How much action and violence can there be in a promo'? (Especially on Network TV)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

How much action and violence can there be in a promo'? (Especially on Network TV)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:22 pm

I know this is a question that will probably will never be answered, but its worth asking. How much violence and action is allowed on a promo and of what kind.

Sure on Cable you can do pretty much anything, but in Network TV you have to keep it kid friendly but also advertise the blood pumping action.

https://youtu.be/w928WG4pEEI

I love this promo, it does a great job of being epic and kid friendly.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: How much action and violence can there be in a promo'? (Especially on Network TV)

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 am

Hard to say, I'd imagine much like the editing of the episodes themselves different broadcasters will have their own preferences for what is and isn't acceptable.

For promos you could also say networks need to be careful how much they show as some might consider explicit violence to be a spoiler, which would ruin the surprise of what comes next and affect the show's ratings.

For example this shot shows that Dragon Ball Z can be a violent show at times, but it also heavily implies both Goku and Raditz die, so it wouldn't be ideal for a promo. Interestingly the Saban dub cut it out entirely, whereas the Nicktoons cut of Kai showed it but cut out the blood.

Other shots like Freeza impaling Krillin could show there is violence in the series without revealing any major plot points, although it could still be edited cleverly in a way that still implies what happens but keeps it tame enough and gives viewers an idea what they are in for.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Re: How much action and violence can there be in a promo'? (Especially on Network TV)

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:45 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 am For example this shot shows that Dragon Ball Z can be a violent show at times, but it also heavily implies both Goku and Raditz die, so it wouldn't be ideal for a promo. Interestingly the Saban dub cut it out entirely, whereas the Nicktoons cut of Kai showed it but cut out the blood.
Toei actually cut out all of the blood from that scene in "uncut" Kai as well because it conflicted with Sunday morning network restrictions.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:56 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:45 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 am For example this shot shows that Dragon Ball Z can be a violent show at times, but it also heavily implies both Goku and Raditz die, so it wouldn't be ideal for a promo. Interestingly the Saban dub cut it out entirely, whereas the Nicktoons cut of Kai showed it but cut out the blood.
Toei actually cut out all of the blood from that scene in "uncut" Kai as well because it conflicted with Sunday morning network restrictions.
It had nothing to with Sunday morning restrictions. Censorship standards for Japanese kids tv in general just got more strict.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:36 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:56 am
It had nothing to with Sunday morning restrictions. Censorship standards for Japanese kids tv in general just got more strict.
There are absolutely stricter standards for "childrens' tv" (shows that air on weekend mornings and kids often watch by themselves while their parents sleep) than there is for "family tv" (shows that air in primetime and kids generally watch with at least one parent), which has been clearly demonstrated when long running shows switched from primetime to early morning and instantly got toned down somewhat.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:37 pm

Yeah. Look what Naruto got away with being on Primetime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT6LAQvP3so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktDP5LzcqfM
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:03 am

Adamant wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:36 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:56 am
There are absolutely stricter standards for "childrens' tv" (shows that air on weekend mornings and kids often watch by themselves while their parents sleep) than there is for "family tv" (shows that air in primetime and kids generally watch with at least one parent), which has been clearly demonstrated when long running shows switched from primetime to early morning and instantly got toned down somewhat.
Hence why Goku and Raditz could get a hole blasted through them and bleed out when kids watched.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.