Bea's GT Viewing Experience

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Bea's GT Viewing Experience

Post by BeaBumby » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:17 pm

Hiya! So I just started watching Dragon Ball GT, (4 episodes in) which is weird since I haven't finished Kai, maybe I should go back and finish that first.

ANYWAY! So far I'm quite enjoying it. This may be an unpopular opinion but I enjoy the comedy, maybe cuz I'm a little kiddy kiddo. And strangely my favorite character so far is Trunks, it's funny when he's pissed which is most of the time.

The blue water VAs are pretty neat, maybe not the best at delivery but the voices themselves fit the characters enough. My favorite is, again, Trunks. Probably why I enjoy the character a ton so far. It's a shame I've heard he appears less and less as the series goes on.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Bea's GT Viewing Experience

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:54 pm

If you're enjoying GT now, hopefully you'll continue enjoying it. :) I honestly enjoy the first arc too, as weak as it is. The Baby saga afterwards I really enjoy, and I love the concepts in the Shadow Dragon arc. Mostly I enjoy it aesthetically, along with the music and the greater focus on family as a theme.

Happy journeys!
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:33 am

Should I finish Kai first (I'm at the Android saga) before continuing GT?
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:39 am

BeaBumby wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:33 am Should I finish Kai first (I'm at the Android saga) before continuing GT?
Entirely up to you, honestly. Maybe you can alternate between them. I'm not sure that finishing one before the other will affect your experience either way.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:04 am

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I think the only real thing that you'd have to know from Z/Kai before stepping into GT (almost said "stepping into the Grand Tour," which you might not get, as that was erased from Funimation history) is what happens with Oob in the last episode, and the relationship between Mr. Satan, Boo, etc. But, it should be alright. I think the story is pretty easy to figure out from context (spoiler alert: Boo can absprb people). But yeah, you'll get it all down. If not, Google.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:58 am

It would be better to finish Kai imo, as Buu saga/End of Z introduces some characters that appear in GT, although you should still understand story without that, it might just feel like watching Z before original series and seeing all those characters like Tenshinhan appearing.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:57 am

BeaBumby wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:33 am Should I finish Kai first (I'm at the Android saga) before continuing GT?
If you’re familiar enough with the rest of the story, No there’s no reason to watch. Was this your first time watching Dragon Ball Z or Kai or did you watch the series back when it was tv in the early 2000s?

If you’re familiar enough with the rest of Z/Kai you’ll live watching the rest of Kai when you’re feeling it.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:07 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:57 am
If you’re familiar enough with the rest of the story, No there’s no reason to watch. Was this your first time watching Dragon Ball Z or Kai or did you watch the series back when it was tv in the early 2000s?

If you’re familiar enough with the rest of Z/Kai you’ll live watching the rest of Kai when you’re feeling it.
first time, but I've been aqquainted for a bit
she/her yknow

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:22 am

BeaBumby wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:07 am
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:57 am

first time, but I've been aqquainted for a bit
Then its up to you. The story is generally broad enough it really isn’t hard to follow.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:13 am

Good to hear you're enjoying it. I think its refreshing to get a PoV from someone who's pretty much brand new to the series and is willing to give it a fair go without being overly influenced by other people's jaded views (though warranted to a degree).

I know you said you were just a kid but how old are we talking here? Just curious, if you don't mind me asking. Feel free to PM if you think its bit a too personal. Regardless, your lively energy is a welcomed addition to this small ever changing community.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:41 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:13 am Good to hear you're enjoying it. I think its refreshing to get a PoV from someone who's pretty much brand new to the series and is willing to give it a fair go without being overly influenced by other people's jaded views (though warranted to a degree).

I know you said you were just a kid but how old are we talking here? Just curious, if you don't mind me asking. Feel free to PM if you think its bit a too personal. Regardless, your lively energy is a welcomed addition to this small ever changing community.
14, I'm comfortable with saying that, as everyone else has their age public.
she/her yknow

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:13 pm

Damn, you were just being born while I was lurking on this forum looking for updates on Tenkaichi 3 lol that's funny. Anyways keep watching, enjoy it for what it is, small spoiler : look out for Goku's Oozaru transformation, its one of the best in the entire series imo.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:31 pm

I'd say keep on watching GT, you're already on the dance floor, specially if you are enjoying it, the change of pace between both shows might hurt your enjoyment.

Although you might not know some characters, most of us went through that with Z and DB, you'd be experiencing that with GT and Z to a lesser extent.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:41 pm

GT Trunks seems like a reasonable and logical grown-up version of Z Kid Trunks, to me. I like GT Trunks too, he has a cool moment or two further along in the show.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:03 pm

which episode are you currently at?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:19 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:03 pm which episode are you currently at?
as I said, 4. I can't really continue til school's over
she/her yknow

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:24 pm

I had no idea you were 14! Geez, that means I was 14 when you were born :crazy:. I'm actually pretty fascinated by new fans to Dragon Ball and how they approach the series in this modern era, without necessarily the same cynicism, biases or prejudices that long-time fans can have.

I'll amend my earlier answer a bit as well. I'd say if you're enjoying GT now, just keep going with it. If you know the general story of Z/Kai, you can always go back to it later.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:18 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:24 pm I had no idea you were 14! Geez, that means I was 14 when you were born :crazy:. I'm actually pretty fascinated by new fans to Dragon Ball and how they approach the series in this modern era, without necessarily the same cynicism, biases or prejudices that long-time fans can have.

I'll amend my earlier answer a bit as well. I'd say if you're enjoying GT now, just keep going with it. If you know the general story of Z/Kai, you can always go back to it later.
I'm sorry prejudices?
she/her yknow

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:37 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:18 pm I'm sorry prejudices?
That was moreso just a general statement. Not really speaking toward anyone here in particular, but series such as Dragon Ball have tropes. Over the years, there's certain tropes that some people aren't fans of, despite being fans of the series. Such as things like power creep or whatnot. Or like fans not liking all the new transformations in Super, or all the times the Dragon Balls are used to resurrect people. They're generally accepted with the territory, but they're also things you'll sometimes see longtime fans bemoaning.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:24 pm

Well I got to the first Super Saiyan transformation, Kid Goku looks very cool as one. Though I think the little spark of electricity implied it was a Super Saiyan 2
she/her yknow