What Movies Did and Did Not Air on TV (Ocean/Funi Dubs)?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

What Movies Did and Did Not Air on TV (Ocean/Funi Dubs)?

Post by KPike87 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:18 am

Recently I've been trying to compile some promos (and possibly recordings, if possible) of the Z movies that aired on TV, and I mostly just want my info verified. For the below list, I'm just gonna list what I've got. Also this is just what aired, some of these may have been available on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon's sites years ago, but I'm not concerned with that at the moment.

Movie 1; Ocean - Toonami
Movie 1; Funi - Unaired
Movie 2; Ocean - Toonami
Movie 2; Funi - Unaired
Movie 3; Ocean - Syndication (three parter), Toonami (standard)
Movie 3; Funi - Unaired
Movie 4 - Toonami, Nicktoons
Movie 5 - Toonami, Nicktoons
Movie 6 - Toonami, Nicktoons
Movie 7 - Nicktoons
Movie 8 - Toonami (2014 only?), Nicktoons
Movie 9 - Nicktoons
Movie 10 - Nicktoons
Movie 11 - Unaired(?)
Movie 12 - Toonami, Nicktoons
Movie 13 - Toonami, Nicktoons

TV Specials:
Father of Goku - Toonami, Nicktoons
History of Trunks - Toonami, Nicktoons
A Hero's Legacy - Nicktoons

I'm surprised the ""uncut"" Funi movies 1-3 didn't air when episodes 1-67 did in 2005 or 2006, what's up with that? I know some of the AB dubs made may have aired on Toonami or something in the UK and other European countries, but I'm curious if the other Funi dubs aired on Toonami AUS or something at one point?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: What Movies Did and Did Not Air on TV (Ocean/Funi Dubs)?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:06 am

Worth noting there are no Ocean dubs of any movies. The versions of DBZ movies 1-3 that aired on Toonami US were Funimation's original dub that featured the Ocean Studios cast. Pioneer were also heavily involved with the direction of those dubs (well movies 1-2 at least, movie 3 was split into three episodes for TV and was heavily influenced by Saban's business practices) as Barry Watson was not credited.
KPike87 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:18 amI'm surprised the ""uncut"" Funi movies 1-3 didn't air when episodes 1-67 did in 2005 or 2006, what's up with that? I know some of the AB dubs made may have aired on Toonami or something in the UK and other European countries, but I'm curious if the other Funi dubs aired on Toonami AUS or something at one point?
Not sure about Australia, but from what I recall it was Cheez TV that aired Dragon Ball there. The AB Groupe dubs (known by fans as the "Big Green dub") of all the movies and specials other than Path to Power, and Z movies 10-13 did air on Toonami UK in 2005. Haven't heard of any other airings in any other countries, it has been speculated the OG movies could have aired on Toonami Asia in 2016, but no recordings have surfaced to prove one way or the other.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:34 pm

Poor movie 11 it's reputation precedes it. I would not be surprised if movies 1,2 and 3 redubs aired on CN around 06. It's very possible they were purchased with the redub episodes but it's important to remember that DB was old news at the time and even the redub wasn't put on Toonami. It was just randomly on before Adult Swim. So who knows they might of been on at 4 in the morning like those poor final episodes of Yu Yu and Gundam Seed.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:15 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:06 am Worth noting there are no Ocean dubs of any movies. The versions of DBZ movies 1-3 that aired on Toonami US were Funimation's original dub that featured the Ocean Studios cast. Pioneer were also heavily involved with the direction of those dubs (well movies 1-2 at least, movie 3 was split into three episodes for TV and was heavily influenced by Saban's business practices) as Barry Watson was not credited.
KPike87 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:18 amI'm surprised the ""uncut"" Funi movies 1-3 didn't air when episodes 1-67 did in 2005 or 2006, what's up with that? I know some of the AB dubs made may have aired on Toonami or something in the UK and other European countries, but I'm curious if the other Funi dubs aired on Toonami AUS or something at one point?
Not sure about Australia, but from what I recall it was Cheez TV that aired Dragon Ball there. The AB Groupe dubs (known by fans as the "Big Green dub") of all the movies and specials other than Path to Power, and Z movies 10-13 did air on Toonami UK in 2005. Haven't heard of any other airings in any other countries, it has been speculated the OG movies could have aired on Toonami Asia in 2016, but no recordings have surfaced to prove one way or the other.
I mostly just referred to it as "Ocean" and "Funi" based off their dubs, not really the producers, since I figured that's how most people differentiate them. Movies 1 through 3 was indeed a Pioneer production while the show itself as well as the syndicated Movie 3 was Funi and Saban, which both just used the same cast for the sake of quality (I guess).

Kinda crazy that Toonami UK got slightly more movies we did here in the states, even if the dubs were... Subpar. Also, completely forgot Toonami Asia even existed. Chances of finding anthing like that from there, especially legacy content like those movies, are slim at best to be found in the future. A lot of English dubs from mainland China or Asia in general and the such are really obscure and hard to find. Thank you for the info though, much appreciated :thumbup: !
TheMajinRedComet wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:34 pm Poor movie 11 it's reputation precedes it. I would not be surprised if movies 1,2 and 3 redubs aired on CN around 06. It's very possible they were purchased with the redub episodes but it's important to remember that DB was old news at the time and even the redub wasn't put on Toonami. It was just randomly on before Adult Swim. So who knows they might of been on at 4 in the morning like those poor final episodes of Yu Yu and Gundam Seed.
I find it funny how even Nickelodeon knew the movie kinda sucks, or at least knew of it's reputation, and decided to have it be the odd one out on an otherwise clean streak from 4-13 lol.

Huh, so it really wasn't on Toonami, I just assumed that it was, since I knew for sure it wasn't Adult Swim. I do suppose there is a possibility, but Kanzenshuu at the time were talking about it, and I feel as though a listing or mention on this forum or something would have come up, but that's just heresy, I have no clue.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:31 pm

I dont think the uncut dub of Tree of might of ever aired? I recall seeing Dead Zone uncut (if we're counting it all) late at night as I remeber seeing these credits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhPdiODrJWE

Also, why it's unreleased, the "Vendar" English dub of Dead Zone also was never shown..just throwing it out there lol

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:44 pm

Now that I think of it movie 11 was the first DVD only release DBZ movie. Which meant no edited VHS release. I think even movies 9 and 10 had both edited and uncut VHS releases. They may have never made a edited copy of the movie for broadcast. They would have to at least remove the middle fingers for Nicktoons.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:13 pm

There may be an edited dub of movie 11. Chris Sabat has said before that Funimation always record an edited dub just in case a broadcaster requested it. We know there is an unreleased edited Kai TFC dub, so it's not impossible there are also unreleased TV-safe versions of the rest of the movies as doing them would be less work than editing 69 episodes of Kai.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: