Will we ever get a good home release of Dragon Ball Z in the States ever again?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Will we ever get a good home release of Dragon Ball Z in the States ever again?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:11 pm

I'll be honest, i'm hella lucky that i even found mine for the prices i did. That was a byproduct of simply striking while the iron was hot because over the course of those few years (I started collecting them back in 2016, and didn't get the last one until about a year ago) i waited until reasonable deals could be had so it wasn't an easy road to travel down by any means. The most i ever had to pay for any single set was a little over $200 for Dragon Box 4 which just so happened to be the one i got last of all and was one hell of a bargain when compared to the ridiculous overpriced eBay auctions i've seen it go for in the past for $600 and up. As mentioned before, i found my copy of Dragon Box 1 for a dirt cheap $25 used at a movie store which simply blew my mind especially with how much i've seen it go for lately.

Not tooting my own horn too much on this, i'm just saying that it was quite lucky that barring one or two boxes i didn't have that much trouble in obtaining them.
ZeroIsOurHero wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:10 pm Actually, since someone mentioned piracy websites, 9anime.to actually has the Dragon Box version uploaded on their site, listed as "Dragon Ball Z (Uncropped)." It's subbed only, but for most users here that probably won't be a problem.
I've been on that site myself quite a bit, mostly to watch stuff like the Japanese versions of the old school Pokemon episodes and films (Indigo League through Johto) which are not available on the home video release of the franchise here in any form. In terms of the above mentioned if someone who's a fan and wants to see DBZ subbed in 4:3 but can't get the Dragon Boxes themselves where the lack of the dub track with that footage as on the latter isn't an issue then this is at least a good alternative.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Will we ever get a good home release of Dragon Ball Z in the States ever again?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:57 pm

I got Box 5 for around $60-80 on Amazon a few years back, then found an eBay seller who was able to sell Boxes 6 and 7 for a little less than $100. I couldn't find the rest for those kind of prices, so I gave up and sold Boxes 5-7. I know there's been some good deals here and there, a thread was posted here once about someone selling all 7 for $400, but I missed them. I'd still like to own all the Dragon Boxes, but I don't have any immediate plans given their cost and other commitments I have.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:37 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:57 pm I got Box 5 for around $60-80 on Amazon a few years back, then found an eBay seller who was able to sell Boxes 6 and 7 for a little less than $100. I couldn't find the rest for those kind of prices, so I gave up and sold Boxes 5-7. I know there's been some good deals here and there, a thread was posted here once about someone selling all 7 for $400, but I missed them. I'd still like to own all the Dragon Boxes, but I don't have any immediate plans given their cost and other commitments I have.
This is roughly the range I got mine for too, with the highest being Dragon Box 2 from my memory. Still paid more than I'm proud of, but nothing compared to what they go for now.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:30 pm

[img]https://i.imgflip.com/5tv3rd.jpg[img]

Edit: Fuck this, just take the link and go: https://i.imgflip.com/5tv3rd.jpg
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:23 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:30 pm [img]https://i.imgflip.com/5tv3rd.jpg[img]

Edit: Fuck this, just take the link and go: https://i.imgflip.com/5tv3rd.jpg
That describes this ridiculous mess very well, because it seems FUNimation just can't get it together and put out a decent quality release of DBZ in 4:3. Like seriously, it's not even really that difficult but they've sure as hell made it so. I've said it before and i'll say it again, it seems they haven't got a clue when it comes to releasing their most beloved licensed series in a good quality version the way it was truly intended to be seen.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:29 am

Yes, as long as Funimation gonna lose license, and company like Discotek will do it.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:39 am

I gave up years ago. The 30th anniversary edition and the steelbooks that they released last year was their last chance and they blew it.

I ended up just buying the steelbooks because it was the only way for me to own the series in 4:3.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:51 am

And you wonder why many Americans go to pirating sites instead of buying these stupid DVDs.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:59 am

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:51 am And you wonder why many Americans go to pirating sites instead of buying these stupid DVDs.
Yeah, it's reaching a point now where only a very small minority (albeit a loud minority) of fans will care as the more time passes the more niche physical media becomes. While it's long been thought the level sets didn't sell well it's doubtful by now a release of similar quality would fare any better. Discs were still quite mainstream in 2011 and could still be found everywhere, now in 2021 places that sell them are generally more specialty stores.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:35 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:51 am And you wonder why many Americans go to pirating sites instead of buying these stupid DVDs.
No wonder, when pirates put more effort into quality release than Funimation, and it's honestly pretty sad, even back in 2006/2007, it was better option to get one of those "Dragonbox collection" bootleg blue and yellow boxes, than orange bricks
https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/i ... on_ball_z/
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:24 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:39 am

I ended up just buying the steelbooks because it was the only way for me to own the series in 4:3.
I would but I’m waiting for the price to drop. I’m not paying $45 and tax a pop for those things. For now I just temporarily subscribed to FUNimationNow when I feel a Dragon Ball Z itch.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:08 pm

We wouldn't have to go to pirating sites if the releases were competent
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:31 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:08 pm
We wouldn't have to go to pirating sites if the releases were competent
So true, i could see why a fan would be like "Screw it" and just watch the show online when FUNimation has messed up the home releases so much.

Preeve

Post by Preeve » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:09 am

How about being a UK fan of Dragon Ball...

