C18 in ToP and Moro chapter only fights if she gets paid

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

C18 in ToP and Moro chapter only fights if she gets paid

Post by super michael » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:35 pm

Before I start I got this idea from one of Scotty thread.

In my opinion I think that is bad writing, since C18 never had any issue fighting. In RoF she wanted to fight, but the only reason she did was because she had to take care of her daughter which was a lame reason since Krillin should have stayed beyond since he is weaker.
In BoG and RoF there was no indication she needs to get paid to protect the planet or universe.

In ToP she would refuse to join the ToP if she didn't get paid.
In Moro chapter she only agreed to fight against Moro and his invasion if she got paid.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: C18 in ToP and Moro chapter only fights if she gets paid

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:39 pm

I think its the most clever writing so far. She's just selfish, she fought in the TOP for a chance at a wish. It's much better than "I am a mom doing mom things now"
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:43 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:39 pm I think its the most clever writing so far. She's just selfish, she fought in the TOP for a chance at a wish. It's much better than "I am a mom doing mom things now"
C18 didn't seem selfish in RoF, she was willing to fight without getting paid. In BoG she didn't demand to get paid she just battled Beerus.

C18 I don't remember her asking for a wish, I remember her asking for money.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:52 pm

I love 18 being a money-grabbing whore fighter. You can't survive with a traffic cop's salary. She's capitalizing on what she knows best.

In BoG she fought for free because a hakaishin suddenly went mental right then and there, and herself and her family were going to get killed, stopping to ask for cash to join the fight would be plain stupid.

I don't remember seeing her in RoF.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:59 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:52 pm I love 18 being a money-grabbing whore fighter. You can't survive with a traffic cop's salary. She's capitalizing on what she knows best.

In BoG she fought for free because a hakaishin suddenly went mental right then and there, and herself and her family were going to get killed, stopping to ask for cash to join the fight would be plain stupid.

I don't remember seeing her in RoF.
In RoF Krillin and C18 were discussing about who gets to go, C18 wanted to go but Krillin insisted that she stays behind which made zero sense. C18 >>>> Krillin.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:12 pm

Been a while but I’m pretty sure there was a never a discussion between 18 and Krillin about who gets to go. It was just Krillin is going and 18 is staying with the toddler.

Regardless, 18 only fighting for cash had been a consistent part of her character since the original manga so….

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:17 pm

The problem with #18 refusing to fight in the tournament unless she gets paid is that the alternative is everyone in existence getting erased from existence, including her, her husband and her daughter.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:16 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:17 pm The problem with #18 refusing to fight in the tournament unless she gets paid is that the alternative is everyone in existence getting erased from existence, including her, her husband and her daughter.
Wasn’t she not made aware of that fact along with the rest of the not Goku and Vegeta cast until after she agreed to fight in the tournament? I could of sworn Goku neglecting to tell everyone the actual stakes until the last minute was a plot point.

pepd
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by pepd » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:39 pm

She only said she wouldn't fight.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:12 pm Been a while but I’m pretty sure there was a never a discussion between 18 and Krillin about who gets to go. It was just Krillin is going and 18 is staying with the toddler.
Kuririn changes into his dougi at home.
No.18: “I’ll go too. I’m a lot more powerful than you guys, after all.”
Kuririn: “I’d rather you stay here and look after Marron. Anyway, I’ve got a favor to ask you…”
Last edited by pepd on Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:41 pm

pepd wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:39 pm She just said she wouldn't fight.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:12 pm Been a while but I’m pretty sure there was a never a discussion between 18 and Krillin about who gets to go. It was just Krillin is going and 18 is staying with the toddler.
Kuririn changes into his dougi at home.
No.18: “I’ll go too. I’m a lot more powerful than you guys, after all.”
Kuririn: “I’d rather you stay here and look after Marron. Anyway, I’ve got a favor to ask you…”
Smh Kuririn becoming a cop and then becoming the kind guy to expect his wife to be a tradwife.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:52 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:16 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:17 pm The problem with #18 refusing to fight in the tournament unless she gets paid is that the alternative is everyone in existence getting erased from existence, including her, her husband and her daughter.
Wasn’t she not made aware of that fact along with the rest of the not Goku and Vegeta cast until after she agreed to fight in the tournament? I could of sworn Goku neglecting to tell everyone the actual stakes until the last minute was a plot point.
From what I recall, both the anime and the manga have the obligatory moment where Goku’s lie gets revealed, and the characters not only call him out for this, but #18 apparently refuses to fight at that point, despite knowing what’s at stake. Bulma has to offer to pay her.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:45 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:52 pm
From what I recall, both the anime and the manga have the obligatory moment where Goku’s lie gets revealed, and the characters not only call him out for this, but #18 apparently refuses to fight at that point, despite knowing what’s at stake. Bulma has to offer to pay her.
Oh you’re right. I remember now Bulma having to cover Goku’s ass and pay anyone who was expecting payment from Goku’s promise.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:03 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:45 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:52 pm

Oh you’re right. I remember now Bulma having to cover Goku’s ass and pay anyone who was expecting payment from Goku’s promise.
And now that I think about it, #17 also initially refuses to join, even after he Goku tells him what’s at stake. Same thing happens when Cabba is trying to recruit Caulifla. She only agrees to join when he offers to teach her how to become a Super Saiyan.