Bea's GT Viewing Experience

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Bea's GT Viewing Experience

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:15 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:24 pm Well I got to the first Super Saiyan transformation, Kid Goku looks very cool as one. Though I think the little spark of electricity implied it was a Super Saiyan 2
In GT it's not really made clear, but despite the lightning I think he was regular Super Saiyan. Toei's never been extremely consistent with this, as there are times in Z where there's no lightning around Super Saiyan 2.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:17 pm

well I just watched the Trunks dress episodes

Personally I don't really think it's transphobic, since the joke is trunks' reaction to the dress rather than "HAHA BOY IN GIRL CLOTHE THAT WEIRD"

and tbh he looks stylish in it
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:27 am

I'm glad you're having fun with it! I like the chemistry between the main trio (and Giru) myself.
My favorite yet underappreciated part is how Pan gets to learn more about Goku while adventuring with him.
She started off thinking that "this weird little kid cannot be my grandpa!", but with time goes into appreciating him for who he is, it's a well done development.
BeaBumby wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:24 pm Well I got to the first Super Saiyan transformation, Kid Goku looks very cool as one.
One of the reasons I'm glad Goku has been turned into a kid in GT.
The SSJ form really looks great on him whenever he uses it. It's a nice mix of cool and cute :P

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:23 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:15 pm
BeaBumby wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:24 pm Well I got to the first Super Saiyan transformation, Kid Goku looks very cool as one. Though I think the little spark of electricity implied it was a Super Saiyan 2
In GT it's not really made clear, but despite the lightning I think he was regular Super Saiyan. Toei's never been extremely consistent with this, as there are times in Z where there's no lightning around Super Saiyan 2.
Toriyama didn't exactly make it easy for TOEI when they were adapting the anime or doing their own, he did admit to forgetting what Super Saiyan 2 was, and with GT, even though he didn't write it he was able to check TOEI's stories and give some advice, so if he wasn't sure what distinguishes the two forms I can't blame any other staff writers being confused.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:09 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:27 am I'm glad you're having fun with it! I like the chemistry between the main trio (and Giru) myself.
My favorite yet underappreciated part is how Pan gets to learn more about Goku while adventuring with him.
She started off thinking that "this weird little kid cannot be my grandpa!", but with time goes into appreciating him for who he is, it's a well done development.
This is my favorite dynamic in GT as well. I actually wish the entirety of GT had a greater focus on Goku and Pan's grandfather/granddaughter dynamic. That was the emotional hook of the series for me, and much more could have been done with it, especially when you consider GT's ending.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:23 am Toriyama didn't exactly make it easy for TOEI when they were adapting the anime or doing their own, he did admit to forgetting what Super Saiyan 2 was, and with GT, even though he didn't write it he was able to check TOEI's stories and give some advice, so if he wasn't sure what distinguishes the two forms I can't blame any other staff writers being confused.
I remember hearing something about that. It's pretty funny that people sometimes try using these detail "slip-ups" to invalidate GT when it was Toriyama forgetting little details like that.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:02 am

remind me to continue tomorrow
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:53 pm

I have a question for you Bea. Did you ever watch DBZKai on The CW either on Toonzai or Vortexx?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:42 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:53 pm I have a question for you Bea. Did you ever watch DBZKai on The CW either on Toonzai or Vortexx?
Nope! However I do remember watching an episode on Adult Swim sometime around 2014. It was the first Goku vs Vegeta fight, rocky background and buff Goku. Though it may not have been Kai, since I remember the channel airing both OG DBZ and Kai at the same time. Which confused me and made me believe Kai was some sort of sequel series
she/her yknow

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:54 am

I dont know how to tell you this but Toonami has never done that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:53 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:54 am I dont know how to tell you this but Toonami has never done that.
ah.
well then I am confused and somewhat scared.
she/her yknow

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 am

BeaBumby wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:53 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:54 am I dont know how to tell you this but Toonami has never done that.
ah.
Toonami did broadcast some Dragon Ball Z movies when they started airing Kai. I know the first Coola movie and first Broly movie were both ran around that time. Perhaps that is what you’re thinking of?

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:02 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 am
BeaBumby wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:53 am
ah.
Toonami did broadcast some Dragon Ball Z movies when they started airing Kai. I know the first Coola movie and first Broly movie were both ran around that time. Perhaps that is what you’re thinking of?
Maybe I misread somethin. Maybe I pressed "Guide" and the menu didn't have the full name of DBZ Kai so I got confused or somethin.

Couldn't have been a movie, I vividly remember Goku screaming "Kaio-ken!" and getting JACKED

Though I wish I did see the Coola (love that spelling) movie, always loved his design, and voice.
she/her yknow

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:08 am

BeaBumby wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:02 am

Couldn't have been a movie, I vividly remember Goku screaming "Kaio-ken!" and getting JACKED

Do you remember if he pronounced it like Kaio Ken or like Kay oh Ken? The latter is from the Z dub. If it was Kaio Ken it was from Dragon Ball Kai

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:16 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:08 am
BeaBumby wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:02 am

Do you remember if he pronounced it like Kaio Ken or like Kay oh Ken? The latter is from the Z dub. If it was Kaio Ken it was from Dragon Ball Kai
hmmmmm
unfortunately I don't remember specifically, though there's a good chance I WAS watching Kai.
she/her yknow

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:26 pm

heh
lord luud
gehehhehehehwhhwhwn

anyway they introduced Dr. Myuu, so that means BABYS COMIN WUHAH
she/her yknow

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:09 am

What did you think of the lord lood episodes?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:24 am

PurestEvil wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:09 am What did you think of the lord lood episodes?
I liked em :]
The monkey guy's a creep but Pan and everyone else beat him up so s'all good. Hearing Pan say "dude" feels weird though.
she/her yknow

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:56 am

Well I’m glad you aren’t disappointed. I believe the Lord Lood episodes are among the least popular among fans.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:15 am

I like Lood/Luud episodes, i think they're fine. The worst part of first arc are episodes 7-10 imo which is Zoonama and chasing Para bros episodes. Once they get to Lood planet it gets good again.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:59 am

Alrighty! Onto episode 15! That one guy said it's a crucial episode with character development

(EDIT NOW THAT I'VE SEEN IT: Ay that was pretty nice! I was waiting for Pan to grow more as a character, and that swimming scene at the end was cute :]
she/her yknow