DBZ and DBS Goku switch places, how different would DBZ and DBS be?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

DBZ and DBS Goku switch places, how different would DBZ and DBS be?

Post by super michael » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:12 pm

Let say somehow someone switches DBZ Goku and DBS Goku personality and intelligence, just how different would DBZ and DBS be? How different would that affect the plot of the story and the story in general?

DBZ would have Goku with the personality and intelligence of DBS.
DBS would have Goku with the personality and intelligence of DBZ.

I can't take credit for this thread, I got the idea from another member.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: DBZ and DBS Goku switch places, how different would DBZ and DBS be?

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:28 pm

Not much as the story doesn't really turn on Goku's intelligent decisions.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:45 pm

I can see these difference in DBZ if it was DBS Goku:

Goku would forget to get senzu beans when heading to his battle in the Saiyan Saga and Namek Saga.
Goku wouldn't be able to react to Jeice attack which would injure him.
Goku wouldn't focus on getting Gohan strong, so he would train alone making his gain less than training with someone strong.
Goku would forget his senzu beans in the Cell Games.

In the Buu Saga he wouldn't want anyone to fight Buu but himself, he won't think of future threats.
He wouldn't teach anyone anything like fusion techniques.
He would forget the senzu beans in the Buu Saga.
His guard would be down against Kid Buu that he gets turned to candy and absorbed.
Goku wouldn't know how to get Elder Kaioshin to help him.
Last edited by super michael on Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:02 pm

We get it, Super Goku is dumb and forgets senzu and lets his guard down. What is your aim with this thread? Are you looking for anything of substance?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:13 pm

My aim is to see if someone can come up with ideas that no one has thought of. I have mentioned how DBZ would be different if DBS Goku was in it, however if DBZ Goku was in DBS here are some changes.

I can imagine the whole Zamasu being unbeatable wouldn't happen and Future Trunks time line wouldn't get erased, since Goku wouldn't forget anything to seal him.
Goku wouldn't be fooled by Beerus lies and his costume. He was smart to know Kami was in a disguise as a human and figured out his lie.

Apart from that I can't think of much differences. Maybe he might fight better but the end results would be different except for Zamasu, the plot of Beerus and Monaka wouldn't change at all.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:34 pm

Probably not much. A lot of Goku's "stupidity" in Super is surface-level and played for comedy; it doesn't run as deeply as it seems it does, it's just that the nature of some of the plot points or gags (ie. Goku forgetting senzu; Goku not knowing what kissing is) have an increased emphasis on this side of the character. I may not be a fan of this emphasis on it, but I do think it can be a bit exaggerated how different Goku is between Z and Super (even from myself sometimes). But the character's genius has always been rooted in his own martial arts capabilities, not so much social etiquette, worldly knowledge or planning.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:59 pm

Trunks' timeline was always gonna get erased regardless because that's how the writers wanted the story to go. I don't see the senzu having any effect on that point.

Nothing substantive would change as Goku's stupidity isn't the reason he deals with so many of the opponents he faces.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:10 am

Super Goku would have forgotten why he sent Gohan onto the battle field to fight Cell.

Z Goku also wouldn't have fell for Beerus dressing up as Monaka.

Both are the same character, with mostly the same motives but the writing for one is more played up for gags, whereas the other is more grounded.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Nagyzöld
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nagyzöld » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:33 am

I can't think of anything of relevance because I feel both would make the same decisions, but I imagine at the beginning of Z Goku would be off training somewhere and mostly absent from home. Even when Chichi is giving birth.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:43 am

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:28 pm Not much as the story doesn't really turn on Goku's intelligent decisions.
Basically, "They're the same picture"
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:41 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:59 pm Trunks' timeline was always gonna get erased regardless because that's how the writers wanted the story to go. I don't see the senzu having any effect on that point.

Nothing substantive would change as Goku's stupidity isn't the reason he deals with so many of the opponents he faces.
There the Urn and the Talisman that would have sealed Zamasu or Merged Zamasu, which would defeat Zamasu and save Future Trunks time line.

Goku stupidity made it impossible to defeat Zamasu, which is how Future Trunks got erased since he needed Zeno.

So Goku being forgetful and relying on Zeno = Future Trunks time line erased.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:40 pm

I'm sure that even if Goku wasn't written as exaggerated as he was in Super, the writers would find a way for Trunks' timeline to be erased. The senzu wouldn't have made much of a difference because that's how storytelling works. You figure out an ending and write towards that. The end is the same, but how they get there would be slightly different. So instead of them forgetting those things, the writers might have Zamasu destroy them.

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:39 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:40 pm I'm sure that even if Goku wasn't written as exaggerated as he was in Super, the writers would find a way for Trunks' timeline to be erased. The senzu wouldn't have made much of a difference because that's how storytelling works. You figure out an ending and write towards that. The end is the same, but how they get there would be slightly different. So instead of them forgetting those things, the writers might have Zamasu destroy them.
Honestly I just wish the ending was different
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:17 am

Zamasu wouldn't go rogue because Goku wouldn't act like a retard towards him and would try to be more respectful. He indeed seemed more respectful towards the Gods (Supreme Kais) in DBZ, although I might remember wrong.

It is Canonically stated by Bulma that the only reason the whole mess in the FT arc started is because "Goku just wanted to pick a fight". We see with Future Zamasu that if Goku never challenged and humiliated Zamasu, he would never have gotten the will to act against mortals.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:01 am

Probably, a little more banter with Freeza, no stare contests with android 19 and 20, and a lot of smiling back at Cell.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:38 pm

I sadly don't have link, but i remember reading fan edited Goku arrival to battle with Freeza on Namek, and if he was like his Super counterpart. :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:25 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:17 am Zamasu wouldn't go rogue because Goku wouldn't act like a retard towards him and would try to be more respectful. He indeed seemed more respectful towards the Gods (Supreme Kais) in DBZ, although I might remember wrong.

It is Canonically stated by Bulma that the only reason the whole mess in the FT arc started is because "Goku just wanted to pick a fight". We see with Future Zamasu that if Goku never challenged and humiliated Zamasu, he would never have gotten the will to act against mortals.
Dude was going rogue regardless. I know you will disagree, but he wasn't disrespected. Nothing so ridiculously slight could possibly cause someone to want to commit mass genocide.

Besides, Zamasu isn't entitled to respect.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 pm

DBS Goku wouldn't be afraid of Raditz because he tends to be oblivious to danger. He'd likely get himself killed fighting him one on one in a fit of excitement.

DBS Goku probably wouldn't delegate as much either because he wants the fun to himself. He'd probably fight 2nd Form Cell when they meet and get killed.

If Z Goku were in Super I can't see him harassing Zamasu to the point were they fight. This would mean the Black arc goes very differently, without Goku's body being stolen. Perhaps they would actually save Trunks's timeline.

I'm not sure the Tournament of Power would happen at all. He'd want it for sure, but he wouldn't keep on and on about it as obsessively, and might ultimately drop it after being warned by Beerus.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:50 am

ABED wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:25 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:17 am Zamasu wouldn't go rogue because Goku wouldn't act like a retard towards him and would try to be more respectful. He indeed seemed more respectful towards the Gods (Supreme Kais) in DBZ, although I might remember wrong.

Dude was going rogue regardless. I know you will disagree, but he wasn't disrespected. Nothing so ridiculously slight could possibly cause someone to want to commit mass genocide.

Besides, Zamasu isn't entitled to respect.
False. As per [Future] Zamasu's own admission, he lacked the will to act. This Zamasu never met Goku. He would still dislike mortals, but so does Kibito.

And Yes, Zamasu is entitled to respect, being a God. What Goku did to him was extremely disrespectful and despicable. Repeatedly harassing him, looking for a fight, doing so on the Sacred world of the Kais (a world that shouldn't be a battlefield, because Kais are Gods of peace), etc. Then even making fun of Shin (another God).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:43 am

Respect is earned. He's not entitled to it just because he was born into a role. Goku was looking for a friendly contest, but sure, universal genocide isa reasonable reaction to the SLIGHTEST of slights.
I'm not sure the Tournament of Power would happen at all. He'd want it for sure, but he wouldn't keep on and on about it as obsessively, and might ultimately drop it after being warned by Beerus.
He wasn't the cause of the ToP. He just made it happen sooner. These are characters who when told not to kick the hornets nest, they do it.
He'd likely get himself killed fighting him one on one in a fit of excitement.
He's the main character. Toriyama is not killing him like that.