What would make a good ending for the series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: What would make a good ending for the series?

Post by Skar » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:34 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:13 amThere. Events could happen, therefore the original endings are "open". Are they stupid as hell? Yep. Do they loosely follow the same theme as the previous work? Yep. Do they qualify here? Also yep. You want me to think up sequels to these sequels? 'Cause I'll do it.

You're right. This conversation IS over.
We all seem to disagree on what counts as an ending so I'm curious what you would consider a good ending for the series? It could be the conclusion to DBS or like another epilogue taking place after EoZ.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:23 am

Skar wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:34 pmWe all seem to disagree on what counts as an ending so I'm curious what you would consider a good ending for the series? It could be the conclusion to DBS or like another epilogue taking place after EoZ.
Wow. I typed up a WHOLE thing in response to this, and I lost it because I hit "preview" while I wasn't logged in.

I am...SO irritated right now.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:22 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:23 amWow. I typed up a WHOLE thing in response to this, and I lost it because I hit "preview" while I wasn't logged in.

Damn I hate when that happens. I usually type longer comments in a notepad then copy them here. On mobile I sometimes accidentally close the tab or it asks me to login again after I hit submit :?.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:05 am

I liked the manga ending just fine, even if some people don't like it.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:53 pm

Skar wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:22 am
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:23 amWow. I typed up a WHOLE thing in response to this, and I lost it because I hit "preview" while I wasn't logged in.

Damn I hate when that happens. I usually type longer comments in a notepad then copy them here. On mobile I sometimes accidentally close the tab or it asks me to login again after I hit submit :?.
Okay...I'm going to try this again.

The answer that I gave before was that given the direction of the franchise, I don't know what a suitable ending would be because I don't have the material to work with and I don't want to just fly by the seat of my pants about it since that kind of defeats the point I was making.

Let me share something that I thought of a while back. It was a scene I imagined that was inspired by the bit with Nappa in GT and also all of the prior villains briefly coming back in Fusion Reborn. While Goku and the others are off doing something else, Freeza returns and finds Vegeta.

~~

Freeza: You know, I was hoping to return to a wider audience.

Vegeta: [Turns to face Freeza, who is standing across from him]

Freeza: A swath of Earthlings with mouths agape, eyes wide, in awe of the last thing they would ever see. I've grown a sense of humor over the years though, and for you to be the first living thing I lay my eyes on... [A sinister chuckle] ...oh, I find it delightfully ironic.

Vegeta: [His grin is to either ear, he sets his weight on one hip] I'm delighted to see you've grown in any sense, Freeza.

Freeza: [Laughs heartily] A most ironic stone thrown indeed, ahh. Seeing you, Vegeta, is a return to normalcy I deeply appreciate. Although you look a bit unfamiliar when you're not on one knee... [He smirks, brows creasing] Or kissing the dirt under my foot.

Vegeta: You seem a bit dull to me as well, Freeza. For the life of me, I can't imagine you not receiving the thrashing of your life at the hands of a saiyan.

Freeza: [Bobs a pointed finger] Now now, Vegeta. The only person in this universe who can defeat Lord Freeza is Lord Freeza. I am wise and humble enough to admit that it was my own hubris that cut me down.

Vegeta: [Clapping] Such charity, Freeza you have changed.

Freeza: [Gives a theatric bow, arms swung over his chest, then looks at Vegeta, his voice dropping a register] Come home, prince.

Vegeta: [Stops clapping, his smile disappears]

Freeza: [Walking toward Vegeta, eventually ending up next to him] It is time to put an end to the unfamiliar, and in this universe there is currently a pointed lack of fear of the name 'Freeza' that I find most vexing. Come back under my wing, Vegeta. It is where you belong. It is right and proper.

Vegeta: [Stands silent opposite Freeza]

Freeza: [Reaches up and condescendingly rubs Vegeta's hair] What say you, prince? Will you be a good boy?

Vegeta: [Grasps Freeza's wrist, and the sound of snapping bone can be heard, followed by a cry of pain from Freeza] What is all too familiar to me...is the indescribable hatred I have for you, and the seething rage I feel even when you're gone.

Freeza: [Struggling to extract his arm from Vegeta's grasp] Let go of me, you insolent little ape!

Vegeta: You killed my father. You massacred my people. You stripped away from me the one glimmer of faith I had in my life... [His brows furrow sternly and he tightens his grip, eliciting a squeal of anguish from Freeza] ...and left the door open for that clown to realize the legend I was meant to become. And now, you have committed your greatest sin against me yet, for you have brought me disappointment.

Freeza: W-what?!

Vegeta: I was soothed for so long by the fantasy that I might one day be able to convey to you just how deeply I hate you. I ached for the opportunity to beat you to death with every ounce of strength in my body, that was the therapy I dreamed of. And yet, now... [Vegeta jerks his hand back, and without any visible effort expended, he pulls Freeza's arm right from the socket of its elbow]

Freeza: [Wails in agony, staggering backward]

Vegeta: [Walking with an eerie coolness after Freeza] Now, a single ounce is all that is required. There will be no catharsis, killing you will be the most joyless act I've ever performed.

Freeza: [Stumbling backward, eyes wide, mouth ajar]

Vegeta: [Drives his fist forward into Freeza's chest. What follows is an explosion of viscera as half of Freeza's torso vaporizes, leaving a mangled body to collapse pitifully onto the ground]

Vegeta: [Stares unwaveringly for a long moment. His face then contorts into a grimace of up-swelling rage, and with a furious yell he shoots to his knees and punches through Freeza's decrepit corpse into the ground below, which shatters and blows apart with incredible force and violence. Freeza's remains blow away, and Vegeta is left pounding his fists into the ground which craters beneath him, powerful winds whipping debris all about him as he growls ferociously, desperately looking for relief that isn't coming to him. Finally he ceases, eyes pinched shut and welling with tears, his shoulders wracked with sobs as he pushes his fingers up into his hair, gripping painfully. The shot pans out.]

~~

This is movement. This is the bringing to a head of a theme and a character conflict. It's not necessarily an ending but it is absolutely a note you could end Vegeta's perspective on in a movie or a saga. It's emotionally heavy and it's supported by a very long line of events. It resolves something, at least to a point.

In no way am I saying that an ending to DB has to be downright depressing or even forlorn, but something about it has to MATTER. Struggles need to be addressed other than "who can punch each other the hardest".
Special Beam Cannon!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Skar wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:22 am Damn I hate when that happens. I usually type longer comments in a notepad then copy them here. On mobile I sometimes accidentally close the tab or it asks me to login again after I hit submit :?.
for the first year or so i was on this site, i used a extremely crappy tablet that was legitimately like 13 dollars, and honestly it was fine but chrome would just...randomly crash. so, so often when i tried to reply i would get ready to submit and it would crash and i'd lose my entire post, and it honestly made me so beyond frustrated, that to this day i have to copy every post i make just in case. honestly it's kinda helpful, just because if you're out and about or somewhere that isn't your home, you can get logged out on occasion.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:53 pm In no way am I saying that an ending to DB has to be downright depressing or even forlorn, but something about it has to MATTER. Struggles need to be addressed other than "who can punch each other the hardest".
Phew, well that's a good thing because all that is addressed. Goku is now a master with a pupil and the theme is dramatized.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:41 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:37 pm
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:53 pm In no way am I saying that an ending to DB has to be downright depressing or even forlorn, but something about it has to MATTER. Struggles need to be addressed other than "who can punch each other the hardest".
Phew, well that's a good thing because all that is addressed. Goku is now a master with a pupil and the theme is dramatized.
How? We know nothing about Uub other than "muh village" and there has been zero effort to shift the focus off of Goku.
Special Beam Cannon!

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:46 pm

I thought this conversation was over
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:54 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:46 pm I thought this conversation was over
Special Beam Cannon!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:57 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:41 pm" and there has been zero effort to shift the focus off of Goku.
It’s almost like it was written as an ending not the set up for a sequel 🤔

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:58 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:41 pm
ABED wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:37 pm
How? We know nothing about Uub other than "muh village" and there has been zero effort to shift the focus off of Goku.
Because it isn't about Uub, it's about Goku and his journey. The theme is there's always another hill to climb.

I'm more than willing to continue the conversation as long as you don't resort to insults.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:00 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:57 pm
Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:41 pm" and there has been zero effort to shift the focus off of Goku.
So explain to me how you can dramatize events that never happened
Special Beam Cannon!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:01 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:00 pm
Dramatized the theme.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:03 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:00 pm
It’s been explained to you multiple times in this one thread. I don’t feel like repeating myself ….again

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:03 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:53 pm It resolves something, at least to a point.
But what's left unresolved by the Manga's ending? Sure Vegeta is still open to one day surpassing Goku but he ultimately admitted that he's the best, Gohan is living his dream as a scholar and family man, Krillin and Yamcha are comfortably retired, Tien and Piccolo are living modest lives mildly dedicated to Martial Arts, Goten and Trunks are young adults living life pretty much on their own terms, Mr. Satan is still keeping kayfabe and remaining a world wide sensation and lastly Goku is training his Granddaughter and finally comes across the "New Boo" and offers to train him and ultimately get the rematch he desired.

Despite the open ending of "there may be more adventures along the way but this is good bye." Everything long term is pretty much wrapped up.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:04 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:03 pmBut what's left unresolved by the Manga's ending?
Nothing. Which was my point - there's nothing to resolve.
Special Beam Cannon!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:05 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:04 pm
goku the krump dancer wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:03 pmBut what's left unresolved by the Manga's ending?
Nothing. Which was my point - there's nothing to resolve.
The plot was resolved and there's no resolution to the theme because the point is there is no finish line.

Goku isn't at the last stage of his life, just the next stage. So there's s change.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:07 pm

Can we please not just sit here refreshing the thread to immediately respond to people within moments with just a few words of antagonism? Some of y'all are making things difficult lately, and it would be a shame to have to take additional action.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:08 pm

ABED wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:05 pmThe plot was resolved and there's no resolution to the theme because the point is there is no finish line.
Wow, you're really just gonna go and wholesale agree with my entire argument after five pages of bickering?
Special Beam Cannon!