Why did 4Kids One Piece FAIL while Funimation's Dragon Ball succeeded?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Why did 4Kids One Piece FAIL while Funimation's Dragon Ball succeeded?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:58 am

Yeah, I've been surprised by how many people want the Yu-Gi-Oh sub on an English-friendly home release. I always thought most people who watched Yu-Gi-Oh grew up with the dub and just didn't care for the sub, but having looked into it more it seems that there were people, even in English-speaking countries who saw the sub before the dub (perhaps through tape trading) and we're very displeased with the latter. I still have a lot of fondness for the dub myself, as I loved watching it on Sky One back in the day.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:47 am

Adamant wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:02 pm The idea that this somehow wouldn't have happened to One Piece had 4Kids stuck with it is ludicrous. Of course it would have.
At some point when my back was turned, the internet started liking the One Piece rap theme. Almost all online discussion about it was toxic as hell a decade ago, but now that's been outnumbered by nostalgic people who were introduced to OP through 4Kids and then picked up the uncut version. That being said, I think you'd struggle to find anyone arguing that it's better than We Are!.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:23 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:58 am Yeah, I've been surprised by how many people want the Yu-Gi-Oh sub on an English-friendly home release. I always thought most people who watched Yu-Gi-Oh grew up with the dub and just didn't care for the sub, but having looked into it more it seems that there were people, even in English-speaking countries who saw the sub before the dub (perhaps through tape trading) and we're very displeased with the latter. I still have a lot of fondness for the dub myself, as I loved watching it on Sky One back in the day.
Back in the day almost nobody liked the 4kids dub of Yu-gi-oh, at least online. The ridiculous censorship was well known.

If anything the lack of available Japanese sub probably made fans think the Japanese version was better than it actually was.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:46 am

This is me digging back into the memory banks but yeah, there was a ton of complaining about the Yuugi-Ou! Duel Monsters dub in 2002-2006 (a lot of it was me). I think general nostalgia and the mainstream-esque nature of LittleKuriboh helped lionize the dub over time and, well, frankly, it was twenty years ago we should all have better things to do with our time than stew in our own soiled pants like two year olds.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:13 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:00 am
Adamant wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:34 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:37 am Pokemon is a easier anime to edit and localize than Dragon Ball was. That's probably why the dub was consider to be better than what Funimation was doing.
Or maybe it was just because it was pretty well done by that era's standard, while the Dragonball Z dub was utter garbage.
But Hellspawn is right. Pokemon had far less problematic content to edit. That’s not an excuse for how bad Dragon Ball Z’s dub could be but it does make 4Kids job easier.
Also, Pokemon didn't have a huge fanbase before the series was released in the states. Meanwhile, many people had high hopes for a English dub for DBZ and people were mad on how it was handle. The whole 4kids is satan in the anime industry didn't seem to happen until they started to dub Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, and Shaman King.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:10 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:13 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:00 am
Adamant wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:34 am

Or maybe it was just because it was pretty well done by that era's standard, while the Dragonball Z dub was utter garbage.
But Hellspawn is right. Pokemon had far less problematic content to edit. That’s not an excuse for how bad Dragon Ball Z’s dub could be but it does make 4Kids job easier.
Also, Pokemon didn't have a huge fanbase before the series was released in the states. Meanwhile, many people had high hopes for a English dub for DBZ and people were mad on how it was handle. The whole 4kids is satan in the anime industry didn't seem to happen until they started to dub Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, and Shaman King.
I believe it was when the Pocket Monsters/Pokemon anime premiered in early 1997 that it really started to get popular in Japan, i do know the original two Game Boy games Red and Green initially had so so to lukewarm sales roughly the first half a year or so they were on store shelves but things started climbing upward quickly at that point and then once the series made it's debut here in mid 1998 it only catapulted the hype further. 4Kids definitely had a big thing on their hands with the absolutely massive blitz that went on for a good three or so years and the show was just one part of it.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:10 pm

Dragon Ball succeeded because it's Dragon Ball. Good dub or bad dub, doesn't matter, Dragon Ball will always sell.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:46 pm

How popular was Dragon Ball in English speaking countries before 1995/1996? I know it had a following, but since that was before the Internet became widespread, it seems like it would’ve been fairly niche in places like the states.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:58 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:46 pm How popular was Dragon Ball in English speaking countries before 1995/1996? I know it had a following, but since that was before the Internet became widespread, it seems like it would’ve been fairly niche in places like the states.
It was one of the most popular anime series and was getting plenty of magazine coverage and imported merch.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:52 am

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:46 pm How popular was Dragon Ball in English speaking countries before 1995/1996? I know it had a following, but since that was before the Internet became widespread, it seems like it would’ve been fairly niche in places like the states.
Popular enough that anime magazines talked about its licensing and dubbing before it aired

Popular enough Fukunaga originally said the market is over saturated with fan subs there would be no point in releasing official subs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:36 am

Reminder that we have a really awesome (if I do say so myself) "Press Archive" with tons of transcriptions/scans/sources of North American media discussing Dragon Ball, with tons of stuff pre-FUNimation. Everything has its date listed.

(And that doesn't include all the general back-of-magazine advertisements from import shops with all the games, Super Battle Collection figures, etc.)

(There's a website design refresh coming at some point that will bring the "Press Archive" functionality in line with that of the "Translations" section.)

Dragon Ball was already popular before it came here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:59 am

It's always marvelous to see just how much information Kanzenshuu has.

I have a question Mr Vegetto EX. I think the earliest non-ANN site fansite to report Toonzai airing DBZKai WAS Kanzenshuu. If so CAN YOU PLEASE point me in the direction of the earliest article you have on the subject?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:22 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:59 am I have a question Mr Vegetto EX. I think the earliest non-ANN site fansite to report Toonzai airing DBZKai WAS Kanzenshuu. If so CAN YOU PLEASE point me in the direction of the earliest article you have on the subject?
Was Toonzai the same as CW4Kids? I don't really remember what companies and names and such changed over time.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2010/04/26/k ... ds-lineup/
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:22 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:59 am I have a question Mr Vegetto EX. I think the earliest non-ANN site fansite to report Toonzai airing DBZKai WAS Kanzenshuu. If so CAN YOU PLEASE point me in the direction of the earliest article you have on the subject?
Was Toonzai the same as CW4Kids? I don't really remember what companies and names and such changed over time.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2010/04/26/k ... ds-lineup/
Yep. Toonzai/CW4Kids/KidsWb/Vortexx its also just different names for the WB/CW’s kids block