Do you have a favorite Shenlong anime sequence?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Do you have a favorite Shenlong anime sequence?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:19 pm

Some portions of Dragon Ball that I ironically take for granted (considering the series' namesake) are the sequences in which the Eternal Dragon arises once all seven Dragon Balls are gathered. I'm currently re-watching the Dragon Ball anime and just finished the episode where Upa's father is revived. It got me wondering what anyone else's favorite Eternal Dragon sequences (Shenlong, Porunga, etc.) is across any of the Dragon Ball anime/movies. Mine is the sequence I named, where Upa's father is revived.

I love this moment for the sequence itself and for what it represents in the story. As for the sequence, the anime gives a full sense of awe and wonder to the second time we see the Eternal Dragon in the main story. The late Shunsuke Kikuchi's haunting, mysterious score adds so much to heighten the impact in ways the manga cannot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Hqm6_sMJo I love the slow build-up once all the Dragon Balls are set down together. We see them glowing, and gradually the bright day turns dark. We see clouds and lightning, and witness Shenlong rising to match the scale of Karin's Tower. And we get excellent perspective shots of Goku and Upa in front of Shenlong to emphasize the scale. Upa is so awed and momentarily frightened that, in the moment, he forgets about resurrecting his father and runs away. For me, there's not a moment that so brilliantly captures how awestruck anyone would be seeing Shenlong for the first time.

As to the larger impact on the story, there's the obvious: this is the first time we've seen the Dragon Balls used to restore life, something that would go on to become a common trope of the series. And I feel the impact is at its greatest here. The audience has witnessed Upa's father and Upa form a close bond with Goku, as well as the bond Upa and his father shared and the murder committed by Tao Pai Pai, so we have been invested in seeing Goku succeed in collecting the Dragon Balls to revive Upa's father. In the end, we get that, and I love that Goku is able to pinpoint the 4-star ball that he set out to find at the beginning of the arc and jump to collect it. This small moment signifies how Goku's strength has grown, and it shows that he succeeded in what his main mission was while helping others along the way. More significantly, minutes prior we got the premonition from Uranai Baba that Goku is going to save the world someday. This is a turning point in innocent, pure Goku's journey, and a perfect halfway point that sets up where he goes in the Piccolo Daimao arc. And just in general, while Goku's primary goal is to get stronger, the storyline with Upa goes to show that he cares for others and is committed to helping those in need.

For a series that came to be more closely identified with martial arts, the mystical, fantastical grandeur of Shenlong has been present since the very beginning, and for me it adds so much to the appeal of Dragon Ball.

What is your favorite Eternal Dragon scene and why?
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Do You Have a Favorite Eternal Dragon Anime Sequence?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:38 pm

End of GT is easily my favorite one with shenron fixing everything for one last time before taking Goku for a journey.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:28 am

sunsetshimmer wrote: ↑Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:38 pm End of GT is easily my favorite one with shenron fixing everything for one last time before taking Goku for a journey.
That's a great pick. I'll know where it lands for me once I get there in my re-watch (of all the series plus movies), but that scene was extremely emotional to me when I watched all of GT a year ago. Vegeta and Pan's reactions were what affected me the most.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:30 am

My favorite sequence is in DB episode 126, the wish to revive everyone killed by Piccolo Daimao, after God has just resurrected Shenlong.

It's a really well directed sequence, beginning at the Kame House, where we see Yamcha and Tenshinhan sitting outside and discussing training for the next Tenka-ichi Budokai, and how the Dragon Balls are inactive. We see Lunch at the doorway watching them. Oolong and Puerh are relaxing inside, while Bulma is preparing for a bath. She looks through the drawer to decide which pair of panties to wear next, and then she turns and sees that the stone Dragon Balls have now been reactivated. She runs outside to Yamcha who realizes what's happening, and they exchange a knowing look. Then they summon Shenlong and wish everyone back to life.

It all unfolds in such a serene and natural manner, and relies on characterization to bring the scenes to life. The Katsumi Aoshima artwork in the episode is a big part of why these scenes work so well. He brings a certain kind of raw energy and believability to his episodes. Kikuchi's score is also on point, helping to deliver the big moments.

