Copyright Law and Dragon Ball GB

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Copyright Law and Dragon Ball GB

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:42 pm

Ladies, gentlemen, and everyone else in between on Kanzenshuu, welcome to the first episode of -

HOW!
F*CKED!
IS!
FPSSJ4_GOKU?

(applause)

Let's begin with our first topic. Copyright law! So as you all may or may not know, I have two of my own Dragon Ball fan series known as Dragon Ball GB and Super Dragon Ball GB. These are mostly made via Gacha Club, but that's not all. The openings and endings use footage from the Tournament of Power, Dragon Ball Super: Broly, and Dragon Ball GT. A recent episode of Super Dragon Ball GB used footage from the episode where Trunks kills Freeza (with Japanese broadcast audio, of course). The sound effects come from Dragon Ball Z. Both series has used Kikuchi songs from Dragon Ball, Z and the movies, Tokunaga songs from GT, three or four of Sumitomo's songs from Dragon Ball Super, Cha-La Head-Cha-La, Makafushigi Adventure, We Gotta Power, the Arabic Dragon Ball theme song, an instrumental remix of that song, another remix of that song, orchestral remixes of two Kikuchi songs, the Arabic theme song for an obscure 90s anime, etc. etc.

TL;DR, throughout Dragon Ball GB's history, I've used a lot of stuff from the Dragon Ball franchise that isn't mine, and this has gotten me countless copyright claims on YouTube (surprisingly, they didn't copyright claim me for using audio from Japanese Dragon Ball Kai and the broadcast audio from Dragon Ball Z). So it's time to answer the big question...

HOW!
F*CKED!
AM I?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Copyright Law and Dragon Ball GB

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:42 am

How is everything going now?

I used to follow Kaioshin Curt Channel but he quit his channel in May when the copyright issues started to be harsh on many channels, they never actually copyright stroke him but he wanted to play it safe, I kinda stop posting my AMVs on Youtube cause of the same reason.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:10 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:42 am How is everything going now?
For one, I uploaded a new video, and it got copyright claimed for 3 songs - the Arabic opening for DBZ, a song from the Metal Cooler movie, and the Arabic theme song of that obscure 90s anime I talked about.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:53 am

Any time you use something that you didn't create--music, audio, video footage, characters--you are subject to copyright issues. The very reason that someone would spend money on a copyright (and believe me, it's not cheap nor all that simple) is to claim ownership of a type of intellectual property. This means that as the public owner, the copyright holder may choose to exercise their ownership. In fact, if they do not actively exercise their ownership, they might lose it.

Anything on YouTube, or anywhere else, that uses copyrighted material including but not limited to Dragon Ball is subject to the owner exercising their ownership. It doesn't matter why it's being used, doesn't matter how--Toei (in this case) may choose to protect their legally owned property.

People will try to educate themselves on copyright law through Google, but only end up understanding broad strokes and not intricate detail. So, many will claim that they found a loophole and a way around copyright law, but they fail to understand that they actually haven't. And all I'll say is if it was as easy to evade copyright law as making it "non-profit" or "transforming it" (which many don't understand what that means) or parodying or whatever, then every infringer would do the same and the entire concept of copyright law would be useless.

So, in a nutshell: don't be surprised when the owner comes to collect their property.

I am not giving you or anyone else here legal advice.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:11 am

There was a time, where people were sharing stuff on locked forums, peer to peer, burnt discs and were feeling like pirates, including the adrenaline, being bombarded by trailers that downloading is stealing etc. Basically a group of friends or fans that were sharing rips of rare vinyl records or scans of some japanese or other books and materials, that were either rare or hard to come by as importing was hellishly expensive.

But as internet became more accesible, more fast, connections between people bigger and less intimate and personal as back then, Youtube and others came in... everyone somehow lost their senses.

I see people here and there uploading anything on youtube and explaining that it adheres to youtube policy and that when you can't hold it in your hands, it is for free and everyone is entitled for everything.
Evil companies wanting your money for properties they have created or licensed from the creators that they represent.

Isn't it a crazy world we live in? :lol: I am sarcastic of course, but you are using copyrighted characters, stories, sounds, music, footage, image... sure, the owner can step in any time he decides that he doesn't like what you are doing in whatever possible scenario imaginable and claim their rights. Rightly so.
You can always do fan work of course, but this might happen and that's the reality at a moment when the company notices and decides they don't agree with either you using their material or how you handle it. Basically you working with their property might be the sole reason.
But if you're not monetizing or interfere with the property in harmful way, you should be OK.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:40 pm

On Youtube copyright stuff, there're something called Content ID and copyright takedown.

Content ID is just an automatic system to detect copyright materials on the site. If your video got hit by Content ID, it just means that the monetization of the content goes to the copyrighted owners. There is no penalty on you as an uploader. The owner decides if they want to keep the content alive or not, which mostly they do keep it, I mean why not.

The only thing that you need to pay attention is that those copyright claims will affect your monetization eligibility. So if you're to upload your own contents and monetize them in the future, do them in a separate channel.

A copyright takedown notice is when the owner formally (manually) filed a copyright claim to youtube, resulting in your videos being taken down from the site. And when you have 5 videos taken down in a day, you'll get a copyright strike. 3 strikes and it will be a permanent ban. 3 months of good standing will released a strike. So, unless some motherfucker decided to completely take your channel down by filing 15 copyright takedown notices in a row, you should be fine.

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:21 pm

I'd love to be able to make a bit of money from my YouTube videos one day, but I don't know where to start. (By the way, the characters of Son Goku only appears in one episode and only for a few seconds as a throwaway fight.) Any ideas?

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:38 pm

On the topic of YouTube, I follow a few channels and what I've heared is that you can use up to 8 seconds of a song audio. I dont know how does it apply to video or still images specifically.

I know there are ways to fool YT's algorithms/bots by adding filters and pixel matrix on videos.

Also by own experience I can tell you when you reach certain popularity in one of your videos as long as you use music from the 80s and all the way til mid 2000s they dont strike you precisely but they would demonetize you and also add commercials to your videos. I think that is much better than just deleting videos.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:28 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:53 am Any time you use something that you didn't create--music, audio, video footage, characters--you are subject to copyright issues. The very reason that someone would spend money on a copyright (and believe me, it's not cheap nor all that simple) is to claim ownership of a type of intellectual property. This means that as the public owner, the copyright holder may choose to exercise their ownership. In fact, if they do not actively exercise their ownership, they might lose it.

Anything on YouTube, or anywhere else, that uses copyrighted material including but not limited to Dragon Ball is subject to the owner exercising their ownership. It doesn't matter why it's being used, doesn't matter how--Toei (in this case) may choose to protect their legally owned property.

People will try to educate themselves on copyright law through Google, but only end up understanding broad strokes and not intricate detail. So, many will claim that they found a loophole and a way around copyright law, but they fail to understand that they actually haven't. And all I'll say is if it was as easy to evade copyright law as making it "non-profit" or "transforming it" (which many don't understand what that means) or parodying or whatever, then every infringer would do the same and the entire concept of copyright law would be useless.

So, in a nutshell: don't be surprised when the owner comes to collect their property.

I am not giving you or anyone else here legal advice.
I actually did not know the intricacies of copy right before.
I saw a video Geekdom did commenting on Totally Not Mark, he said Mark was transformative, but was he though? And does this mean no one can use any kind of visual property without direct permission? So basically you can’t even talk about it with pictures from the show moving along the screen?

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:00 am

Aim wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:28 am I actually did not know the intricacies of copy right before.
I saw a video Geekdom did commenting on Totally Not Mark, he said Mark was transformative, but was he though? And does this mean no one can use any kind of visual property without direct permission? So basically you can’t even talk about it with pictures from the show moving along the screen?
Yes.
Something is considered transformative under Copyright law, when it serves a different purpose from the original.

A review or an analysis of a film or a character, using clips from the original to help ilustrate points being made about it, serves a different purpose than the film itself.
Therefore Marks videos were transformative, yes, and therefore fell under fair use.
Same as Abridged falls under fair use for being a parody (because it's a form of criticism, which is also fair use)

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:15 pm

And also keep in mind that it would be to the specific judge prociding over a case to interpret what these term mean. Which can be swayed by the attorneys involved and previous case involving these things.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:45 am

dva_raza wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:00 am
Aim wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:28 am I actually did not know the intricacies of copy right before.
Yes.
Something is considered transformative under Copyright law, when it serves a different purpose from the original.

A review or an analysis of a film or a character, using clips from the original to help ilustrate points being made about it, serves a different purpose than the film itself.
Therefore Marks videos were transformative, yes, and therefore fell under fair use.
Same as Abridged falls under fair use for being a parody (because it's a form of criticism, which is also fair use)
I see, how come Mike says it isn’t? Mike said that AB is far too close to the original to be considered a parody.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:07 am

Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:15 pm And also keep in mind that it would be to the specific judge prociding over a case to interpret what these term mean. Which can be swayed by the attorneys involved and previous case involving these things.
Couldn’t mark technically have a case for suing Toei for being responsible for taking away his income? So even if it does take a lot of money to sue, couldn’t he equally sue to have double the money given back to him for the damages they caused?

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:11 am

Aim wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:45 am I see, how come Mike says it isn’t? Mike said that AB is far too close to the original to be considered a parody.
Well I don’t know, Aim. My reply to that is on that same thread, maybe I am wrong but the points for which I thought its a parody still stand if they havent’ been debunked.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:41 am

dva_raza wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:11 am
Aim wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:45 am I see, how come Mike says it isn’t? Mike said that AB is far too close to the original to be considered a parody.
Well I don’t know, Aim. My reply to that is on that same thread, maybe I am wrong but the points for which I thought its a parody still stand if they havent’ been debunked.
No need to be mean about it… jeeze, I haven’t been following this thread for ages, don’t even remember Mike responding to you.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:19 pm

Aim wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:07 am
Anonymous Friend wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:15 pm And also keep in mind that it would be to the specific judge prociding over a case to interpret what these term mean. Which can be swayed by the attorneys involved and previous case involving these things.
Couldn’t mark technically have a case for suing Toei for being responsible for taking away his income? So even if it does take a lot of money to sue, couldn’t he equally sue to have double the money given back to him for the damages they caused?
Lol, no.

That's like a professional thief suing someone for taking their stuff back.

Plus, Toei didn't take anything away. Mark has his stuff on Youtube's servers. Youtube blocked access to view the stuff from their servers. Mark's content is, most likely, still on Youtube's servers, perhaps. Just not publically viewable.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:45 am

Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:19 pm
Lol, no.

Plus, Toei didn't take anything away. Mark has his stuff on Youtube's servers. Youtube blocked access to view the stuff from their servers. Mark's content is, most likely, still on Youtube's servers, perhaps. Just not publically viewable.
Not remotely the same thing, Mark isn't a "thief", that's just ludicrous. It's not like he's just uploading full episodes of the show or anything like that, THAT would be stealing.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:43 am

Toei has a legit case for suing Mark since he sells unlicensed bootleg Goku shirts.
Plus, he uses his channel for exposure, leading up to sales of his illegal merch.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:47 pm

KingVegetto wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:45 am
Lol, no.

Not remotely the same thing, Mark isn't a "thief", that's just ludicrous. It's not like he's just uploading full episodes of the show or anything like that, THAT would be stealing.
What do you call someone using someone else's stuff without their consent?

I've watched, and enjoyed, a large portion of Mark's channel over the years. But he was in fact using something he didn't own, on a platform he doesn't own. And that's why it was able to be taken down so easily.

KingVegetto
Not-So-Newbie

Post by KingVegetto » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:25 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:47 pm
KingVegetto wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:45 am

Lol, no.

What do you call someone using someone else's stuff without their consent?

I've watched, and enjoyed, a large portion of Mark's channel over the years. But he was in fact using something he didn't own, on a platform he doesn't own. And that's why it was able to be taken down so easily.
Have you never heard of fair use? By that logic no Youtuber is EVER allowed to review a movie by using clips from it because they are a "thief", that does not make any kind of logical sense in any universe :?

He was taken down so easily because Youtube are too cowardly to stand up to big corporations.

Sorry but your claims about Mark are not remotely true in the slightest.