Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 99 - DBZ 279-283

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Rewatch, Week 99 - DBZ 279-283 (CURRENT WEEK)

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:45 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:19 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:03 pm We are getting closer to that weird party episode with everybody dancing, animated by the worst possible studio, doing the utter worse they could possibly do.
That's a good episode if I recall, not too weird. And Uchiyama/Last House was the best choice for an episode like that, with no fighting and casual interaction. They are actually one of my favorite studios.
Masunaga/Cockpit is the studio that would have ruined the episode with their bullshit.
Studio Cockpit would have ruined it? Really? We all have opinions...but the party episode really looks better than Studio Cockpit's work to you? :wtf:
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:01 pm

Dont mind him. It's My Visionity.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:08 pm

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:45 pm Studio Cockpit would have ruined it? Really? We all have opinions...but the party episode really looks better than Studio Cockpit's work to you? :wtf:
Yeah, I hate those guys :lol: . Totally over the top bullshit. I guess the one good thing that I can say about them is that they make the battles look cool and exciting. But everything else is a big fail for me. Definitely would take Last House over them.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:08 pm

Both Kaioshin dismiss Mr. Satan and say that losing him isn't a great loss. Considering Mr. Satan is the reason Boo is defeated, this goes to show how "wise" the two are.
Toriyama seems to enjoy showing how out-of-touch the "higher-ups" are throughout the Boo arc. From Supreme Kai and Kibito's constant pessimism surprise at the Z warrior's strength to this incident with Mr. Satan.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:47 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:08 pm
Both Kaioshin dismiss Mr. Satan and say that losing him isn't a great loss. Considering Mr. Satan is the reason Boo is defeated, this goes to show how "wise" the two are.
Toriyama seems to enjoy showing how out-of-touch the "higher-ups" are throughout the Boo arc. From Supreme Kai and Kibito's constant pessimism surprise at the Z warrior's strength to this incident with Mr. Satan.
It's a recurring theme in Dragon Ball where the high and mighty are caught afoot, be it Frieza or Cui or Kaioshin. It's the ones who aren't, like Goku, Kaio and so-on, who are able to adapt and overcome.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:30 pm

I knew we'd be going past the end of the manga for a while but this is really putting it into perspective! :lol: Stalling for GT indeed.

Chiming in for last week for a moment, I love the "You can't kill Buu inside Buu" sequence. To actually going inside Buu's fantasy bubblegum demon body and see how he physically siphons power from absorbed people is appropriately disgusting and eerie and in some perverse way an escalation from Cell's convenient full-body non-digestion. That sequence of Buu jumping between whack-a-mole, elephants on parade, growing himself out of his own brain matter (?) in different shapes and sizes all the while cackling his face off at the thought at just how perfectly Goku and Vegeta have somehow made their hopeless situation even worse still such that Vegeta tetters on a nervous breakdown? It is four or five minutes, but it is a good four or five minutes made better by being animated. Such a drag that it takes them five episodes to get through Buu's body, though.

Same love for the Kai planet. We come the closest we can to topping exploding Namek as a battleground by going to the highest god's planet at the edge of the universe, where Buu ran rampant once before, bringing all the Buu arc's god talk around, all the while being a lot prettier than Namek at the job of empty arena. But then the anime then seals the deal with Buu explicitly surviving the explosions of the planets he destroys and allowing him to instant transmission straight into the afterlife, taking some wind out of using the Dragon Balls to revive the dead so long as Buu is alive. Then Studio Cockpit comes in and overshadows Super Saiyan 3's return with a mostly original fight? Bonkers, and such fun on the first watch. The sudden switch to Goku and Vegeta as our last fighters gave the story an excuse to change the scenery and it goes to good use. Kid Buu is an eleventh hour back to basics for Buu, but... why not? The pruning of anything less than unreasoning, continuous, gleeful destruction from the bubblegum genie just adds to how absolutely final this last stretch is, and the child body rounds out the other two Buus.

I remember that the Raging Blast games referenced Goku's "Dang it, that was a real Kamehameha!" quip.
https://youtu.be/boPoO5TO8xI?t=864
KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:20 pmBy admitting that Goku is the best, he's approaching the task of defeating Goku from a healthier angle. It's less about his pride and more about challenging himself as a fighter and combatant, which is still very important to him given that he's a Saiyan and all, but it means his self-worth isn't tied into it anymore because he's moved past that. And it doesn't change his perspective of Goku as a person: in the Kanzenban ending, Vegeta notes that he finds Goku's goofiness to be annoying, and in Toei's version of the "You are Number One" scene he points out how Goku's past actions make him sick.
Exactly how I read it. Vegeta does not need to like Goku, concede to whatever protagonist moral superiority Goku may have, or even adopt Goku's mentality. He just needs to broaden his perspective beyond the notion that Goku jumping past him in strength is nothing less than destiny giving him a repeated middle finger, which he finally allows himself here.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada