Should non canon characters become canon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Should non canon characters become canon?

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:29 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:38 am Since the new movie is very close to the End of Z (Pan is no longer a baby), it's actually looking very likely that Super will replace GT as the Canonical sequel to DBZ.
Until Super actually goes past EoZ, it's forever a "midquel" since it doesn't follow the story's ending. Whether the writers will ever decide to continue past EoZ (and whether it'll be called Super or something else) while following the Super continuity remains to be seen.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:40 pm

Can you imagine the uproar if the exact opposite happens... Toriyama ends whatever "final" Super project with the Pilaf Gang unwittingly wishing to become old again while somehow wiping everyone's memories of the past however many years, leaving the door open for GT to be redeclared possibly-canon-ish until further notice.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:48 pm

It's pretty obvious that they are setting up Pan and Uub as major characters/new main characters, especially with the reveal that Uub has God Ki in him. Not just God ki, but an "enormous/absurd amount of God ki" (as stated by Vegeta), which allowed him to give Goku the edge in the fight. Obvious MC set-up. And obviously, this means that Super will go beyond the End of Z.

As for the name, there's literally 0 reason as to why Super should change name.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:53 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:48 pm It's pretty obvious that they are setting up Pan and Uub as major characters/new main characters, especially with the reveal that Uub has God Ki in him. Not just God ki, but an "enormous/absurd amount of God ki" (as stated by Vegeta), which allowed him to give Goku the edge in the fight. Obvious MC set-up.

As for the name, there's literally 0 reason as to why Super should change name.
If the plan is for Pan and Oob to take over as the new main characters, then a name change sounds like it would be necessary for marketing and branding purposes.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:38 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:29 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:38 am Since the new movie is very close to the End of Z (Pan is no longer a baby), it's actually looking very likely that Super will replace GT as the Canonical sequel to DBZ.
Until Super actually goes past EoZ, it's forever a "midquel" since it doesn't follow the story's ending. Whether the writers will ever decide to continue past EoZ (and whether it'll be called Super or something else) while following the Super continuity remains to be seen.
Nnnnnnnnnno, the correct word is "interquel", meaning it's an installment in a series of works set chronologically between two of its predecessors.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:50 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:38 pm Nnnnnnnnnno, the correct word is "interquel", meaning it's an installment in a series of works set chronologically between two of its predecessors.
Yeah, that. That's what Super is as a whole, even if it's going up to EoZ. We can predict whatever comes next, but for now we don't know what form it will take.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.