Is GT worth watching?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MyVisionity
Banned

Re: Is GT worth watching?

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:52 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:17 pm But why the hell would anyone watch 15 whole ass episodes they don’t like just because the second arc might be better.
Because to get to the second arc, you have to get through the first arc. It's still all part of the same story. You miss out on that part of the story by skipping it. Not everything is about quality or whether you like/dislike something. It can be bad or hated, but you push through anyway, because that's what storytelling is. A journey.

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:17 pm This is gonna blow your mind but Dragon Ball was made at a time when audiences weren’t expected to see literally every single episode. The whole idea of needing to watch a show from the very beginning to the end really didn’t kick off until streaming services started doing their own content. Back then it wasn’t unheard of for people to jump into a show and try to catch up later if possible.

Also disrespectful to the show itself? It’s a cartoon, not a person.
Just because a show is more accessible does not mean that it's unimportant to watch from beginning to end. Of course you don't *have* to see every single episode to follow along, but it's an incomplete experience without it. Despite any expectations, the show was still constructed to be a complete story as they went along, regardless of whether everyone in the audience was caught up or not.

Now that the series actually is available on home video and streaming, there's no longer an excuse.

You can disrespect things that are not people, like cartoons or anything else, by not doing right by them. Aside from that, even though the show is not a person, it is still made by people.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:27 pm

Now that the series actually is available on home video and streaming, there's no longer an excuse.

You can disrespect things that are not people, like cartoons or anything else, by not doing right by them. Aside from that, even though the show is not a person, it is still made by people.
For me, the extreme low quality of the series is the "excuse" (not that I need one). It's almost anti-entertainment for me in that a lot of the time I'm watching it, I'd rather be doing nothing. I'm sorry to the people who worked on it, but that's the way it is for me.

Regarding shows and people... I am a person too. I'm not going to spend my limited time watching something I don't want to watch out of some confused show of respect for people I've never met and will never meet.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:30 pm

You don't have a duty to watch everything. Watch as little as you want or skip ahead. I generally don't, but I also don't waste my time these days. I give shows an episode or two to sample and see if I want to go forward. Even if a series takes time to find its footing (e.g. for me it was shows like Buffy and The Office), you can still get a good feel for if it's for you or not. Too bad that recap episode FUNi made when they skipped ahead isn't easy to find. That's a good way to skip the early adventures if they aren't your thing.

While I'm inclined to agree with Masenko, DB, even GT is very serialized, making it harder to just pick up the series from anywhere. That said, if you want to know what happened in the prior episodes you don't want to watch but feel might be important, that's what the internet is for - to look up information. There are plenty of places with synopses.

Yes, storytelling is a journey but it's supposed to be a pleasurable journey.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:36 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:30 pm
While I'm inclined to agree with Masenko, DB, even GT is very serialized, making it harder to just pick up the series from anywhere. That said, if you want to know what happened in the prior episodes you don't want to watch but feel might be important, that's what the internet is for - to look up information. There are plenty of places with synopses.

Yes, storytelling is a journey but it's supposed to be a pleasurable journey.
To clarify, my main point was that the first arc of GT and Dragon Ball aren’t really indicative of either series as a whole and perhaps it’s best to sample a later arc if (and only IF) you’re not feeling the first arc after a couple episodes.

I’m not saying go out and say start with episode 14 of Dragon Ball but I am saying “if you watched the first few episodes of the original Dragon Ball and you weren’t feeling it at least check out the second arc for a few episodes before writing it off” and the same with GT and it’s first few episodes.

The show is serialized but is not like everyone literally started with say the first episode of Dragon Ball Z. I imagine most of us walked into a random episode and got hooked and eventually made a point to watch the whole thing. If someone doesn’t like the first few episodes of GT, skips ahead to the second arc and enjoys it they might be more receptive to give the first arc a second try since they’re all around more positive towards GT.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:41 pm

That's fair enough

Funnily enough, the very first episode of DBZ that aired in the states is the episode that I caught by sheer luck. The only reason I stopped to watch is because I knew the name Goku bc I lived in Japan for a few years.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:53 pm

I mean, sure, might as well check it out once, right? It's only 64 episodes (though to be fair I'm using "only" in the context of Dragon Ball here), so giving at lookthrough shouldn't be too hard. As other people have pointed out, the beginning of GT doesn't fully represent the rest of GT, so the classic "3 episode rule" mindset won't work properly. I think the best way to gauge if it's interesting is to "skim through" it by using fast forward or in-episode skipping, and then seeing if anything grabs your attention. If you feel like nothing ever does, then just quit watching, there's no shame in doing that.
Personally I've watched through all of GT exactly once and don't feel like watching through it again. (This is also how I feel about the Super anime, and it contrasts with how I feel about DB, DBZ and Kai.) So that's my stance on it. But you should try to not base your opinion on other people's opinions.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:17 pm

If someone really feels a need to skip anything, i think watching each episode recap is a bare minimum. This way you'll at least have an idea what was happening at that time and it doesn't take much time.