Until the early 2010’s (maybe 2013?) thanks to Manga UK, we didn’t have any (good or substantial) home video releases of any major Dragon Ball content.

When I was about 10/11 years old (in 2011), my family and I were travelling in the US and we stopped by a Best Buy. Upon looking in the DVD section, I end up walking into a treasure trove of Dragon Ball DVDs. The Orange Bricks, Dragon Boxes, Kai, OG Dragon Ball, GT, the movie steelbooks, you name it. The thing is, because I was from the UK, I had to bear several things in mind: I didn’t know what the fuck half these releases even were, and I had to make sure these DVDs would play on Region 2 DVD/Blu-Ray players.

It was overwhelming. While I was mildly aware of some releases thanks to the internet, I didn’t know what a Dragon Box was or what made it different and that much more expensive than the Orange Bricks. On top of that, they weren’t Region 2, and I also had no idea about any issues the Orange Bricks had. I had only barely heard about Kai, and I wasn’t sure what differentiated that from Z too. I had heard from an Amazon review that those movie releases had “issues” with region coding, so I didn’t bother with those (it probably would have worked, but eh), and OG DB and it’s movies were also not Region 2.

Can you imagine having to make a decision on which of these releases to buy when you had to take so many things into account? In the end, I ended up coming home with The OG DB Movie Pack (despite the issues with it not being Region 2. Don’t ask) and Seasons 1 and 3 of the Orange Bricks. Over the next few years, I would end up collecting the rest of the Orange Bricks, including some of those Manga UK Orange Bricks when those were eventually out, as well as getting that first Z Movie 5 Pack at some point.

When Manga brought over OG DB with the Saga Set video, I got those too (and I’m still wondering why they never brought the movies over...), and I later got the Complete GT set in America a few years ago upon another visit. Only somewhat recently have I sold off those crap Orange Bricks (except for ones too scratched to sell due to their flimsy ass packaging), and gotten the UK 30th Anniversary Blu-Rays, not because they’re good, but because I can’t see them getting any better in the future.

Kinda sucks to look back a realise that I had a golden opportunity to pick up a Dragon Box or two when they were still new, but I blame Funimation for having such an absurd amount of Dragon Ball releases available at one time, with highly inconsistent region coding on top of that. I can’t how any non-American/Canadian could walk into a Best Buy and not be baffled by the wide, and often overlapping, selection. In that moment, I knew how it felt to be a grandma buying video games for her grandkids.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:47 am

I'm from Ireland, and can relate. Until Manga UK licensed the orange bricks in 2012 all we had were DVDs for the Big Green dubs of Z movies 2-4.

I did go to Florida in 2009, although I didn't see any Dragon Boxes but I was still envious of all the Dragon Ball home media you could find walking in to a store, even if it was overwhelming, I'd rather have too much than too little. Next time I was in that part of the world was Canada in 2013 when the Dragon Boxes had sadly gone out of print.

I too purchased the new UK Blu-Rays, they look nice with the matching spines, reversible covers and posters and art cards. I'd say PQ aside they are the best in print release of the series when it comes to packaging. Highly recommended for anyone that just wants to own or support the series.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:42 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:47 am I'm from Ireland, and can relate. Until Manga UK licensed the orange bricks in 2012 all we had were DVDs for the Big Green dubs of Z movies 2-4.

I did go to Florida in 2009, although I didn't see any Dragon Boxes but I was still envious of all the Dragon Ball home media you could find walking in to a store, even if it was overwhelming, I'd rather have too much than too little. Next time I was in that part of the world was Canada in 2013 when the Dragon Boxes had sadly gone out of print.

I too purchased the new UK Blu-Rays, they look nice with the matching spines, reversible covers and posters and art cards. I'd say PQ aside they are the best in print release of the series when it comes to packaging. Highly recommended for anyone that just wants to own or support the series.
Yeah, if you have to buy DBZ on home media and can't get the Dragon Boxes (or not willing to spend all that money), then the 30th anniversary release is your best bet. At least it's not the most outrageous thing you can get. Yes, DNR and detail loss, but I find it too be a huge exaggeration to say that it's worse than the orange bricks (the hands-down worst release of anything that I've ever seen in my life) and the season ser Blu-ray (which wasn't that terrible, but it was cropped). Yes, we're fans and I understand that there are things that we want preserved. However, I feel like DNR is a common thing (for older restored shows/movies released on Blu-ray) that people generally don't really make a big fuss about--I could completely be wrong.

But being DB fans who supported the series for so long, it should not be hard to have one good original release. The one time Funimation got it right, it wasn't even their own work really.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:08 am

SoM, enough said I'm over it!

HarveyPlissken

Post by HarveyPlissken » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:30 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:39 am I gave up years ago. The 30th anniversary edition and the steelbooks that they released last year was their last chance and they blew it.

I'm starting to give up any hope for a good home media release, as well. That's why I plan to break out my Blu-Ray burner and start putting together my own physical copy of the series, using the Seed of Might editions. I'd share my custom covers I did on Blu-Ray.com forum, but it's a bitch and a half to figure out how to even upload pictures on there.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:23 am

SupremeSSJ wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:08 am SoM, enough said I'm over it!
As much as I don't condone piracy it really says it all when fan efforts put the official releases to shame. Personally, at this stage I'd be embarrassed if I worked for Crunchyroll.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:04 am

The title implies there was a good release before.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: