Is GT worth watching?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Is GT worth watching?

Post by BeaBumby » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:54 pm

So currently I'm just watching Kai, already finished DB. So in the chance I finish, should I move onto GT? To me it looks pretty fun!

(EDIT: This thread has kinda concluded, but it's still nice to read through!)
Last edited by BeaBumby on Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is GT worth watching?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:21 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:54 pm So currently I'm just watching Kai, already finished DB. So in the chance I finish, should I move onto GT? To me it looks pretty fun!
I’d at least test it out. Just to see. If you don’t like the first few episodes skip to episode 16 because a lot of people didn’t like the first arc. If you still don’t like it, you gave it a shot.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:26 pm

Yes, GT is worth watching. While it's not the best of the Dragon Ball series it is the most ambitious with a score (which GT must be watched with) not quite as great as Kikuchi but a close second.

The first 16 episodes can be a bit slow, but it picks up after that. There are some missteps, and missed opportunities but if you enjoyed everything thus far GT is well worth it for just another 64 episodes.

Best case scenario you'll be entertained and inspired. Worst case scenario you'll feel underwhelmed but still appreciate the ideas GT has to offer. Though it cannot be emphasized enough that you watch GT with Tokunaga's score, it's truly majestic.

Funimation's dub is terrible, and Blue Water's dub is ok if you can find it, but the best way is with the Japanese version.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:36 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:26 pm Funimation's dub is terrible, and Blue Water's dub is ok if you can find it, but the best way is with the Japanese version.
Hey what if they did like a GT Kai that would be pretty cool!
Then again Ms. Nadolny wouldn't be Goku so eh. (Nadolny fan right here, heheh)
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:25 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:21 pm If you don’t like the first few episodes skip to episode 16 because a lot of people didn’t like the first arc.
I will always be against things like that. Those first episodes slowly introduce you to machine-mutants lore which is big part of series, bring some new characters that make a sweet little comeback at the end of series and what's probably most important those episodes provide major character development for main cast, especially Pan&Giru. When you skip those episodes you will be just thrown to the middle of story without knowing those characters well except Goku, as Pan is relatively new character and Trunks is completely different, now adult person. After ep16 series becomes more focused on action and serious things with less time to build up characters relationships.

IMO It's totally crucial to watch at least 5 first episodes (until they leave first planet) and episode 15 which is very important for characters and is arguably one of the best episodes of GT. But i still recommend to watch everything. First two arcs of DBS had much bigger issues than first arc of GT and i still recommend people to watch them.

Also, episodes 16-22 are still part of first arc which is something a lot of people forget because of dumb FUNimation decisions. And since these episodes are very often considered better than previous ones it's important to remember that when talking about first arc quality.
BeaBumby wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:36 pm Hey what if they did like a GT Kai that would be pretty cool!
I also miss Stephanie Nadolny. I can't stand new little Goku.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:45 pm

If you're curious, it's worth checking out. Watching it in Japanese is the best choice to watch GT in my opinion. The only good English dub of GT is the Blue Water dub by having more faithful scripts than Funimation did. The Blue Water dub is the only English DB dub where they use Oozaru and not Great Ape (I always hate that name).
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:59 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:45 pm If you're curious, it's worth checking out. Watching it in Japanese is the best choice to watch GT in my opinion. The only good English dub of GT is the Blue Water dub by having more faithful scripts than Funimation did. The Blue Water dub is the only English DB dub where they use Oozaru and not Great Ape (I always hate that name).
With all the respect for Elise Baughman who's a very lovely person, Blue Water Pan voice is so much better. I believe big part of hatred towards Pan came from FUNimation dub where her voice can be really annoying especially combined with their script.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:00 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:25 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:21 pm If you don’t like the first few episodes skip to episode 16 because a lot of people didn’t like the first arc.
I will always be against things like that. Those first episodes slowly introduce you to machine-mutants lore which is big part of series, bring some new characters that make a sweet little comeback at the end of series and what's probably most important those episodes provide major character development for main cast, especially Pan&Giru. When you skip those episodes you will be just thrown to the middle of story without knowing those characters well except Goku, as Pan is relatively new character and Trunks is completely different, now adult person. After ep16 series becomes more focused on action and serious things with less time to build up characters relationships.

IMO It's totally crucial to watch at least 5 first episodes (until they leave first planet) and episode 15 which is very important for characters and is arguably one of the best episodes of GT. But i still recommend to watch everything. First two arcs of DBS had much bigger issues than first arc of GT and i still recommend people to watch them.

Also, episodes 16-22 are still part of first arc which is something a lot of people forget because of dumb FUNimation decisions. And since these episodes are very often considered better than previous ones it's important to remember that when talking about first arc quality.
BeaBumby wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:36 pm Hey what if they did like a GT Kai that would be pretty cool!
I also miss Stephanie Nadolny. I can't stand new little Goku.
The lore of the machine mutants isn't deep and it's honestly not important. All anyone needs to know is Baby came from a race destroyed by the Saiyans and wants revenge. It's a straightforward revenge story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:05 pm

It ranges from "pretty decent" to "okay-ish" to "pretty boring" depending on the arc, imo. I don't think it's as terrible as the fandom made it out to be for years, but I also don't think it's as good as some of the recent re-evaluation suggests.

Can't speak on the dub because I haven't watched that version since I was too young to remember. Need to get around to watching the BW dub at some point, though.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:24 pm

I’d say watch the first five eps since it sets up the story, though 6-15 are a chore to get through and overall aren’t really that necessary in terms of the overall story. You could skip ahead to ep 16 since that leads to the Planet M2 stuff which sets up the Baby arc. Just don’t skip the latter and start at the following episode the way FUNimation did when they dubbed GT the first time around back in 2003. Speaking of which, if you’re going to watch the show dubbed then just hunt down the Blue Water dub online, because FUNi’s reeks of the reversioning practices of the era in trying to pass it off as a faux hardcore edgy series (which it’s not really)and it’s just a bad dub in general. Watching the series in Japanese is my personal recommendation though after Blue Water’s version.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:31 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:24 pm I’d say watch the first five eps since it sets up the story, though 6-15 are a chore to get through and overall aren’t really that necessary in terms of the overall story. You could skip ahead to ep 16 since that leads to the Planet M2 stuff which sets up the Baby arc. Just don’t skip the latter and start at the following episode the way FUNimation did when they dubbed GT the first time around back in 2003. Speaking of which, if you’re going to watch the show dubbed then just hunt down the Blue Water dub online, because FUNi’s reeks of the reversioning practices of the era in trying to pass it off as a faux hardcore edgy series (which it’s not really)and it’s just a bad dub in general. Watching the series in Japanese is my personal recommendation though after Blue Water’s version.
ep15 was great and very important for characters imo. I highly advice to not skip that episode. Just because it's not connected to main story other than looking for a dragon ball doesn't mean it should be skipped. What happens in that episode is actually very relevant for M2 episodes as it's very major point for Pan and Giru relationship.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:40 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:31 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:24 pm I’d say watch the first five eps since it sets up the story, though 6-15 are a chore to get through and overall aren’t really that necessary in terms of the overall story. You could skip ahead to ep 16 since that leads to the Planet M2 stuff which sets up the Baby arc. Just don’t skip the latter and start at the following episode the way FUNimation did when they dubbed GT the first time around back in 2003. Speaking of which, if you’re going to watch the show dubbed then just hunt down the Blue Water dub online, because FUNi’s reeks of the reversioning practices of the era in trying to pass it off as a faux hardcore edgy series (which it’s not really)and it’s just a bad dub in general. Watching the series in Japanese is my personal recommendation though after Blue Water’s version.
ep15 was great and very important for characters imo. I highly advice to not skip that episode. Just because it's not connected to main story other than looking for a dragon ball doesn't mean it should be skipped. What happens in that episode is actually very relevant for M2 episodes as it's very major point for Pan and Giru relationship.
That’s right, i haven’t watched that one in a while so i just forgot it was actually important or essential. Next time i watch GT i’m not going to pass it. 6-14 though are definitely skippable.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:54 pm

I'd say the first episode and the last episode are worthwhile, everything in the middle is skippable. The only interesting fight is with Super 17, but even that is pretty tame.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:13 pm

Don't skip episodes in television. It's in really poor taste.

Yes, GT is definitely worth watching.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:40 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:13 pm Don't skip episodes in television. It's in really poor taste.

Why is it in poor taste?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:56 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:40 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:13 pm Don't skip episodes in television. It's in really poor taste.

Why is it in poor taste?
Each episode of a television series is a part of a larger story. Stories aren't meant to be told with chunks missing out. It does a disservice to the viewer to skip episodes and get a broken down story, and it's also disrespectful to the show itself when its integrity is disrupted that way.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:12 pm

Why is it in poor taste?
They're part of story. You can't say you've watched series if you skipped some episodes. If you're rewatching something then sure, skip whatever you want.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:19 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:54 pm So currently I'm just watching Kai, already finished DB. So in the chance I finish, should I move onto GT? To me it looks pretty fun!
It is, depending on what you're into. I personally wouldn't go back and watch it, but it's still pretty cool. I can't go back and watch it because the franchise has progressed so far n GT was so long ago... It's virtually irrelevant to me.

That said, I say this as someone who's already seen GT in it's entirety, 3 times, already. If I had never seen it, I might be compelled... Might be just on SSJ4, alone.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:17 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:12 pm

Why is it in poor taste?
They're part of story. You can't say you've watched series if you skipped some episodes. If you're rewatching something then sure, skip whatever you want.
The story switched gears after the first arc. If they’re not enjoying something I’m simply advising them to at least check out the second arc just to make sure they don’t like GT. If they enjoy the first arc and watch all of it, great! But why the hell would anyone watch 15 whole ass episodes they don’t like just because the second arc might be better.

And I’d say the same with the original Dragon Ball. If someone wasn’t feeling the first few episodes I’d advised them at least check out the first tournament arc before writing the series off.
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:56 pm
Each episode of a television series is a part of a larger story. Stories aren't meant to be told with chunks missing out. It does a disservice to the viewer to skip episodes and get a broken down story, and it's also disrespectful to the show itself when its integrity is disrupted that way.
This is gonna blow your mind but Dragon Ball was made at a time when audiences weren’t expected to see literally every single episode. The whole idea of needing to watch a show from the very beginning to the end really didn’t kick off until streaming services started doing their own content. Back then it wasn’t unheard of for people to jump into a show and try to catch up later if possible.

Also disrespectful to the show itself? It’s a cartoon, not a person.
Last edited by MasenkoHA on Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:20 pm

No. I like the idea of the Shadow Dragons coming to plague the Earth for abusing the Dragon Balls, and most of the design behind Super Saiyan 4. But, the show itself isn't good. I can't recommend it in good faith.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.