Opinion of Abridged?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Opinion of Abridged?

Post by Peach » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:58 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:52 pmI still don't get "snobby" from the complaints.
Have you seen them at conventions? Hadn't done any professional voice work yet, but had a panel of like 7+ people at youmacon. Replacing actual professional guests that myself and many people wanted.

One of the team four star guys was shirtless at a panel. They acted like they were at wrestlemania and had a WWE belt, and were screaming and everything. I was an Abridged fan then, but their unprofessional fratboy behavior and huge egos made me re-evaluate being a fan of them in the first place. Then, they produce the series in an overproduced manner and in a way like they're buying into the myth that they're better than the dub.

I'm just totally apathetic to team four star now.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:04 am

Gridlock wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:49 am
ABED wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:14 pm
Who cares if it a parody when if it's the same general plot.
Because stories are more than a general plot.
But I know the story already. Watched the anime three time by now, and read the manga. So whats wrong in digesting it again, but in a shortened form to save time, and maybe look at it from a different perspective?
Because by definition you aren't. It's not DB, it's a parody.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:06 am

It's quite entertaining, the humour is smart and has a lot of Easter eggs for hardcore fans, like referring to Dende as "Little Green".

I also think Lawrence Simpson (AKA MasakoX) is brilliant as Goku. I'd love to see what he could do in a serious dub as he emulates Nozawa quite well.

Sad that because Abridged is not an officially licensed product it could never get a Blu-Ray release because I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Gridlock

Post by Gridlock » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:37 am

ABED wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:04 am
ABED wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:14 pm
Because stories are more than a general plot.
But I know the story already. Watched the anime three time by now, and read the manga. So whats wrong in digesting it again, but in a shortened form to save time, and maybe look at it from a different perspective?
Sorry, but thats a very anal approach to this. I guess all I can do is agree to disagree with you, and move on.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:18 am

I think it was funny at the beginning for it's novelty and around the Saiyan arc, also Movie 8 was kinda funny.
But nothing I would return to or substitute the actual show with it. It's funny, the dub is made by people who can actually dub on professional level in my opinion, but I think it got a bit overhyped and overblown by some fans in comparison to official material.
For this, you can only say that the guys did a really good job, even so that some of them actually provided custom voices for CAC's in Xenoverse, which was ingenious easter egg - another cool fact from Japanese version, you can have CAC with voice of Char Aznable's actor from Gundam :lol:

Sure, in comparison to the first Funi dub of Z, Abridged is actually more fun to watch and is funnily enough not as cringey.
And with Kai being subpar to Z, basically an abridged version with low-budget redrawns, US and english speaking audience has plethora of weird Z adaptations to begin with, which I could clearly substitute with Abridged.
Altough to be fair, US Kai is a proper dub and adaptation to english if you don't count the weird censorship version with blue Popo
and first version of the series, that is acceptable to me, with Chris Ayres being probably the best international actor that can hold the candle to Ryusei Nakao.

So my end opinion, it was fun while it lasted at the beginning, for the novelty and crazy ideas versus a pretty much on par with professional adaptation. Masako-X does actually pretty good impression of Goku and is a good counterpart to Masako Nozawa, including his take on Gohan. But I take it what it is, fun stuff. For Dragon Ball, I am sticking with DB, DBZ, GT and Super in Japanese with subs :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:30 am

The MasakoX sounds like Nozawa’s Goku that’s being brought up a couple times is odd to me. MasakoX is pretty much doing a Kelamis impression, which makes sense because he’s from the UK and would have grown up with Kelamis Goku.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:41 am

Gridlock wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:37 am
ABED wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:04 am

Sorry, but thats a very anal approach to this. I guess all I can do is agree to disagree with you, and move on.
That's not being anal, it's just calling it what it is. It's objectively correct to call it a parody.

And I know taste is subjective, but for the folks calling Abridged "brilliant" and the like, I beg of you, watch comedy performed by people with great comedic timing. Abridged is not smart, it's just random "jokes" dropped randomly.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:50 am

ABED wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:41 am . Abridged is not smart, it's just random "jokes" dropped randomly.
This isn’t in defense of their later humor, but the random joke things got mostly phased out after season 1 in favor of more “exaggerate the characters personalities” “a bunch of meta jokes about the franchise” and then later a more fanficcy wish fulfillment direction.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:58 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:30 am The MasakoX sounds like Nozawa’s Goku that’s being brought up a couple times is odd to me. MasakoX is pretty much doing a Kelamis impression, which makes sense because he’s from the UK and would have grown up with Kelamis Goku.
MasakoX's memory is very hazy on the original broadcasts. He has said that in the UK the dub switched from Ocean to Funimation every 10 episodes, which is incorrect as Z edited episodes 108-238 and 261-276 never aired with the Texas cast. He also said he grew up on the Blue Water dub of GT on one occasion and at another said it was the Funimation dub, although I'm assuming he said the latter by accident as it's what most people are familiar with. I don't know if he saw the inhouse dub through receiving recorded tapes or home releases he received from the US but having seen the Cartoon Network, CNX and Toonami UK airings I see much of the Mandela effect in his narrative.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

ZeroIsOurHero
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroIsOurHero » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:06 am

ABED wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:41 am That's not being anal, it's just calling it what it is. It's objectively correct to call it a parody.
Abridged is technically a parody, but that’s not really the point. The point is that you seem incapable of accepting that some people watch Abridged as a fun little refresher of the series plot, and act like the only way to get “the true experience” is to watch all 500 episodes of the original show. That’s an incredibly anal attitude. Some people have lives, you know, they don’t have the time to sit down and rewatch the full show when they can watch a parody for a fraction of the time.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:17 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:30 am The MasakoX sounds like Nozawa’s Goku that’s being brought up a couple times is odd to me. MasakoX is pretty much doing a Kelamis impression, which makes sense because he’s from the UK and would have grown up with Kelamis Goku.
I have completely forgot about that! Actually, Kelamis was pretty good! I have watched that version of Movie 2 years ago and that was actually what DBZ adaptation of Z in english should have been, complete with Shunsuke Kikuchi's score.
I was surprised that such approach was limited and actually abandoned.
Let me correct myself then, in my opinion Kelamis and MasakoX hold the candle to Nozawa's portrayal then.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:33 am

One thing they did really great were the filler episodes. The Maron/Marron episode, Krilin cashing his life insurance post-Namek, the driving episode, the Garlic Jr. mini arc is also funny, I think the only filler episode I think I didn't enjoy was the Fake Namek one, although I don't remember it that well.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:27 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:06 am It's quite entertaining, the humour is smart and has a lot of Easter eggs for hardcore fans, like referring to Dende as "Little Green".

I also think Lawrence Simpson (AKA MasakoX) is brilliant as Goku. I'd love to see what he could do in a serious dub as he emulates Nozawa quite well.

Sad that because Abridged is not an officially licensed product it could never get a Blu-Ray release because I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Why would you buy a Blu Ray of something that's available for free in its entirety on YouTube? There is no reality where Abridged would ever be an officially licensed product so this is just a strange thing to say.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Demon Prince Piccolo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Demon Prince Piccolo » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:40 am

Peach wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:58 am
Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:52 pmI still don't get "snobby" from the complaints.
Have you seen them at conventions? Hadn't done any professional voice work yet, but had a panel of like 7+ people at youmacon. Replacing actual professional guests that myself and many people wanted.

One of the team four star guys was shirtless at a panel. They acted like they were at wrestlemania and had a WWE belt, and were screaming and everything. I was an Abridged fan then, but their unprofessional fratboy behavior and huge egos made me re-evaluate being a fan of them in the first place. Then, they produce the series in an overproduced manner and in a way like they're buying into the myth that they're better than the dub.

I'm guessing you meant to quote my comment that they seem like a great bunch of guys? That was moreso of an (unsuccessful) attempt to appease the little debate I was a part of awhile ago, not-so-much something I strongly feel. :P
The story of DRAGON BALL starts from the moment Goku met Bulma. I don't really mind the Z, so long as it's understood that it's not the true beginning of the story.

I actually prefer the Goku vs Tenshinhan and Goku vs Piccolo Jr. rivalries to the Goku vs Vegeta rivalry.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:24 am

it was one of the first things I watched online and brought me back to dragon ball during the pandemics (I used to belong to star wars until the latest horrible movie so I quit that fandom broken hearted)

It was nice cause the situation was very depressing with the lockdown but I could laugh and laugh and laugh for free by watching that on my phone. I am from latin america so TFS was not famous by the years I used to assist to comic convention so I missed all of the hype that there was as it was being aired.... I think I would not watch youtube at all at that time.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:30 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:27 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:06 am It's quite entertaining, the humour is smart and has a lot of Easter eggs for hardcore fans, like referring to Dende as "Little Green".

Why would you buy a Blu Ray of something that's available for free in its entirety on YouTube? There is no reality where Abridged would ever be an officially licensed product so this is just a strange thing to say.
Because I like Dragon Ball physical media and the internet isn't always reliable.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:00 pm

ZeroIsOurHero wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:06 am
ABED wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:41 am That's not being anal, it's just calling it what it is. It's objectively correct to call it a parody.
Abridged is technically a parody, but that’s not really the point. The point is that you seem incapable of accepting that some people watch Abridged as a fun little refresher of the series plot, and act like the only way to get “the true experience” is to watch all 500 episodes of the original show. That’s an incredibly anal attitude. Some people have lives, you know, they don’t have the time to sit down and rewatch the full show when they can watch a parody for a fraction of the time.
I see that they do, but it's not a refresher as it's a parody. You don't watch Spaceballs and say "I'm all caught up on Star Wars!"

For the love of god, this isn't whether they like it but it is not the same as watching a condensed version of the show. Watch whatever you want but call it what it is.

That is absolutely the point. Considering this a condensed version of the show is putting it on a similar level as the show itself. It's not.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:19 pm

When I was in my late teens and early 20's I thought it was pretty funny, but by the end of Season 3 it had gotten to "into itself", if that makes any sense. That said, it was an effective "gateway drug" to get some of my friends to eventually give the series proper a chance, which is cool.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:54 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:47 pm Bruh, I don't know how you took our comments as snobbish. For mine, it's the exact opposite, I'm complaining that the humour became too wordy and pretentious and that I preferred it when the tone and humour was dumber! I don't think anyone here is taking DBZA as seriously as you claim. Even so, it's hard not to compare DBZA to the original show when it's literally an abridged version of DBZ, with the same characters, same animation, and so on. It's like how fanfiction inevitably gets measured up against the original work. When two things are riffing off the same base material, that's just natural.
Well first I want to clarify I didn’t mean it in an insulting way when I used the word snobbish, it’s just how many comments here came off, and I did explain the 'how 'or ‘why’ already, several times. But apart from maybe making me feel a bit like an uncultured farm boy for liking Abridged lol, I wasn’t particularly bothered by them. The only reason I brought it up was because of this weird and overly agressive way in which Demon Prince Piccolo responded to a person who made a comment (not even directed at him) about how the fans here were coming off whiny (it’s what I underestood from him commenting “the irony of the fans ruining a series”).
I agree with that because people in many of the comments, were, in fact, whining.
Complaining about the fanbase, the creators and about the inferiority of the parody in comparison to DBZ in such a way as if any of that was somehow offending or affecting the real series or their viewing experience.
I think that sort of attitude ruins things more than the people annoyingly quoting Abridged phrases. Which is why I felt the comment that person made was totally on point.

You say you don’t think anybody actually thinks like that, probably because maybe you didn’t read everything. I mean I don’t know if you’d actually want me to be very specific, otherwise I don’t want to re-read this whole thread to find the specific comments.
Regarding your post I was mostly referring to this part, at least this is what felt snobbish to me: “pretentious and self-referential for my liking. Pretty much the opposite of Toriyama's humour.”
The thing about “toriyama’s humor” feels like too much of an elevated and technical critique to give to a fan made parody that is not meant to be taken that seriously. And the term “pretentious” is probably one of the top preset snobby terms that snobs apply when making critiques. Usually.
it's hard not to compare DBZA to the original show when it's literally an abridged version of DBZ, with the same characters, same animation, and so on.
I mean yes, obviously it’s the same animation and characters. But considering the tone makes it something completely different, as it’s the intention, I’m having trouble understanding how/why would somebody compare the two.
Also dumb things like videos of “who did it better” are.. obviously, jokes. People having fun with the parody. For some here to be SO bothered by that and take it so seriously is kinda jarring to me, and it does seem kinda arrogant. Like DBZ is so solemn it’s an insult for it to have a parody version and even a greater insult that some people would prefer it. (Which is not even the case for me), but I think people who do shouldn’t be considered a threat to the DBZ viewing experience.
Last edited by dva_raza on Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:12 am

Demon Prince Piccolo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:40 am
Peach wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:58 am

I'm guessing you meant to quote my comment that they seem like a great bunch of guys? That was moreso of an (unsuccessful) attempt to appease the little debate I was a part of awhile ago, not-so-much something I strongly feel. :P

Sorry. This kinda gave me mixed signals:

"thanks for at least stating your points in a way that allows for an actual good discussion on the matter"

(the very next post):
“I'm not really passionate on arguing this any further.”

Previous to that last one I had thought I could respond, I didn’t realize you were so uncomfortable you would feel you have to “appease” anything, let alone with lies or things you "don't feel so strongly about".. lol wth
I understand there can be topics one is simply not interested in getting into, but that obviously wasn’t the case for you here, otherwise you wouldn’t have eagerly jumped into it when that guy made a comment that was not even directed at you right? So it’s funny that you say things like - “sometimes I wonder how many members actually engage or have discussions with people in real life” but you apparently can’t even handle a friendly confrontation online.

Anyway, I'm sorry.
I’ll tell you how to be succesful in ‘appeasing’ a debate (which I didn’t realize this was, I thought it was just a conversation):
Try to give a real response.
That would feel like you respect what’s being said enough to read it, and that would a 100% sure be more appreciated than fake, condescending phrases that I find it funny you could possibly believe they’d come off as friendly or genuine to anyone who is over ten years old, they just feel taken out from a “manners” book on how to retreat gracefully when you’re losing a debate.