Walmart Exclusive Dragon Ball Z Bluray sets *Confirmed to be the 2013 cropped discs*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CuppaKofe

Walmart Exclusive Dragon Ball Z Bluray sets *Confirmed to be the 2013 cropped discs*

Post by CuppaKofe » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:41 pm

Confirmed to be the same discs as the 2013 16:9 cropped releases. Buyer beware! As the 4:3 steelbooks are slowly going out of print, Consider importing the region A/B 4:3 MangaUK sets.

Saw this on the BluRay.com forums.
No word on if these are the 4:3 30A discs or the older cropped discs. It would be pretty short sighted to sell another variation of the cropped discs. Confirmed to be the same discs as the 2013 release. Funimation doing the dumbest possible thing? Wow! Buyer beware!

The 4-9 sets use older promo art and don't look that bad. The 1-3 sets use newer promo art tho, and kinda stand out in a bad way. Should have gone with the packaging of the Manga UK sets for consistency.
Last edited by CuppaKofe on Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
Looking for the following Pioneer single:

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Walmart Exclusive Dragon Ball Z Bluray sets

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:48 pm

Absolutely incredible that it's 2021 and Funimation is still constantly cranking out DBZ re-releases.

And they all still suck lol.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:12 am

Not impressed with the cover art at all. Also a shame they're using level set-style spines when we all know there's not a chance in hell these sets will contain a full run of Steve Franco's restoration (which I can confirm does exist).

I fully expect this to be another repackage of the 30th anniversary remaster.

Kinda frustrating that after all these years still all Funimation does with the series is re-release Z. Where's OG Dragon Ball or GT on Blu-Ray? Hell if they're releasing Z again why not release the Westwood dub?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:52 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:12 am Not impressed with the cover art at all. Also a shame they're using level set-style spines when we all know there's not a chance in hell these sets will contain a full run of Steve Franco's restoration (which I can confirm does exist).

I fully expect this to be another repackage of the 30th anniversary remaster.

Kinda frustrating that after all these years still all Funimation does with the series is re-release Z. Where's OG Dragon Ball or GT on Blu-Ray? Hell if they're releasing Z again why not release the Westwood dub?
I kinda have a feeling that's what this will be, because even with the speculation out there of this being the 2013/2014 fake widescreen versions recycled i'm doubting that at this point. That would seem weird considering 1. Those aren't really being promoted or circulated as much anymore and 2. It would be odd to re release that given the 30th set/steelbooks are the most current version available as of now and with how much they pushed the 4:3 aspect ratio to suddenly jump back and put that out again would just be inconsistent.

True, it's been over a decade since both the original series and GT were last released when the Green/Blue brick season sets were released from 2008-2010. They're well overdue for re release instead of the gazillionth version of DBZ!!!
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:39 am

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon-B ... ay/305407/

Looks like it is indeed a repackaging of the 30th anniversary remaster.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:12 am Hell if they're releasing Z again why not release the Westwood dub?
Because it doesn’t have their cast.

Because they would have to get the tapes from Ocean Studios

Because its an edited only dub

Because the Westwood dub is just episode 108-276/122-291 and that’s more likely going to confuse most people

Because most of their consumer base in the US isn’t going to know anything or give a shit about that dub.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:54 am

I mean, if the specs are saying 1.33:1 it can only mean that. Plus, it also shows the steelbook cases on the paa page so that's a pretty big hint as to what version. So given that looks like FUNimation is indeed repackaging the 30th masters for wider release. It's still not the best or ideal edition, though people will now have the option to get a 4:3 (more or less) release in stores somewhere other than just online.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:05 pm

"People of the Earth, your wish has been granted! Give us money and you can own this once in a lifetime, rare Blu-ray set that will never ever be reproduced again! Yes... Give us your money so that we could grant your wish! Don't miss out on this because we will never ever do this again!"

And then they did it again. And again. I mean, technically they didn't lie--they never released the exact same set with the packaging and book and whatnot. But on the other hand, they freaking lied.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:39 am https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon-B ... ay/305407/
Where did the Blu-ray.com users get that info? It likely is a 30A re-package, but has that been specifically confirmed?

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:13 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:40 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:39 am https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dragon-B ... ay/305407/
Where did the Blu-ray.com users get that info? It likely is a 30A re-package, but has that been specifically confirmed?
Bluray entrees are user submitted, haven't seen any actual confirmation from Funi themselves. I think most people assume because FUNimation can be dumb, but not that dumb. Right?

We likely won't know until product page is up.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:39 pm

CuppaKofe wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:13 pm
LostTimeLord wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:40 pm
Bluray entrees are user submitted, haven't seen any actual confirmation from Funi themselves. I think most people assume because FUNimation can be dumb, but not that dumb. Right?

We likely won't know until product page is up.
I'm still betting that this is most likely going to be the 30th anniversary set/steelbook masters repackaged, because honestly it doesn't seem like the 2013/2014 fake widescreen BD's are really what all their focus is on promoting these days. You can't find them on store shelves much anymore because i haven't seen any around in quite a while, so they're probably trying to get as much mileage out of milking their most recent version as possible. This would give FUNi the opportunity to do just that.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:19 pm

Ehh, go for it, guys. The 30th Anniversary master is the best of a really, REALLY bad situation with the series in the west, might as well pick this version up instead of shelling out ungodly amounts of money for a full DBox set.

CuppaKofe

Post by CuppaKofe » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:37 pm

Listings are up:

1-3

4-6

7-9

Huh, so these will be about the same price as just one steelbook. For those looking to grab those, this is a way better deal. Specifications don't mention the aspect ratio yet, but it's most likely the 30A.

If the steelbooks end up being more expensive in the aftermarket, I might sell them off for profit and grab these on sale.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:44 am

Wow, those are actually cheaper than I expected. Less than $12 a season.

Guess they're really banking on the ultra-casual crowd jumping on these and replacing the 16:9 Blu-Rays as the new default release.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:41 am

Huh. Guess I should probably get these

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:17 am

Wow, at this price and assuming it's the 4:3 30th footage, I'm definitely glad I hadn't gotten around to buying any of the steelbooks yet.

Still really hoping that cover art of SS3 Goku on the third set isn't final though...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:25 am

I’m just glad they finally made the painfully obvious choice to have Super Saiyan 2 Gohan on the season 6 cover. The lack of Gohan on any of the orange brick covers was weird.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:43 am

This is pretty cool! I've always wanted to buy the complete home release of the series but they've been a little overpriced. I had to wait until it was available on legal streaming services to rewatch it all. What would you guys consider the best home release? I've heard it's the Dragon Box because it's the closest to the original broadcast but I don't know how accurate that is.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:35 am

Skar wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:43 am This is pretty cool! I've always wanted to buy the complete home release of the series but they've been a little overpriced. I had to wait until it was available on legal streaming services to rewatch it all. What would you guys consider the best home release? I've heard it's the Dragon Box because it's the closest to the original broadcast but I don't know how accurate that is.
Dragon boxes are a pretty solid release. However, the 30th is overall a pretty good release. There is issues with the DNR (and FUNimations source in general) but I dont find it nearly as distracting as the 16x9 release.

For the price of essentially one Dragon box (at the cheaper end) on the after market. You can get the whole series. Not a bad deal at all. If I already didnt have the 30th set I'd snap these.
I randomly took one disc out of each "season" and randomly took screencaps. The only thing I avoided was the intro/ending.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:00 pm

Kaboom wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:17 am Still really hoping that cover art of SS3 Goku on the third set isn't final though...
Was thinking the same thing. I feel like it's almost a FUNimation trademark at this point to always have at least one awkward cover art for their releases.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:03 pm

The other thing I checked was that season 1-3 is 12 discs. So with 4 cases per box we're looking at rougly 4 discs per case (give or take a disc). That means the overal size for all 3 boxes will rouglt be the same as the 30th (width side out) wich is a MASSIVE space saver for those with filled shelves (and also a huge plus overall)