Is GT worth watching?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Is GT worth watching?

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:53 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:47 am You can't, because as you acknowledged, there is a reference to the Tournament of Power and "great enemies" Goku fought against in that arc, like Jiren, Kefla, and Ribrianne. Someone who hasn't watched the Super anime would not understand what Goku is talking about. The movie is made with the idea that people caught up to the last arc of Super prior to that movie (the Tournament of Power arc), and the same will happen with the upcoming movie. If you haven't watched the Broly movie, you won't understand who is the guy sparring with Goku in some scenes of Super Hero.
Considering how many fans started with "Z" and advocate for other people both doing that and not bothering with the original series at all...

... I dunno, that just seems like a pretty relevant comparison/correlation? "Who's that bald guy and the green guy and literally everyone else?"

The secret of these series is that they're loaded with historical story baggage and simultaneously made with clear arc divisions allowing for new blood to jump in as fans at regular intervals, because you can't just keep selling the same thing to the same, ever-dwindling group of existing fans.

Anyway, watch GT if you have the time, own it, and want to watch it. I would recommend a million other things before watching GT, but I would also recommend a million other things before watching Super, too.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:59 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:47 am

You can't, because as you acknowledged, there is a reference to the Tournament of Power and "great enemies" Goku fought against in that arc, like Jiren, Kefla, and Ribrianne. Someone who hasn't watched the Super anime would not understand what Goku is talking about. You also wouldn't understand how Frieza can be alive when he was disintegrated by Goku at the end of RoF. The movie is made with the idea that people caught up to the last arc of Super prior to that movie (the Tournament of Power arc), and the same will happen with the upcoming movie. If you haven't watched the Broly movie, you won't understand who is the guy sparring with Goku in some scenes of Super Hero (Broly).
A tournament that was mentioned in passing and has jack all to do with the events of the movie. Jiren, Ribrianne, Dyspo, Toppo none of those characters actually appear in the movie. Never mind that the Broly movie came to the US before the Tournament of Power aired on Toonami.

And people aren’t morons. Oh Freeza is alive somehow? Oh okay he came back to life somehow. Cool. It’s not rocket science.

So as I said at the beginning, if you want to get caught up with the current storyline as quick as possible, in anticipation for the upcoming movie, then watching GT is pointless.
But not everyone revolves around Dragon Ball Super. It’s almost like the OP asked about Dragon Ball GT. Weird huh?

And I suspect that's why the online Anime Filler List marks the entire series as "filler" :think:
Those anime filler list are pretty stupid but I’m not sure why they support the argument you think you’re making.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:15 pm

yknow I didn't even bring up Super right? I don't really need to watch Super (or GT, really.) I already know the general story, but people debating anyway whether I should watch a completely different show first and you guys (well it's mainly just one guy) ignoring what my whole post was about is--

well it's just rude.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:32 pm

Give it a shot if you have the time. I will always say that the idea of the story is much more exciting than the execution. But at the end of the day, it's Dragon Ball. I was always able to kind of blend everything together and enjoy it because I'm a fan of Dragon Ball. It's also cool to see the characters in a more urban setting in regular clothes (well, except for Goku) and leading pretty normal lives. That aspect of "life goes on" (as I like to describe it) always attracted me to GT.

If you're not having fun with it, I would say to skip ahead to episode 16 (or whatever) because the story takes a sharp left turn (kind of like how DB did after episode 13). If you're still not having fun with it, skip to the next arc. All in all, you don't have to do anything, but maybe you'll find something you enjoy if you turn over enough of GT's stones.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:42 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:15 pm yknow I didn't even bring up Super right? I don't really need to watch Super (or GT, really.) I already know the general story, but people debating anyway whether I should watch a completely different show first and you guys (well it's mainly just one guy) ignoring what my whole post was about is--

well it's just rude.
Since you mentioned being a Nadolny Goku fan I would at least check out GT based solely on her being Goku for the entire series.

People will tell you it’s an awful dub but meh I take it you watched all of the original Dragon Ball’s dub so you should be fine.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:47 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:15 pm yknow I didn't even bring up Super right? I don't really need to watch Super (or GT, really.) I already know the general story, but people debating anyway whether I should watch a completely different show first and you guys (well it's mainly just one guy) ignoring what my whole post was about is--

well it's just rude.
Ok, I think it's funny you have a profile pic of GT Goku :lol: :lol:

So, it's probably better if you don't skip the first 15 episodes if you want to see THAT Goku. After that, it's pretty much just SS4.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:04 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:42 pm

well it's just rude.
Since you mentioned being a Nadolny Goku fan I would at least check out GT based solely on her being Goku for the entire series.

People will tell you it’s an awful dub but meh I take it you watched all of the original Dragon Ball’s dub so you should be fine.
I did, heheh. I take it the general consensus is the Funi DB dub ain't great?
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:10 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:04 pm

well it's just rude.

