When do you think DBS made Goku too stupid?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: When do you think DBS made Goku too stupid?

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:44 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:39 pm
Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:44 am
ABED wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:32 pm How was it out of character?
In the very first episode of DBZ we see him gathering firewood by...punching down a tree. He didn't sit there whinging endlessly about how he didn't want to do it, he just did it, but in true "Goku" fashion. That's his character.

Or apparently not. Maybe Goku being a dumbass is now canon.
It's like giving someone a list of chores they may need to do around the house and they'll goan about doing that, but witll spent hours and hour doing mundane things to grind out in a video game, or make sure they've don literaly everything in a 200 hour game.
I don't get the analogy.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:39 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:44 pm
Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:39 pm
Cursed Lemon wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:44 am

In the very first episode of DBZ we see him gathering firewood by...punching down a tree. He didn't sit there whinging endlessly about how he didn't want to do it, he just did it, but in true "Goku" fashion. That's his character.

Or apparently not. Maybe Goku being a dumbass is now canon.
It's like giving someone a list of chores they may need to do around the house and they'll goan about doing that, but witll spent hours and hour doing mundane things to grind out in a video game, or make sure they've don literaly everything in a 200 hour game.
I don't get the analogy.
Ever play No More Heroes?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:15 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:39 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:44 pm
Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:39 pm It's like giving someone a list of chores they may need to do around the house and they'll goan about doing that, but witll spent hours and hour doing mundane things to grind out in a video game, or make sure they've don literaly everything in a 200 hour game.
I don't get the analogy.
No, but I get playing games for hours, but I don't see how that applies to this situation.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:49 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:15 pm
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:44 pm I don't get the analogy.
No, but I get playing games for hours, but I don't see how that applies to this situation.
Large majority of gamers with have no problem following a large and every growing list of objectives in a video.

Go here and kill six of _____/gather twelve of _________/talk to __________/ open ten of __________

But ask them to do household chores like do dishes or take out the trash and they moan and groan.

What makes the Goku situation even worse is that harvesting veggies used to be training.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:09 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:49 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:15 pm

Large majority of gamers with have no problem following a large and every growing list of objectives in a video.

Go here and kill six of _____/gather twelve of _________/talk to __________/ open ten of __________

But ask them to do household chores like do dishes or take out the trash and they moan and groan.

What makes the Goku situation even worse is that harvesting veggies used to be training.
Even this isn't stupidity. It's just finding one task more boring and tedious than the other. Sometimes when you really don't want to do something, you can inadvertently make the task more difficult than it needs to be. Irrationality doesn't have to equal stupidity.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:21 pm

ANd it's not stupid. One is a task he does for survival and he can turn into a training exercise. The other is a job he doesn't need. it's not irrational, and it doesn't make him stupid. It's a dumb joke because Goku doesn't need a job.

I enjoy learning, but I hated school even though it was the same task. Turning something you enjoy into an obligation can easily turn something that used to be fun into something tedious.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:36 pm

ABED wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:21 pm ANd it's not stupid. One is a task he does for survival and he can turn into a training exercise. The other is a job he doesn't need. it's not irrational, and it doesn't make him stupid. It's a dumb joke because Goku doesn't need a job.

I enjoy learning, but I hated school even though it was the same task. Turning something you enjoy into an obligation can easily turn something that used to be fun into something tedious.
I just meant irrational according to the people who say Goku could have used his abilities to make the job easier. But since it's a dumb gag, I personally don't take it that literally. Showing him using equipment is more effective on showing that it's a job that he doesn't want to do. For its intended purpose, I agree that it doesn't make him irrational or stupid.

Another thing one could argue (incorrectly) is stupid is Krillin in movie 1 running to retrieve Gohan instead of flying. But no one does this because it's clearly just meant for gag purposes. I'm not sure why that job scene in Super would have to be held to a different standard when it's also meant comically.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:10 am

100 percent agree. I see comments on here that don't take the scene for what it is and use it to judge Goku. Oh no, his tractor fell off a cliff. He's a terrible farmer.

Ironixie

Post by Ironixie » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:58 am

The only real upset I had with him is that he couldn't understand the concept of kissing, sometimes Goku seems more alien than Vegeta is, even though Goku's the one raised on Earth. Goku's always been an absent-minded person, but he's never been outright dumb like this.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:34 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:42 am I find the "doesn't know what kissing" thing to be silly in a bad way because I, for one, would like to marry Gokuu and that character beat is just kind of a turn off. 😆
You'd want to deal with a childish, irresponsible, selfish, careless, ignorant, overconfident, idiotic martial arts fuckboy who is not only an absentee father, but would stake the existence of all twelve universes, INCLUDING OURS AND HIS, just to have a good fight for the rest of your life?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:08 pm

My gripe with the kiss thing is that it is not funny, like at all.

I know humour is subjective and all, but by God, there must be a line drawn somewhere. I'm offended not as a reader but as a comediant.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:11 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:08 pm My gripe with the kiss thing is that it is not funny, like at all.

I know humour is subjective and all, but by God, there must be a line drawn somewhere. I'm offended not as a reader but as a comediant.
Lol yeah that scene seems to be regarded as unnecessary by the majority

Although as far as I understood the meaning wasn't defined, was it ever confirmed that Goku was in fact talking about kissing and not simply that way of feeding a senzu?
I don't remember what was the exact dialogue in Japanese

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:12 pm

dva_raza wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:11 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:08 pm My gripe with the kiss thing is that it is not funny, like at all.

Lol yeah that scene seems to be regarded as unnecessary by the majority

Although as far as I understood the meaning wasn't defined, was it ever confirmed that Goku was in fact talking about kissing and not simply that way of feeding a senzu?
I don't remember what was the exact dialogue in Japanese
I think it was confirmed, yes,

I'd rather have that scene be played out as serious instead of for laughs... nothing is sadder to me than somebody trying to be funny when they.are.not.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:12 pm

Goku being a married guy with two sons not know what a kiss is was the last straw. It's not funny, just stupid and unnecessary.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:09 pm

Unpopular opinion: people place way too much on an innocuous joke.