Favorite and least favorite couples?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Favorite and least favorite couples?

Post by Kappa » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:56 pm

My faves are:
Goten &Valese
Gohan & Videl

My least favorite:
Trunks & Mai
Last edited by Kappa on Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Favorite and least favorite couples?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:58 pm

Gohan & Videl
Goku & Chichi

Least favorite?
Also Trunks x Mai, that was just cringe.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:02 pm

Favorites:

Gohan & Videl
18 & Krillin
Tenshinhan & Lunch (I know they weren't shown to be a couple, but I liked the dynamic, and that both states of Lunch seemed to like Ten)

I like Goten in GT being a ladies man in general, but him and Valese were pretty cool together.

Least Favorite:

Same as yours, Trunks & Mai
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:07 pm

Going to be edgy and say I like Trunks and Mai because it's fucking weird and the Future Trunks arc was really cute for them as a couple.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:29 pm

Mai was an adult in the original Dragonball lmao, she must have been way older than Future Trunks in his timeline,
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:33 pm

My favorite has got to be either Gohan and Videl or Krillin and 18. Their interactions are always so adorable.

Trunks and Mai is my least favorite, but only by default. I am not weirded out by it that much.

Hot take: I found Yamcha and Bulma to be a bit more endearing than Vegeta and Bulma. Maybe it's because of Vegeta's coldness.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:33 pm

I'm glad Trunks × Mai is generally viewed as freakin bubonic
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:36 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:33 pm I'm glad Trunks × Mai is generally viewed as freakin bubonic
Ah yes, the Trunks X Mai ship is definitely one of the main sources of the bubonic plague...(?)
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:37 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:36 pm
BeaBumby wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:33 pm I'm glad Trunks × Mai is generally viewed as freakin bubonic
Ah yes, the Trunks X Mai ship is definitely one of the main sources of the bubonic plague...(?)
not literally
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:43 pm

omaro34 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:29 pm Mai was an adult in the original Dragonball lmao, she must have been way older than Future Trunks in his timeline,
So 30 year old men can't date 60 year old women?
She/Her
bisexual milf

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:17 pm

RIP best ship: Yamcha and Bulma.

Worst ship? Probably like... Honestly, Goku and Chi-Chi. Their actual sweet relationship moments are few and far between.

Personally I didn't find Future Trunks and Mai at all weird, it was the present version that was highly sus.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:43 pm
omaro34 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:29 pm Mai was an adult in the original Dragonball lmao, she must have been way older than Future Trunks in his timeline,
The inkling of them being a couple started when Trunks was a kid.... That, and I doubt once Trunks was legal, Mai bothered to say "You know, that time when we were going steady as kids? Yeah, I was really a 40-year-old in a little girl's body."
Personally I didn't find Future Trunks and Mai at all weird, it was the present version that was highly sus.
Maybe I missed something, but I just assumed that Mai in the Trunks arc was similarly de-aged at some point. Even if that isn't the case, them being pushed as an "item" in the Trunks arc isn't something I like due to the nature of their pairing in the first place. I don't view it as a cougar empowerment pairing at all.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:45 pm

Favorite: Bulma and Yamcha, it's just a shame they ended up being such a toxic couple but frankly that seemed to come more from Bulma's end and her (especially in the original series) irrational bouts of jealousy when Yamcha even so much as associated with another girl besides her even if just a casual manner.

Least favorite: Vegeta and Bulma, because it seems Bulma puts more effort into the relationship than Vegeta does and he is never really affectionate with her much if any (at least not the way you would expect a married or otherwise couple to be) and that's because he's a Saiyan and thus that sort of thing was not something he grew up knowing. Funny how they more or less got together through a one night stand and it was literally done that way so Toriyama could explain Trunks' story. I honestly don't think they go together all that well really.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:16 pm

He can. But Mai in BoG was already in romance with kid Trunks and she's old woman in child's body. That's pedophilia. There is no reason for her mind to be different, she didn't revert time, she just got younger body. It is only slightly better in future since they are both adult, but it's still weird as hell as she's lying to him. He clearly doesn't know he's dating old woman and criminal.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:00 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:16 pm
He can. But Mai in BoG was already in romance with kid Trunks and she's old woman in child's body. That's pedophilia. There is no reason for her mind to be different, she didn't revert time, she just got younger body. It is only slightly better in future since they are both adult, but it's still weird as hell as she's lying to him. He clearly doesn't know he's dating old woman and criminal.
I'm talking about the Future couple.

We don't know if Trunks knows or does not know about Mai's past at all, do we? Furthermore, she isn't obligated to tell anyone her age. They're getting along just fine, either way.

I'm all for calling the relationship between the Present Trunks and Mai inappropriate for a kid's series. Someone should have excluded that idea for cartoons and comics aimed at kids.
She/Her
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:52 pm

I mean, its gotta be Gohan and Videl almost by default, right? Besides that, I like the crackpot nature of Bulma and Vegetas relationship.

As far as least favorite, Bulma and Yamcha because of how shitty Bulma is to him
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:04 pm

Yeah I think my favorite is Gohan and Videl too! Look at them as Saiyamans, so cyoot!
she/her yknow

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:33 pm

Bardock and Gine, as well as Mira and Towa.

Not that I care much about this, but if I have anything to say about "least favorite couple" is Trunks and Mai in the present. If only and at least they were depicted as proper teenagers... But visually, it's kids dating (that is, assuming Mai became a baby in AGE 767, like her future self did).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:12 pm

My favorites are probably Kuririn/18 and Goku/Chichi.

I enjoyed Goten/Palace in GT.

I don't mind Chibi Trunks and Mai, cuz it's cute.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:17 am

I will say that Vegeta and Bulma are a bit of a dark horse couple for me. I only get annoyed with the couple whenever people try to use it to say "Vegeta's a better husband/father than Goku." But first off, Trunks being their son is one of my favorite twists Toriyama wrote. It's perfectly set-up, making him mysterious while presenting all of the visual cues to let us know he's their son (cocky attitude resembles Vegeta, along with his smirk, and he turns Super Saiyan, plus the purple hair, blue eyes, and Capsule Corp logo on his jacket). Also, I feel like someone as intelligent and spirited/confident as Bulma is the perfect counterbalance to Vegeta's ego. Yamcha and Bulma were never going to work out, and as much as I love Yamcha, the plot twist that Bulma hooked up with the guy who killed him (technically) is hilarious and classic Toriyama to me. I also think it's funny that Yamcha goes from being terrified of girls to being a ladies man, yet despite being the clear "heartthrob" of the Z senshi, he never settles down with anyone.

Also, I've said it before, but I love the brief dynamic of Baby Vegeta and Evil Mad Scientist Bulma in GT. I like the "What-If" idea of Bulma being an evil scientist, ruling alongside an evil Vegeta, conquering the universe together. If Bulma didn't care about her family and friends, and if Vegeta had never turned heel, it would be possible. Their relationship just has the right "fireworks," and I doubt Yamcha and Bulma staying together would have ever been that interesting.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.