Why did the early Westwood dub never air in Canada?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Why did the early Westwood dub never air in Canada?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:47 pm

This is one of those things that I've noticed really confuses people about the Westwood dub, and is probably largely to blame for the misconception that AB Groupe produced it.

It's relatively well known that YTV was getting frustrated with Funimation sending materials late to Canada, and eventually parted ways with them, never looking back. Although, oddly enough while the Ocean Group did produce their own TV edit of all the episodes of Funimation's dub that aired on YTV (including the inhouse stuff) the edited version of Z episodes 108-167 produced by Westwood Media featuring the Ocean cast mysteriously made its way to the UK, Ireland and the Netherlands but never aired in Canada even on reruns.

Has anyone ever been able to get an explanation for this? It always seemed odd because YTV would have had to pay Funimation royalties for the Faulconer Productions score when they reran those episodes. Or would it have been more expensive for them to double dip on the Westwood versions and that's why they just kept the inhouse episodes they bought originally?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Gilby1385
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Why did the early Westwood dub never air in Canada?

Post by Gilby1385 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:30 am

I read somewhere on a YouTube comment that YTV had already bought the FUNimation dubbed versions of episodes 108-167 by the time the Westwood dub was in production.
Come out, come out, wherever you are! I see you! Well, it was worth a try.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:47 pm

That sounds like the most plausible explanation. It's long been thought that AB Groupe created the Westwood dub, largely because the information the webmasters of the (now defunct) UKDB site were able to gather back in the early 2000s from interviewing the voice actors and calling locations in Vancouver was lost to time when the website closed down and the production of the Westwood dub reverted back to being this big mystery for most fans. Luckily a veteran of these forums knew the guys behind that website, and he was able to confirm AB's only involvement with the Westwood dub was distributing it to TV channels and providing video masters for the last 4 episodes of Dragon Ball Z, so taking AB out of the equation YTV may have been more patient than they let on (given Cartoon Network in the UK, Ireland and Holland were so much quicker to jump) and only gave up working with Funimation when episode 168 rolled around.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:52 pm

Might be a weird thing like how Powerpuff Girls Z's dub never aired there, despite being recorded there.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 pm

Was the first YTV aired episode the one Kirby Morrow made his debut it? I know Peter Kelamis said the real reason he stopped voicing Goku was there another halt in production and he didn’t want to wait around to maybe have another job again.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:47 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 pm Was the first YTV aired episode the one Kirby Morrow made his debut it? I know Peter Kelamis said the real reason he stopped voicing Goku was there another halt in production and he didn’t want to wait around to maybe have another job again.
No Kirby's first episode was the one were Gohan first goes SS1 in the Time Chamber. I don't think Canada switched until halfway through the Cell Games.

I've always found it strange that Peter said there was another halt in production, as Kirby's first episode aired immediately after Peter's last on Cartoon Network UK. Most of the Westwood dub aired pretty quickly actually, with mostly short periods of reruns before the new saga. The exception would be the Fusion saga, which took longer to air in the UK and initially used Funimation's dub. If there was a temporary halt in production the end of the Fat Buu saga would have been my first guess.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:34 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:47 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 pm Was the first YTV aired episode the one Kirby Morrow made his debut it? I know Peter Kelamis said the real reason he stopped voicing Goku was there another halt in production and he didn’t want to wait around to maybe have another job again.
No Kirby's first episode was the one were Gohan first goes SS1 in the Time Chamber. I don't think Canada switched until halfway through the Cell Games.

I've always found it strange that Peter said there was another halt in production, as Kirby's first episode aired immediately after Peter's last on Cartoon Network UK. Most of the Westwood dub aired pretty quickly actually, with mostly short periods of reruns before the new saga. The exception would be the Fusion saga, which took longer to air in the UK and initially used Funimation's dub. If there was a temporary halt in production the end of the Fat Buu saga would have been my first guess.
How long was it between the last Funimation studios episode in the UK and the first Westwood dub?

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:03 am

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:47 pm

Usually for long running anime, companies just buy the rights to localize a set chunk of episodes. (At least back then, I don't know how it works now) We weren't there, but my best guess is that Kelamis probably finished production on the episodes AB bought when he was still working with them, and the audience just didn't notice because by the time it was airing his episodes a new production could have begun on more. Hence why Morrow's episodes aired so soon after Kelamis left.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:34 pm How long was it between the last Funimation studios episode in the UK and the first Westwood dub?
I want to say episode 107 (were Trunks warns Goku about the Androids) aired around September 2000, and we didn't get the next episode until around March or April 2001. I think that's about right. It was definitely the longest I remember waiting for a new saga. They kept jumping back to Raditz, and I remember watching Goku vs Frieza a bunch of times between the regular reruns and marathons CN UK used to have.

Once the Android saga had aired they restarted the saga and reran it twice before we got Cell. We got the Imperfect Cell saga along with the Perfect Cell saga in one batch. Then after a couple more reruns we got the Cell Games all the way to Supreme Kai telling everyone about Buu.

A short while after this we got the Babidi and Fat Buu sagas, which were the last episodes to debut on Cartoon Network before the move to CNX. After this it felt like a longer wait for the Fusion saga, which ended up using Funimation's dub for it's first few runs on CNX from October 2002. I remember it being around late November/early December when the Westwood Fusion saga replaced the Funimation version in circulation.

It's interesting how the Westwood dub made a huge jump in quality at this time, with lots of new music finally introduced, and better performances. Perhaps they really did have more time to work on these episodes.

Not long after the switch back to Ocean we started getting promos for Kid Buu, which aired in January 2003 (ahead of the US for the first time). GT aired immediately after Z ended here; the final Westwood episode even has the narrator mention GT.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:19 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:35 pmIt's interesting how the Westwood dub made a huge jump in quality at this time, with lots of new music finally introduced, and better performances. Perhaps they really did have more time to work on these episodes.
Something I learned in recent years is that in December 2002 Don Brown was interviewed by the owners of the old UKDB site and confirmed he had finished recording the final four episodes of the Westwood dub the week before. Given the timeframe it seems very likely the reason CNX originally aired the Funimation dub was to give Ocean more time to get their dub done. Interestingly enough Don Brown also said in the same interview producers told him international audiences weren't happy with Funimation's recast and wanted the original Ocean cast back. I'm skeptical about this rumour given the fact not too soon after when GT came around the Ocean cast were yet again dumped, this time for the Blue Water cast. Although since Cartoon Network UK, unlike YTV went the extra mile to rerun episodes they'd already aired in Funimation's dub with Ocean on CNX and Toonami UK I wonder if they were on bad terms with Funimation and tried to spin the whole "international audiences didn't like the Texas cast" narrative amongst the Westwood producers because it doesn't really make sense considering how much they flip flopped between dubs and didn't even buy an available dub of DBZ movies 1-3 with the Ocean cast.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:50 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:52 pm Might be a weird thing like how Powerpuff Girls Z's dub never aired there, despite being recorded there.
The vast majority of anime dubbed in English-speaking Canada has never aired on Canadian television. Powerpuff Girls Z's dub isn't any more weird than other things produced for foreign markets. Bang Zoom is an American company. Their dub of Dragon Ball Super will likely never be released in the U.S.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:08 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:19 pm I'm skeptical about this rumour given the fact not too soon after when GT came around the Ocean cast were yet again dumped, this time for the Blue Water cast.
The only advantage I can think of for the switch to Calgary for GT is that it was probably being worked on alongside the final Vancouver Z episodes. This allowed it to air immediately after, and also possibly took some pressure off the Vancouver cast for those final episodes, which could be also have contributed to the jump in quality. It's actually a real shame in the long run though, as the Westwood dub had finally hit its stride and could have potentially been great for GT.
Although since Cartoon Network UK, unlike YTV went the extra mile to rerun episodes they'd already aired in Funimation's dub with Ocean on CNX and Toonami UK I wonder if they were on bad terms with Funimation and tried to spin the whole "international audiences didn't like the Texas cast" narrative amongst the Westwood producers because it doesn't really make sense considering how much they flip flopped between dubs and didn't even buy an available dub of DBZ movies 1-3 with the Ocean cast.
I've often wondered about Cartoon Network UK's relationship with Funimation. It's interesting how they never licensed the Pioneer Ocean Movie Trilogy, and instead opted for the Big Green dub, which is a choice no fan would have made at the time. The former featured the Vancouver cast, but would have meant dealing with Funimation as it was their product, so perhaps you're onto something.

On the other hand they did continue to show reruns of Funimation episodes 54-107 for years after replacing their Fusion saga. I know there was no Ocean version of them episodes, but it does beg the question why the Westwood dub didn't simply start from 54.

