FAVORITE CHARACTER EVER??????

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

FAVORITE CHARACTER EVER??????

Post by BeaBumby » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:37 pm

MORE PASSION
MORE LOVE ALL AROUND

SPREAD YOUR DEEPEST ADMIRATIONS FOR THE BEST EVER

for me my fave is Videl

it's like saiyaman but girl which is better
Hiya! I'm Bea :]
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: FAVORITE CHARACTER EVER??????

Post by sunsetshimmer » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:06 pm

Pan-chan is numero uno to me, followed by Videl. Overall i love entire family of Gohan, himself included (only adult version) and characters like Chichi, Satan or Mr Buu.

"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:32 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:06 pm Pan-chan is numero uno to me, followed by Videl. Overall i love entire family of Gohan, himself included (only adult version) and characters like Chichi, Satan or Mr Buu.

you and I are now besties
she/her yknow

uhhh me icon was drawn by bestest friend ever! feel free to compliment their artistic prowess!

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:53 pm

Decided to do a Top 5 since it's very close amongst these for me:

1. Piccolo
2. Son Gohan
3. Krillin
4. Son Goku
5. Bulma
Last edited by Demon Prince Piccolo on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:03 pm

gohan, he even made my favorite anime character bingo lmfao. i love the guy!

I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:19 pm

Piccolo of course

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:02 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:03 pm gohan, he even made my favorite anime character bingo lmfao. i love the guy!

KIKI <3
she/her yknow

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:23 pm

My top 5 (in no particular order):
-Goten
-Black
-Trunks
-Android 17
-Caulifla

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:15 am

This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:53 am

Whis, Goku, 18, Mr Satan are the spark for me.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:57 am

Easily Zamasu, for a vast plethora of different reasons.

- His personality: Zamasu is extremely methodical and thorough in his approach, often making sure that there's no one who can threaten him. He immediately and swiftly killed Goku after he had no use left for him, he surgically scoured the Cosmos for all the Gods and slaughtered them so that they would not impede his plans, and he hunted down and systematically eliminated all mortals in the Universes. He devised an extremely complex plan after careful planning, and following this plan he quickly got rid of anyone who could have posed an obstacle to him. But Zamasu is also very entertaining, he often makes jokes and laughs, he's not a boring generic villain, he is entertaining. Like that time when he said that he doesn't care if no one's listening to him because he doesn't need an audience (still my favourite and most relatable quote, like, ever). Or that time Goku Black (Zamasu) roasted Vegeta, calling him an "appetizer" and basically a snack before the main dish.

- His motivations: Zamasu is unique in the setting, he's not evil for the sake of being evil, he's a misguided God who always wanted to establish peace and order and destroy evil. He hunts down and kills mortals because he thinks that mortals are evil and a threat to the stability of the Cosmos. He genuinely believes he is doing the right thing and is righteous. And even if it's hard to justify his actions (although possible :think: ), that makes for an extremely complex and multi-layered villain, at least for DB standards. He even cries for his ideals because he genuinely believes he is doing a good thing and is just protecting the cosmos from creatures that he sees as evil. Even Toriyama said that Zamasu is a unique villain and the first villain in the franchise who is not just an evil monster who does evil things for shits and giggles. He was originally good just like Shin, but he was tired of all the wars and hatred perpetuated by mortals.

- His backstory: Okay so Zamasu easily has the best and most fleshed-out backstory of any villain. We see exactly how and why he falls from grace, the events that lead up to his fall from grace, and his thought process throughout that whole period of time. We also see precisely how he puts his plan in action; how he kills Gowasu and takes the Time Ring, how he uses the Super Dragon Balls to wish for Goku's body, how he kills Goku and his family, how he goes to the Future and recruits his Counterpart, how he attacks the Earth and fights Trunks on several occasions for one year, etc. etc. etc. All in his backstory is explained, but not in an obnoxious way, you don't have 200 flashbacks with sad violin music, but what you do have is thorough explanation with flashbacks of how he got in the position (both mentally/emotionally and power-wise) he's in at the start of the arc.

- His presence on-screen: I think this is a very underrated quality a villain can have. When it comes to villains, I've noticed that most people (here and elsewhere) mostly focus on their motivations, backstory, powers, how they make sense in the story, but not on how threatening they are on-screen. What is also very important for a villain is to have a strong presence on-screen, every time the villain appears he should look threatening, and it can't be denied that Zamasu dominated every time he was on-screen. Every time the protagonists tried to fight him they got their ass kicked and had to go back to the past, his debut was easily the best Villain introduction in all of DB (with him initially appearing as a mysterious, almost bodiless entity hidden by clouds, and how he is gradually revealed as the episode progresses). Throughout the arc Zamasu was always in a position of superiority over his enemies, which made him for a very memorable and threatening villain.
Included in this category is the fact that Zamasu ultimately succeeded where every other villain failed. He got Immortality (Frieza failed), become the Strongest and most Perfect being in the Cosmos that could only be defeated by Grand Zeno (Cell failed), and he annihilated all life in the Cosmos (Majin Buu failed). His plan proceeded perfectly, he accomplished everything he set out to do (like taking Goku's body, wishing for Immortality, killing all the Gods, etc.) and in the end no one could stop him except for Zeno. It can't get more threatening than that for a villain. When you get so strong and almighty that literally only the supreme ruler of the entire franchise can defeat you.

Other, more minor reasons why he's my favourite character is his theme (it's a jammer), his VAs (both Sub and Dub their voices are perfect for him, Goku's VAs are also included because they speak in a tone that truly conveys the idea that this man is not actually Goku, but a haughty God controlling his body), and, last but not least, his design, I really like the fact that Zamasu is a Kai, because his design actually makes for a very unique villain design in DB. I mean, look at most villains of DB, they are either weird alien mutants or ugly monsters, so Zamasu, who looks like Shin and Old Kai (allies and peaceful Gods of Creation), makes for a very effective design. I also think the Saiyan hair (for Fused Zamasu) works really well with the Kai design and elf-like ears. I think that Zamasu is extremely effective in his design because, normally, when you look at a Kai you see a benevolent God who is friends with Goku. When you look at Goku you see, well, Goku, the greatest hero. But then you have a villain who not only is a Supreme Kai gone rogue, but also stole Goku's body and used it for genocide. So now you look at a Kai who isn't peaceful but genocidal, and you look at Goku killing innocents and blowing up cities. This is an extremely effective idea for a villain.

So was this enough passion, it's not the longest essay I've written about Zamasu but it will have to do :think:
Last edited by SupremeKai25 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:04 am

He genuinely believes he is doing the right thing and is righteous. And even if it's hard to justify his actions (although possible :think: ), that makes for an extremely complex and multi-layered villain, at least for DB standards.
Someone can justify a serial killer's actions if they look at them from a serial killer's POV. What makes Zamasu a villain is that his actions are not justifiable in any way from any sane POV. I get that you love the character and that's fine, but I don't understand the need to make him look like he's in the right.
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:18 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:04 am
He genuinely believes he is doing the right thing and is righteous. And even if it's hard to justify his actions (although possible :think: ), that makes for an extremely complex and multi-layered villain, at least for DB standards.
Someone can justify a serial killer's actions if they look at them from a serial killer's POV. What makes Zamasu a villain is that his actions are not justifiable in any way from any sane POV. I get that you love the character and that's fine, but I don't understand the need to make him look like he's in the right.
You would have to explain what "sane" means in the Dragon Ball universe and what a "sane person" is, in the Dragon Ball universe where the first scene is about a teenage girl randomly shooting a kid in the face with a gun (not knowing that the kid is supernatural).

Also I guess Beerus is also a villain then, since you can't justify blowing up the Earth just because he was denied pudding :think:

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:27 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:18 am You would have to explain what "sane" means in the Dragon Ball universe and what a "sane person" is, in the Dragon Ball universe where the first scene is about a teenage girl randomly shooting a kid in the face with a gun (not knowing that the kid is supernatural).

Also I guess Beerus is also a villain then, since you can't justify blowing up the Earth just because he was denied pudding :think:
This is a reach. Dragon Ball was a pure gag/adventure manga when Bulma shot Goku. Sure, it doesn't make her a good person, but it's clearly not a dramatic moment or meant to be taken seriously. And even later in the series when Lunch shoots at Roshi, Krillin and Goku or shoots into crowds, yes it's morally wrong (blonde Lunch isn't a good person), but it's also played for laughs and no one is seriously in danger. Beerus' actual role is to destroy planets; it's not something he did out of hatred for mortals, so he's neutral. Either way, these characters being morally dubious or not changes nothing about Zamasu.

Zamasu is meant to oversee things, nothing more. Him going rogue and committing genocide is treated seriously in the story, not as comedy. Again, I don't understand this desire to make Zamasu seem justified because he's your favorite character. I doubt we're going to change each other's thinking so I'll just leave it at that.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:59 am

Goku as he was presented in the DB/Z/GT anime and movies. Often heroic, sometimes selfish, and always training to better himself. And despite not being booksmart or overly intelligent he clearly had common sense, a good head on his shoulders, and was a genius in the art of fighting.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:07 am

Growing up it was Gohan when I saw the Cell games for the first time, but think he was everyone's favourite back then. As I watched the rest of the series I settled on Goku. There's just something very endearing about his love for fighting, naivety and adventurous spirit. Maybe it's because he symbolizes everything there is to love about Dragon Ball, but I have to say it's Goku without question.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BeaBumby
Beyond Newbie

Post by BeaBumby » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:22 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:57 am Easily Zamasu, for a vast plethora of different reasons.

- His personality: Zamasu is extremely methodical and thorough in his approach, often making sure that there's no one who can threaten him. He immediately and swiftly killed Goku after he had no use left for him, he surgically scoured the Cosmos for all the Gods and slaughtered them so that they would not impede his plans, and he hunted down and systematically eliminated all mortals in the Universes. He devised an extremely complex plan after careful planning, and following this plan he quickly got rid of anyone who could have posed an obstacle to him. But Zamasu is also very entertaining, he often makes jokes and laughs, he's not a boring generic villain, he is entertaining. Like that time when he said that he doesn't care if no one's listening to him because he doesn't need an audience (still my favourite and most relatable quote, like, ever). Or that time Goku Black (Zamasu) roasted Vegeta, calling him an "appetizer" and basically a snack before the main dish.

- His motivations: Zamasu is unique in the setting, he's not evil for the sake of being evil, he's a misguided God who always wanted to establish peace and order and destroy evil. He hunts down and kills mortals because he thinks that mortals are evil and a threat to the stability of the Cosmos. He genuinely believes he is doing the right thing and is righteous. And even if it's hard to justify his actions (although possible :think: ), that makes for an extremely complex and multi-layered villain, at least for DB standards. He even cries for his ideals because he genuinely believes he is doing a good thing and is just protecting the cosmos from creatures that he sees as evil. Even Toriyama said that Zamasu is a unique villain and the first villain in the franchise who is not just an evil monster who does evil things for shits and giggles. He was originally good just like Shin, but he was tired of all the wars and hatred perpetuated by mortals.

- His backstory: Okay so Zamasu easily has the best and most fleshed-out backstory of any villain. We see exactly how and why he falls from grace, the events that lead up to his fall from grace, and his thought process throughout that whole period of time. We also see precisely how he puts his plan in action; how he kills Gowasu and takes the Time Ring, how he uses the Super Dragon Balls to wish for Goku's body, how he kills Goku and his family, how he goes to the Future and recruits his Counterpart, how he attacks the Earth and fights Trunks on several occasions for one year, etc. etc. etc. All in his backstory is explained, but not in an obnoxious way, you don't have 200 flashbacks with sad violin music, but what you do have is thorough explanation with flashbacks of how he got in the position (both mentally/emotionally and power-wise) he's in at the start of the arc.

- His presence on-screen: I think this is a very underrated quality a villain can have. When it comes to villains, I've noticed that most people (here and elsewhere) mostly focus on their motivations, backstory, powers, how they make sense in the story, but not on how threatening they are on-screen. What is also very important for a villain is to have a strong presence on-screen, every time the villain appears he should look threatening, and it can't be denied that Zamasu dominated every time he was on-screen. Every time the protagonists tried to fight him they got their ass kicked and had to go back to the past, his debut was easily the best Villain introduction in all of DB (with him initially appearing as a mysterious, almost bodiless entity hidden by clouds, and how he is gradually revealed as the episode progresses). Throughout the arc Zamasu was always in a position of superiority over his enemies, which made him for a very memorable and threatening villain.
Included in this category is the fact that Zamasu ultimately succeeded where every other villain failed. He got Immortality (Frieza failed), become the Strongest and most Perfect being in the Cosmos that could only be defeated by Grand Zeno (Cell failed), and he annihilated all life in the Cosmos (Majin Buu failed). His plan proceeded perfectly, he accomplished everything he set out to do (like taking Goku's body, wishing for Immortality, killing all the Gods, etc.) and in the end no one could stop him except for Zeno. It can't get more threatening than that for a villain. When you get so strong and almighty that literally only the supreme ruler of the entire franchise can defeat you.

Other, more minor reasons why he's my favourite character is his theme (it's a jammer), his VAs (both Sub and Dub their voices are perfect for him, Goku's VAs are also included because they speak in a tone that truly conveys the idea that this man is not actually Goku, but a haughty God controlling his body), and, last but not least, his design, I really like the fact that Zamasu is a Kai, because his design actually makes for a very unique villain design in DB. I mean, look at most villains of DB, they are either weird alien mutants or ugly monsters, so Zamasu, who looks like Shin and Old Kai (allies and peaceful Gods of Creation), makes for a very effective design. I also think the Saiyan hair (for Fused Zamasu) works really well with the Kai design and elf-like ears. I think that Zamasu is extremely effective in his design because, normally, when you look at a Kai you see a benevolent God who is friends with Goku. When you look at Goku you see, well, Goku, the greatest hero. But then you have a villain who not only is a Supreme Kai gone rogue, but also stole Goku's body and used it for genocide. So now you look at a Kai who isn't peaceful but genocidal, and you look at Goku killing innocents and blowing up cities. This is an extremely effective idea for a villain.

So was this enough passion, it's not the longest essay I've written about Zamasu but it will have to do :think:
okay hard mode do not say zamasu or goku black
she/her yknow

Ironixie

Post by Ironixie » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:06 am

I truly don't know honestly, I think I liked how the characters interact with each other more, rather than the characters themselves at heart, I never truly like a character themselves but more so how effective they are at telling the story, telling a story with a character who themselves are also a story is what I like, I also like how characters interact with each other. In conclusion, I may value one character over another one but it doesn't mean that I inherently like them more than the other one.

Osmium

Post by Osmium » Sat May 07, 2022 6:42 pm

My favourite character is Karin

I like his design, I like his character, and I like what he represents. It was a great twist when the sacred land of Karin and the tower was built up to such an extent for it to be revealed that the wise master was a tiny cat with a sneaky attitude.

Even though we’ve seen him several times throughout the series, he’s still a very mysterious figure for all that he can do. I’ve always thought it was a pity we never get to see him in a true battle to see what he’s truly capable of.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sun May 08, 2022 5:52 am

Goku, then Freeza, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan