Is GT worth watching?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Is GT worth watching?

Post by Grimlock » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:52 pm

Is this thread about whether or not is worth watching Dragon Ball GT or just yet another thread about English dub? The "opening post" says nothing regarding the latter but proceeds to mostly talk about it in the subsequent posts. What's the real subject here? What do you really seek out of this thread?
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:00 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:52 pm Is this thread about whether or not is worth watching Dragon Ball GT or just yet another thread about English dub? The "opening post" says nothing regarding the latter but proceeds to mostly talk about it in the subsequent posts. What's the real subject here? What do you really seek out of this thread?
In what world does asking about a series mean someone can't also ask about an English dub?
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:07 pm

In a world where the person doesn't make a single reply to the good arguments made in this thread. It renders all the posts kind of useless. I doubt they would come here if they knew this is seemingly a thread more about the English dub.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:24 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:52 pm Is this thread about whether or not is worth watching Dragon Ball GT or just yet another thread about English dub? The "opening post" says nothing regarding the latter but proceeds to mostly talk about it in the subsequent posts. What's the real subject here? What do you really seek out of this thread?
She wanted to know if GT was worth watching. Since she prefers English dubs discussions about it’s different dubs are going to come up. Topics are allowed to have different components to them. 🤦

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:28 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:07 pm In a world where the person doesn't make a single reply to the good arguments made in this thread. It renders all the posts kind of useless. I doubt they would come here if they knew this is seemingly a thread more about the English dub.
Still don't understand what point you're making or how it's any more relevant to the Op's original question than talk about English GT dubs, but OK.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:52 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:24 pm
She wanted to know if GT was worth watching. Since she prefers English dubs discussions about it’s different dubs are going to come up. Topics are allowed to have different components to them. 🤦
Yeah, the subjects of watching GT and it's English dub are kind of inseparable. It doesn't help the most widely available English dub is the one that was changed to the point of being a completely different show (i.e Funimation's dub). With this in mind it's easy for someone to come across Funi GT, get a completely incorrect perception of what the show is and be turned off. So it's relevant because unless the OP is informed she won't be getting the experience she wants, which is of course seeing GT as true as possible to its original vision. Of course watching the Japanese is the best way to get this, but otherwise the Blue Water dub is a solid alternative that gets the main points of GT across.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:56 pm

Awww you guys are so kind!~ /gen

Anyhoo, thank you all for helping me out here! Really didn't even consider the Blue Water dub before this. ´:]
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:39 pm

wait one last thing! is the hero's legacy blue water dub equally as accurate?
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:30 am

Unfortunately, it is not just worth watching, it is pretty much essential viewing at least 1 time. Is it horrible? Yes! Is it interesting and essential for general franchise knowledge? Also yes. It's worth a watch for sure. Interesting concepts and ideas, Super Saiyan 4 is awesome and arguably the best transformation in the entire franchise. Baby Arc is pretty good, but the other 3 arcs are a slog.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:38 am

Majin Man 101 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:30 am Unfortunately, it is not just worth watching, it is pretty much essential viewing at least 1 time. Is it horrible? Yes! Is it interesting and essential for general franchise knowledge? Also yes. It's worth a watch for sure. Interesting concepts and ideas, Super Saiyan 4 is awesome and arguably the best transformation in the entire franchise. Baby Arc is pretty good, but the other 3 arcs are a slog.
Well I've seen quite a bit of it by now, and I'd say it's a pretty enjoyable show on its own merits.
I enjoy the return of Kid Goku, I enjoy Pan as a character, and I enjoy the trio's interactions with one another.
It's quite fun to me, so it's worth watching to me

I don't mean to sound so rude, it's just you stated your opinion firmly as fact
she/her yknow

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:00 am

BeaBumby wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:38 am
Majin Man 101 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:30 am Unfortunately, it is not just worth watching, it is pretty much essential viewing at least 1 time. Is it horrible? Yes! Is it interesting and essential for general franchise knowledge? Also yes. It's worth a watch for sure. Interesting concepts and ideas, Super Saiyan 4 is awesome and arguably the best transformation in the entire franchise. Baby Arc is pretty good, but the other 3 arcs are a slog.
Well I've seen quite a bit of it by now, and I'd say it's a pretty enjoyable show on its own merits.
I enjoy the return of Kid Goku, I enjoy Pan as a character, and I enjoy the trio's interactions with one another.
It's quite fun to me, so it's worth watching to me

I don't mean to sound so rude, it's just you stated your opinion firmly as fact
I am super glad that you are enjoying the series! I enjoy it as well even though I find many faults with it. Keep me updated on your watch through and let me know what you think!

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:31 am

No, it is not worth watching. 90% of GT is trash.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:00 am

Yes, it is worth watching. 90% of GT is fun.

It's an ironic post, but I genuinely like GT and hate how people try to present their opinions as facts. And sadly it's always the hating ones are the loudest too.

Besides, I thought Kanzenshuu is a place for more detailed posts and not nonsensical one-liners.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:55 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:00 am Yes, it is worth watching. 90% of GT is fun.

It's an ironic post, but I genuinely like GT and hate how people try to present their opinions as facts. And sadly it's always the hating ones are the loudest too.

Besides, I thought Kanzenshuu is a place for more detailed posts and not nonsensical one-liners.
Agreed.there is much nuance to GT and it deserves fan love and attention despite its flaws.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:09 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:00 am Yes, it is worth watching. 90% of GT is fun.

Good that you found some enjoyment out of it but for me watching through the first 15 episodes was genuinely painful. I know it gets better but those episodes left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I was not prepared. :(
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:18 pm

I never really liked GT that much, it has some nice ideas, but it usually fails to deliver. I'm not saying that Super is perfect, on the contrary, the anime had a metric shitload of fillers, and I got asleep countless times reading the manga of the Granolah arc, but I still prefer Super to GT.

Either way, I look forward to Mistarefusion's dissection of GT, I'm sure they're going to have a field day with all the plot holes and all the inconsistencies.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:06 pm

Super at least feels like Dragon Ball. GT just feels like a bad Saturaday morning cartoon.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:12 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:09 pm

Good that you found some enjoyment out of it but for me watching through the first 15 episodes was genuinely painful. I know it gets better but those episodes left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I was not prepared. :(

I actually agree with you more than you may think. The first 2 episodes are solid. The rest of the black Star DB arc is awful. The baby arc is solid but the ending to it is weak. And then the Super 17 and shadow dragon arc are painful to watch too. In fact I would say the shadow dragon arc had the ultimate idea for the most epic ending ever and then FUBARED IT ALL up by making some of the shadow dragons a joke, and the storytelling there was pretty lackluster to what it could have been.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:54 pm

Yeah, there are some good elements to it. Pan, well, people either hate her or tolerate her. SS 4 is the big transformation (and its awesome).

The Baby Arc is the best all around, but still has some downsides. As a whole, its not as good as Z, and depending on whom you ask, not as good as Super either. But with some tweaking, the first two arcs at least would become incredible additions to the overall franchise. The other two, good ideas on paper. Bad execution.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:31 am

While GT has some story issues, the presentation and the handling of the characters makes it worth a watch.

Instead of a focus on memberberries and new power ups that quickly feel useless like Super does it focusses on new places, aging and progressing the different characters, which I appreciate.