I personally wouldn't skip anything on first watch, but if i were to rewatch DBZ i'd probably skip a lot of Namek episodes and entire 2nd form Cell part of his arc. For DBS i would never want to watch most of ToP again. I'd skip straight to Kefla and watch last few episodes, without pre-top tournament, team gathering and fighting against all those random fighters. In fact, the only Super arc i'd probably not skip at all is U6 tournament. I'm not sure if i would skip anything from original series except for some fillers maybe.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:22 pm

You should definitely watch it. It's really enjoyable. :D

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:47 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:30 pm Yes, storytelling is a journey but it's supposed to be a pleasurable journey.
Where does it say that it's supposed to be a pleasurable journey? Journeys are not always pleasurable. They can be difficult and painful. Just like storytelling. There are highs and lows. It's not ideal, but it's how things are. Ultimately, what a story and journey is really about is the experience.

If the viewer wants to fully appreciate the experience, then they have to be willing to endure the low points. If they aren't willing to do so, that's fair, but then maybe it's just not the right kind of story for them in the first place. Not every story will be pleasurable, because that's not the nature of storytelling. Or of art in general.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:20 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:47 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:30 pm Yes, storytelling is a journey but it's supposed to be a pleasurable journey.
Where does it say that it's supposed to be a pleasurable journey? Journeys are not always pleasurable. They can be difficult and painful. Just like storytelling. There are highs and lows. It's not ideal, but it's how things are. Ultimately, what a story and journey is really about is the experience.

If the viewer wants to fully appreciate the experience, then they have to be willing to endure the low points. If they aren't willing to do so, that's fair, but then maybe it's just not the right kind of story for them in the first place. Not every story will be pleasurable, because that's not the nature of storytelling. Or of art in general.
Again its a fucking martial arts cartoon. Most people aren’t going to keep watching a show that does nothing for them

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:52 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:47 pm

Low points shouldn't include boredom. I don't literally mean every story has to feel like the joy you get going to an amusement park. Some stories are tragedies and make you feel sad, some are thrillers that make you feel tense and anxious, etc. But you should not feel bored. The whole point of storytelling is to get the audience emotionally invested. When I say stories are supposed to be pleasurable, even sadness you feel from a great drama can be pleasurable. Kuririn's first death still makes me sad, and that's a feeling I treasure. That sadness brings me pleasure. But I should never feel bored.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:05 pm

I think if you’re going to watch something as serialized as Dragon Ball, it’s best to try and follow it from beginning to end. The first 15 or so episodes of GT can feel like a chore to get through, but they’re not exactly throwaway filler either. With that said, skipping to the “good stuff” seemed to work out pretty well for FUNimation.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:08 am

No.

I'd just get caught up on Super since it's an ongoing storyline (it will release a new movie soon). You can leave GT for last if you really feel the need to consume more DB material.

Watching GT before Super will only make things confusing since GT contradicts Super in many ways. And Super, being an ongoing storyline, should definitely take precedence.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:47 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:08 am
Watching GT before Super will only make things confusing since GT contradicts Super in many ways. And Super, being an ongoing storyline, should definitely take precedence.
It’s not confusing in the slightest if you just accept GT and Super are alternate sequels to Z. There’s no reason why someone can’t watch GT and then watch Super after knowing full well Super plays out in a way GT can’t ever happen. And there’s no reason Super needs to take precedence just because it’s “ongoing” .

You all make things way more complicated than they need to be.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:35 am

Super being ongoing series actually should make people watch GT first, because it's completed. Imagine saying the same thing when DBS just began and waiting few years before watching GT because "Super is still airing". For ongoing series, you will always have enough time to watch it and you might even catch up to it before it ends and you'll end up waiting for new chapters/movie without having anything to watch. You can always watch both at the same time, but that's where things might get confusing.

Besides, i think watching things in order they were released works better most of times. DBS might contradict GT and technically take place before it regardless of inconsistencies, but it still has some references to it that you will never get if you didn't watch GT first. It doesn't work other way around though. You can watch GT without knowing anything about Super and you won't miss anything.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:08 am

I don't recommend the skip episodes routine if you've never watched the show, you're certainly not going to miss key parts of the story or have problems following the plot, but what's the point of half-ass watching something you've never watched before?

Maybe you'll enjoy those episodes, don't let others tell you what's good and what's bad, use your own judgment, it's free of charge after all. It's DB's take on space exploration, maybe the planets introduced or the new races catch your attention, sure some episodes are plain awful and re-hashing DB episodes like the Zunama fella, but some others are enjoyable. I have more issues with the second part of GT actually, lol.

Everybody who appeared in the space arc will show up again later and you might not understand who they are or why they do what they do, which isn't really a problem but it's always better to get all the references than not.