I've always assumed the Funimation Fusion saga was always supposed to temporary, as CNX would mostly still use the Canadian opening for it, with only the occasional use of Faulconer's opening by accident. I've also wondered if they simply got the Ocean Fusion and Kid Buu sagas as one big batch, as the promos for the Kid Buu started airing shortly after the switch back to Ocean.

The Fusion saga is also a relatively small batch of episodes, compared to the much larger amount of Funimation episodes YTV aired prior to switching. Perhaps YTV simply thought it wasn't worth it, and also maybe didn't want to change stuff that had already aired.

Fans can also get attached to watching certain scenes with certain actors and music, which might be why they chose not to switch the dub for already aired episodes. Every country that got the Westwood dub had Funimation 54-107 for at least several months prior, which might also be why Ocean never bothered dubbing them episodes. In Canada's case it was an even longer run with Funimation prior to the switch.

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:26 pm

Dragon Ball and GT were recorded in Calgary because it was substantially cheaper. The Vancouver dubs all featured performers signed to Canada's leading actor's union. The Calgary actors are not under that union and are subsequently paid less.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:11 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:26 pm Dragon Ball and GT were recorded in Calgary because it was substantially cheaper. The Vancouver dubs all featured performers signed to Canada's leading actor's union. The Calgary actors are not under that union and are subsequently paid less.
You're right it was cheaper to produce.

By advantageous I was mainly talking about from a fan perspective. It allowed us to watch GT immediately after Z without having to wait longer for it, but at the same time the quality suffered because of the less experienced cast.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:10 am

90sDBZ wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:08 pmThe only advantage I can think of for the switch to Calgary for GT is that it was probably being worked on alongside the final Vancouver Z episodes. This allowed it to air immediately after, and also possibly took some pressure off the Vancouver cast for those final episodes, which could be also have contributed to the jump in quality. It's actually a real shame in the long run though, as the Westwood dub had finally hit its stride and could have potentially been great for GT.
Based on what I've heard I don't think Blue Water GT was recorded concurrently with the final Westwood Z episodes. It was still late 2002, or early 2003 after Ocean wrapped up Z that they had already cast several prevalent roles in Vancouver for what was to be their GT dub, those actors of course signed NDAs. Michael Dobson confirmed he was cast as four characters in GT (in Z he voiced Nappa, the Tenkaichi Budokai announcer, and Supreme Kai/Kibitoshin so it was likely those three and one more), but only in March had he, as well as other actors found out their contracts had been abruptly terminated because Ken Morrison moved production on the GT dub to Calgary and quickly formed a new cast. It showed because Blue Water GT got off to a rough start, but later became serviceable at best.
90sDBZ wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:08 pmI've often wondered about Cartoon Network UK's relationship with Funimation. It's interesting how they never licensed the Pioneer Ocean Movie Trilogy, and instead opted for the Big Green dub, which is a choice no fan would have made at the time. The former featured the Vancouver cast, but would have meant dealing with Funimation as it was their product, so perhaps you're onto something.

On the other hand they did continue to show reruns of Funimation episodes 54-107 for years after replacing their Fusion saga. I know there was no Ocean version of them episodes, but it does beg the question why the Westwood dub didn't simply start from 54.
And, if Subzero Ice is to be believed, Turner (Cartoon Network UK's parent company) stated they weren't looking to acquire Kai, but if they did they would seek out Ocean's dub. We can of course speculate Cartoon Network UK simply didn't like having to pay what Funimation was asking for their dub with the Faulconer Productions score in particular, which was known to not be cheap, but in the case of Kai that wouldn't have been a problem for Funimation's dub because it used the Japanese scores, whereas in Ocean's case they had a choice of a likely more affordable replacement score to pay royalties for.

As for episodes 54-107, since the Westwood dub was recorded over 2 and a half years, rumours about it's existence (which give us an indication of when it was in pre-production) leaked in 1999 with dubbing commencing early summer 2000 and Funimation's inhouse dub began airing in Canada in February 2000, it's possible once Westwood negotiated the rights from TOEI to create their own dub, and pitched it to YTV, they couldn't get their dub out in time before Funimation (likely because Ocean was busy on other projects) and the Funi Trunks saga already began airing in September of that year so they realized it couldn't start in Canada until a later point, leading Westwood to turn to the European markets.

Episodes 1-107 all aired in the UK and Ireland (possibly the Netherlands too) in 2000, so it was probably too late for Westwood Freeza and Garlic Junior sagas there, but if Westwood managed to work out a deal to produce a dub from that point on having made contact with AB Groupe for distribution and Cartoon Network UK before they could purchase any more episodes from Funimation (which is likely as it must have been costly to buy 100+ episodes in a single year) all was in order for the dub to begin there before Canada.

Regarding reruns, as you have stated yourself the Freeza saga had many marathons, so clearly the version Cartoon Network UK had was doing particularly well, and they may have not wanted to change that. At that point after the Westwood dub began signing royalty cheques would have been the extent of Cartoon Network UK's dealings with Funimation, and the Freeza saga's popularity may have justified their high licensing costs. I can't find it now, but I remember once reading on a forum during that time there was a petition for an Ocean dub of Episodes 54-107, but like with most petitions I suspect only a minority signed it, which wouldn't have been enough to persuade Cartoon Network. They also began to stop airing anything Dragon Ball in 2005 finishing up with the movies and specials on their Toonami channel, so they probably saw double dipping, like they did with the Fusion saga on CNX as not worth the investment that time.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:26 pm Dragon Ball and GT were recorded in Calgary because it was substantially cheaper. The Vancouver dubs all featured performers signed to Canada's leading actor's union. The Calgary actors are not under that union and are subsequently paid less.
It was also Ken Morrison's way of bypassing the British Columbian Animation Agreement of the early 2000s which sought better pay for actors and more breaks between sessions by moving GT to a province where the agreement didn't apply. He had a bad rap around Vancouver at the time for being a cheapskate, and many of the actors cast for GT were very frustrated, but luckily he seemed to have changed his ways, notably when Ocean began dubbing Kai in 2010 and likely other Canadian dubs since which have included both the Vancouver and Calgary casts.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:50 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:10 am
It was also Ken Morrison's way of bypassing the British Columbian Animation Agreement of the early 2000s which sought better pay for actors and more breaks between sessions by moving GT to a province where the agreement didn't apply. He had a bad rap around Vancouver at the time for being a cheapskate, and many of the actors cast for GT were very frustrated, but luckily he seemed to have changed his ways, notably when Ocean began dubbing Kai in 2010 and likely other Canadian dubs since which have included both the Vancouver and Calgary casts.
Ian Corlett didn’t mention anyone by name but he did say there was an Ocean producer who used a union adr contract that was intended only for looping in live action films in order to pay the voice actors low rates. I assume that was Morrison?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:29 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:50 amIan Corlett didn’t mention anyone by name but he did say there was an Ocean producer who used a union adr contract that was intended only for looping in live action films in order to pay the voice actors low rates. I assume that was Morrison?
It was likely Ken, yes, because he is the head of Ocean and in charge of all their finances. Diana Gage handled and supervised the creative side of all projects the Vancouver cast worked on including Saban Z, the Pioneer trilogy and Westwood dubs.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:54 am

I skimmed through this thread so forgive me if this has been accurately answered already.

So, basically. Ocean's in-house dub of episodes #108-167 were made very late in 2000, going into early 2001. Now, the Trunks Saga premiered on YTV in Canada the exact same date that it premiered on Cartoon Network in the United States. Monday, September 03, 2000.

While it's true that Ocean was entirely handling YTV's masters of Dragon Ball Z at this point, their job at that point in time was simply to edit FUNimation's materials to their liking, ergo episode #54-onwards.

Later on, Ocean did broker a deal with AB out of France to produce an in-house dub, but by this point, half of the Android arc had aired with FUNimation's voices and music, and they didn't switch right away for what I can only assume would be for the sake of maintaining as much consistency as possible.

But, given that it took until April 2001 for YTV to get halfway through the Cell Games whereas Cartoon Network had concluded the Cell Games Saga back in December 2000 and replayed it time and again at this point, YTV and Ocean came to the mutual decision that it would be better and more practical for them to start airing their in-house masters that they could deliver much faster to YTV as opposed to waiting on FUNimation to ship their materials from Texas to British Columbia and then to Ontario. As a matter of fact, that is why it took from April to September of 2001 to get to #168, the following episode. Because Ocean needed time to get there themselves.

Now, you may be wondering, "Why didn't they at least air the Ocean-dubbed versions in repeats?" Well, the simple answer is that YTV and Corus, even to this day seldom update masters of their shows.

Shows like SpongeBob SquarePants and Rocko's Modern Life would be prime examples, where when Nickelodeon would make changes to select episodes, YTV would continue to air the original versions, because the broadcast masters were never updated.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.