The Funimation dub of the original Dragon Ball is in that weird middle ground of being considered better than its contemporaries (Z and GT) but nowhere near as good as Kai owards. The main point in its favor was leaving the original Japanese music alone (which has now been an option for Z and GT since 2007/2008) it still had a bunch of unnecessary rewrites and punch up humor. There’s also the acting but that’s fairly subjective anyways. If you enjoyed Dragon Ball’s dub I don’t think GT’s dub is going to do anything to offend you.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:10 pm
BeaBumby wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:04 pm

The Funimation dub of the original Dragon Ball is in that weird middle ground of being considered better than its contemporaries (Z and GT) but nowhere near as good as Kai owards. The main point in its favor was leaving the original Japanese music alone (which has now been an option for Z and GT since 2007/2008) it still had a bunch of unnecessary rewrites and punch up humor. There’s also the acting but that’s fairly subjective anyways. If you enjoyed Dragon Ball’s dub I don’t think GT’s dub is going to do anything to offend you.
Would you say Ms. Nadolny's performance as Goku is better or worse in GT compared to OG DB?
she/her yknow

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:17 pm

Independent of the actual voice cast, it's worth noting that the FUNimation DBGT dub script is perhaps even more wildly inaccurate than Z's was -- to the degree that Goku was changed in Z, he's even more unrecognizable in the GT dub.

As with everything from an administrative perspective here on Kanzenshuu, we of course advocate consuming the series in its original language to the best possible extent. Thankfully, FUNimation's DVDs all have wonderful subtitle tracks accompanying the Japanese language audio track.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:24 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:17 pm to the degree that Goku was changed in Z, he's even more unrecognizable in the GT dub.
Could you please elaborate?
she/her yknow

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:26 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:17 pm Independent of the actual voice cast, it's worth noting that the FUNimation DBGT dub script is perhaps even more wildly inaccurate than Z's was -- to the degree that Goku was changed in Z, he's even more unrecognizable in the GT dub.
Goku is annoyingly preachy in the Funimation GT dub. It's like "hope of the universe" turned up to 11 with things like telling his friends about what it means to be a good person or saying "light breaks the darkness" to Baby. I really don't see what the point was in all these additions, it's not only cheesy but also jarring and forced.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:43 pm

Gotcha.

Well in that case I could watch the Blue Water dub if I'd like. The Goku voice is pretty similar and the script is way more accurate, (or so I've heard) so I assume that means the characterisation is wayyyy better
she/her yknow

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:51 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:43 pm Gotcha.

Well in that case I could watch the Blue Water dub if I'd like. The Goku voice is pretty similar and the script is way more accurate, (or so I've heard) so I assume that means the characterisation is wayyyy better
The Blue Water scripts are overall way more accurate. So if you’re fine with the voice acting go for it.

And of course there’s always the Japanese version but if you’re a dubs all the way kind of gal nobody can really insist it on you.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:51 pm

The Blue Water scripts are overall way more accurate. So if you’re fine with the voice acting go for it.

And of course there’s always the Japanese version but if you’re a dubs all the way kind of gal nobody can really insist it on you.
Yeah I kinda am. But tbh I see myself watching dbz subbed at least once in my life. But for now dubbed is the most convenient, at least for me
she/her yknow

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:02 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:54 pmSo in the chance I finish, should I move onto GT?
Yeah, go for it. The first saga is boring but if you manage to get through it, you'll be treated with Baby saga, which is very good. You can stop there and finish it by watching its TV Special and call it a day. If not, then comes Super 17 saga which is a bit shitty but since there aren't even ten episodes making up that saga, it's almost harmless. You can get through it pretty quickly. And then comes the Shadow Dragon, really good idea to end the series, making the Dragon Balls the enemies. The problem is its the execution. And the fact that only Goku gets to do something, when other characters could (and should) have contributed a lot more. It's still a good saga, at the end of the day.
BeaBumby wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:15 pmI don't really need to watch Super (or GT, really.) I already know the general story,
Indeed you don't, just go play or at least read Dragon Ball Online if you haven't already and know nothing about it. It's the actual sequel of the manga (and, sufice to say, better than Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Super). It provides a nice epilogue for almost everyone and it's really fun in general.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:29 pm

If you've ever heard the late Kirby Morrow in the Westwood Z dub you'll have an idea what to expect. The Blue Water actor sounds a bit like him.

The scripts are more accurate than Funimation's dub. There's some added jokes here and there like "if you really wanted to land a hit you should join a boyband" and "bring it on momma's boy", but I'd take them over the pretensions Funimation gave Goku in their GT dub.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:52 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:29 pm

If you've ever heard the late Kirby Morrow in the Westwood Z dub you'll have an idea what to expect. The Blue Water actor sounds a bit like him.

The scripts are more accurate than Funimation's dub. There's some added jokes here and there like "if you really wanted to land a hit you should join a boyband" and "bring it on momma's boy", but I'd take them over the pretensions Funimation gave Goku in their GT dub.
lucky me cuz that's hilarious
she/her yknow

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:29 pm

If you're a Dragon Ball fan, I'd say GT is worth watching at least once. I'd recommend watching the sub with the OG Japanese score/soundtrack, because without it the show lacks soul. Or as I saw you mention above, maybe the Blue Water dub which I've heard is good.

I watched it last year with a bit of a different mindset I had before. Years ago I had caught a few episodes on Toonami with the English dub and replacement score, on the tail-end of the first arc, and I thought it was awful. Over the years I had no interest in watching it. However last year, I got a sudden urge to watch the show, especially with all the constant Super content. I was curious to see the show that essentially functioned as an end to Goku's journey.

There are a lot of misfires, but I love a lot of the concepts, the performances, the music, and the ending itself plus the Hero's Legacy special. It's a welcome part of the Dragon Ball anime pantheon to me. I like it substantially less than OG DB and Z, but about even/slightly more than Super.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:21 pm

(heyhey 50th post, congrats to Ms. Bea!)

Well I just listened to the BW GT opening, freakin amazing, the vocal work is stellar. Nice n pleasant ´v`
she/her yknow