I also like the sequence at the end of DB Movie 3 Mystical Adventure as "Dragon Ball Densetsu" plays over the credits. I like the Kikuchi track and dialogue leading up to it, and it all just looks cool. Plus I like the idea of there being a separate myth behind Shenlong and different ways to summon him, much like in real life mythology and religion.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:09 pm

MyVisionity wrote: ↑Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:30 am My favorite sequence is in DB episode 126, the wish to revive everyone killed by Piccolo Daimao, after God has just resurrected Shenlong.

It's a really well directed sequence, beginning at the Kame House, where we see Yamcha and Tenshinhan sitting outside and discussing training for the next Tenka-ichi Budokai, and how the Dragon Balls are inactive. We see Lunch at the doorway watching them. Oolong and Puerh are relaxing inside, while Bulma is preparing for a bath. She looks through the drawer to decide which pair of panties to wear next, and then she turns and sees that the stone Dragon Balls have now been reactivated. She runs outside to Yamcha who realizes what's happening, and they exchange a knowing look. Then they summon Shenlong and wish everyone back to life.

It all unfolds in such a serene and natural manner, and relies on characterization to bring the scenes to life. The Katsumi Aoshima artwork in the episode is a big part of why these scenes work so well. He brings a certain kind of raw energy and believability to his episodes. Kikuchi's score is also on point, helping to deliver the big moments.

I also like the sequence at the end of DB Movie 3 Mystical Adventure as "Dragon Ball Densetsu" plays over the credits. I like the Kikuchi track and dialogue leading up to it, and it all just looks cool. Plus I like the idea of there being a separate myth behind Shenlong and different ways to summon him, much like in real life mythology and religion.
Solid choice, and I actually just finished DB Movie 3 for the first time and really loved that whole credits sequence. That would have to be somewhere up there for me as well. I love how the Dragon Balls are activated in the water, and how its a whirlpool once Shenlong comes out.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:59 pm

It's not particularly well animated but goddamn, I remember the Movie #6 Shen Long scene at the beginning of the film so well. Kikuchi Shunsuke's music score for that scene completely knocks the scene out of the park. It's so dark and frightening, which I feel like Sumitomo tends to avoid with his music. 'Horrifying' and 'dark' music in modern Dragon Ball is replaced with 'badass' music, which I think is a definite shame because the manner in which the sort of dark and dramatic music is used for grand moments in Dragon Ball Z really gives those scenes an unexpected and impactful edge.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:14 pm

I think it might have to be King Piccolo summoning him. The clouds engulfing the sky, Goku's disappointed expression, the spooky and dramatic music, the reaction shots: it all oozes with the fear and dread of Piccolo having victory at his grasp.
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:59 pm It's not particularly well animated but goddamn, I remember the Movie #6 Shen Long scene at the beginning of the film so well.
Shen Long was not summoned in Return of Cooler...are you referring to Tree of Might?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:20 pm

PurestEvil wrote: ↑Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:14 pm I think it might have to be King Piccolo summoning him. The clouds engulfing the sky, Goku's disappointed expression, the spooky and dramatic music, the reaction shots: it all oozes with the fear and dread of Piccolo having victory at his grasp.
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:59 pm It's not particularly well animated but goddamn, I remember the Movie #6 Shen Long scene at the beginning of the film so well.
Shen Long was not summoned in Return of Cooler...are you referring to Tree of Might?
Yes, it's the sixth film after all!
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Do you have a favorite Shenlong anime sequence?

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:28 pm

I agree about the darker edge in Tree of Might. I think it's appropriate that Shenlong be portrayed as a terrifying figure who inspires fear and dread. I prefer this to him being Everyone's Buddy.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:58 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:59 pm It's not particularly well animated but goddamn, I remember the Movie #6 Shen Long scene at the beginning of the film so well. Kikuchi Shunsuke's music score for that scene completely knocks the scene out of the park. It's so dark and frightening, which I feel like Sumitomo tends to avoid with his music. 'Horrifying' and 'dark' music in modern Dragon Ball is replaced with 'badass' music, which I think is a definite shame because the manner in which the sort of dark and dramatic music is used for grand moments in Dragon Ball Z really gives those scenes an unexpected and impactful edge.
I'll notice that scene once I get to that movie in my re-watch. I definitely agree about the point of Shenlong being portrayed as terrifying; that's one thing I love about the sequence I picked. By all intents, he's sort of a neutral character, but he looks and feels terrifying when the right music is used. I do wish Sumitomo would use that sort of haunting music more often.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:09 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: ↑Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:58 am
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:59 pm It's not particularly well animated but goddamn, I remember the Movie #6 Shen Long scene at the beginning of the film so well. Kikuchi Shunsuke's music score for that scene completely knocks the scene out of the park. It's so dark and frightening, which I feel like Sumitomo tends to avoid with his music. 'Horrifying' and 'dark' music in modern Dragon Ball is replaced with 'badass' music, which I think is a definite shame because the manner in which the sort of dark and dramatic music is used for grand moments in Dragon Ball Z really gives those scenes an unexpected and impactful edge.
I'll notice that scene once I get to that movie in my re-watch. I definitely agree about the point of Shenlong being portrayed as terrifying; that's one thing I love about the sequence I picked. By all intents, he's sort of a neutral character, but he looks and feels terrifying when the right music is used. I do wish Sumitomo would use that sort of haunting music more often.
The closest piece and placement I can think of is Super Saiyan Blue Gokuu's theme. That transformation scene in #109 is so good because the music makes Blue so dramatic.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:30 am

- The Hirudegan movie has an awesome sequence, with the dragon reflecting on Gohan's sunglasses.

- I liked when he showed up to revive everybody after Namek, maybe it was the whole situation, getting the gang back after so long. Yamcha falling on a pond, or was it Krilin?

- The last appearence of Shenron in GT is interesting, no dark sky, no nothing, not even a wish.

- The Black Shenron in GT was also great. Something's wrong.

- Super Shenron in the U6 arc was overwhelming.

Bonus: I think Toronbo, being blue and all -if they keep that- will be really cool to see.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:47 am

No I don't.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:18 am

Jord wrote: ↑Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:47 amNo I don't.
Appreciate the honesty. Thanks for stopping by anyway! :wave:

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:21 pm

Despite the title saying *Shenlong,* I meant it to be any Eternal Dragon.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:45 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: ↑Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:21 pm Despite the title saying *Shenlong,* I meant it to be any Eternal Dragon.
This is the problem with using terminology from a specific localization -- it can be too confusing/obfuscating/vague, and we reserve the right to edit that kind of stuff for clarity.

For what it's worth, Porunga is referred to as "Super Shenlong, Porunga" and there's of course "Super Shenlong" from the Super Dragon Balls in Dragon Ball Super, so "Shenlong" is much more encompassing a term.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:49 pm

VegettoEX wrote: ↑Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:45 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: ↑Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:21 pm Despite the title saying *Shenlong,* I meant it to be any Eternal Dragon.
This is the problem with using terminology from a specific localization -- it can be too confusing/obfuscating/vague, and we reserve the right to edit that kind of stuff for clarity.

For what it's worth, Porunga is referred to as "Super Shenlong, Porunga" and there's of course "Super Shenlong" from the Super Dragon Balls in Dragon Ball Super, so "Shenlong" is much more encompassing a term.
Ah, I see! So technically Shenlong is correct! Didn't even realize someone edited this; I thought I had originally typed Shenlong lol.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:18 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: ↑Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:49 pm
VegettoEX wrote: ↑Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:45 pm

Ah, I see! So technically Shenlong is correct! Didn't even realize someone edited this; I thought I had originally typed Shenlong lol.
Shenlong basically means "eternal dragon" or something like that so yeah, Shenlong/Shenron is technically every dragon in franchise that comes from dragon balls. Localization made it kinda confusing just like with Kami, where Kami is used as a name even though it's a term for "god".
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:14 pm

Shenlong appearances are always among my favourites, but I've gotta say the first ever one takes the cake for me. It was a great conclusion to the Pilaf saga with so much building up to it, and the Kikuchi Shenlong theme's debut was excellent.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:29 pm

floofychan333 wrote: ↑Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:14 pm Shenlong appearances are always among my favourites, but I've gotta say the first ever one takes the cake for me. It was a great conclusion to the Pilaf saga with so much building up to it, and the Kikuchi Shenlong theme's debut was excellent.
That's a hard one to top, for sure!