30th Anniversary sets or Dragon Boxes?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

30th Anniversary sets or Dragon Boxes?

Post by SylentEcho » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:24 am

I've got the actual Dragon Boxes, but also a customized set, fused with the fan-remastered broadcast audio, which is my preferred way to watch the show.

I've only just discovered the 30th Anniversary boxed sets and was wondering how they were compared to the ones mentioned above. I've heard about the artificial grain and don't mind it; I'm mainly concerned about cropping, colour and audio.

I was considering buying it off someone and I'd be very grateful for any thoughts, comparisons and advice.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: 30th Anniversary sets or Dragon Boxes?

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:34 am

There's really 0 reason to bother with them if you already have access to the Dragon Box version in some form, the 30th Anniversary masters are worse in every way. The only people I'd recommend the 30A version to are those who don't have the DBoxes and aren't interested in...ahem less than legal ways of acquiring that version, and insist on buying the show officially.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:55 am

If you have the Dragon Boxes, I'd stay stick with those. However, if you get find a 30th steelbook cheap I'd suggest picking up a copy and give a few episodes a play to see if you like it.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:01 pm

SylentEcho wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:24 am I've only just discovered the 30th Anniversary boxed sets and was wondering how they were compared to the ones mentioned above. I've heard about the artificial grain and don't mind it; I'm mainly concerned about cropping, colour and audio.
It's worth mentioning the new Steelbooks are literally the 30th Anniversary set repackaged, and are more affordable and better packaged.

I'm no expert on video, but the 30th Anniversary set is 4:3 all the way. The only cropping on the 30th is the first 2-3 episodes, which supposedly had poor masters, but even they're still 4:3. After that, the 30th set generally has just as much picture as the Dragon Boxes, and even more in some instances.

The 30th uses a similar approach to the Orange Bricks and Seasons Blu-rays; DNR being used used to make the picture look cleaner while having the unfortunate side affect of loss of detail along with the grain. Some have argued it actually has better colours than the Dragon Boxes though.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:06 pm

The Dragon Boxes look more natural because they are sourced from TOEI's masters, whereas the 30th set, like the previous season sets are based on Funimation's third generation masters. The DNR also gives the 30th a cleaner look, with the Dragon Boxes the lack of DNR makes them truer to the cel-like feel of the original Japanese airings in the 80s and 90s.

In terms of picture, everyone complains about cropping, but the reality is all Dragon Ball releases are cropped to an extent. The 30th, like the Dragon Boxes however retains almost all the important information. The previous DVD and Blu-Ray season sets infamously cut off heads, hair, some background details, etc so were, in many ways not ideal as these were frames and shots of animation composed by artists with specific compositions in mind. That said the Dragon Boxes are out of print and out of many people's budgets and buying them second hand doesn't support anyone other than the seller asking crazy prices for them, so for anyone who doesn't own the series, wants to support it and the 30th or any season sets are affordable to them there's nothing wrong with buying them.

As you already have the Dragon Boxes it is up to you whether the 30th set or the steelbooks that repackage it are worth it. Some will say don't bother. I say weigh up your options. Do you want the Faulconer score? Are you interested in the special features? Do you want it for collecting purposes? If yes would be the answer to any of those questions then it may be worth it for you, but only you can decide that.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:18 am

These just aren't that much of an improvement from the Season Blu-Rays, in my opinion. They're very similar color and audio-wise, but in 4:3. The only extra perk is the aspect ratio. I'd recommend to just wait on a sale or some kind of markdown if you're curious to check out these steelbooks. At least that's what I'm probably gonna do. :lol:
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:36 am

For anyone waiting on a sale on any repackage of the 30th anniversary remaster your best bet would be to go for the UK standard Blu-Ray seasons. Zavvi often does sales on Manga UK titles. Those sets also have matching spines, with reversible covers and come with nice posters and art cards. Arguably the best in print release of the series when it comes to packaging. They are also region A/B so will work on US players.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:30 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:36 am For anyone waiting on a sale on any repackage of the 30th anniversary remaster your best bet would be to go for the UK standard Blu-Ray seasons. Zavvi often does sales on Manga UK titles. Those sets also have matching spines, with reversible covers and come with nice posters and art cards. Arguably the best in print release of the series when it comes to packaging. They are also region A/B so will work on US players.
For those in the US, Walmart is also getting a non-steelbook printing of Dragon Ball Z on Blu-ray, but it's unclear if it's the 30th Anniversary discs again or if it's the cropped Season sets. We won't know until the product page goes live on Walmart's website.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:21 pm

If you're cool with the Blue Bricks or the Green Bricks you'll be cool with the steel books (30th anniversary footage). Since you have the DBox, though, it's not really necessary.

For anyone who doesn't wanna track down overpriced DBoxes at this point, though, the steel books or those 3-pack Wal-mart exclusive sets of the same footage that just got announced are perfectly fine.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:42 pm

Kendamu wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:21 pm If you're cool with the Blue Bricks or the Green Bricks you'll be cool with the steel books (30th anniversary footage). Since you have the DBox, though, it's not really necessary.

For anyone who doesn't wanna track down overpriced DBoxes at this point, though, the steel books or those 3-pack Wal-mart exclusive sets of the same footage that just got announced are perfectly fine.
I’m kinda banking on the Wal-mart sets being a better deal price wise but probably not.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:58 pm

The 30th sets are shit. Dragon Boxes are good; great even, if you have broadcast audio synced up.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:42 pm
Kendamu wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:21 pm If you're cool with the Blue Bricks or the Green Bricks you'll be cool with the steel books (30th anniversary footage). Since you have the DBox, though, it's not really necessary.

I’m kinda banking on the Wal-mart sets being a better deal price wise but probably not.
Thats what I am interested in considering the steels were more expensive than the 30th set. It'll be interesting to see how much each of these boxsets are sold for.

At the end of the day, the shows just meant to be enjoyed and I think the series can be enjoyed with really any of the releases and I don't think people should have to break the bank just to enjoy the series.

To the OP be careful when looking up comparisons on youtube because I watched one that clearly used fan DNRed Dragon Boxes.