Dragon Ball Manga Deluxe Edition

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

wolffangfisting

Dragon Ball Manga Deluxe Edition

Post by wolffangfisting » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:34 pm

I see more and more manga being released in nice hardcover larger books as deluxe or collectors editions. Do you think Dragon Ball will get rereleased in a larger hardcover format? I’m disappointed Viz never finished the full color releases in English.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Dragon Ball Manga Deluxe Edition

Post by theoriginalbilis » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:00 pm

The problem with Dragon Ball is that it's been re-released so many times in English compared to other manga. Viz more-or-less rivals FUNimation in their number of DB releases:

single issues (aka "monthlies")
Viz SJ graphic novels
VizBigs
3-in-1s
Full Color
Digital purchases/streaming

The closest one we've gotten to a "Deluxe Edition" release are those lovely Full Color books (larger size, higher quality paper, etc). But I wonder if they even sold well. It'd be nice to at least get the Z-era completed. Perhaps it's a combination of digital services on the rise and Super being the new hotness are why original DB is on the back burner.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:36 pm

This is something I've thought about as well. As much as DBZ is milked, I feel like it'll happen down the line. I'd prefer Viz finish releasing the full color manga in the US though, as well as release the Full Color "Boyhood Arcs" by some miracle.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:46 pm

Only release I'd like to see is somthing similar to the anniversary editions of the Manga from Japan (even if it's not a 1/1 replica of the original printings)
ImageImage

Including all the little extras

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:36 am

It's possible, but knowing how Dragon Ball releases are handled in America I'm gonna say no. Unless by some miracle we get a Dragon Box situation where we get a one to one localized release of a deluxe Japanese product directly from the source. Even then there's still the elephant in the room of Viz refusing to update their old translations, and Vizisms. (Vegerot, faux-Shakespeare Piccolo)
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:50 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:36 am It's possible, but knowing how Dragon Ball releases are handled in America I'm gonna say no. Unless by some miracle we get a Dragon Box situation where we get a one to one localized release of a deluxe Japanese product directly from the source. Even then there's still the elephant in the room of Viz refusing to update their old translations, and Vizisms. (Vegerot, faux-Shakespeare Piccolo)
Or "viz"usal censorship as well as using their censored translation

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:21 am

It's something I dream about.

Coming from the perspective of an American comic collector it's difficult for me to understand why it has not happened.

The Berserk Deluxe Editions are a thing of beauty, and the reason they exist is because the license is held by an American comic book publisher.

Yes the series has been released a thousand times, but how many releases have it had that are specifically aimed at a collector's market? Zero.

Not only does Dragon Ball deserve such treatment just on its own merit, the child-unfriendly price point would offer a perfect opportunity to finally release a definitive translation, getting rid of all the stupid shit from 25 years ago and dumping the goofy Vizisms. The fact that the original writer of the English adaptation is now a convicted pedophile just adds more incentive.

Viz has the original 42 volumes out as the standard release, the 14 Vizbigs as a "deluxe" release, the 14 3-in-1s as a budget release, and the aborted Full Color releases, all of which are in pretty much the same price hemisphere.

A line of fourteen $50 books (or, in my own ideal mapping, a line of nine $75 books) would be a Godsend for us and a moneymaker for Viz.

But I'm sure they'd find a way to screw it all up anyway.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:41 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:36 am It's possible, but knowing how Dragon Ball releases are handled in America I'm gonna say no. Unless by some miracle we get a Dragon Box situation where we get a one to one localized release of a deluxe Japanese product directly from the source. Even then there's still the elephant in the room of Viz refusing to update their old translations, and Vizisms. (Vegerot, faux-Shakespeare Piccolo)
What’s faux Shakespeare Piccolo?

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:49 am

Aim wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:41 am
This is from the Kanzenshuu review of vol 1 of the FULL COLOR manga release of Z. Skip to the presentation section to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/reviews/viz- ... arc-vol-1/

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:42 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:49 am
Aim wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:41 am
This is from the Kanzenshuu review of vol 1 of the FULL COLOR manga release of Z. Skip to the presentation section to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/reviews/viz- ... arc-vol-1/
Oh my god. Why do they do this? Like, surely they have enough resources to do a clean up? Jesus.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:51 am

KorgDTR2000 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:21 am The fact that the original writer of the English adaptation is now a convicted pedophile just adds more incentive.
Wait, what?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:31 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:51 am
KorgDTR2000 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:21 am The fact that the original writer of the English adaptation is now a convicted pedophile just adds more incentive.
Wait, what?
https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2017/01/07/a ... y-charges/

He was later convicted.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::