Should Dragon Ball Have Stopped After Cell?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Should Dragon Ball Have Stopped After Cell?

Post by ABED » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:59 am

But the handover occurs here. Again, the execution was lackluster, but the intent is for him to be the main character by the Cell Games.
that doesn’t he mean he never set up things for later like Roshi inviting Goku to train under him after his dragon ball hunt and Bulma giving Goku her dragon radar at the end to find his grandpa’s dragon ball. He probably didn’t have any clue what all that would entail but he did set up that Goku would train under Roshi and then later look for his grandpa’s ball.
But that's not the solution to the current arc. It was an indication of something down the road.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Mireya
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Should Dragon Ball Have Stopped After Cell?

Post by Mireya » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:17 pm

If Toriyama had been given the option to end the series right there, he would.
This is what I mean by it only works as a ending if you follow the mindset that Dragon Ball and DBZ are separate stories (despite no distinction existing in the manga) its only a good ending if you pretend it’s been Gohan’s story since the Saiyan arc. And it really hasn’t been. He was most prominent in the arc he was introduced in …just like practically every other character. After that he took a backseat until Goku pulled him as a trump card. This isn’t the logical conclusion to Gohan coming into his own it’s Toriyama realizing there’s not much else he can do with Goku and trying to switch gears to his son. It’s not an ending. It’s the start of a new beginning (that we all know Toriyama back tracked on)
That isn't relevant at all. The story was focused on Goku... but it doesn't have to be always Goku. Many stories start focusing on the protagonist for the torch to he passed to the next generation. In fact, the Boo arc wanted to pass the role to the next generation... but AT didn't seem it as fitting iirc. A story starting with a protagonist focused character doesn't have to remain always focused on them. Goku said "Gohan's way more dependable than me now", and that's perfect. Goku said that he wants Gohan to be stronger than him while in the RoSaT... there was a clear wish of handing this significance to his son.
Being earth’s protector isn’t Goku’s thing. He does it but its not his motivation. He wants to fight stronger
It isn't Goku's thing, but that's what he ends up doing. And it isn't simply Earth's protection. It's his friends' protection. He was driven by revenge of Roshi and Kuririn vs Piccolo, he was driven by revenge vs Nappa, he took on the Saiyans' pain and Namekians' pain vs Freeza... it has an important role on his motivation.
Which is truer to the spirit of the journey (find stronger opponents) than “I’m gonna stay dead , Gohan you do you buddy whatever that
That's part of the reason. He's doing it for both. Goku cares about both.
It wasn’t
It was at least intended to be. Until Toriyama saw it was more fitting to have Goku. But I'm discussing what I think Toriyama's motivations are and Goku's motivations are quite clear.