Favorite Goku Voice?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Favorite Goku Voice?

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:12 pm

I'm positive this has been done before, but for the life of me I can't find an example (maybe I'm just lazy, idk)
This spreads over all countries and dubs, so feel free to express your favorite and why

Personally since I'm kinda new, I've definitely heard Mr. Schemmel the most, though I've taken quite a liking to Peter Kelamis' interpretation of the character. Corlett too
Last edited by BeaBumby on Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Favorite Goku Voice?

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:16 pm

The English VAs were good, but Masako-san is unsurpassable in my view.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:23 pm

Always Nozawa, in particular I like her adult interpretation of the character. Midway through the Freeza arc I feel she really found a consistent voice for a mature Goku. It's interesting to note than even though Goku has been an adult since the beginning of the 23rd TB, Nozawa's pitch and mannerisms still shift slightly from that arc to the Saiyan arc and from the Saiyan arc to the Freeza arc. It speaks to her talent how she's able to inject such nuance into the character.

Unfortunately, her performances nowadays aren't just as good. She's still able to make some powerful screams, which is very impressive, but that subtlety and nuance of a calmer and more mature Goku has vanished in favor of a more established and comfortable interpretation of the character. Nozawa stopped evolving in her portrayal of Goku, I feel. Though I suppose that's also the fault of the scriptwriters who aren't doing anything interesting with the character to be fair because there are moments in Super still where she can project some new emotions, such as when her tone shifted entirely to suit the more inconspicuous and stealthy mood of Goku's meeting with Freeza as well as his more dangerously playful attitude throughout the Zen Exhibition. Her talent still shines through in spades but I guess it's overshadowed by the fact that Goku is written mostly "by the numbers" nowadays.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:56 pm

Masako Nozawa is the best, the sincerity and innocence she brings to the role is unmatched. The fact she stepped into the role just as she was turning 50 and only a few years later had to do all those screams (which she still does quite well to this day) is no easy feat for any actor.

For English voices I like Sean Schemmel the most. Like Nozawa Schemmel can pull off that carefree, naivety that is central to Goku's charm, and knocks his screams out of the park.

The various Ocean cast voices all brought out something of merit in their performances.

Ian James Corlett had that soft spoken nature that worked for Goku in serious moments. Screams weren't great, but I can't blame the guy for not wanting to destroy his vocal chords when he wasn't being paid properly for them.

Peter Kelamis was the first we'd seen of the more childlike aspects of adult Goku in the dub, as his portrayal was more playful than Corlett's. His best work where he really felt like Nozawa was definitely in Pioneer movie 2.

Kirby Morrow was decent, good for the calm, collected Goku in the lead up to the Cell games. Screams had promise, but like a lot of things with the Westwood dub his performance was hampered by a rushed production schedule.

All these actors probably could have improved their work over the years with better direction, as Schemmel did, but given the circumstances I think they all did the best they could.

Jeremiah Yurk felt like an imitation of Kirby Morrow, not much to say there but wasn't as good.

Jeffrey Watson was too short lived to judge fully, but I appreciate that Blue Water were trying to go for a youthful sounding character.

Lex Lang was an odd choice. His work in some of the slice-of-life scenes were decent, but he often fell flat in action and serious moments.

David Gasman didn't work at all. Too deep, and lacks any energy or enthusiasm, but to his credit he did admit to not knowing anything about the role or the series and AB being in a hurry, so it's not his fault the performance turned out how it did.

For the kid Goku voices it's much of a muchness, all of them give that naive child vibe, but I'd rank them like this:

1. Barbara Goodson
2. Colleen Clinkenbeard
3. Saffron Henderson
4. Zoe Slusar
5. Stephanie Nadolny
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:57 pm

Stephanie Nadolny as kid Goku in DB/GT. There's something about her voice i love, the same goes for Gohan.
I could never like Colleen Clinkenbeard as either of them, i just can't.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:26 pm

Sean Schemmel’s take on the character is a mixture between something akin to Som Goku and Vegeta. Nozawa.

Kelamis is the best, even though the quality isn’t great. I really wish we could try get someone to actually play Goku’s character properly, and sound similar at the same time. I feel like the voice of Bart Simpson would maybe be able to do it? Voice of Timmy Turner? Maybe they could do the child versions at least.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:00 pm

Nozawa is a given. But for English-speaking Goku, I really like Ian Corlett. I realize that he was a bit too superhero-ish, but I liked his voice a lot. He sounded carefree and goofy when he needed, and he sounded like a strong badass when needed as well. He just brought a lot of confidence to Goku. Again, while Goku isn't meant to be this superhero character, Funimation's Goku always has been (in Z, anyway), so if he's gotta be portrayed as such, that's my pick.
"Listen, this is my home and these are my friends, so it doesn't matter what you say I am! And you sure don't act like any brother I'd wanna have. My name is Goku and I leave here! Now leave us alone!" And from Tree of Might: "I won't let the Earth be destroyed!" and "You planted this tree on our land? Well it's gotta go!"--he just delivered those lines with so much umph like Goku knew who he was and that he was about to wreck someone. I like that a lot.

Peter Kelamis was great because if Nozawa spoke perfect English, she'd sound most like Kelamis. But his portrayal was plagued. I felt that he sounded kind of surfery early in and then his role was just poorly directed.

I did like Kirby Morrow. I felt like he was this interesting blend of Kelamis and Corlett. I feel like he's the most underrated English-speaking Goku.

Now, for Schemmel--he's a bit grating. Hearing him just kind of annoys me. But, I feel like with enough time and maybe imagination, I can see him channeling Nozawa.

Saffron Henderson is incredible. I like her a lot for both Goku and Gohan.

Stephanie Nadolny was a lot better as Goku than Gohan.

Colleen Clickenbears, though probably the shortest tenure as Goku, was alright. She's not my favorite because I find the voice a bit annoying, but she's not horrible.

The Blue Water kid Goku was very good too--probably more of a favorite than the other kid Gokus (except Henderson).

Blue Water adult Gokus weren't bad either, kind of like Morrow.

Overall, Goku had way more voice actors than probably anyone else, but everyone's been great in their own way.

For me, top 5 I guess would be:
Nozawa
Corlett
Kelamis
And a toss-up between Morrow and Schemmel.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:04 pm

Sean Schemmel for sure. I always liked his voice for Goku, and these days he has the acting chops too. He can do innocent, mischievous, serious, furious, and heroic all equally well. And his screams are awesome.

Ian James Corlett is a close 2nd. He just sounded so natural and confident in the role from day 1. Even though his Goku is nothing like Nozawa, I don't care as he just makes the heroic portrayal work so well. Right from the getgo his Goku felt like this good natured guy I could get behind.

Peter Kelamis has grown on me over the years. I didn't like his Goku as a kid because he sounded so different to Ian, Sean, and Kirby. Since seeing the Pioneer movie trilogy and rewatching the Saban dub I've come to appreciate him a lot more. He really is the closest to sounding like Nozawa, and nails the goofy stuff like the standing in glue scene.

Kirby Morrow was actually pretty good in the role and stuck with it for a long time. As a kid I was glad when he took over, because he sounded closer to Ian and Sean's portrayals than Peter did. Still can't believe he's gone.

Nozawa is the original and most iconic, playing the character for 3 decades. She isn't my personal number 1, but if someone says she's the GOAT I can't really argue. She is the character after all.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:21 pm

Outside of Nozawa, it's definitely Kelamis for me. I love the sound of his voice, and the spirit of Goku that he taps into.

I also like Ceyli Delgadillo's performance. I like the cadence and how calm she can sound.

Aim wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:26 pm Maybe they could do the child versions at least.
They should try getting child actors for the roles instead.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:23 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:04 pm He really is the closest to sounding like Nozawa, and nails the goofy stuff like the standing in glue scene.
I would like for you to show me the glue thing cuz I got no idea what yer talkin about but it sounds funny
Last edited by BeaBumby on Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:00 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:23 pm
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:04 pm He really is the closest to sounding like Nozawa, and nails the goofy stuff like the standing in glue scene.
I would like for you to show me the glue thing cuz I got no idea what yer talkin about cuz it sounds funny
Arenwe talking about the scene where he breaks from the ice/whatever with his Kaio-ken in DBZ movie 2? That's everyone's go-to "OMG he sounds like Nozawa!" scene.

https://youtu.be/RuViG2-w_To
At 1:48.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:29 pm

Schemmel gets across every part of Goku's character perfectly, though I think in the Super era he's leaned too much on annoying like Kelamis used too. I always enjoyed Stephanie Nadolny as Kid Goku - she got his quirkiness just right.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:33 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:00 pm Arenwe talking about the scene where he breaks from the ice/whatever with his Kaio-ken in DBZ movie 2? That's everyone's go-to "OMG he sounds like Nozawa!" scene.

https://youtu.be/RuViG2-w_To
At 1:48.
No, I think they are referring to when Goku is stuck in the glue outside the spaceship on the way to Namek.

As for that Kaio-ken scene above, I never really made that connection between Kelamis and Nozawa's performance. That's not what makes Kelamis' Goku so special. For me, it's his unique energy and his delivery that makes the performance so memorable, and what captures the spirit of the original.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:49 am

For Adult Goku, it goes something like this for me. This is subject to change, but this is how I feel currently:

1. Masako Nozawa: Until GT last year, the only Dragon Ball show where I had watched the entirety subbed was Super. I've caught snippets on YouTube from Dragon Ball and Z of the sub, but am only just now making my way through the entire original anime subbed (about to begin the Tenshinhan arc). As someone who was introduced to Goku through Schemmel and later Corlett, I remember several years ago learning that Kid and Adult Goku were voiced by a woman. When I first heard Nowaza's voice paired with Adult Goku, I was not a fan and immediately dismissed it as ridiculous. However, over the years as I've become more "educated" (trying not to make this sound pretentious, but oh well if it does) I slowly developed an appreciation for Nowaza, when then turned into absolute admiration. And the thing is, the woman has range. Kid Goku still sounds noticeably more "baby-ish" than Adult Goku, while maintaining the same naive, carefree spirit at the core. There are so many moments, from any Kamehameha to the feral scream during the first SSJ transformation, down to the deeper voice she used for SSJ4 Goku. Over time I've come to view Goku as synonomous with Nozawa's legendary performance.

2. Peter Kelamis DBZ Movie 2 is my favorite DBZ movie, and it features my favorite English Goku performance in the uncut Pioneer dub. I almost put him at number 3 until I re-watched this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuViG2-w_To. Easily the closest thing to an English Nozawa for Adult Goku, and maybe Goku in general, from the fighting grunts to the yells, to just the general delivery matching Goku's childlike persona.

3. Ian James Corlett: I saw a lot of the Boo and Cell arcs before I saw the early Ocean episodes on Toonami, so I heard Schemmel first. At the time, for some reason I couldn't tell a difference, but now I can clearly hear it. Make no mistake of it; Corlett's Goku is every bit Superman-Goku to go along with the Americanized dub. Due to the direction and script, he also isn't really a naive hick, although he possesses the same undying spirit and earnestness. But the delivery and conviction in his voice is so good that, despite understanding how Goku's character was always intended by Toriyama, I'll always have a soft spot for this Goku. Corlett sounds every bit the lead character, and is great for Goku's serious side. However, he can be quite funny too, like when he's telling King Kai jokes. His delivery during the Kamehameha vs Gallick Gun struggle still stands out to me, as well as all the moments where he's racing down Snake Way to rescue his son and friends against the Saiyans.

4. Sean Schemmel: I'm factoring in everything here, from his early inexperienced performance, to his steadily improving by the Boo arc, then in the Remastered dub, and then to where he is now in Kai and Super. His screams have been pretty incredible for awhile, and his vocal delivery for Goku at different moments has improved a lot as well. Like Nozawa, he noticeably changes his pitch with certain transformations, or when Goku is serious in general. He's by far the one I'm most accustomed to hearing, and his improvement has been phenomenal. That said, I do find his voice occasionally irritating at moments in Super, but I think that's because Goku is irritating in Super.

5. Kirby Morrow: he's the one I've heard the least, although he was definitely good with a similar delivery to Kelamis. I listened to a snippet of his SSJ3 voice, and I love how much deeper he made it. Definitely a big talent, and it's a shame we'll never hear him voice Goku again.

As for Kid Goku:

1. Again Nozawa. She perfectly captures the character as Toriyama wrote him, and just makes him so adorably dumb and lovable at the same time, while also successfully conveying that he is anything but a normal boy.

2. Saffron Henderson: Saffron is my favorite Kid Gohan voice, and I recently re-visited her performance during the first 13 episodes of the BLT dub as Kid Goku. Despite the script changes and Goku sounding more "polite" than originally written, I felt she still captured his innocence very well. I wish she could have voiced him longer.

