Favorite and least favorite couples?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Favorite and least favorite couples?

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:21 am

I'm also--surprise, surprise--a big fan of Kale and Caulifla. It's a rare sight for Dragon Ball to have sustained Sapphic vibes and to also build so many episodes of a major story arc around them. It's really refreshing to see a Sapphic couple but also a Sapphic couple that gets to challenge the main character and hold their own without turning into a throwaway gag. There's also just so much more potential to see the two characters grow after the Tournament of Power!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:15 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:17 am I will say that Vegeta and Bulma are a bit of a dark horse couple for me. I only get annoyed with the couple whenever people try to use it to say "Vegeta's a better husband/father than Goku." But first off, Trunks being their son is one of my favorite twists Toriyama wrote. It's perfectly set-up, making him mysterious while presenting all of the visual cues to let us know he's their son (cocky attitude resembles Vegeta, along with his smirk, and he turns Super Saiyan, plus the purple hair, blue eyes, and Capsule Corp logo on his jacket). Also, I feel like someone as intelligent and spirited/confident as Bulma is the perfect counterbalance to Vegeta's ego. Yamcha and Bulma were never going to work out, and as much as I love Yamcha, the plot twist that Bulma hooked up with the guy who killed him (technically) is hilarious and classic Toriyama to me. I also think it's funny that Yamcha goes from being terrified of girls to being a ladies man, yet despite being the clear "heartthrob" of the Z senshi, he never settles down with anyone.

Also, I've said it before, but I love the brief dynamic of Baby Vegeta and Evil Mad Scientist Bulma in GT. I like the "What-If" idea of Bulma being an evil scientist, ruling alongside an evil Vegeta, conquering the universe together. If Bulma didn't care about her family and friends, and if Vegeta had never turned heel, it would be possible. Their relationship just has the right "fireworks," and I doubt Yamcha and Bulma staying together would have ever been that interesting.
I like that it starts off a little more realistic - no story about them falling for each other so it's more palatable for a kid's comic, they just hooked up and surprise, here's a kid!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:29 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:15 am I like that it starts off a little more realistic - no story about them falling for each other so it's more palatable for a kid's comic, they just hooked up and surprise, here's a kid!
I totally agree. I like the casual flirtation filler the anime added in to lead into it (once we had learned about Future Trunks), but in the manga it's pretty hilarious and realistic how, bam, three years have passed and they've suddenly got a kid together, no strings attached, like you said. It's pretty clear they were both just looking for a good time. Which furthermore goes to why I don't mind that Yamcha and Bulma never ended up together; she was never good to him, and how many people end up with their first boyfriends/girlfriends anyway? The ones who do usually don't work out (not saying they never do but I'm sure it's rare).
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:08 am

Bulma and Vegeta work because they're both narcissists who deserve each other.

It makes sense to me that Yamcha never settled down. It fits with his "lone wolf" persona. I think that women are probably just too much trouble for him. At least we know that Yamcha was probably still dating from time to time after Bulma. In the Cell Saga I think he wanted Shenlong to help him pay for a necklace for his girlfriend or something.