Favorite Super Saiyan Form?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Favorite Super Saiyan Form?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:34 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:54 am In no particular order, my top 3:

SS2. It really made SS look like a bitch.
SS4. Looks great, I wish it was the actual legendary SS, and part of the original manga.
Migatte no Gokui. The pinnacle of martial arts, it's simple and looks godly and awesome. Plus, it has the best animated ability.
SSJ2 is a better version of SSJ. And that's my main problem with it honestly. It's better than SSJ2 but nothing more than that.
Here's kinda dumb analogy. For the same reason i never liked much praised Resident Evil 2, as it was basically everything RE1 did, but done better, when RE3 despite being flawed and feeling rushed, tried something else. And this is how i see SSJ3 as well and why i like it more than SSJ2.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:53 pm

My faves are:
-SS God
-Rose

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:09 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:34 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:54 am In no particular order, my top 3:

SS2. It really made SS look like a bitch.
SS4. Looks great, I wish it was the actual legendary SS, and part of the original manga.
Migatte no Gokui. The pinnacle of martial arts, it's simple and looks godly and awesome. Plus, it has the best animated ability.
SSJ2 is a better version of SSJ. And that's my main problem with it honestly. It's better than SSJ2 but nothing more than that.
Here's kinda dumb analogy. For the same reason i never liked much praised Resident Evil 2, as it was basically everything RE1 did, but done better, when RE3 despite being flawed and feeling rushed, tried something else. And this is how i see SSJ3 as well and why i like it more than SSJ2.
I thought SSJ2 was my favorite for the longest time, but it's been very recently that I've gone to preferring SSJ and SSJ3 to it, along with the others I mentioned. SSJ2 is fine but it doesn't really stand out much for me, and I like the flowing hair of the original form over the spiky-ness of SSJ2. And SSJ3 is just a different enough beast altogether that I love it.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:24 pm

I love SSJ2 specifically due to its subtlety. It's the same super saiyan form we already love but with an angry, not-fucking-around-anymore twist. It distracts less from the character themselves which is why it was so beautifully contextualized with kid Gohan.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:45 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:59 pm I actually think SS2 looks better on Goku than on Gohan.

To me, Gohan can only sport it with a Cell Games haircut, it changes his whole hairdue, but later on, his hair just remains the same, that's why in Broly's comeback, there isn't much difference between his SS2, his SS and his base hairstyle.

Probably SS2 Goten could also rock the shit out of it.
It doesn’t actually remain the same, there’s a slight change in hair.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:30 pm

3 is my favorite, equal parts silly and badass, like DB itself.

4 is a close-ish second. Love how much more primal and ape-like it looks, especially on Goku.

I also really love 1, at least as it appeared on Namek.

2 as Gohan wears it at the Cell Games is also a favorite, especially when paired with the cape, which only ever happens on merch.

I don't mind the others, but I guess the numbered ones are my favorites.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:32 pm

Rosé, so sayeth the gays!

Really nice color combination AND Gokuu Black is super cool!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:34 pm

While I've already stated my faves, I like rosé as well, pink's a good color
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:19 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:51 am The one thing I will say for Blue is that, while I'm not a big fan of the form itself and wish Red had been more utilized, I like the transition to Ice from Fire. Aside from that, there's nothing unique enough about how the form is used to stand out from Red or any other transformation.
The only time that Blue felt unique from the rest was in Broly, where the form was very difficult to transform into and (to a lesser extent) maintain. Where God had very flowing movements and attacks like Whis or Beerus, Blue was about raw power. A kind of "I gotta hurry up and take you down" fighting style.
Even then you could make the argument that, that isn't any different from Super Saiyan 3, or even unmastered Super Saiyan.
The only other time Blue did something that felt unique and completely its own was when Goku busted out the Kaioken. Playing into the intense Ki control was something unique to this form. Outside of that I can't think of anything to defend Blue.
An argument that I agree with is that Blue would be more interesting if say you could only maintain the form with a calm mind. Say if when Goku raged at Zamasu he lost his Blue state because he couldn't control his emotions, thus losing Ki control. Something like that could be cool and help the form stand out, but I guess Toriyama or the Dragon Room didn't want to do anything creative with it.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:15 am

The problem with Blue is that it was a last minute addition leading up to the release of Resurrection F solely created to sell more toys, retcons the direction of Godly transformations and it's now become the new default transformation that Goku and Vegeta rely on.

Even calling it the Super Saiyan version of Super Saiyan God doesn't justify it's existence because the latter was meant to be its own unique thing on a separate spectrum, hence mortals not being able to sense the ki of a Saiyan who transforms into a God. Blue also undoes God's focus on more divine technique by falling back on raw power.

It's ironic that "God" was dropped from the official term only to give it a name that implies it's just another level up from the original Super Saiyan transformation.

Ultra Instinct feels like a more natural progression from Super Saiyan God, even if it is its own thing the concept works better because they both emphasize there being more to battle than pure strength.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 am

Regular Super Saiyan has always been my favorite.

Nowadays Super Saiyan Blue comes in second.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:15 amThe problem with Blue is that it was a last minute addition leading up to the release of Resurrection F solely created to sell more toys, retcons the direction of Godly transformations and it's now become the new default transformation that Goku and Vegeta rely on.
Source for any of that?

The only "retcon" (if one can call it that) in regards to the original direction would be the return of SSG. Blue is actually a natural progression since it's the Super Saiyan transformation of a Saiyan with god ki (a SSG).

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:41 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 am

The only "retcon" (if one can call it that) in regards to the original direction would be the return of SSG. Blue is actually a natural progression since it's the Super Saiyan transformation of a Saiyan with god ki (a SSG).
There is nothing natural sounding about “A Super Saiyan of a a Super Saiyan with God ki”

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:05 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 amSource for any of that?

My point is that the standard Super Saiyan form relies on normal ki whereas Super Saiyan God uses God ki. If the two are on different spectrums then Blue using a combination of both forms of ki undoes the God transformations' use of ki being in any way distinct from that of Super Saiyan, and thusly Blue becomes just another generic transformation.

Also, the only way for Goku's explanation of what Blue is to make sense is if we're assuming Super Saiyan God is a base form, which it can't be because it's a transformation on its own and it can't be a form of Super Saiyan (as the name implies) if Blue is a Super Saiyan version of it.

I just don't think the forms were thought through.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:25 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:05 amMy point is that the standard Super Saiyan form relies on normal ki whereas Super Saiyan God uses God ki. If the two are on different spectrums then Blue using a combination of both forms of ki undoes the God transformations' use of ki being in any way distinct from that of Super Saiyan, and thusly Blue becomes just another generic transformation.
How does it cease to be distinct? I don't understand the alleged inconsistency. Blue is not a combination. It's the Super Saiyan state of a Saiyan with god ki.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:05 amAlso, the only way for Goku's explanation of what Blue is to make sense is if we're assuming Super Saiyan God is a base form, which it can't be because it's a transformation on its own and it can't be a form of Super Saiyan (as the name implies) if Blue is a Super Saiyan version of it.
Super Saiyan God is a Saiyan with god ki. Super Saiyan Blue is a Super Saiyan with god ki. Seems pretty straightforward to me. What I would call a retcon was turning SSG into a transformation. But that would be a different discussion altogether.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:05 amI just don't think the forms were thought through.
Okay, even though I disagree that's different from the unsubstantiated claims you made, hence why I questioned them.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:41 amThere is nothing natural sounding about “A Super Saiyan of a a Super Saiyan with God ki”
Nobody said that, and how it sounds is irrelevant to my point.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:29 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:25 am
Nobody said that, and how it sounds is irrelevant to my point.
Your point had to leave out the part that Saiyan with God ki is already a form of Super Saiyan. There is no natural progression of Super Saiyan with God ki” and now “Super Saiyan of a Super Saiyan God”

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:36 am

Super Saiyan 3.

I like the long hair, the way it incorporates the lightning effect from Super Saiyan 2- making it feel like a natural progression from that form, and I like how it makes everyone who has it look genuinely fierce (except Broly, he already looked fierce enough so it doesn't add much for him). I also like that it has actual drawbacks that have to be accounted for (and how failing to do so can have dire consequences). I also like the implication that people don't have eyebrows in the form because everything hair-wise goes towards all the extra hair it generates (I love how Heroes plays with this by giving Nappa Super Saiyan 3 but having it give him a golden beard instead of long hair since he's bald).

Finally, I like how its plays to the subversive aspects of the Buu arc as a whole. It reads like Toriyama thought it would be funny to make the new Super Saiyan form as over the top cool looking as possible, only for it be largely ineffective in stopping the villain due to its drawbacks, ultimately only being useful for stalling the villain while the real solution came from something else this time.
Last edited by Majin Buu on Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:56 am

Super Saiyan 4, Super Saiyan Blue Evolution, Super Saiyan 4 Limit Breaker (SDBH), Super Saiyan Blue Evolution Berserker (SDBH)

Non-official, but Super Saiyan 5 is possibly my favorite transformation.

Also shout out to Super Saiyan Blue, which has successfully become the staple form for Goku and Vegeta.

Extra shout out to Super Saiyan, since it’s what started this all and is supremely awesome.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:19 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:25 amHow does it cease to be distinct? I don't understand the alleged inconsistency. Blue is not a combination. It's the Super Saiyan state of a Saiyan with god ki.
Because "Super Saiyan God" implies the Red haired form is a Super Saiyan form in of itself rather than a Saiyan with god Ki. For Blue to be Super Saiyan stacked on top of that that would make it the Super Saiyan state of another Super Saiyan form. It would be like creating a new transformation with the bodily features of Super Saiyan 4 but with a new hair colour and aura and calling it "Super Saiyan 4 Super Saiyan". That's why the God forms are no longer distinct. Blue made it less about divine power and more about further progressions of raw strength like the original yellow haired Super Saiyan forms.
Luso Saiyan wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:25 amSuper Saiyan God is a Saiyan with god ki. Super Saiyan Blue is a Super Saiyan with god ki. Seems pretty straightforward to me. What I would call a retcon was turning SSG into a transformation. But that would be a different discussion altogether.
Thats why it doesn't make sense they called the Red form "Super Saiyan" God. The name implies it's a part of the original Super Saiyan spectrum (which includes all the Yellow forms and Super Saiyan 4), which it can't be if it's only a Saiyan with God ki. It's for this reason I see it as Super Saiyan in name only, but for that reason it felt unique before Blue was created. I've said before that it would have made more sense and validated Goku's explanation for Freeza if the Red and Blue forms were called "Saiyan God" and "Super Saiyan God" respectively. They weren't named as such because the Blue form was an afterthought and likely not even a consideration when the Red form was first designed.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:55 pm

Super Saiyan 4 isn't part of the Super Saiyan "spectrum" either. Its name was out of convenience. Like Super Saiyan God, it should have a different name to reflect that.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:33 pm

Majin Buu wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:36 am Super Saiyan 3.

I like the long hair, the way it incorporates the lightning effect from Super Saiyan 2- making it feel like a natural progression from that form, and I like how it makes everyone who has it look genuinely fierce (except Broly, he already looked fierce enough so it doesn't add much for him). I also like that it has actual drawbacks that have to be accounted for (and how failing to do so can have dire consequences). I also like the implication that people don't have eyebrows in the form because everything hair-wise goes towards all the extra hair it generates (I love how Heroes plays with this by giving Nappa Super Saiyan 3 but having it give him a golden beard instead of long hair since he's bald).

Finally, I like how its plays to the subversive aspects of the Buu arc as a whole. It reads like Toriyama thought it would be funny to make the new Super Saiyan form as over the top cool looking as possible, only for it be largely ineffective in stopping the villain due to its drawbacks, ultimately only being useful for stalling the villain while the real solution came from something else this time.
I'm always hearing how "SSJ3 didn't do anything" as a detractor to the form, but this is exactly what I love about it as well. Aside from the crazy, cool appearance, I like that it's the "emergency" transformation every time it's brought out, yet even it doesn't get the job done (besides Wrath of the Dragon that is). It feels like the form is so powerful that it's difficult to harness.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.