Walmart Exclusive Dragon Ball Z Bluray sets *Confirmed to be the 2013 cropped discs*

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Walmart Exclusive Dragon Ball Z Bluray sets

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:51 pm

While it may not be the best the series has ever looked that's a great deal per set. I think that anyone who doesn't own the series, is on a budget but wants to support it these sets aren't a bad way to go. At the very least your getting all 291 episodes in 4:3.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:54 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:51 pm While it may not be the best the series has ever looked that's a great deal per set. I think that anyone who doesn't own the series, is on a budget but wants to support it these sets aren't a bad way to go. At the very least your getting all 291 episodes in 4:3.
I think we all have given up on Funimation getting it right. The Dragon Boxes are expensive. The Level Sets were cancelled too early to be worthwhile (I know I’ll get disagreements but I stand by it) this really is the best its gonna get. The correct aspect ratio for less than $200

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:37 pm

I've said it before, but if TOEI don't care anymore there's not a hope of Funimation changing their ways. In the lead up to the 30th anniversary (of Z's release in Japan no less) were TOEI doing anything to create a remaster to rival international HD transfers? No, they were promoting Funimation's box set on social media, it's almost as if they were saying "Yeah, it's the 30th anniversary, we could create our own remaster but Funimation will do it for us". Granted the 30th set wasn't made for, or sold in Japan, but considering TOEI just decided to recut Z and pass it off as a new show for the 20th anniversary with Kai, which I love for what it is, but I digress, it just feels like the trajectory is, as time goes on is this - TOEI cares less, so Funimation can't see any reason to treat the show any differently.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:40 pm

I may even end up getting these, in case I ever need to sell the Dragon Boxes.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:42 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:54 pm
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:51 pm While it may not be the best the series has ever looked that's a great deal per set. I think that anyone who doesn't own the series, is on a budget but wants to support it these sets aren't a bad way to go. At the very least your getting all 291 episodes in 4:3.
I think we all have given up on Funimation getting it right. The Dragon Boxes are expensive. The Level Sets were cancelled too early to be worthwhile (I know I’ll get disagreements but I stand by it) this really is the best its gonna get. The correct aspect ratio for less than $200
I hate to say it, but it probly is (granted the 30th and the levels are the two sets I've never sold off at some point). Yea I'm still bummed the level sets were never done and FUNimation put in more work to make it look worse. Every release has had it's issues and while this one is namley DNR, it's still a huge win being 4:3 (if this is 4:3, tho I think we're all pretty confident it is).
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:37 pm I've said it before, but if TOEI don't care anymore there's not a hope of Funimation changing their ways. In the lead up to the 30th anniversary (of Z's release in Japan no less) were TOEI doing anything to create a remaster to rival international HD transfers? No, they were promoting Funimation's box set on social media, it's almost as if they were saying "Yeah, it's the 30th anniversary, we could create our own remaster but Funimation will do it for us". Granted the 30th set wasn't made for, or sold in Japan, but considering TOEI just decided to recut Z and pass it off as a new show for the 20th anniversary with Kai, which I love for what it is, but I digress, it just feels like the trajectory is, as time goes on is this - TOEI cares less, so Funimation can't see any reason to treat the show any differently.
There are reservations with TOEI remastering it too. The on main draw is the fact that they have the masters. Even if we had a finished level set release, TOEI's remaster would already look 1000 times better by default. However, Japan is also obsessed with DNRing animation so I'm pretty confident DBZ would arrive on bluray DNRed (much like the films).

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:30 pm

A DBZ remaster by Toei could potentially suffer from censorship like the movies did a couple of years back. That and potentially a green tint.

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:47 pm

Pages are up for the new Walmart sets. $34.96 a set. Assuming these are the 30th Anniversary discs, that's an incredible deal!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dragon-Ball- ... /807781505

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:39 pm

I'm hesitant to jump on this before we know for sure what discs they are, but I guess the worst case scenario is that I blow $100 and can resell them at a slight loss. I still feel the 30A discs are inherently flawed in appearance, they look so "watercolor" for lack of better term, but at least I can make the comparisons for myself if I own them.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

tiedyegypsy

Post by tiedyegypsy » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:25 am

Dang, I just dropped on the steelbooks so it's too bad that these are like half the price. Oh well, I don't like that they used new artwork for 1-3 anyway. It clashes with the rest of the set too much for my liking.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:14 pm

CuppaKofe wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:41 pm Saw this on the BluRay.com forums.
No word on if these are the 4:3 30A discs or the older cropped discs. It would be pretty short sighted to sell another variation of the cropped discs.

The 4-9 sets use older promo art and don't look that bad. The 1-3 sets use newer promo art tho, and kinda stand out in a bad way. Should have gone with the packaging of the Manga UK sets for consistency.
Nearly 25 years later of the first DBZ home release and funimation is still dropping new versions of it amazing lool.

At this point they've milked this series to death. At least the cover art looks decent

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:55 am

Even though I was on here singing the 30th anniversary set's praises as "this is a good option and it's in 4:3," I look back and realize how preposterous that statement is. The series should have always been in 4:3. That shouldn't even be a discussion point. This was just an example of Funimation taking something away for a long period of time, then giving it back as if it's doing everyone this gigantic favor. Like, no, you people made a subpar version the standard, then are presenting a less subpar product that's better as great when it isn't.

If Funimation really wanted to get creative with themselves, they could have made a release that keeps the top and bottom 20% that they happened to chop out of previous releases through their cropping and included this "amazing" additional side video that they were so generous to give us in their cropped version. Yeah, would make for some weird aspect ratio that's bound to have black bars somewhere, but I would be all for it.

I don't know; Funimation had a cute little new gimmick for each release, but with this set, the gimmick seems to be "Hey, look! We fixed what we messed up before! Well, not really, but we fixed that little business of chopping off 20%! Eh? Eh? Love us! Your wish has been granted!"

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:11 am

Yeah, it's funny in retrospect Funimation thought that a "4:3 is for the hardcores" mindset was needed to promote the 30th set as this once-in-a-lifetime legendary Blu-Ray collection that would need to be crowdfunded, and then decided that it should be for a general audience making the remaster they did for the 30th not as special as they claimed. The company needs to hire a fan because they don't know what people want most of the time.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:36 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:11 am The company needs to hire a fan because they don't know what people want most of the time.
I don’t think it’s lack of fan insight that’s the problem. I think the people at Funimation just tend to not be very bright.

I know one of the former brand managers for Funimation did say they ran a poll back in the day to get fan feedback and fans overwhelming voted on 4:3 over 16:9 aspect ratio their counterargument was “the 16:9 sets were outselling the 4:3 sets “ the problem with that was yeah duh the Orange Bricks out sold the Dragon Boxes they were a lot cheaper to obtain included the dub music and more importantly they came out first. The average Joe Moe isn’t going to buy the Dragon Boxes after they just bought the orange bricks. Same thing with the level sets vs the blue ray season sets. The latter didn’t sell better because it was 16:9 it sold better because it was a complete season and consumers didn’t have to buy a single season in ”sets”

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:21 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:36 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:11 am The company needs to hire a fan because they don't know what people want most of the time.
I don’t think it’s lack of fan insight that’s the problem. I think the people at Funimation just tend to not be very bright.

I know one of the former brand managers for Funimation did say they ran a poll back in the day to get fan feedback and fans overwhelming voted on 4:3 over 16:9 aspect ratio their counterargument was “the 16:9 sets were outselling the 4:3 sets “ the problem with that was yeah duh the Orange Bricks out sold the Dragon Boxes they were a lot cheaper to obtain included the dub music and more importantly they came out first. The average Joe Moe isn’t going to buy the Dragon Boxes after they just bought the orange bricks. Same thing with the level sets vs the blue ray season sets. The latter didn’t sell better because it was 16:9 it sold better because it was a complete season and consumers didn’t have to buy a single season in ”sets”
100% this. They follow numbers. Which is really suprising they pushed out the steel books after the 30th barley made it. DNR sells as well unfortunatly, I remember people complaning how distracting the grain was when the Level sets came out and DNR is quite popular in the industry (espeshally for animation). It's an unforunate thing, which is one reason why I'm not pushing for a TOEI remaster outside the fact they have a better source.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:50 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:11 am Yeah, it's funny in retrospect Funimation thought that a "4:3 is for the hardcores" mindset was needed to promote the 30th set as this once-in-a-lifetime legendary Blu-Ray collection that would need to be crowdfunded, and then decided that it should be for a general audience making the remaster they did for the 30th not as special as they claimed. The company needs to hire a fan because they don't know what people want most of the time.
People just want Dragon Ball but in an affordable price. FUNimation keep shooting themselves in the feet when it comes to pricing.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:11 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:21 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:36 am

100% this. They follow numbers. Which is really suprising they pushed out the steel books after the 30th barley made it. DNR sells as well unfortunatly, I remember people complaning how distracting the grain was when the Level sets came out and DNR is quite popular in the industry (espeshally for animation). It's an unforunate thing, which is one reason why I'm not pushing for a TOEI remaster outside the fact they have a better source.
What's that mean: "DNR sells"? DNR sells? What did they compare to determine this? Did they put out two releases at the same time which were identical in price, episode count, etc., one with DNR and one without? No. The set that they put out that was dirt cheap, had more episodes in the set than ever before, and was the only way to own a chunk of the series (the Namek arc) sold well. Yeah, it happened to be in 16:9 and had a huge DNR presence, but that's what the got out of it? That 16:9 and DNR sell? I don't want to call them incompetent morons--I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt and say that 16:9 and DNR served their agenda and they just used the "you fans must like it more as proven by the sales!" crap to try to justify it to us. I'm going to go ahead and say that they think we're idiots as opposed to saying that they actually are idiots.

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:30 pm

Sorry to bump but these sets release on Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone was planning on picking them up?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:33 pm

Catsenti wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:30 pm Sorry to bump but these sets release on Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone was planning on picking them up?
Probably not immediately but if these are indeed the 4:3 30th anniversary repackaged and not a repackaging of the 16:9 season sets I will eventually.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:02 am

After all these months i still have a feeling that these will be the 30th and steelbook versions, because from what i would figure they'd want to use the most recent release and thus repackaging an eight plus year old cropped widescreen version that isn't even readily on store shelves anymore (I don't know if the 2013/2014 Season BDs are even still in print at his point) wouldn't really make much sense.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:10 am

I expect these to be the 30th too. If they're not (for better or worse) I'll be suprised. However, can't wait to see posts about people getting them :D