Your Absolute Favorite Part/Aspect of the Series

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Your Absolute Favorite Part/Aspect of the Series

Post by BeaBumby » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:13 am

C'mon, spit it out! I want some PASSION!~
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Your Absolute Favorite Part/Aspect of the Series

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:19 am

The adventure and character development.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:11 am

Overall, 1. Toriyama's art style. There's something about his art and some others from the anime team's art that sets DB apart from other fighting shounens that are "deeper" and "better" than it. It's like, i look at fanarts of Goku from other prominent artists like Naruto's or Bleach's and go "If that had been how Goku looked like the entire series, i wouldn't have been so passionate and spent my entire youth being pumped for this plot or these characters."

2. Vegeta and Ryo Horikawa. Nuff said. A compelling character and the voice made him more so. Same as 1, i wouldnt have been a stan if another had voiced him. I have watched animes solely just for Horikawa.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:28 pm

Even after going from "I only know Z and on, I don't care about OG DB" to watching the Dragon Ball anime, barely starting Z, and then just starting over with the manga AND loving every second of it...

It sounds generic, but my favorite part is "haha strong people go punch punch pew pew" :lol:

I certainly do have a great appreciation for other aspects like Toriyama's art style (as mentioned before me), but Dragon Ball will probably always be my "comfort series" because it's as easy as it is fun to watch some characters banter with each other (to varying degrees of animosity) before fighting until the island, planet, galaxy, or universe is facing total destruction!

There is a close second, but I think it's more or less intertwined with the first: the charm of the series.

Starting from the very first arc, there's something undeniably charming about the way Son Goku behaves and interacts with everyone around him, from Bulma to Kuririn to both Piccolos to Vegeta, etc. and, to me, into the Super era as well with Beerus, Zen'o, Jiren, and his banter with Freeza.

The reason I say they're intertwined is because I find the crazy fights and wacky powerups equally charming as the characters in a weird way... but that's something purely emotional I can't explain!

All that said, I really do love all of Dragon Ball and there's not really any part I can say I "dislike"; but at the end of the day, I'm there for people aggressively touching each other :P
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:01 pm

How un-cynical it manages to be (in spite of some characters that could almost reflect a cynical outlook on society at first glance), and thus the way the series combines its different elements to create a sense of adventure, fun, and hopefulness. No matter how dark Dragon Ball gets, hope and optimism are its underlying themes.
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:05 pm

The "light touch" of Toriyama's character concepts and his snappy pacing. In a lesser manga we'd be punished with endless flashbacks about Tien's traumatic past. In Dragon Ball we still don't know how he met Chaotzu and our lives are better for it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:54 pm

The sense of optimism and Toriyama's unique art style, both of which are extremely endearing and set the series apart from any other anime I've seen.

It's not the best written series ever, or even perfect but it just has a special charm and magic to it that I haven't got from a lot of franchises. Only intellectual property that has had the same effect on me is Star Wars, which interestingly enough Toriyama also loves.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: