Should non canon characters become canon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Should non canon characters become canon?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:00 am

I really don't want to kick up any dirt and am almost surely going to regret typing this, but I've kind of had enough of this "it still exists!" thing that people use with GT and other non-canon material. It's like this weird meaningless consolation prize. I'm glad that we're all in agreement that there are physical discs, VHS tapes, and even streaming options for GT. I'm glad that we're all in agreement that there were actual people who actually animated GT and it exists. Doesn't make it relevant and certainly doesn't mean that those characters will be involved new stories.

Obviously the original post suggests new material with those characters. Responding with "but they exist" is such a groan-inducing thing. It's like someone saying, "Man, I wish Michael Keaton reprised his role as Batman," and someone else saying, "But he was Batman in two whole movies! They exist!" Yeah... Fantastic.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts on this whole "it exists" response. I find it to be a slap in the face. That response could be used in so many different ways. "I wish Dragon Ball Super felt more like Z." "Why? Z exists." "I liked Bulma's hair in the Namek arc--I wish she had that style of hair again." "Why? She had it on Namek. The Namek arc exists." "I wish Yamucha was more featured in the story." "Why? He was more featured in Dragon Ball. It exists." "I wish that Gohan took over as the main protagonist for Goku." "Why? He did that at the end of the Cell Games. That exists."

So on and so forth. So whenever I see someone use the "it exists" thing as a response to someone who wants GT characters (or elements of the story) to get some sort of new material (that yes, would "canonize" them), I can't help but feel like it's this little meaningless statement that's supposed to appease them. As if they simply forgot that it exists. Or as if they literally thought that someone snuck into every house that had a GT release and stole it. Clearly, GT's (and anything else that isn't part of the main story, quite frankly) existence isn't the primary focus here. I don't think that anyone needs to be reminded that GT exists.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:17 am

And I want to share my retort - We're saying "it exists" because throwing something out of continuity or not including it in continuity doesn't invalidate it. Hell, making non-canon characters canon doesn't "validate" them.

Claiming something is validated because they are canon is the meaningless statement. Saying "it exists" is reminding people that this all made up BS and is meant to be enjoyed in and of itself. It's asking people to have a little perspective.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:24 am

ABED wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:17 am And I want to share my retort - We're saying "it exists" because throwing something out of continuity or not including it in continuity doesn't invalidate it. Hell, making non-canon characters canon doesn't "validate" them.

Claiming something is validated because they are canon is the meaningless statement. Saying "it exists" is reminding people that this all made up BS and is meant to be enjoyed in and of itself. It's asking people to have a little perspective.
Okay. And how is that statement a valid response to this, for example, where the clear desire behind "canonizing" the characters simply means creating more content using them? Where is anyone talking about validating the characters by making them canon? If the characters were included in a real "grand side story" that wasn't a 7-minute long video game commercial, who said that anyone would be upset if that story wasn't canon?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:05 am

Hell naw. I do not want Dragon Ball to pull even more stuff from the past, just make new characters that are good. A trend of "non canon" characters becoming "canon" would be incredibly boring. :yawn:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:50 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:05 am Hell naw. I do not want Dragon Ball to pull even more stuff from the past, just make new characters that are good. A trend of "non canon" characters becoming "canon" would be incredibly boring. :yawn:
I agree with this for the villians who got their chance. But if Goten is going to be getting a girlfriend, for example, what's the harm in letting it be Palace? Doesn't have to have the same story or even personality. But if they're going to create a character just like her, why not at least use what's already in the catalog?

As for the Evil Dragons and Baby, I'd pass. They got through own arcs. What's the point of rehashing them?

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:25 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:50 am
PurestEvil wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:05 am Hell naw. I do not want Dragon Ball to pull even more stuff from the past, just make new characters that are good. A trend of "non canon" characters becoming "canon" would be incredibly boring. :yawn:
I agree with this for the villians who got their chance. But if Goten is going to be getting a girlfriend, for example, what's the harm in letting it be Palace? Doesn't have to have the same story or even personality. But if they're going to create a character just like her, why not at least use what's already in the catalog?

As for the Evil Dragons and Baby, I'd pass. They got through own arcs. What's the point of rehashing them?
She's so miniscule of a character that I don't see anyone stirring up much fuss either way.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:10 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:24 am
ABED wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:17 am And I want to share my retort - We're saying "it exists" because throwing something out of continuity or not including it in continuity doesn't invalidate it. Hell, making non-canon characters canon doesn't "validate" them.

Okay. And how is that statement a valid response to this, for example, where the clear desire behind "canonizing" the characters simply means creating more content using them? Where is anyone talking about validating the characters by making them canon? If the characters were included in a real "grand side story" that wasn't a 7-minute long video game commercial, who said that anyone would be upset if that story wasn't canon?
I see plenty of responses about how canonizing something validates it. The responses to Super: Broly was "Broly is now canon, this is awesome!" not, "Cool, more stories with Broly." So no, I don't think the desire, much less the clear one, is to get more stories with previously non-canon characters. I don't know how you don't see those type of responses. You don't have to go out of your way to find them.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:35 pm

I still don't really understand how GT being "non-canon" (not interested in debating the merits of this term any more, in case someone wants to correct me on that) or not "current" deems it irrelevant as a Dragon Ball product. It was made to be an ending. Whether or not it was fully successful at that is up for debate, but at the time it was meant to close the book on the Dragon Ball anime. It did that, and we got the Hero's Legacy special (which is actually pretty well-regarded along with GT's final episode) to cap it off. I don't see why Toei would feel the need to go back to that well. And despite Super introducing god ki and a bunch of stuff that doesn't line up with GT, GT is still Toei's only attempt at a post-EoZ series. I think its place in the pantheon is pretty much solidified. Everything we're getting now is stuck within the 10-year time-skip and we still don't know if it'll lead anywhere beyond that.

If anything, the fact that Toei is leaving the GT toys in the GT sandbox shows more respect and reverence to it than if they dug them back out to fit the current Super continuity. They're just leaving it alone, and I prefer that. Heck, my favorite transformations of the franchise are SSJ4 and Golden Oozaru, and they don't feel any less relevant to me just because Super hasn't brought them in, because they were made for only GT in the first place.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:00 pm

Not for me. I was against Broly coming back, and even though it turned out fine, I'm still against that idea. We already had Freeza coming back, twice, at this rate, with another comeback or "canonization" we'd be having DBZ 2.0 instead of a proper continuation/midquel/whatever. Just come up with new characters, Black, Hit and Jiren were nice.

Besides, most movie or GT villains left much to be desired. Cooler is Freeza but purpler, Super17 is just sad, Slug is more like Snooze for me. Baby is fine as it is, just like Omega Shenron, there isn't much I would change about them, nor do I want a Baby look-a-like or another type of Omega Shenron. And Bojack is being reimagined as the Heatas already.
Also, like others have stated, having a game with two Brolys is already kinda weird, if every non-canon character gets a canon version, well... like I said, I prefer that effort to be spent on new characters, not on old ones.

Well, maybe the Shadow Dragons could work as a multiversal threat, being the negative part of the SDBs or something, like some final villain to close down the curtain for good, but that won't happen.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:33 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:10 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:24 am

I see plenty of responses about how canonizing something validates it. The responses to Super: Broly was "Broly is now canon, this is awesome!" not, "Cool, more stories with Broly." So no, I don't think the desire, much less the clear one, is to get more stories with previously non-canon characters. I don't know how you don't see those type of responses. You don't have to go out of your way to find them.
I'll be honest now that I know of Super Broly's character, I do genuinely want to see more of him and how he develops.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:06 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:33 pm I'll be honest now that I know of Super Broly's character, I do genuinely want to see more of him and how he develops.
I think he meant moreso that the immediate reaction to Broly in Super wasn't "Broly's back!" but rather "Broly's finally canon!"

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:14 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:06 pm
BeaBumby wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:33 pm I'll be honest now that I know of Super Broly's character, I do genuinely want to see more of him and how he develops.
I think he meant moreso that the immediate reaction to Broly in Super wasn't "Broly's back!" but rather "Broly's finally canon!"
Yup, and while I've seen plenty of people want to see more, I also see a whole hell of a lot of "X should be canon" and the sentiment boils down to if it's not, it's somehow lesser for it.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:56 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:14 pm
Yup, and while I've seen plenty of people want to see more, I also see a whole hell of a lot of "X should be canon" and the sentiment boils down to if it's not, it's somehow lesser for it.
ah, gotcha! my apologies
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:20 am

I guess lots of people want to get that stamp of approval from the creator instead of having a piece of the franchise that they like be on the level of well-funded fanfiction. There is something to be said for being official. And while you might not care about that, lots of people do. And it brings me back to my point that taking a person "but it exists" does nothing to appease that feeling. Whether you understand that feeling or not, you apparently see it all over the place, so there's merit to it.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:31 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:20 am I guess lots of people want to get that stamp of approval from the creator instead of having a piece of the franchise that they like be on the level of well-funded fanfiction. There is something to be said for being official. And while you might not care about that, lots of people do. And it brings me back to my point that taking a person "but it exists" does nothing to appease that feeling. Whether you understand that feeling or not, you apparently see it all over the place, so there's merit to it.
On that note, Toriyama technically did give GT his stamp of approval with his letter for the GT Dragon Box https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... ama-intro/. Not as canon or as a part of his vision, but as a grand side-story to it; in other words, he's giving it validation just for being an official Dragon Ball product, although "side story" implies you can just take it or leave it in relation to his story. Where your take confuses me a bit regarding GT is this: when was it ever an official continuation, as far as being Toriyama's official continuation? It was always just Toei's attempt at an ending, and he had next-to-no involvement. GT wasn't further invalidated by Super being the current product; it was always treated as optional following EoZ, as nothing in it affects anything in OG DB+Z. I mean, yes, it was treated as the official anime continuation and franchise ending for awhile, but fans have been arguing about its canonicity for years, long before Super was even a thing. Fans just argue about it more with the advent of Super, but its level of "significance" is something that has always been debated.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:51 am

The problem I found with the "making non-canon characters canon" thing was that, in light of the new movie's announcement, it became an extremely predictable discussion and showed a severe lack of creative ambition in the fandom at large. 98% of discussions about predicting the next Super movie revolved around "who's gonna be made canon next, Cooler or Janemba?" As much as people talk about modern DB being creatively bankrupt, I had faith from the outset that they weren't going to do the exact same thing twice in a row. However, by the looks of things, Superhero will be digging up the past in a not altogether different way, just with the Red Ribbon Army this time.

The only characters I would be kinda interested in getting the Broly treatment are characters that had wasted potential in their debuts like the Shadow Dragons. For all GT's flaws, Baby was the one character executed well in my view, so I'm not hankering for his return, plus we have had more than enough Saiyan revenge plots recently. As for Cooler and Janemba, I think they both served their purposes as well. Cooler may have some more gas in the tank in terms of developing his relationship with Freeza, but he'll always be Freeza-lite to me. Janemba, I have no clue what people expect out of him. One of his most iconic abilities is his unique Lego-block teleportation effect, but the animators admitted it would be too laborious to do with modern technology, so it's like what's even the point in bringing him back.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:29 am

That's kinda sad fandom has become like this. People care more about some irrelevant canon than quality. They do not mind rehashing things and tons of fanservice as long as it's "canon" even though such word was never even used. It was the same with Gogeta. I didn't see much people just happy seeing Gogeta in last movie, they were happy because "he is canon now".

And what's also sad it that people want SSJ4 in canon. Why? Form that is already beloved by community as it is to be completely rewritten only to feel a bit more official? Like no one cares about execution or a fact it won't even fit entire god theme of DBS, they just want it to be part of canon. For what? People may consider new Broly to be better character, but that movie is completely out of place for Super lore, it feels like outdated story that shouldn't take place in DBS times. You have two god saiyans struggling against regular guy that barely fought in his life and couldn't even turn SSJ. And somehow people do not complain about that as long as it's canon, yet complained about OG Broly trashing everyone, despite him using actually superior form and having bigger experience in fight.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:32 am

No.

I can't think of any non-canon character from the Movies or GT who would be a worthwhile addition to the Canon cast. They are all very generic and forgettable.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:37 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:31 am
On that note, Toriyama technically did give GT his stamp of approval with his letter for the GT Dragon Box https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... ama-intro/. Not as canon or as a part of his vision, but as a grand side-story to it; in other words, he's giving it validation just for being an official Dragon Ball product, although "side story" implies you can just take it or leave it in relation to his story. Where your take confuses me a bit regarding GT is this: when was it ever an official continuation, as far as being Toriyama's official continuation? It was always just Toei's attempt at an ending, and he had next-to-no involvement. GT wasn't further invalidated by Super being the current product; it was always treated as optional following EoZ, as nothing in it affects anything in OG DB+Z. I mean, yes, it was treated as the official anime continuation and franchise ending for awhile, but fans have been arguing about its canonicity for years, long before Super was even a thing. Fans just argue about it more with the advent of Super, but its level of "significance" is something that has always been debated.
A pat on the back note saying, "I wouldn't have done it, but got job, guys," is not really the same. And your comments about GT are just as valid for Broli and Gogeta. But, those were made into canon. So, I guess fans might naturally wonder if GT--or elements of it--could get the same treatment. After all, Toriyama did design a lot of the early characters, etc.

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:29 am
That's kinda sad fandom has become like this. People care more about some irrelevant canon than quality. They do not mind rehashing things and tons of fanservice as long as it's "canon" even though such word was never even used. It was the same with Gogeta. I didn't see much people just happy seeing Gogeta in last movie, they were happy because "he is canon now".

And what's also sad it that people want SSJ4 in canon. Why? Form that is already beloved by community as it is to be completely rewritten only to feel a bit more official? Like no one cares about execution or a fact it won't even fit entire god theme of DBS, they just want it to be part of canon. For what? People may consider new Broly to be better character, but that movie is completely out of place for Super lore, it feels like outdated story that shouldn't take place in DBS times. You have two god saiyans struggling against regular guy that barely fought in his life and couldn't even turn SSJ. And somehow people do not complain about that as long as it's canon, yet complained about OG Broly trashing everyone, despite him using actually superior form and having bigger experience in fight.
Fans care about what they're given. Yes, it's sad that so many people thought the next movie might dig up something from the past, but that's what the series conditioned people to expect. Since the Return of Freeza movie, the series did a lot of fan service and the last movie did what so many people thought would never happen. It's not the fans' fault that the series is being taken down the path that it's being taken down.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:39 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:20 am
I guess lots of people want to get that stamp of approval from the creator instead of having a piece of the franchise that they like be on the level of well-funded fanfiction. There is something to be said for being official. And while you might not care about that, lots of people do. And it brings me back to my point that taking a person "but it exists" does nothing to appease that feeling. Whether you understand that feeling or not, you apparently see it all over the place, so there's merit to it.
But it's not well funded fan fiction. I saw a ton of people incredibly happy that The Flash multiverse making "it all count" as though those things didn't matter unless its some part of something bigger. When we say "it's on the shelf" we aren't saying it's on the level of well funded fanfiction. We're saying it's there to be enjoyed regardless because that's what it all is there for. Whether it's canon or not, the whole point of ANY of this is to be enjoyed whether it's stand alone or canon, or even fan fiction.
Fans care about what they're given. Yes, it's sad that so many people thought the next movie might dig up something from the past, but that's what the series conditioned people to expect. Since the Return of Freeza movie, the series did a lot of fan service and the last movie did what so many people thought would never happen. It's not the fans' fault that the series is being taken down the path that it's being taken down.
By the same token, the powers that be are trying to give fans what they want. There's a little bit of chicken and egg going on.
Superhero will be digging up the past in a not altogether different way, just with the Red Ribbon Army this time.
To be fair, every DB series has some Red Ribbon connection.