Dragon Ball Z but it's dubbed by Disney

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Dragon Ball Z but it's dubbed by Disney

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:16 pm

I thought this would be kinda fun considering their work on the Miyazaki films

Little Mermaid is on and Pat Carroll's Ursula kinda has me thinking if thats how FUNi initially wanted Freeza to be like and I think she would actually be kind of an interesting VA for the character.

So, what Dinsey VA (or celebrity VA) would you like to see fill these roles. How do you think they would of handeled the franchise (movies, series or both)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z but it's dubbed by Disney

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:40 pm

Ironically if Saban had actually licensed and dubbed Dragon Ball Z themselves, instead of just distributing it in syndication for Funimation for its first two seasons, it would have ended up under Disney’s ownership anyways.

Though in that scenario it would have continued using the same cast and crew Saban went with just airing on like Toon Disney or some shit.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:02 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:40 pm Ironically if Saban had actually licensed and dubbed Dragon Ball Z themselves, instead of just distributing it in syndication for Funimation for its first two seasons, it would have ended up under Disney’s ownership anyways.

Though in that scenario it would have continued using the same cast and crew Saban went with just airing on like Toon Disney or some shit.
in that case I wonder if there ever would be an uncensored dub
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:46 pm

I feel like Uma Thurman would make a really good Android 18. She voiced Princess Kushana in Nausicaa.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:11 pm

BeaBumby wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:02 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:40 pm Ironically if Saban had actually licensed and dubbed Dragon Ball Z themselves, instead of just distributing it in syndication for Funimation for its first two seasons, it would have ended up under Disney’s ownership anyways.

I highly doubt it. Not even Digimon had a uncut dub.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:11 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:11 pm
BeaBumby wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:02 pm

I highly doubt it. Not even Digimon had a uncut dub.
Yeah I don’t think Saban or Disney would ever be interested in uncut products for their kids shows.

Studio Ghibli films cannot be used as an example because being released uncut was part of the agreement and those movies have always been marketed for fans of animation. Not kidvid stuff like Dragon Ball.