Favorite Goku Voice?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

Re: Favorite Goku Voice?

Post by Aim » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:19 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:18 pm
Aim wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:03 am
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am You don’t sound tired at all, you sound like you want to argue very very badly.

I can see you’re very, very tired.
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am Which I would be fine with if it was done in a coherent way, but clearly that’s not happening from your end.

’baseless’
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am I say this because of the fact that you acknowledged what I said at the begining of your latest post but then you procede to deny I said it.
I never said you denied it, if anything I just told you to be clearer, because you kept walking back.
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am I said a few times already, that even though men USUALLY sound like men and women usually sound like women hence the “importance” of gender to some degree, I DON’T care about someone’s gender morso about the voice being a match for the character’s gender.
In which I already answered and said “Fair”.
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am I'm copying it:

- I should’ve said "a person who sounds like an old lady will always be a no for me" for Goku.

- What I care about is how the voice sounds not who the person is.

- there are basic aspects that are taken into account in casting that lean on a basic physical (vocal) match before anything else
(a vocal match is a vocal match, it can come from any gender to any character)
Basically.
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am No
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aW9KQ39WzGQ

I think it’s very interesting.
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am Yes it would.
I literally adressed that here: Or if Goku’s japanese voice actor was a man who sounded exactly like Nozawa I would critizise it just the same because he sounds like a woman
Right, however I’ve found that when seeing it actually come out of a mans mouth it’s a lot less bizarre to people that Goku would sound like that.
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am and that’s offputing for me as it doesn’t match the character.
Welp, if that’s how you see the character .
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am dva_raza wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:15 am
Probably from the fact that she makes Goku sound womanly.

I am very aware by this point that you differ. I don’t see why you keep arguing, I said everyone has a different perception of how masculine or feminine she sounds and you need to accept that and make peace with it
If you want to stop arguing, let me know, and it can stop, otherwise I think I’ve made myself clear that I enjoy in engaging in discussion like this, as I’ve said before, I’m aware of the different perceptions, which is why after saying “I beg to differ” I followed up with some theories on why the sound is perceived differently across the two cultures. You’re still super offended and hooked up on the fact I opened this discussion being less than respectful, let it go.
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am The only thing that’s making my head spin is how shamelessly you either insert words I didn’t say or leave out things I did say that would interfere in you straw man attempt.
It’s what you initially said, then it seemed like you were going around it circles. This is the whole reason I responded.
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am I never said they should or shouldn’t do it, I said I prefer a more naturally suiting voice just the same as I would prefer a female character to be voiced by a female actress, and not by a male actor who KINDA sounds female.
And what if that’s what the character is meant to sound like that? What if that voice is meant to help portray a kind of personality or catch people off guard or even possibly act as a contrast to said characters attributes?

I seriously wonder if this is why western dubs just absolutely lack any kind of unique variation in their voices, because of how absolutely rigid and prevalent this view is, yes this is your preference, however I’m criticizing it, because this is an open forum and I think this is a restricting view. You claim to be a VA and work in the industry, is this a view held by many? I assume so but who knows. Some of the greatest va’s I’ve heard have literally been able to switch between gendered voices, which mean if there’s a female character who particularly sounds unique, people with names associated with men I’m guessing would be crossed out without being a chance to be heard for gender specific characters? Goes the same way.
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am By “naturally” suiting I am refering to the basic fact that men usually sound like men and women usually sound like women without having to make effort to do it.

Does it matter if it takes effort?
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am...... again.. what tha F are you talking about?
You said women are being restricted - I asked how are they being restricted when they are voicing (usually) characters of their own gender, while men are voicing (usually) characters if their own gender. Where is the restriction for women?
Wait, what if they can actually voice men of the specific shows? We see this in Japan, that’s what I mean by restriction, it loses that touch that makes it unique. That’s what I mean by restricting. You get it now?
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am No.
I don’t see what the race of a person has to do with their tone/type of voice as it does in the case of gender.
Only maybe the accent, but that is something actors are usually able to neutralize or change to match the character
We spoke of typically, there is absolutely a difference here that has a whole bunch of variables that play in. It was perfectly comparable.

I’m surprised you haven’t brought up vocal tract length, weight, and all that when it comes to the gendered voices, which people have been able to achieve through training and even naturally. If we actually encouraged more variation in voices instead of “typically this typically that”, we would have a wider range of voices in anime like what we see in their original versions.

My opinion though, you’re free to criticize it, I won’t cry I promise.
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am
I didn’t say it should be based on gender I said it should be based on the voice matching. It's right there.

Sounds like you put a lot of emphasis on the person actually matching the gender of the character when we’ve been talking about how if someone can MATCH the voice, not based on looks but on the tone, original, and all the other nuances, then it shouldn’t matter. Get it?

dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am All over the place is precisely how I would describe your latest post.
Touché, feels like you read how I feel about your posts.
dva_raza wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am I’m not sure if you're genuinely not understanding what I’m saying or you’re just throwing any random thing you can think of because you can’t handle the fact that you lost the debate from the moment you began making baseless attacks, let it go
Well you weren’t very clear from the moment you posted here, so I would have my bets on that you’re probably not expressing yourself very well.

As I said, if you want it to stop, just say so.
Is there a reason you felt the need to screenshot all of this shit? Jesus, dude.
It wouldn’t resize! Lol

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:35 pm

Ian James Corlett for me.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:49 pm

one last thing, since I'm watchin Blue Water GT. Jeremiah Yurk (no idea how to spell that, hope I got it right) fits the Goku in GT. He is a seasoned veteran, calm and collected.
However he does NOT fit any other Goku. Like that one flashback to the Saiyan Saga, the voice does not fit that design and context.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:05 pm

(apologies for double-posting)
Hmm

Since this forum has educated me on Goku(u)'s personality as a whole, I don't think Sean Schemmel really fits him. I don't get the naive or bumpkin vibe from him. He's too cool?
And I think the dialogue changes affect my view too
I don't think English Goku has ever said "Yo!" Not once. Like where is that why isn't there THAT yet
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:24 am

BeaBumby wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:05 pm
I don't think English Goku has ever said "Yo!" Not once. Like where is that why isn't there THAT yet
He says Yo to King Yemma in Dragon Ball Z Kai when asking about Raditz and Kami reprimands him he mustn’t address King Yemma with a yo.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:49 am

The Spanish/Intertrack dub voice will forever be my favorite.
Mario Castañeda was phenomenal.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:54 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:24 am
BeaBumby wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:05 pm
He says Yo to King Yemma in Dragon Ball Z Kai when asking about Raditz and Kami reprimands him he mustn’t address King Yemma with a yo.
did-
did you just KNOW that?? /lh
she/her yknow