Should Canon Characters become Non Canon?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Should Canon Characters become Non Canon?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:05 pm

I mean really! Think of the potential! :mrgreen: Fuck Trunks, let Yamcha marry Bulma.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Should Canon Characters become Non Canon?

Post by Dr. Casey » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:22 pm

It would have been nice if Toriyama gave Yamcha some throwaway character as a girlfriend/wife during the Buu Saga at least.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:40 pm

Flashpoint: The Dragon Ball Edition

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:52 pm

-Deleted- lol
Last edited by Kappa on Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:54 pm

Pretty sure this is a joke post, but I'm not sure it works that way. I also really wouldn't want to see any Flashpoint-type story in Dragon Ball.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:09 am

This could potentially be interesting, if certain characters were to be written out of existence. With the multiverse being a series concept, it becomes that much more likely of a possibility. Imagine if some of the characters that have always been around suddenly were erased away. How would the story unfold moving forward? Or if existing characters had elements of their backstories revised, maybe even merged together with one another. How would this shape the future of the series?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:23 am

Fuck that Muten Roushi guy. All my girls hate Muten Roushi.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:06 am

Just let Beerus Hakai them lol
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:58 am

From a certain point of view, it could be said that the entire Future timeline... has become non-canon :think:

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:38 am

Imagine if they made all of Super non-canon.

Pilaf finds the Dragon Balls. He casually wishes that Goku never met that Beerus guy because he's a jerk.

Cut to the new timeline. The Frieza Force can't find the Dragon Balls because they're stone. Pilaf kids wished to be "older" that year. Moro and his entire army are defeated by the Para Bros. And New Namek is revived by King Kai making a collect call to Earth.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:08 pm

Making something non-canon can't happen within the story. If a timeline is overwritten or erased by a character or wish, then it still happened in the story, ergo it's canon. The way you make it non-canon is you act like it didn't happen and outright contradict it, like getting rid of Donna's sister on That '70s Show or the final season of Will & Grace.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:11 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:08 pm Making something non-canon can't happen within the story. If a timeline is overwritten or erased by a character or wish, then it still happened in the story, ergo it's canon. The way you make it non-canon is you act like it didn't happen and outright contradict it, like getting rid of Donna's sister on That '70s Show or the final season of Will & Grace.
I am certain this is a joke thread
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:16 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:11 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:08 pm Making something non-canon can't happen within the story. If a timeline is overwritten or erased by a character or wish, then it still happened in the story, ergo it's canon. The way you make it non-canon is you act like it didn't happen and outright contradict it, like getting rid of Donna's sister on That '70s Show or the final season of Will & Grace.
I am certain this is a joke thread
I know it is, but I don't know if anyone thinks that's how it happens.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:36 pm

Its a serious thread with a comedic bent. I wouldnt dare make a joke thread and get banned that way lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:36 pm

Should Canon Threads become Non Canon?
She/Her
bisexual milf

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:43 pm

That's the whole idea. The timeline or character would be erased, and from that point on it never happened and is contradicted. Those previous elements would be rendered non-canon and the story would ignore them moving forward. You can do that within the story itself.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:54 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:43 pm
That's the whole idea. The timeline or character would be erased, and from that point on it never happened and is contradicted. Those previous elements would be rendered non-canon and the story would ignore them moving forward. You can do that within the story itself.
It also leads to a mess. That's why all of the resets in the DC universe eventually end up being labeled different earths instead of being rendered non-canon.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:20 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:54 pm It also leads to a mess. That's why all of the resets in the DC universe eventually end up being labeled different earths instead of being rendered non-canon.
It doesn't have to lead to a mess. DC Comics lost its way over the last couple of decades, but that fate is avoidable when you have competent and capable people in charge who know not to over complicate things. Besides, manga/anime is different from superhero comic books. Just keep things simple and be upfront with the audience.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:33 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:20 pm
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:54 pm It also leads to a mess. That's why all of the resets in the DC universe eventually end up being labeled different earths instead of being rendered non-canon.
It doesn't have to lead to a mess. DC Comics lost its way over the last couple of decades, but that fate is avoidable when you have competent and capable people in charge who know not to over complicate things. Besides, manga/anime is different from superhero comic books. Just keep things simple and be upfront with the audience.
Alternate canon realities are not simple. We already have time travel and the multiverse in Dragon Ball as is. Any "canon rebooting/different earths" needs to stay with American comics, and it's annoying there. There is absolutely nothing of value that would come from this. "Keeping it simple" would be just continuing as is with a linear storyline.

EDIT: What ABED said was valid. Even if a timeline is erased, it still happened in the story. That's not how something is made "not canon."
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:34 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:54 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:43 pm
It also leads to a mess. That's why all of the resets in the DC universe eventually end up being labeled different earths instead of being rendered non-canon.
That kind of works for DC, though. Albeit, I think the creation of the current Earth-0 wasn't handled the best (I really liked the early Rebirth Superman stuff before Superman Reborn).
She/Her
bisexual milf