3. Stephanie Nadolny: The first Kid Goku voice I ever heard when watching Dragon Ball on Toonami back in 2001 (?). I don't hold it in as high regard as I used to, but I still am a fan. It's a bit obnoxious for my tastes now, but I still think she captured Goku's voice very well and still made him very likable. And when he was angry she was very good. I'd like to hear what she'd have sounded like reading a more accurate script. Overall, her voice works a million times better for Kid Goku than Kid Gohan.

4. Colleen Clinkenbeard: I'm a fan of her Kid Gohan, but Kid Goku not as much. Although what I've heard of it in games like FighterZ, I don't mind so much.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:06 am

Sean 100%, he captures the personality perfectly and he is very similar to latin american Goku, Mario Castañeda who I grew up with and is in my opinion the perfect voice for Goku.
An old lady voicing a grown man will always be a no for me

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:42 am

MyVisionity wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:21 pm Outside of Nozawa, it's definitely Kelamis for me. I love the sound of his voice, and the spirit of Goku that he taps into.

I also like Ceyli Delgadillo's performance. I like the cadence and how calm she can sound.

Aim wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:26 pm Maybe they could do the child versions at least.
They should try getting child actors for the roles instead.
I don’t think children can summon that same vibe and sound that say an adult could.

Either way, yeah, Kelamis is the best Son Goku, if I were to make a dub though I’d get new people for almost every role, after seeing that Japanese guy sound exactly like Nozawa I’m convinced we can get a true English Goku that can tap both into the spirit and sound.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:45 am

dva_raza wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:06 am Sean 100%, he captures the personality perfectly and he is very similar to latin american Goku, Mario Castañeda who I grew up with and is in my opinion the perfect voice for Goku.
Ah, I was waiting for someone to do this.

People like you aren’t very good at media analysis, it shows because the only criticisms you have is “this sounds foreign to me thus it’s wrong” and “a WOMAN voices my maculine manly man character?! Unacceptable!”.

Anyways you’re titled to your opinion, I’ve been waiting to point out these kind of arguments from the fandom are stupid.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:55 am

I won't fault anyone if Nozawa's voice for Goku isn't to their tastes. After all, we can't necessarily control what we like or dislike. That said, I wonder if this take is based on an immediate reaction to hearing the voice matched with adult Goku, or just a listen here and there, or if the person has actually listened actively to Nozawa's delivery of her lines and considered it in conjunction with Goku's character. I say this because I had this response when I was younger, yet I grew to love Nozawa over time.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:30 am

Aim wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:45 am
dva_raza wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:06 am Sean 100%, he captures the personality perfectly and he is very similar to latin american Goku, Mario Castañeda who I grew up with and is in my opinion the perfect voice for Goku.
Ah, I was waiting for someone to do this.

People like you aren’t very good at media analysis, it shows because the only criticisms you have is “this sounds foreign to me thus it’s wrong” and
Lol I'm not very good at media analysis because I don't feel a woman voicing a man is suiting?..what?
What "analysis" did I miss?

"a WOMAN voices my maculine manly man character?! Unacceptable"

First of all, Goku is anything but "manly", neither are Sean's and Mario's voices. Which is why they suit him perfectly.
Secondly, I never said it was " unnaceptable", but that it's a no "for me", if comparing to a voice that actually suits Goku considering basic elements about the character as..again..him being a grown man.
Women voice kids constantly, almost every boy in the series is voiced by a woman in Mexico at least and that's great because it's suits. When the guy is grown, it doesn't.
Anyways you’re titled to your opinion, I’ve been waiting to point out these kind of arguments from the fandom are stupid

Oh you've been waiting? So go ahead, exactly what is stupid about my argument? I didn't see any argument from you, you just calling my opinion stupid doesn't really count as such.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:33 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:55 am I won't fault anyone if Nozawa's voice for Goku isn't to their tastes. After all, we can't necessarily control what we like or dislike. That said, I wonder if this take is based on an immediate reaction to hearing the voice matched with adult Goku, or just a listen here and there, or if the person has actually listened actively to Nozawa's delivery of her lines and considered it in conjunction with Goku's character. I say this because I had this response when I was younger, yet I grew to love Nozawa over time.
Well I saw the whole series in Japanese.

I don't care about her delivery, her delivery can be perfect and that won't change the fact that physically her voice doesn't suit