But if you're all about fighting and blowing up planets then sure, maybe starting from episode 16 is your cup of tea. Hell, try episode 24 if that's the case.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:23 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:47 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:08 am
It’s not confusing in the slightest if you just accept GT and Super are alternate sequels to Z. There’s no reason why someone can’t watch GT and then watch Super after knowing full well Super plays out in a way GT can’t ever happen. And there’s no reason Super needs to take precedence just because it’s “ongoing” .

You all make things way more complicated than they need to be.
It's actually pretty simple.

Since there's a new movie coming out, you would be advised to watch the current ongoing series which explains and serves as background for the events happening in those movies.

It would make little sense to go watch a completely unrelated series that ended more than 20 years ago.

Then, when you're caught up with everything in the anime and the movie is released, while waiting for new content in the ongoing series, you could go watch GT.

Since, according to Toriyama, GT is just a "grand side-story", it makes sense to save GT for last, as a sort of Plan Z. Since Super is still the main story (being a midquel preceding the events of the grand finale, the End of Z), while GT is a side-story. Side-stories are typically left for last.

And obviously there's the fact that after the new movie, which takes place VERY CLOSE to End of Z, Super might just go over the End of Z and replace GT as a sequel to Goku leaving with Uub. Transitioning from a midquel to a full sequel. Which would change everything :think:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:27 am

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Since there's a new movie coming out, you would be advised to watch the current ongoing series which explains and serves as background for the events happening in those movies.
A movie that right now only had a release date of “sometime next year” which probably means its not coming out until the latter part of 2022. So it’s not really a good reason to watch Super before GT.
It would make little sense to go watch a completely unrelated series that ended more than 20 years ago.
Other than for enjoyment you mean? The OP asked about GT not Super. They can test out GT for a bit and if they enjoy it? Great! There’s another Dragon Ball series they can check out. If they don’t enjoy it? Great they’ll be happy to know there’s another Dragon Ball series that ignores it. And I say this as someone who actually enjoys Super and doesn’t have a high opinion of GT just let people enjoy things.
Then, when you're caught up with everything in the anime and the movie is released, while waiting for new content in the ongoing series, you could go watch GT.
Or they can watch GT and then Super because its not like the movie is coming out next month. The movie will also probably be pretty self contained. Like the Broly movie outside of Freeza being alive and passing mentions of the Tournament of Power you can skip all of Super and still follow that movie if all you’ve seen is Battle of Gods and Resurrection F. Somehow I doubt the new movie is going to be neck deep in Dragon Ball Super lore.
Since, according to Toriyama, GT is just a "grand side-story", it makes sense to save GT for last, as a sort of Plan Z. Since Super is still the main story (being a midquel preceding the events of the grand finale, the End of Z), while GT is a side-story. Side-stories are typically left for last.
Since when? The movies and specials are basically side stories and I don’t know too many fans who will watch all 15 Z movies after Dragon Ball Z.

There’s literally no reason to watch Super before GT, just like there’s literally no reason to watch GT before Super. They’re alternative sequels to Z. If someone wants to watch GT first then that’s fine. And the same would be true if they wanted to watch Super first.
And obviously there's the fact that after the new movie, which takes place VERY CLOSE to End of Z, Super might just go over the End of Z and replace GT as a sequel to Goku leaving with Uub. Transitioning from a midquel to a full sequel. Which would change everything :think:
This is super irrelevant. They’re already two series that can’t exist in the same continuity. You can watch both, you can watch one over the other. You can watch neither. It really doesn’t matter.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:37 am

Watching GT before Super would be confusing if you happen to be a dog, a gazelle or Joey Tribbiani, or have no capacity of critical thinking.
Pretty much the entire fandom watched GT before Super and we don't see too many confused people because of that.

If confusion is mandatory, then the order doesn't really matter, you'd still be "confused" even if you watch DBS, the new movie, EoZ, and then watch GT. Didn't Kibitoshin defuse? where's Beerus? what happened to UI? DBS or the new movie won't answer any of that. A simple "it's a side story" clears confusion away, no matter what order you watch it.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:47 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:27 am Like the Broly movie outside of Freeza being alive and passing mentions of the Tournament of Power you can skip all of Super and still follow that movie if all you’ve seen is Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.
You can't, because as you acknowledged, there is a reference to the Tournament of Power and "great enemies" Goku fought against in that arc, like Jiren, Kefla, and Ribrianne. Someone who hasn't watched the Super anime would not understand what Goku is talking about. You also wouldn't understand how Frieza can be alive when he was disintegrated by Goku at the end of RoF. The movie is made with the idea that people caught up to the last arc of Super prior to that movie (the Tournament of Power arc), and the same will happen with the upcoming movie. If you haven't watched the Broly movie, you won't understand who is the guy sparring with Goku in some scenes of Super Hero (Broly).

So as I said at the beginning, if you want to get caught up with the current storyline as quick as possible, in anticipation for the upcoming movie, then watching GT is pointless. And I suspect that's why the online Anime Filler List marks the entire series as "filler" :think: