Favorite Super Saiyan Form?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Favorite Super Saiyan Form?

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:07 am

Since Saiyan transformations take up a big part of the series what's your favorite? Super Saiyan: 1,2,3,4, God, Blue? False Super Saiyan if you're weird?
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Re: Favorite Super Saiyan Form?

Post by BeaBumby » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:17 am

Super Saiyan 3 and 4 interchangeably. I really can't choose.

SSJ3 has that awesome transformation and Gotenks fuckin rocks it. SSJ4's design is stellar, my favorite visually. And its impact on the series is perhaps greater than 3's.
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:46 am

There's nothing weirder than not liking False Super Saiyan but liking Super Saiyan 3, Super Saiyan 4 and those damn recolors, though.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:56 am

I've grown to dislike the Golden Super Saiyan Forms. I have so many different designs to look over now that they've kinda fallen to the bottom.

My favorites in no particular order:
  • False Super Saiyan
  • Super Saiyan 4
  • Super Saiyan God
  • Great Ape
Honorary Mention: It's not a Super Saiyan form, but Ultra Instinct Sign/Omen is by far my favorite.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:51 am

SSJ4. I love the design and the raw power it evokes, with Goku's being my favorite. The black hair, red ( pink-ish sometimes in the anime) fur, the tail, and the fact that it follows Golden Oozaru. I love it even more because Goku was in a kid's body prior to Golden Oozaru and then SSJ4, and honestly that made the initial transformation even more dramatic. And I also love how while it's a ferocious form, it's also one born from love. It's the perfect Saiyan transformation.

The original SSJ has such a clean, classic design, with the blonde hair and green eyes. I've grown to appreciating the original SSJ being more flow-y and not as spiky. That...and each of it's original three appearances (Goku, Trunks, and Vegeta) are incredibly iconic moments, especially in the anime.

Third would be (fittingly) SSJ3. Much like SSJ4, this design evokes wild, raw power. I love that with Goku, it's a form originally unlocked in Other World, adding to the mysterious nature of the transformation I like its look with the halo for that reason. The no-eyebrows look plus the long hair is intimidating from the outset, and I like that Goku is more buff. It was originally meant as the ultimate transformation, and despite it never fully defeating a villain (except in Movie 13, with fully capitalizes on the cool factor this form has), it feels like a desperation move.

Golden Oozaru is probably 4th; the ideal of a Super Saiyan Great Ape is really cool, and I love the deisgn. It taps into that Great Ape/Saiyan mythology.

Honorable mentions: Ultra Instinct Omen. The very concept of this form is a natural extension of something Goku has been taught since his training with Popo, that he uses too many unnecessary movements. I love that this form is a full-extension on the theme. I like Sign, but Omen has a more haunting aspect to the look and movement that is more appealing overall.

Super Saiyan God (Red): I love the fiery aura, and the slimmer look is a unique touch. Yet this form feels powerful all the same. As much as I like UI (and I don't hate Blue), I wish more had been done wtih Red.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:41 am

Z movie 4 version of Super Saiyan. Sure it’s over the top but it looks cool. Actually I love the disconnect between Toei’s over the top designs for Saiyan transformations (Pseudo Super Saiyan, Golden Oozaru, Super Saiyan 4, and even the early concept for Super Saiyan God that included a motherfucking cape) and Toriyama’s more simplistic and low key designs. Super Saiyan 3 excluded.

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:51 am

Super Saiyan God (Red): I love the fiery aura, and the slimmer look is a unique touch. Yet this form feels powerful all the same. As much as I like UI (and I don't hate Blue), I wish more had been done wtih Red.
I’m still salty Super Saiyan God was quickly passed over for Super Saiyan Blue

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:58 am

Easily Super Saiyan Rosé.

It's thematic, Zamasu was subtly associated with roses, when he considers himself to have become "enlightened", telling Gowasu that mortals are actually evil, the flowers change colour and become petals of roses.

It's symbolic, it represents the increased synch between Zamasu's mind and Goku's body, it is rose in colour partially because of the above point (it symbolizes the increasing power of Zamasu within that body), but also because rose is often associated with death, danger (thorns of roses), but also with elegance, nobility, it is a regal colour. All of this fits Zamasu's character perfectly. I also found this on internet:
Pink first rose to prominence as the favored color of Madame de Pompadour, a mistress of Louis XV. A specific shade of the color was created and named for her by the Sèvres porcelain company, who enjoyed her favor. Their fine porcelain was a prized status symbol in the 18th century, and this rich hue of pink came to be associated with the opulence of the royal court and all its trappings, though it was not assigned to a particular gender.
"Rich", "Opulence", "Royal", "Trappings", all of this fits Zamasu so perfectly. I wish some people didn't see it just as a "recolour", because just the symbolism behinds it already makes it a 10/10 form.

Visually it objectively looks beautiful and pleasing to the eye.

It's the most unique form in DB. It's literally a form that ONLY Goku Black (and obviously Fused Zamasu) can use. Because it associated with Zamasu's soul. No one else can achieve this form. Making it the most unique and exclusive form in all of Dragon Ball.

I also love how it makes Black's eyes grey, because Zamasu's eyes are also grey. "The Eyes are the mirror of the Soul". Brilliant detail.

Finally, the name is just perfect. "Rosé" is a catchy and vainglorious term, it easily matches Zamasu's over-the-top and narcissistic personality.

Perfect, to be honest. One of the most iconic forms from Modern DB, and rightly so!

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:33 am

I don’t have a preference for any of them tbh, even in terms of their appearances. They all are pretty much vessels the writers (ie Toriyama and TOEI) use to tell a certain narrative in the story, and they are all around the same level of serviceability in my eyes.

Except SSB Evo. SSB Evo looks pug fugly.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:43 am

SSJ4 as it's easily the most original form in franchise and the one where actual effort is seen. I love early Super Saiyan as well, but we all know SSJ is kinda lazy design as Toriyama even said he just wanted to make it easier to color Goku's hair. If you look at SSJ4 you can easily tell someone actually wanted to make a cool form and actually took time to work on it, without thinking how hard it will be to animate it. Compared to all the shitty recolors we got recently with red, blue, pink etc. hair, SSJ4 beats them all. Not only visually but also conceptually. It's supposed to be pinnacle of saiyan power, an ultimate form, final step of evolution. And its design totally screams that. It's not just random hair color change that needs lazy story explanation to justify its design and existence in any way. SSJ3 was also cool but kinda wasted form so i put it below SSJ4 and SSJ, but above everything else as it was still pretty original variation of SSJ (can't say the same thing about SSJ2).
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:18 pm

Mine is Super Saiyan. The simplicity of design just works perfectly. However, what really made the form so impactful was the action required to achieve it, and Goku's violet attitude change. It has had such an impact on the franchise that nothing will ever top it.
Super Saiyan 2 had a great introduction, but it only ever really looked special on Gohan when he first achieved it. It's kind of a boring design everywhere else. Even on Boo saga Gohan. It's not too surprising that Toriyama forgot it.
Super Saiyan 3 has a dope design, and a great risk vs reward aspect to it in the story. However, God ki has rendered this form completely obsolete, so outside of design I don't care too much about this form anymore in universe.
Super Saiyan God is dope too. I love the return to Toriyama's less is more design mentality.
I'll give an honorable mention to 4 for having a cool design concept, but the pinkish fur and eye shadow is really goofy.

My ranking as of now.
Super Saiyan>God>3, the rest.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:05 pm

For the longest time now, my favorite has been a tie between Super Saiyan 1 and 4. The former is a ground-breaking and iconic classic, and I probably don't need to attempt explaining its appeal. The latter is a remarkably unique and imposing form in both concept and design, with a lot of lore and character meaning for Goku, and which has managed to remain just about the coolest effing thing ever despite the sub-par series it originated from.

In second place behind them is Super Saiyan God. I like it for similar-but-opposite reasons as SS4, for how it broke the trend of the gold-haired forms and did something new and unusual. It achieved Toriyama's stated goal of paring things down and going for a more simple design, but still had enough going on visually to make it interesting, before its successor forms in Super pole-vaulted over the line from "simple" to "lazy." There was also the mysterious and intriguing concept of "godly ki" that came along with its introduction, which unfortunately along with the form itself has mostly fallen to the wayside during Super.

After that, I like all the other monkey-faced and golden-haired forms well enough, in no particular order. The only forms I actively dislike are all the lazy-ass color swaps from Super — Blue, Rosé, Blue Evolved, and especially Ultra Instinct. I still don't really know what to think of Ultra Ego... it's just kind of there. It's also not a particularly creative design, still just recycling elements from prior forms and mutations, but at least it's more than just a recolor.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:30 pm

I guess I’d go with Super Saiyan 4. Yeah, you could say that it’s a bit of an excessive design, but it’s pretty creative in both concept and execution, and despite the excess, it’s still cool to look at.

I wouldn’t call it my favorite, but I also grew to appreciate Super Saiyan God over time, despite initially having been underwhelmed by it. It’s a simplistic design, but it manages to work without coming off as lazy, and it’s appropriate to Toriyama’s general style. I’m glad they didn’t go with Toei’s idea of the cape. With that said, the fact that it’s been turned into just another transformation seems a bit at odds with how it’s depicted in BoG.

I could not care less for Super Saiyan Blue or any of its variations.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:01 am

Super Saiyan 4. Its awesome its beastly, its strong. Everyone one could ask for in a Super Saiyan form.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:51 am

The one thing I will say for Blue is that, while I'm not a big fan of the form itself and wish Red had been more utilized, I like the transition to Ice from Fire. Aside from that, there's nothing unique enough about how the form is used to stand out from Red or any other transformation.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:01 am

BootyCheeksJohnson wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:07 am Since Saiyan transformations take up a big part of the series what's your favorite? Super Saiyan: 1,2,3,4, God, Blue? False Super Saiyan if you're weird?
Super Saiyan 2.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:54 am

In no particular order, my top 3:

SS2. It really made SS look like a bitch.
SS4. Looks great, I wish it was the actual legendary SS, and part of the original manga.
Migatte no Gokui. The pinnacle of martial arts, it's simple and looks godly and awesome. Plus, it has the best animated ability.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:51 pm

For me it's Super Saiyan 2. I know people find it similar to SS1 and all, but that's part of its charm for me. SS2 is a pretty much flawless, clean upgrade to SS1, and that's reflected in how its design does the same thing as SS1 but takes it further, making the hair even spikier and raising even more bangs for the users that have them, and not adding stuff like longer hair, a lack of eyebrows, fur, a different hair colour, so on and so on. SS2 keeps it simple and clean and I like that. Also, I disagree with the sentiment that only Gohan wears it well, since I especially like how it looks on Goku.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:59 pm

I actually think SS2 looks better on Goku than on Gohan.

To me, Gohan can only sport it with a Cell Games haircut, it changes his whole hairdue, but later on, his hair just remains the same, that's why in Broly's comeback, there isn't much difference between his SS2, his SS and his base hairstyle.

Probably SS2 Goten could also rock the shit out of it.

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:16 pm

Super Saiyan 4, False Super Saiyan, and Super Saiyan Blue Evolved. I feel they're all great in their own distinct ways, from colors, to brows, to eyes, to muscles, all of them work for me.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:20 pm

Super Saiyan God. It's neither a retread of the original Super Saiyan transformations like Blue, nor aesthetically pleasing but with too much going on like Super Saiyan 3 or 4, or even too little difference from the first transformation like Super Saiyan 2. I like all of those forms for different reasons, but Super Saiyan God is simple, but effective both aesthetically and conceptually, had it been Goku's final transformation it would have also had the benefit of staying consistent with Toriyama's trope of the strongest form being the least imposing. Red also fits Goku's classic orange gi better, and provides a nice contrast when used on Vegeta.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: