just sidelining them or pretending they don't exist, but if they were to fight, it had to be back in the early portion of DBS, by now, so close to EoZ, it's too late and they must be out of touch with fighting and training just like they were by the end of Dragonball.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:31 pm

I don't see what use the Saiyan kids would have in the Future Trunks arc.

Goten was already confirmed to be absolute and complete fodder to the weakest form of Goku Black (so Goku Black right after he wished to switch bodies) when he got utterly murdered by him off-screen; and Trunks, while slightly stronger than Goten (he beat him in the tournament fight after all), was ultimately relative to him in strength.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYrjJcadoi0

Really, these two wouldn't have much use except to serve as "rage trigger" for the Saiyan dads, not too differently from Krillin's role in the Namek arc. Except that we know only Grand Zeno could defeat Zamasu (due to the latter's Immortality), so even their deaths would be in vain...

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:30 pm

Aim wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:04 pm

I don’t think it’s bitching when your child was murdered because your spouse was a moron.
Would you rather him stay home and die anyway, then?

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:14 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:30 pm

He’s like 10 - 11, expecting him to engage in such a situation that an 11 year old shouldn’t engage in is cruel.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:36 pm

Aim wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:14 pm

He’s like 10 - 11, expecting him to engage in such a situation that an 11 year old shouldn’t engage in is cruel.
Saiyans, Freeza, Cell Games and Majin Boo be like:

Also, I thought Goten was as old as I am (14)

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:17 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:36 pm Also, I thought Goten was as old as I am (14)
Super ignores the calendar and just keeps Goten and Trunks the same ages as the Boo saga.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:15 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:36 pm
Aim wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:14 pm

Saiyans, Freeza, Cell Games and Majin Boo be like:

Also, I thought Goten was as old as I am (14)
Uh, yeah? Gohan never wanted to have to fight.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:01 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:25 pm

Black couldn't transform and still was way above Future Trunks, an adult, more experienced and stronger version of present Trunks.

We didn't know for sure if Gohan stopped training by EoZ, he just wears his glasses, he didn't get clear cut statements like the other kids, who vocally expressed their lack of interest in fighting and training. There’s no going around that.
Sure, it was implied Gohan stopped training, but after DBS we have to assume he just came from work or whatever, because DBS made him a fighter, and he keeps training even to this day. So, it’s sort of a retcon but actually it is not with Gohan.

The kids were set, from the get go, to reach EoZ completely sick of fighting and training, they say so, it's not something we assume based on their designs, therefore making them fight in DBS would contradict the original manga.
This time period was the time where they found new interests, this is the time period when they fall out of love, sort of speak, with training. Even if it's for just a while, even if after EoZ they make peace with it and become even stronger, this is the time when they take a break.

Everything you propose, would go against their pre-destined lives written by the author.

I won't argue that there were better ways to make that journey much more organic and natural for them(like on another thread another user proposed), than just sidelining them or pretending they don't exist, but if they were to fight, it had to be back in the early portion of DBS, by now, so close to EoZ, it's too late and they must be out of touch with fighting and training just like they were by the end of Dragonball.
I just want to mention that DBS has ignored that Goku doesn't see Bulma in 5 years in EOZ, yet in DBS Goku has met Bulma in Broly movie which Bra has aged. Goku was with Chi Chi and Bulma in the Moro chapter.

If in the movie Bulma and Goku are together that is even more contradiction.

If they can ignore Bulma statement of not seeing Goku for 5 years, then surely they can ignore that statement of Goten and Trunks being slacker.

We know they are slacker in EOZ, but we don't know when exactly, just because they are slackers in EOZ specifically doesn't mean they can't stop being slackers later on or before EOZ.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:29 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:01 pmI just want to mention that DBS has ignored that Goku doesn't see Bulma in 5 years in EOZ, yet in DBS Goku has met Bulma in Broly movie.
Not necessarily. Movie 1 takes place in AGE 780, four years before that infamous quote. Bulma and Goku may have rounded up the amount of time they didn't see each other. Nothing says it must be full five years, it could be four years and X months.
super michael wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:01 pmGoku was with Chi Chi and Bulma in the Moro chapter.
Moro saga also takes place in AGE 780, so the solution above applies here (and that's assuming Movie 2 will even acknowledge these manga-only stuff).
super michael wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:01 pmIf in the movie Bulma and Goku are together that is even more contradiction.
That remains to be seen. But would certainly be the first time that line is properly contradicted.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:37 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:01 pm

I just want to mention that DBS has ignored that Goku doesn't see Bulma in 5 years in EOZ, yet in DBS Goku has met Bulma in Broly movie which Bra has aged. Goku was with Chi Chi and Bulma in the Moro chapter.

If they can ignore Bulma statement of not seeing Goku for 5 years, then surely they can ignore that statement of Goten and Trunks being slacker.

We know they are slacker in EOZ, but we don't know when exactly, just because they are slackers in EOZ specifically doesn't mean they can't stop being slackers later on or before EOZ.
You can't compare a meaningless comment about how many years have gone by, that absolutely means nothing in the great scheme of things with how two characters are actually portrayed, you are literally asking to retcon characters, not a throw away phrase like Bulma's, that is not even being retconned, it's just coming out as inaccurate and like by only two years, not 10, so the inaccuracy of Bulma could even be just a figure of speech. Besides, it's still a harmless line, I wouldn't be surprised if they meet in Super Hero and nothing important will be changed by that.

Like I said in the bolded part, I'm not against them regaining their mojo after EoZ, and it's already too late for them to do that now prior to the Tournament. They have to be shown how the author portrayed them to be, their chance to shine without stepping all over the original material was before the Zamasu arc or the ToP.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:54 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:37 pm
super michael wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:01 pm

You can't compare a meaningless comment about how many years have gone by, that absolutely means nothing in the great scheme of things with how two characters are actually portrayed, you are literally asking to retcon characters, not a throw away phrase like Bulma's, that is not even being retconned, it's just coming out as inaccurate and like by only two years, not 10, so the inaccuracy of Bulma could even be just a figure of speech. Besides, it's still a harmless line, I wouldn't be surprised if they meet in Super Hero and nothing important will be changed by that.

Like I said in the bolded part, I'm not against them regaining their mojo after EoZ, and it's already too late for them to do that now prior to the Tournament. They have to be shown how the author portrayed them to be, their chance to shine without stepping all over the original material was before the Zamasu arc or the ToP.
To be fair, it would recon characters that we saw for a fraction of--what--three episodes? Super has retconed the immensely popular Bardock TV special, the immensely popular Broli character, and the two latest Z movies. I don't think it would be too far off a stretch if they just retconed Goten and Trunks from the end of Z.

I will say that if they ever reenact the end of Z and Bulma does her five years line, I'd get a kick out of it if it cut to one of the other characters' thoughts saying something to the effect that she's being way too overdramatic.